American Fidelity Assurance Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 15, 2019

4.1
Bill Cameron

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work from home is a huge benefit the I feel privileged to participate in" (in 8 reviews)

• "Good pay, excellent work culture, flexible hours, work from home, good benefits" (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "The position included daily travel and about 50-60% overnight travel in my area" (in 7 reviews)

• "But I think that's a product of the collaborative like, inclusive work environment" (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Place To Work!"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at American Fidelity Assurance Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

AFA is the most flexible company I have ever workes for. The also have excellent benefits and strive in everyway to be a great place to work! (ie On-site gym, on-site health clinic, on-site bank, on-site training, advancement opportunities, work from home, bonus, 401k, pension plan, employer matching, bonus, paid personal time off, paid volunteer time...)

Cons

Yearly performance review (this is intended to be a good thing, but just heads up to those that have anxiety about reviews.)

2. "Fort Wayne Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at American Fidelity Assurance Company full-time

Pros

I work for an amazing, family owned company! It is a great career where I am valued and get the opportunity to help school employees every day with our products and services. I am focused on making the school district's life easier through our technology and services. The career requires a commitment to serve others and work hard. The commitment leads to a fantastic career that enables me to provide for myself and my family.

Cons

The overnight travel can be tough at times, but it is worth it.

Advice to Management

Thank you management for your support and coaching... you make a difference!

3. "Good Company"

I worked at American Fidelity Assurance Company full-time

Pros

Company Car
    Strong Training Program for new hires

Cons

Travel can be extensive and challenging

4. "Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in South Bend, IN
    Current Employee - Account Manager in South Bend, IN

I have been working at American Fidelity Assurance Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hands down this is the best place I’ve ever worked. I work in the school market and love helping people with our products. If you have a strong work ethic and provide great customer service, you will retire here. Love everything about this place!

Cons

Some days are long especially in our busiest season.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

5. "Claims Adjuster"

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Oklahoma City, OK

Pros

Great company to work for.

Cons

Work overload, but other than that I have no complaints

Advice to Management

Excellent and understanding

6. "It is what you make of it..."

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at American Fidelity Assurance Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with. Company car, cell phone allowance, bonuses for obtaining your licenses even if you already have them, Amex expense card and gas card. AF does care about its employees. Working with school districts means you work more of a teachers schedule. When they are not in session that means you have a lot of down time/family time. Jan-Mar and June-July tend to be the slower months. You will need to be proactive and work your accounts to create opportunities in those months. The fall is extremely busy which is where most of your opportunities for commission will occur. March starts to pick up and should stay busy through May for open enrollments. Those who say there are poor or bad accounts are the ones who expect things to be given to them. You will get out what you put into it. You will succeed or fail by your own efforts. Take advantage of every opportunity even the so called bad accounts, build the relationships with the employees while you are there and don't accept mediocre and you will succeed as long as you are doing whats in the best interest for the client. This can be a very rewarding career for the person with the willingness, desire , drive and mentality to succeed.

Cons

Starting base salary is low but you are reviewed annually with the opportunity of increasing that base including your commision percentage. However, it appears the quota for each position continues to increase each year as well so there is tht offset. Also, if the productivity doesn't stay on the books for 13 months then you will be charged back. So if you sell something one year and they drop it the next then you get hit. So sell the right way, do the right thing for the client. Educate them on why the policy they are interested in is important and how it works and how it will benefit them. Doing that should help reduce the amount of drops/nonrenewals. There will be drops and nonrenewals regardless. During the busier months there can be a lot of traveling required, even overnight. If that is not acceptable or you are not willing to weigh the time away compared to the months you don't travel then look elsewhere. The more you make yourself available the more opportunities to be success you will have. There is a lot of "administrative" work as well as potential micro management which includes daily and weekly productivity reports. Some people track their own productivity such as I did anyway so that they know where they are compared to their goals. If that is you, although the additional requirements can be overwhelming on top of all the other administrative work, you should be able to cope.

Advice to Management

Continue to be supportive. But there has to be a way to keep your workhorses working and not overwhelming them with so much of the admin and reporting work. Some of the reports seem redundent consider most of the numbers, although not exact, are also reported automatically from Salesforce etc.

7. "check your schools premiums to go along with quotas"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at American Fidelity Assurance Company (More than a year)

Pros

benefits, work remotely, company car, compnay provided computer and printer

Cons

management involvement, quota set-up, training

Advice to Management

set up quotas based on accounts, or atleast by the state,

8. "Infrastructure Engineer"

I worked at American Fidelity Assurance Company full-time

Pros

Great company to work for. Culture is great and is getting younger as the older guard continues to retire. The company past is quickening.

Cons

Sometimes people are shuffled into roles or responsibilities they are not qualified for(happens everywhere I know).

"Account Manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Reno, NV

I worked at American Fidelity Assurance Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of scheduling flexibility, decent benefits, company car.

Cons

Extremely inconsistent middle management. Lots of overnight travel.

"Do NOT work here! Run away!"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at American Fidelity Assurance Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company car
    Slower months in June & July (to your detriment)
    Christmas break off

Cons

Managers are extremely cruel & far less intelligent than most employees they hire. You’re NOT going to make any money here. Very, very low pay & nearly impossible to make ends meet in most states. They’ll work you to death, lie to you about anything & everything, & will work to rid themselves of you after the second yr so they won’t have to pay your pension that you supposedly qualify for after 5yrs of service. Nobody lasts that long, the job is designed to extinguish itself after the second yr. Full charge backs apply for products not in place for more than 13 months coupled w/less enrollment opportunities after your first year. Management purposely tailors your experience for failure. They use the new hires to service their many, many low performing accounts that have proven to be impossible to sell anything in. The company still enjoys the residuals from the products you’ve sold leaving you with nothing. They’ll chew you up & spit you out. I feel bad for anyone stuck at American Fidelity, you don’t realize until you’ve left how poorly you’ve been treated. Years of my life I won’t get back. Regret is what you’ll take away. Other companies see you’ve worked at American Fidelity & stay clear of you, it’s notorious for being a stepping stone to nowhere.

Advice to Management

Quit immediately

American Fidelity Assurance Company Response

Sep 5, 2018 – Talent Management Team

We’re sorry to hear about your experience but appreciate your feedback. We hope you discussed these concerns with the sales leadership team, HR or other key stakeholders so they can be addressed... More