Alexander Open Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 10, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Jon Groves

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The statement that there is no work life balance on many of the reviews below is inaccurate, there is plenty of balance (in 5 reviews)

• Good support of sales staff by design architects and systems engineers (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • DO NOT SIGN THE NON-COMPETE WITHOUT READING (in 10 reviews)

• DO NOT GO TO WORK FOR THIS COMPANY (in 4 reviews)

1. "easy to get in the door but hard to progress within company"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Alexander Open Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Training is offered for newcomers to this field and culture is ok.
    decent Work/life balance.

Cons

Training isn't thorough, uniform or organized.
    Ability to grow within the company for more compensation is slim.

Advice to Management

Listen and consider applying suggestions that employees voice. A lot of "shush-ing" around the office.

2. "Great Model, Great People, Leadership/Culture Challenges"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Alexander Open Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

AOS is a really good company. I enjoyed my time there. The people were great and delivery to the customer was always a priority, which I loved.

Cons

Gary is a shrewd business man. That is good for him and for those who benefit from the business he created. The culture is centered around high micromanagement that I'm sure is labeled as accountability. It's not for everybody. The structure in itself is not bad, it's more about the attitude behind the structure. it feels like you are being whipped when you aren't meeting every metric rather than coached. I would also say that you will find better pay with less oversight in other VAR's. But, if you want to be able to deliver to the customer and like a tight framework to work in then AOS might be a good fit. The lower pay also came with a very low expense reimbursement of $250 a month. The best way to make a friend is to entertain them outside of work. That costs money. It's an investment. If you have the right people, that investment will have a significant return.

Advice to Management

Be flexible. If you want heavy hitters then create a comp plan that attracts heavy hitters and give them room to be great. Let them be creative and think outside the box. The structure can feel suffocating.

"Great company if you're willing to work hard"

Former Employee - Design Architect in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Design Architect in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Alexander Open Systems full-time

Pros

AOS is truly the kind of place where you make your own way. If you're willing to put in the time and effort it takes to grow your pipeline and close business you can make a lot of money. If you're not, AOS isn't for you.

Cons

AOS isn't always the most forward thinking organization, they tend to lean on their traditional stack more than maybe they should. Management will also occasionally play favorites, but, in what organization do they not?

Advice to Management

Keep pushing what differentiates AOS from the rest of the pack.

"Weight lifted"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Alexander Open Systems (More than a year)

Pros

I don't think that there are any that really stood out. Glad it's over

Cons

No real training. The non-compete Agreement is a tad excessive most people I worked with barely had a firm grasp on their job due to lack of training and weren't a real threat.
    Very unfriendly atmosphere way too much drama and back stabbing taking place

Advice to Management

provide adequate training programs for new hires and friendly more willing supervisors to provide the knowledge and training to make a successful long term employee.

"Great, local, family owned company with lots of opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Alexander Open Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love working for AOS. Everyone is friendly and willing to help. The training, education and resources are almost unlimited. It's fast paced and you have to be willing to put in the work, so if you are driven, enthusiastic about IT and enjoy working with people...this is for you and that hard work will be rewarded. This isn't a job where you can be lackadaisical, work for it and the great pay will follow. High ethical standards. Did I mention the constant training/education, nearly unlimited resources, amazing people and great pay?

Cons

Longer hours when things are busy, which you want :) - the busier the better $

Advice to Management

New CEO Jon Groves is a great guy with vision of taking AOS to the next level. He is experienced from a technical and sales perspective, which is exactly what we need!

"Wrong leadership choices lead to lack of success"

Former Employee - Sales in Remote, OR
    Former Employee - Sales in Remote, OR

I worked at Alexander Open Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is fairly equivalent to other VARs and interview/hiring process is easy and quick

Cons

lack of leadership across the board. Leaders at remote regions micro manage and lead by dictatorship not respect which will be the end of this organization if not changed. Once was a fun and exciting company is now dark and full of skepticism.

Advice to Management

Listen to you employees, not 2 or 3 fortunate people in leadership. They blind you to what the real issues are there for the last 2-3 years.

"AOS - Work with the best"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Alexander Open Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent training, excellent pay, great employees, great management, as a consultant you are in a different environment constantly, great clients, days go by fast, family owned company so you have a small company feel with a big company atmosphere, best consultants/engineers in the business

Cons

Hours, health care is not the best

Advice to Management

If there is a lot of work to be done for a network cut over, schedule additional engineers to work shifts.

"Great peer and management support for engineers."

Current Employee - Systems Engineer
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer

I have been working at Alexander Open Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Being with the company 5+ years I have personally experienced the team work of my peers as well as the support of my management team. Training is high on the list of priorities and is financially supported by AOS. Average work weeks are 40 hours. Some weeks are longer but that is to be expected in IT. Good work life balance.

Cons

Communication in most companies is a struggle. With the new CEO it feels like we are back on the right track.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your employees. They are very dedicated. Keep reinforcing our strategic goals and this company can go far.

"Account Manager"

I have been working at Alexander Open Systems full-time

Pros

Best of breed products and services. Big emphasis on training and ethical consulting. Sales people that are motivated by financial reward will thrive. Hard work is financially rewarded.
    It is easy to sell the highly skilled engineering and project management staff.

Cons

Many layers of management, not always focused on the same goals. Ownership involvement changed last year and a new CEO has corrected many of these issues.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in sales, nothing happens until someone sells something...

10. "Vice President"

Current Employee - Vice President Sales in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Vice President Sales in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Alexander Open Systems full-time

Pros

The quality of people, the opportunity to make a lot of money and the excitement of working in the ever changing high tech industry.

Cons

Not allowed to work from home.

Advice to Management

Continue to add additional manufacturers to the line card.