Alarm.com Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Alarm.com Interview Questions

Updated Mar 12, 2017

2.9

Quality Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Alarm.com.

Interview

Very short phone interview, about 15-20 min. Typical behavioral questions and questions regarding my resume. They asked why I wanted to be a quality engineer or what experience I had with quality assurance.

Support Operations Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Alarm.com (Bloomington, MN) in January 2017.

Interview

Basic phone screen with HR, then they brought me in for an in person interview. I had some more basic interview questions with the girl from HR before I was left alone for 45 mins. in a room with an iPad and a sheet with VERY basic instructions. Had to figure out how to solve all the questions on my own. This was immediately followed by a 3-person panel style interview with all Team Leads. They were all super nice and made me feel comfortable the whole time. The panel interview questions were much more in depth and I could tell that they were looking to see if I was qualified for the job as well as a good fit for the team.

Interview Questions

• Tell us something that you are proud of that is not listed on your resume.   1 Answer

Embedded Firmware Engineer Interview Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Alarm.com (Arlington, VA).

Interview

Coding challenge - standard hacker rank or coding bat or something
    Couple of phone screens - few technical, go through experience
    On-site - this was my favorite part. Super chill, everyone was nice and interested in my experience.
    Super weird after on-site call that is the actual interview imo. (more about this soon)

Now after the onsite, i felt like i def got the job, my experience was ~extremely~ relevant to the company's stuff. Like down to recreating their core business, etc. but of course you don't want to jump to conclusions. Everything seemed to go well until the Monday after the onsite, i was scheduled for another phone screen. First time ever having to do a phone interview after the onsite. Anyway, just like the other Embedded Firmware Engineer Interview (below?) they wanted an embedded linux person with android experience. Without going into too much specifics, i explained was in a position to have all these learnt by the time the job starts (irrespective of getting the job or not). Anyyyyway after a ridiculous wait, got rejected.

All in all no biggie, i feel the rejection was unjustified and the communication was incredibly slow and annoying but we'll both move on to the next job right (the job is already back up on job sites). I feel like the position is misadvertised. They're clearly looking for a more specialized person and that should be clear from the start.

Interview Questions

• C questions
      Behavioral questions
      Android/linux experience
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Alarm.com (New York, NY).

Interview

Had two phone interviews, then an in-person day of interviews at their headquarters in Tysons. It was a very long day, and I had about 8 interviews (45 mins each). They asked everything about my resume, and some technical questions and brain teasers/case studies.

Interview Questions

• if you, your boss, and a co-worker are standing on the three corners of a giant slice of pizza, and you can go either clockwise or counterclockwise, what're the odds there will be a collision?   Answer Question

Software Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Alarm.com (Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA) in November 2016.

Interview

Coding test followed by phone interview. The person interviewing me was very nice and gave hints when I was stuck. The HR person I talked to was also very nice.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I did not negotiate.

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Alarm.com (New York, NY).

Interview

Had a quick HR phone call, then set up an appointment for a 'technical interview' calll. The interview was super easy, just conceptual coding questions, no actual coding was done. Got a follow up e-mail asking for unofficial transcript and to fill out employment application form.

Seemed like everything was going well, but I assume once they saw my GPA from the transcript they didn't want to hire me anymore. Considering how easy their technical interview was, if they're going to discriminate based off GPA they should have a requirement straight up before people apply so they don't waste the interviewee's time.

Interview Questions

• How many bits are in a byte?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Alarm.com (Washington, DC).

Interview

I met the company at a career fair and then was called that night for an on campus interview. This interview was normal interview style questions. The next week I was called to visit their headquarters in Tyson's Corner in DC. This interview was longer and I spoke to 6 people. They asked many questions about my resume, had me do little tests, and brain teasers.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Alarm.com (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Great atmosphere and paid lunch during the interview. Interviews consisted of 1 phone, hackerrank, and on-site.

One interviewer looked like he didn't care about what I told him. Another did not maintain eye contact. And the other interviewers were pretty cool and made me like this company. I heard back from my results fairly quickly.

One major thing I did not like was this company does not pay for travel (or if they did, they don't reply to emails after giving you your results). They do however pay for your hotel.

Embedded Firmware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Alarm.com (McLean, VA) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied online and had a phone screen, then a grueling 8 hour long interview. Each person I spoke to took an hour, lunch was a couple of young people who cared a little too much about their own colleges. I even spoke to Jean-Paul, which meant I had passed the other screeners, but in the end, I think they weren't actually interviewing me for the right position. They wanted an embedded Linux programmer that was good with GUI, and I am a pure embedded guy good with sensors, buses, low-power and everything else but GUIs. They told me that they would get back to me within 48 hours, but it took over 2 weeks, and eventually they declined without explanation.

Interview Questions

• 1) Describe the difference between a semaphore and a mutex and when you might use each.
      2) when would you use an RTOS over Protothreads or Bare Metal implementation.
      3) There was a software test where I had to populate functions with code to make the program print the correct results to the screen.
      4) What is your best quality and worst.
      5) Why did I want to come work for Alarm.com.
      Answer Question

Technical Support Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Alarm.com in June 2016.

Interview

Had a phone interview and an in person interview with HR. Very friendly people, nice building in Bloomington. Did not get the job but it seems like a great place to work!