Architech Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Architech CEO & Founder David Suydam
David Suydam

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"A good stepping stone, solid employment, no advancement, not a career."

I worked at Architech full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are looking for autonomy, just want to code and don't care about job advancement this is the job for you.
    - Agile development company with no reporting structure. No boss to tell you what to do and give you directions.
    - If you are assertive and proactive, you can get yourself assigned to most project you like.
    - Good variety of projects because most of them are short term.
    - Strong software engineering culture where front-end development is a low priority. But very collaborative and capable coworkers. .

Cons

Stepping stone until you find another place with mentorship and career advancement.
    - There's very little opportunity for career advancement because that's reserved for a few of the bosses' favorites
    - You have to find your own way because there's no boss, no mentor and no one to guide you or give you objective feedback
    - Lack loyalties to workers. Recently they had "parted ways" with people whom skillsets no longer align with their ever changing company goals.
    - Low employee engagement and moral - seemed like HR's only job is to recruit and fire staff.

Advice to Management

Get some executive couching. Lead by listening: don't just get feedback from the customers get it from the staff as well.

"Some good but mostly bad"

I have been working at Architech full-time

Pros

Decent initial salary.

Good location.

Nice office space.

Flexible working hours sometimes.

Decent benefits package.

Reasonable effort put toward the culture, for example free drinks and food every second Friday, an occasional offsite party, etc etc.

Some great people currently work and have worked at Architech.

CEO and CTO aren't the monsters they've been made out to be on here.

Cons

Most of the substance in the company e.g. tech, design, strategy and project management has left and hasn't been replaced. Company is weak to very weak in all these areas now as a result.

Sales people who aren't set up to succeed selling terrible projects leading to terrible work, sometimes terrible working conditions and a lack of overall progress for everyone involved.

Leadership has seen an almost 100% change in membership in 12 months. No real direction. CTO and CEO sometimes totally check out and disappear when the going gets tough. Choosing the easy path e.g. sell anything, promise the client anything, tell the staff anything to shut them up, etc. is the main strategy from leadership. Entire departments have left together as a result.

Constantly changing faces at management level. Most are not even qualified to be there.

Comparatively big PR/Marketing presence who act like they run the company for some reason despite almost nobody outside the company even knowing who Architech are.

Any decent work is given to the Polish office as the CEO spent a lot of money there and then they all started to leave due to the work on offer.

Final point is there is massive favouritism within the company when it comes to opportunities in Architech and any career progress is usually a result of pure politics as opposed to work or achievement.

Advice to Management

Your inability to do the right thing over the past few years has now completely compromised the company and everyone working in it.

e.g The weird favoritisms and promotions that came with them drove a huge number capable people in the company out.

e.g Taking on too much low quality work has driven a lot of talented out and kept it out.

e.g Constantly picking up tech trends and dumping them has prevented real knowledge development within the company.

Advice: Stop disappearing when times are tough and then reappearing on social media out scuba diving somewhere expensive or at the cottage. Cut costs and invest the money into proven professional services salespeople to bring better projects in.

You push great sounding values. Stop just pushing them and start actually doing them.

"Incredible opportunities, even better people."

Former Employee - Strategist in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Strategist in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

I worked at Architech for a year and a half. This is what I had to say in my farewell email:

"Well, the day has actually come for me to leave Architech and pursue a career as a pilot. I wasn’t sure if it would ever come, and now that it’s really here, it still doesn’t feel real. I think I’m just in denial that I’ve chosen to leave such an amazing place with even better people. It’s absolutely a bittersweet day for me. What a hard decision this was.

I can’t find the right words to describe how thankful I am for the experience I was given at Architech. As my first “real” full-time job coming out of university, Architech trusted me with so much. I never expected to have some of the professional experiences I’ve had working here. I’ve been lucky enough to experience the kinds of work that many people have to work for 5-10 years to experience. My time here has helped me grow substantially more than I expected over this last year and a half, both professionally and personally. Thank you for entrusting me with so much responsibility and offering me so many opportunities.

But these experiences would have very little meaning and value if it weren’t for all of the amazing people here. The culture here is unbelievable. I mean, how many places can you say you work with real friends, not just “good colleagues?” I actually remember my very first day here, (an employee) said to me, “Strategy is new here, so we’re not sure what it means yet. But how can we support you?” What a great welcome! And it’s only gone up from there. Wild handshakes, terrible and often inappropriate jokes, support through stressful times, touchpoints on how we’re really doing in life and not just at work, the friendly jabs and making-fun of each other, all the fun events, going out drinking, celebrating the wins, sports teams, etc. etc. etc.

