Alarm.com Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Alarm.com Interview Questions

Updated Jan 22, 2018

2.9

Project Manager Interview

Application

The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Alarm.com.

Interview

Phone screen, phone interview, then 4.5 hr long onsite interview. The whole process took over 5 weeks. They started a reference check and recruiter was saying they were ready to prepare the offer, but the next day he said they are going with an internal candidate instead. Very disappointing given how long the interview process took.

Interview Questions

• if you had 50 black and 50 white marbles and 2 boxes to mix them in, how would you do it so there's an increased probability of pulling out a white marble?   Answer Question

Product Management Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Alarm.com (Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA) in December 2017.

Interview

I was contacted in early October (10/4) to interview for the Product Management Associate position. The process began with an initial HR phone screen (10/6), followed by one with a Product Manager a few weeks later (10/20). From here, I was invited onsite (11/17), where I interviewed with 4 Product Managers. Lunch was provided at some chinese restaurant (the only fun part about the process tbh). After this "superday," I was contacted for two additional phone interviews with a Product Manager (12/12) and a "director" PM (12/29). Ultimately, I was not what the company was looking for and was rejected roughly a week following this final interview (such is life -_-)

Interview Questions

• The interviews were largely behavioral with a few brainteasers thrown into the mix.   Answer Question
    • largely behavioral with a few brainteasers thrown into the mix   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Alarm.com (McLean, VA) in December 2017.

Interview

I applied online in late May and was given a HackerRank coding test. My contact said I scored really well but told me that the position was being put on hold for a few months because they'd recently acquired a company in California. Fine, but I was disappointed because this was only within a few days of me originally applying.

Three months later, I followed up with my contact and had a phone interview. Afterwards, I was sent the exact same HackerRank test as before and asked to complete it for a second time. Again, he said I did pretty well and sent me onto the hiring managers. I was told they should get back to him by the next week, but they never did. By then, it was approaching October, and the entire company was apparently busy preparing for some big event.

They ignored all my follow-ups for about the next month and a half until my contact finally replied in November. The next couple weeks were spent trying to schedule a day to fly into their HQ. I was told it would be one day but never received any confirmation or travel details before that date had passed. After my contact failed to get that date scheduled, he had to push things back again, but not without mismatching the dates for my flight and hotel reservations for the new interview date.

When I finally made it to their HQ, I had four 45-minute interviews with two software engineers and two directors of software engineering. I was also taken to lunch by two other engineers. Once everything was all said and done, I was told to expect a response within 1-2 weeks and was sent on my way home. I received a generic canned response in two business days without the option to reply to the email.

This entire process was slow, unorganized, and lackluster.

Interview Questions

• Few behavioral questions, mostly questions about past projects and work experience.   Answer Question
    • Describe, at a high level, how a genetic algorithm works.   Answer Question
    • What would be the fairest way to pick the top 3 teams in a competition with 20 teams?   Answer Question
    • Find a particular element in a given SQL database.   Answer Question
    • Given a stream of integers of unknown length, select a random integer from the stream once the stream has been closed. Give pseudocode for a solution that runs in constant space.   Answer Question
    • Given the implementation for a BST's iterator, determine the order in which nodes will be returned.   Answer Question
    • Debug code   Answer Question

Quality Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tysons Corner, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Alarm.com (Tysons Corner, VA) in December 2017.

Interview

Phone Screen with HR, then a phone interview with a Quality Engineer, then an on-site visit where I interviewed with 6 different people for 45 minutes each. Full day on-site interview.

Interview Questions

• A lot of questions referring to my resume - just need to be able to speak to your previous roles and experiences and be able to relate them to the position. A couple of brain teasers, and test cases were given as well.   Answer Question

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Alarm.com (Washington, DC) in November 2017.

Interview

90 minute coding test focusing heavily on algorithms. The test is pretty hard if you don't study algorithms for a while beforehand. The algorithm questions weren't really hard to solve but the time constraints made it difficult. It takes a bit to map them out and come to a solution and then implement it.

Interview Questions

• Hacker rank questions. Can't disclose the specific question and I assume it's random every time.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Alarm.com (McLean, VA) in October 2017.

Interview

After an online application and phone screening, 4 back-to-back interviews took place on-site. Each interview was a one-on-one with a developer from a given department, and each lasted about 45 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Given: a quantity of 5-length blocks, a quantity of 1-length blocks, and a target length, return true/false if the target length can be achieved with a subset of the given blocks.   1 Answer
    • Why does Java prevent multi-class inheritance? How would you achieve similar functionality?   1 Answer

Management Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Alarm.com (Washington, DC) in October 2017.

Interview

A behavioral phone interview, followed by a 45 minute phone interview. The first interview was very easy and relaxed, as they just asked me a little about myself and why I was interested in alarm.com. The second phone interview was much more involved. There were questions about my resume, why I thought the role would be a good fit for me, as well as a brain teaser question. It was a good experience even though I didn't get asked to the Super Day.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to hit the ground running and learn on the job.   Answer Question

Director of Talent Acquisition Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Alarm.com in September 2017.

Interview

Alarm.com leveraged a third party with very little knowledge of the roll and poor communication. After a call with the third party I had a phone interview and was asked to come in person. I scheduled this interview with the third party and took a day off work to accommodate. Two days prior i was notified by the agency that the individual i was meeting with was on travel and this may need to be rescheduled. Never heard back again and burned a day of PTO for nothing

Upon reaching out to the individual at Alarm.com directly a week later I was informed that i was not what they needed skill wise and they hired someone else (not sure why they couldn't have reached this conclusion based upon our phone call) They then suggested another role that they might have and asked if I would be interested. I responded that I would like to learn more but never heard back after that. What a waste of time.

Overall, I experience poor communication and a bad candidate experience. Unfortunate that this level of engagement is happening at the very top. Not a good sign and is probably why the role has been open for over a year. Not to mention the candidate they just hired rescinded the offer (more third parties have been reaching out).

Interview Questions

• What do you think would be your biggest obstacles to success in the role   Answer Question

Tech Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Alarm.com (Washington, DC).

Interview

I had NINE interviews including two brief phone interviews, then six onsite interviews in DC (they were looking for someone in a different city), and a follow-up interview interview with their CA site.

After eight interviews, it had not come out that they were looking for a person who can do tech writing for both human interfaces and APIs. The skills for API were just listed as "preferred" skills. As it turns out, the API skills were the most urgent tech writing skills they needed.

Yet, they posted those skills as "preferred" and flew me to DC without telling me their most urgent skills were actually what they listed as "preferred."

I hit the mark on every single qualification they asked for and about 80% of their preferred skills. They just didn't tell me they were looking for an API writer until my NINTH interview.

THEN! I got a canned rejection email after NINE interviews and lots of positive feedback. Not my fault that they didn't know what they were looking for. They wasted my time and money, and then they sent me a canned rejection email instead of giving me a call. Nine interviews and positive feedback throughout the process warrants a call.

Product Manager Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tysons Corner, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Alarm.com (Tysons Corner, VA) in June 2017.

Interview

Three phone interviews, then seven on-site interviews. Received high praise and positive feedback. Then, never heard from them again. Recruiter and Hiring Manager refuse to reply to emails. Bad performance.

Interview Questions

• Describe a management situation where you overcame adversity.   Answer Question