Alexander Open Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jon Groves

Pros
  • Good support of sales staff by design architects and systems engineers (in 7 reviews)

• The statement that there is no work life balance on many of the reviews below is inaccurate, there is plenty of balance (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • They have the most restrictive non-compete agreement ever and they will go after you with vengeance (in 10 reviews)

• DO NOT GO TO WORK FOR THIS COMPANY (in 4 reviews)

1. "AOS - Work with the best"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Alexander Open Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent training, excellent pay, great employees, great management, as a consultant you are in a different environment constantly, great clients, days go by fast, family owned company so you have a small company feel with a big company atmosphere, best consultants/engineers in the business

Cons

Hours, health care is not the best

Advice to Management

If there is a lot of work to be done for a network cut over, schedule additional engineers to work shifts.

2. "Wrong leadership choices lead to lack of success"

Former Employee - Sales in Remote, OR
    Former Employee - Sales in Remote, OR

I worked at Alexander Open Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is fairly equivalent to other VARs and interview/hiring process is easy and quick

Cons

lack of leadership across the board. Leaders at remote regions micro manage and lead by dictatorship not respect which will be the end of this organization if not changed. Once was a fun and exciting company is now dark and full of skepticism.

Advice to Management

Listen to you employees, not 2 or 3 fortunate people in leadership. They blind you to what the real issues are there for the last 2-3 years.

"Account Manager"

I have been working at Alexander Open Systems full-time

Pros

Best of breed products and services. Big emphasis on training and ethical consulting. Sales people that are motivated by financial reward will thrive. Hard work is financially rewarded.
    It is easy to sell the highly skilled engineering and project management staff.

Cons

Many layers of management, not always focused on the same goals. Ownership involvement changed last year and a new CEO has corrected many of these issues.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in sales, nothing happens until someone sells something...

"Great peer and management support for engineers."

Current Employee - Systems Engineer
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer

I have been working at Alexander Open Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Being with the company 5+ years I have personally experienced the team work of my peers as well as the support of my management team. Training is high on the list of priorities and is financially supported by AOS. Average work weeks are 40 hours. Some weeks are longer but that is to be expected in IT. Good work life balance.

Cons

Communication in most companies is a struggle. With the new CEO it feels like we are back on the right track.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your employees. They are very dedicated. Keep reinforcing our strategic goals and this company can go far.

6. "Vice President"

Current Employee - Vice President Sales in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Vice President Sales in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Alexander Open Systems full-time

Pros

The quality of people, the opportunity to make a lot of money and the excitement of working in the ever changing high tech industry.

Cons

Not allowed to work from home.

Advice to Management

Continue to add additional manufacturers to the line card.

7. "Good example of risk vs reward"

Pros

Opportunity to make a great living if you put the work in. Great team of engineers and presales people!

Cons

Hyper focused on 16 meetings a week, high pressure and stress work (sales though so to be expected.) Health insurance sucks.

Advice to Management

Looking forward to working with Jon Groves!

"Hard Work, but high pay and chance for promotion"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Alexander Open Systems full-time

Pros

I am a current employee and have worked at AOS since 2009. I have had the pleasure to work with some amazing people and make large amounts of money in various sales positions. Many people were skeptical (myself included) after we eliminated our presence in Oklahoma and Texas (it created many negative reviews on Glass Door, and led to the departure of our CEO at the helm during this period).

The good news is that most employees are very excited about the new CEO, and feel that AOS has got its groove back. In the Kansas / Missouri region, the morale has greatly improved and people are really happy with the new compensation plan.

Cons

Need to hire a new trainer for the gym (I think this was eliminated with the regional cuts of 2016)
    Lack of work from home culture
    Need to bring back the Cabo trips

Advice to Management

Keep making changes to improve the company

"TERRIBLE LEADERSHIP -- GLAD GARY ALEXANDER IS GONE!"

I worked at Alexander Open Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good base pay. (you will need it b/c the partners, CISCO, EMC, etc. can't stand AOS in Texas. You are on your own. Don't take the owner to ANY sales call. I later was called after such a meeting and asked to never bring Gary back. He talked non-stop about himself and NEVER asked the customer anything. Further insulted him when the owner bragged about his big house. Uugh! So embarrassing!

Cons

7:50 a.m. bell call. Have your butt in the seat, or get embarrassed. Constant berating, constant training that is not optional, the publish how many appointments you went on. Someone actually sits there and counts how many each person ran. The report is emailed to entire company. Don't even think of working from home. They do not believe in the same technology they sell.

This might possibly be the worst company I've ever worked for. Even worse than a job I had in College where I was asked to try on lingerie for the owner!!

Advice to Management

Glad you guys are millionaires. Not sure how you managed to do it, but I'm guessing on the backs of the reps you broke.

"A realistic view"

I have been working at Alexander Open Systems full-time

Pros

AOS is not the place where you can come in, kick your heels up on your desk, and wait for the deals to start rolling in. I'm amazed at the number of new account managers that are supposed to be experts in their field, that don't understand the basics of the technology that they are trying to sell, and yet aren't willing to learn. I don't expect them to have the level of knowledge as a Design Architect or Systems Engineer, but at the same time, I expect the salesperson at the car dealership to be able to explain the basics of the distinctive features of that new car that I'm buying. Wouldn't you?

Now don't get me wrong, there are some rock-star sales people that we have lost along the way, and it's truly a sad day to see that happen, but at the end of the day, it's business. Things are outside of our control on a daily basis, but it's the risk we take every day. Gary has been ultra aggressive at trying to grow the business and at times it hasn't worked out at as planned, but it happens to all great technology companies. Anyone that thinks Gary wanted to exit any market is foolish, if you owned something that was costing you more money than it was worth month after month wouldn't you try to sell or unload it? If you're a smart business person you would.

There is tons of room to grow at AOS, but you have to be driven to own your career. If you're just waiting for it to be handed to you then you will be on the short list for removal.

Cons

Now to be fair, there are things about AOS to don't thrill me, but at the end of the day, they aren't a deal breaker for me.
    * Work from home is pretty much non-existant for the sales team. My previous sales experience was 100% work from home, so this was a little bit of a shock, but over time I've come to realize that the AOS culture isn't ready to accept this yet.
    * Mileage reimbursement is a little low. With 16 customer appointments a week you put a lot of miles on your personal vehicle. While it's not the end of the world, it makes people consider driving a family sedan versus a luxury sedan to customers sites since the mileage reimbursement barely cover the cost of depreciation.
    * The sales dress code is a little dated. I can understand the System Engineers wearing AOS branded polo's, but having the sales team wear branded clothes seems a little outdated. It seems that we have a dress code to have a rule because people can't use common sense.

Advice to Management

I look forward to having Jon Groves as the new CEO, he brings a wealth of knowledge from outside the walls of AOS.

11. "Positioned for Excellence"

I have been working at Alexander Open Systems full-time

Pros

The opportunity to truly create your own business with the support of best in industry Design Architects, System Engineers and Products at a local level is a unique position in the market. AOS provides the opportunity to be consultative and create solutions well beyond a typical VAR, including practices around Microsoft, ITSM, Security and SharePoint. Money takes care of itself but the quality of people that you are surrounded by make the place special.

Cons

You must be willing to learn constantly, adjust with change and work hard to take care of your customers. Relationships are important and required. If you take care of the customers first, your support team second and the partner manufacturers you will be successful.

Advice to Management

Lead by example and help to streamline processes so the employees can focus on their passions within AOS. Looking forward to a Great 2017.