Suffice it to say, Architech is absolutely not the reason I’m leaving. In fact, it’s the reason it took me so long to make this decision in the first place. I’m quite saddened to move on to a point of my life where I won’t be seeing all of your awesome faces on the regular, but equally excited about making this life change. I’m genuinely going to miss this place, and all of those who have helped create the amazing memories that I’ll have forever.

Please please please keep in touch, and freaking invite me to events and outings… I’ll make the trip out to Toronto to stay in touch!"

Cons

- Shifting high-level strategy as a company can make solidifying a standard process difficult, especially as new practice areas are trying to mature. This isn't necessarily a con, just something to be aware of. The company is constantly striving to improve it's strategy, which means you'll need to be someone who's ok with change.

- Sometimes not enough time is given up front on projects to determine what is being built, putting pressure on the strategy/business analysis and design teams as developers are sitting waiting for requirements.

Advice to Management

Sometimes design and/or strategy estimates are underestimated, causing the team to scramble up front on projects.

May 2, 2017 – Manager, Talent and Culture

Hi there, Thanks for taking the time to reach out to us! We’re so glad to hear about your experience at Architech and that you feel you learned so much from working with the people here. We... More

"Not as bad as other glassdoor reviews make it out to be"

Former Employee - Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Architech full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've found Architech to be overall a great place to work at. Before posting I read some of the nasty reviews which were posted earlier and found it heartbreaking because they were soo focused on the bad experiences and gave little to no credit for the good experiences. Here you will certainly learn a lot! The CTO is very involved in shaping the direction of the company and takes a hands-on approach to training all engineers jr-sa levels. He genuinely cares about your growth and has a passion for well engineered solutions.

- Great culture, PEOPLE, benefits, events, academy days and more!
    - Allowance $ for training, and technical growth
    - Good work/life balance flexible hours (this may depend on your project though)
    - This place will really challenge you (in a great way) especially if you are new to consulting and agile SDLC

Cons

- Some project's tech stack is rather dry
    - Sometimes you don't really get the luxury of a PM or even an account manager to manage client expectations some devs might even have to fill that role themselves
    - When a developer is off alone on a single project a lot of work and effort actually goes on and it is often times unnoticed internally
    - Off site @ clients can sometimes mean travelling across the city and not as glamorous of an environment as architech's DT location
    - Turnover (previous employees have left and knowledge transfers is rather lacking when a project is considered "finished" and transitioning to support)

Advice to Management

Try to retain those who you deem are hungry, humble and smart before they start turning their heads elsewhere. To do this I think constantly ensuring that the work they are doing is meaningful and fulfilling in some way or another.

Try to sell clients more "teams" and less "solo devs"

Apr 13, 2017 – Manager, Talent and Culture

Hi -- We’re so glad to hear that working at Architech was a positive experience for you. Thanks for the kind words and for the constructive comments. We’re always looking for ways to improve, so if... More

"Great company, learned a lot from working here"

Former Employee - Software Developer
    Former Employee - Software Developer

Pros

- Worked on a lot of great projects while working here.
    - Lots of opportunity to explore different technologies. In addition to optional certifications that the company pays for.
    - People are very friendly and great to work with. The team culture and bond is strong here.
    - Flexible hours. Can usually work from home depending on the project you are on and if your team is okay with it.
    - Great opportunity to lead in some projects as not all projects will have a Tech Lead (can also be a con)

Cons

- Projects can be random and you may be assigned to a project with an uninteresting technology stack
    - Support contracts
    - Culture started to dilute as more team members were put on offsite/remote projects
    - Working with the remote office in Poland can be challenging and tough
    - Not all projects will have a Tech Lead. You may get put into this role along with its responsibilities and not be compensated for it.

Advice to Management

- Work on employee retention, and take your team's happiness into account. Good people are hard to find.
    - Find better ways to assign people to projects, maybe by their interests

Apr 13, 2017 – Manager, Talent and Culture

Hi there, We’re so glad to hear that working at Architech was a positive experience for you. Thanks for the kind words and for the constructive comments. We’re always looking for ways to improve , so... More

"Not worth it"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Architech full-time

Pros

Great downtown location, free snacks, and some awesome people to work with.

