Alexander Open Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Alexander Open Systems Reviews

Found 78 reviews

2.8
Jon Groves
Pros
  • "The statement that there is no work life balance on many of the reviews below is inaccurate, there is plenty of balance(in 5 reviews)

• "(in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • "AOS isn't always the most forward thinking organization, they tend to lean on their traditional stack more than maybe they should(in 22 reviews)

• "(in 3 reviews)

"Great, local, family owned company with lots of opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Alexander Open Systems full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

I love working for AOS. Everyone is friendly and willing to help. The training, education and resources are almost unlimited. It's fast paced and you have to be willing to put in the work, so if you are driven, enthusiastic about IT and enjoy working with people...this is for you and that hard work will be rewarded. This isn't a job where you can be lackadaisical, work for it and the great pay will follow. High ethical...

Cons

Longer hours when things are busy, which you want :) - the busier the better $

Advice to Management

New CEO Jon Groves is a great guy with vision of taking AOS to the next level. He is experienced from a technical and sales perspective, which is exactly what we need!

2. "Terrible Experience"

I worked at Alexander Open Systems full-time

Pros

None. Cannot think of anything positive.

Cons

Too many to mention here.

• "NOC technician"

Former Employee - NOC Engineer in Olathe, KS

I worked at Alexander Open Systems full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

8am - 5pm hours so not much overtime was available if needed

Cons

High turnover due to low pay

Advice to Management

value your team members

• "easy to get in the door but hard to progress within company"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Alexander Open Systems full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Training is offered for newcomers to this field and culture is ok. decent Work/life balance.

Cons

Training isn't thorough, uniform or organized. Ability to grow within the company for more compensation is slim.

Advice to Management

Listen and consider applying suggestions that employees voice. A lot of "shush-ing" around the office.

"Great Model, Great People, Leadership/Culture Challenges"

Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Alexander Open Systems full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

AOS is a really good company. I enjoyed my time there. The people were great and delivery to the customer was always a priority, which I loved.

Cons

Gary is a shrewd business man. That is good for him and for those who benefit from the business he created. The culture is centered around high micromanagement that I'm sure is labeled as accountability. It's not for everybody. The structure in itself is not bad, it's more about the attitude behind the structure. it feels like you are being whipped when you aren't meeting every metric rather than coached. I would...

Advice to Management

Be flexible. If you want heavy hitters then create a comp plan that attracts heavy hitters and give them room to be great. Let them be creative and think outside the box. The structure can feel suffocating.

"Great company if you're willing to work hard"

Former Employee - Design Architect in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Alexander Open Systems full-time

Pros

AOS is truly the kind of place where you make your own way. If you're willing to put in the time and effort it takes to grow your pipeline and close business you can make a lot of money. If you're not, AOS isn't for you.

Cons

AOS isn't always the most forward thinking organization, they tend to lean on their traditional stack more than maybe they should. Management will also occasionally play favorites, but, in what organization do they not?

Advice to Management

Keep pushing what differentiates AOS from the rest of the pack.

"Weight lifted"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Alexander Open Systems for more than 2 years

Pros

I don't think that there are any that really stood out. Glad it's over

Cons

No real training. The non-compete Agreement is a tad excessive most people I worked with barely had a firm grasp on their job due to lack of training and weren't a real threat. Very unfriendly atmosphere way too much drama and back stabbing taking place

Advice to Management

provide adequate training programs for new hires and friendly more willing supervisors to provide the knowledge and training to make a successful long term employee.

"Wrong leadership choices lead to lack of success"

Former Employee - Sales in Remote, OR

I worked at Alexander Open Systems full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

Pay is fairly equivalent to other VARs and interview/hiring process is easy and quick

Cons

lack of leadership across the board. Leaders at remote regions micro manage and lead by dictatorship not respect which will be the end of this organization if not changed. Once was a fun and exciting company is now dark and full of skepticism.

Advice to Management

Listen to you employees, not 2 or 3 fortunate people in leadership. They blind you to what the real issues are there for the last 2-3 years.

"AOS - Work with the best"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Alexander Open Systems full-time for more than 6 years

Pros

Excellent training, excellent pay, great employees, great management, as a consultant you are in a different environment constantly, great clients, days go by fast, family owned company so you have a small company feel with a big company atmosphere, best consultants/engineers in the business

Cons

Hours, health care is not the best

Advice to Management

If there is a lot of work to be done for a network cut over, schedule additional engineers to work shifts.

"Great peer and management support for engineers."

Current Employee - Systems Engineer

I have been working at Alexander Open Systems full-time for more than 6 years

Pros

Being with the company 5+ years I have personally experienced the team work of my peers as well as the support of my management team. Training is high on the list of priorities and is financially supported by AOS. Average work weeks are 40 hours. Some weeks are longer but that is to be expected in IT. Good work life balance.

Cons

Communication in most companies is a struggle. With the new CEO it feels like we are back on the right track.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your employees. They are very dedicated. Keep reinforcing our strategic goals and this company can go far.

Found 78 reviews