American Fidelity Assurance Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bill Cameron

Pros
  • Good benefits includes company car (in 7 reviews)

• Work from home is a huge benefit the I feel privileged to participate in (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • For a company that wants us to have work/life balance it is hard to make time when we are always forced to do mandatory overtime when things get busy (in 4 reviews)

• Managements sales line is "we want this to be your last job" they developed this to explain away the high turnover (in 6 reviews)

1. "Amazing family oriented company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at American Fidelity Assurance Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Amazing company that blends flexibility with competitive pay and benefits to create an environment that truly supports its colleagues. Work from home is a huge benefit the I feel privileged to participate in. I feel empowered to make decisions and feel that my skills, experience and knowledge are valued by my peers and by management. Lots of opportunity to participate on process and project development teams and gain skills outside my normal job description.

Cons

Bonus structure has made some employees feel a sense of entitlement. Aging workforce is also difficult to coach toward technology shifts. Also, the annual review and check in processes are tedious and I don't feel I gain insight from them.

Advice to Management

Outdated compensation and bonus structure means That management is handcuffed to a payroll model that prevents us from being truly competitive in the marketplace. Better to just pay a straight salary and run on a much tighter expense model.

Mar 21, 2017 – Talent Management Team

Thank you for your feedback. We’re glad you enjoy the benefits, flexibility and empowerment American Fidelity offers. Our compensation program undergoes a benchmarking process every three years to ... More

"HQ is a great place to work, with a lot of perks; some change is needed, though"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at American Fidelity Assurance Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture and perks are the biggest pros. "Dress for your day" is wonderful, and things like the gym, cafe, insurance, 401(k) are great. The defined-benefit pension is especially rare but welcome. The company is extraordinarily stable, with management seeming to prefer stable, sustainable growth over short-term gains as is common with publicly-traded companies. The longevity here is unreal, with many employees having tenures of 20-30 years, and there is a reason for it.

Cons

With tenure comes well-entrenched habits. In customer-facing areas, the company is eager to improve and test conventional wisdom, even implementing a regular LEAN review of departments every couple of years. But in internal departments (accounting, HR, IT) management and long-tenure employees both are extremely entrenched and resistant to change, even when it would improve the efficiency and performance of the department. "This is how we've always done it" is not an uncommon justification, and that needs to stop. Also, the long tenure of most employees means after you reach a certain point in your career you won't move up the ladder until someone dies or retires.

Advice to Management

"This is how we've always done it" is never a valid justification for a policy or procedure. Hold internal departments to task on process improvement and efficiency. Also, modernize the IT infrastructure.

Mar 6, 2017 – Talent Management Team

Thank you for your feedback. The Strategic Quality Management team is always happy to hear ideas for Lean projects. Please contact an SQM Colleague to make a suggestion. You can also share ... More

"Managers at AFA"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative III in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative III in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at American Fidelity Assurance Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

AFA is a great company that takes care of their employees. The benefits are good, the 401k match and time off, and an amazing bonus. Having a clinic, bank, cafe, and state of the art gym are definitely perks, along with the walking / running trails that cover a beautiful campus.

Cons

Unfortunately, there are a number of incompetent and just plain bad supervisors who sucked the life and the ability to do a competent job right out of their employees, and HR always sides with the supervisor over the employee. It's very sad that employees with years of service and excellent reviews can be let go because a supervisor takes a personal dislike to them.

Advice to Management

A good manager doesn't micromanage. Let your people do what they are trained for. Encourage ALL of them, not just your favorites. If an employee is struggling with health or family issues, help them. Above all else, encourage questions and real teamwork.

Mar 9, 2017 – Talent Management Team

We appreciate your feedback as we are constantly working to improve and strive to have a collaborative culture.

"Great place for a career."

Current Employee - Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Manager in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

-compensation
    -pension
    -great colleagues
    -great customer relationships
    -great travel incentives (Maui, Kauai, Banff, etc.)
    -overall, a fantastic employer and opportunity to provide for yourself and family, while providing quality products/services

Cons

-overnight travel
    -stress/pressure in most sales roles
    -lack of support from executive leadership
    - overall, it is a very good company

Advice to Management

-always involve field staff in decisions that impact them.
    -give field managers the ability to make decisions without being micromanaged themselves

Feb 2, 2017 – Talent Management Team

Thank you for your feedback and kind words! We will pass your advice along to our Sales division leaders.

6. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at American Fidelity Assurance Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Christmas and yearly bonus are great. They truly care about their employees. They are very mindful of health and family and will work with you if you need time off. The culture is relaxed.

Cons

Base salaray in most positions is around 80% of the average. Its more than made up for by the yearly bonus, but, bonus are not guaranteed and taxed at a much higher rate.

Advice to Management

Just dont forget the little guy. Show your face on the floor. Dont try to be bigger than you really are.

Jan 20, 2017 – Talent Management Team

Thank you for your feedback – we’re happy to hear that you enjoyed the culture here. We would like to clarify the information about base pay. Every three years we complete a benchmark study comparing ... More

"Poorly managed"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at American Fidelity Assurance Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A great place to work, if you aren't in the call center.

Cons

Understaffed, high turn over, and micromanagement. For a company that wants us to have work/life balance it is hard to make time when we are always forced to do mandatory overtime when things get busy.which is always. When a depsrtment can't pull any staff to work emails and force 5-7 hours of overtime a week there is no time for anything else.

Jan 13, 2017 – Talent Management Team

As a Great Place to Work, American Fidelity Colleagues have consistently shown a dedication to our Customers and they understand the importance of serving the Customer and fulfilling our brand ... More

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Benefits Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Benefits Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK

Pros

Family atmosphere. Great team environment. Flexible work hours. Paid person time is great. Open to new suggestions. Yearly bonus is great. Telecommuting is a huge plus!

Cons

Low salary because so much emphasis on the bonus. A lot of micromanaging at times. Meetings can be monotonous at times.

Advice to Management

Know who your top performers are, pay better at raise time, give appreciation more and do what you can to keep the good employees. Please allow telecommuting 5 days a week every week! Employees get a lot more done at home and questions can still be asked via telephone, IM or email.

"Account Manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Account Manager in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Provide company car and pay expenses. You work out of your home office, but travel weekly to visit your accounts.

Cons

If you have a small territory and dip below 70% quota, you are terminated immediately

10. "Technical Infrastructure Specialist"

Former Employee - Technical Infrastructure Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Technical Infrastructure Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at American Fidelity Assurance Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I worked there for 32 years

Cons

Fired me for no good reason.

11. "Great company!"

Current Employee - Internal Auditor in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Internal Auditor in Oklahoma City, OK

Pros

Great work life balance.
    Wonderful health incentives.
    Pay for tuition to further education.
    Rarely any overtime.

Cons

Pay is slightly below market rate for all positions.
    Too much emphasis placed on bonus which is taxed at a much higher rate than regular salary income.

Advice to Management

Put less emphasis on the bonus and more emphasis on increasing the base pay of all non-commissioned employees.