Cons

1) CEO changes company direction at the drop of a hat and expects the entire company to follow. He changes it again just as quickly, not giving the rest of the team time to adjust and wonder why they're not pivoting or why there is confusion among the team.
    2) There hasn't been proper HR presence in a long time. The so called "HR" was one of favoritism, unprofessional approach, and bullying. There was no such thing as "confidential" conversation, you basically expected everyone to know what you said if you talked to HR.
    3) They boast about doing great work but they've lost some big clients over the last few years. Not something you expect from an award winning software company delivering awesome products.
    4) Management is full of pointing fingers, playing the blame game, and throwing people under the bus to make themselves look good. It's very disappointing that leadership doesn't see the dysfunction but rather fuel it with fear and not taking accountability for their actions or failures.
    5) Lots of recognition for sales and marketing but not as much for delivery. They play favorites and if you are part of that list, you'll be appreciated and cared about. Otherwise, you're just another body or scapegoat.
    6) A lot of egos.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your people from the ground up. Be humble leaders who put their people first and be ready to hear some difficult feedback. Commit to business plans instead of grabbing onto the next cool thing you see/hear. Run the business like an actual business, this isn't high school where you play favorites, allow bullying to happen, and encourage cliques. Hire good people to lead your good people. Don't be blinded by fake words of bad middle managers. The worst thing you can do is to keep bad managers, not recognize the pains, and lose great people to bad experience.

Apr 13, 2017 – Manager, Talent and Culture

Hi, Thanks for reaching out to give us this feedback. We believe that you’re sharing this feedback because you care about the company and our team. If that’s the case, we’d love to hear from you... More

"Politics, bad culture, and dysfunctional leadership team"

I worked at Architech full-time

Pros

- Made great friends while working here

Cons

- The company has downsized significantly. Vast majority of the remaining employees are actively applying for jobs

- The culture is one of the worst I have seen in my entire career. Nobody trusts leadership. There is a clear lack of commitment from the remaining employees with the current vision/strategy of the company. Key people in the organization are not held accountable for their mistakes.

- Too much office politics

Advice to Management

People don't complain for short term satisfaction. They complain to help make things better in the long term. Don't treat complaints like disposable pieces of candy.

Apr 13, 2017 – Manager, Talent and Culture

Hi, We’d like to start off by thanking you for your feedback. We appreciate that your concerns come from a good place and want to use your feedback to continue grow as a company. Given the chance... More

"Much potential, but lack of leadership prevents success"

Current Employee - Senior Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Architech full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great people that work here at the ground level
    - Fun, modern office, and excellent snacks + social events
    - A year or two ago, I would have said, challenging, meaningful work

Cons

- Leadership changes direction all the time (just last week a new tech strategy was dropped on the whole company)
    - Sales is suffering and sales people with experience have quit
    - Bad projects are taken on just to keep busy for the staffs

Advice to Management

Cut overhead, focus on strengths and listen to the staff more. A lot of the top developers have left in the last few weeks and many others are considering this. Delivery leadership is lacking.

Apr 13, 2017 – Manager, Talent and Culture

Hi there, Thanks for taking the time to provide this feedback. We know there’s always room for improvement and we think we can learn from hearing from you, directly. Please feel free to reach out to... More

"Joined with high hopes, but its not looking great"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Architech full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the people are awesome and have great attitudes. There are a couple of cool projects (though people fight to be on the good ones) often happening. Fair salarys and benefits package. The offices are nice and there are free snacks and coffee!!!!

Cons

There is not a good vision about the future of the company and sometimes the CEO makes big promises at company events that don't come to life in a real way for employees. The direction seems to change every few months and clients pause or stop best projects earlier than plain.

Advice to Management

Stop making promises and start to put the employees first in the company. Stand behind company values and culture instead of talking about them but not really truly representing them. Empower employees to grow there careers in the direction that they want.

Apr 13, 2017 – Manager, Talent and Culture

Hi – thank you for taking the time to give us this feedback. To help us grow, we’d love to hear more about your experience with Architech. Why don’t we set up a time to chat? The conversation will... More

"Zero Leadership"

I have been working at Architech full-time

Pros

Team members are motivated and genuinely try to do good things. Working with others and problem solving definitely is a plus.

Cons

1) CTO management style is one of bullying, disrespect and rudeness
    2) Senior team just ignores issues and really don't display any leadership
    3) Turnover is extremely high thus leading to constant confusion on roles and responsibilities
    4) No HR support.
    5) The organization likes to think they are an established mature organization when in reality it is run in real time and this leads to constant re-work and not quality deliverables.

Advice to Management

1) Please address senior mgmt leadership. Some people should not be managing others.
    2) Take accountability of your actions or non action
    3) Don't throw money at people as a result of 2), that isn't sufficient in this day and age