Arm Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Arm Chief Executive Officer Simon Segars
Simon Segars

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Excellent learning opportunities and work life balance (in 65 reviews)

• great office location and work environment (in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • bad work life balance / stressful most of the time (in 17 reviews)

• The company is growing, but still rather small (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"13 months into an ARM leadership role"

Current Employee - Director of Engineering - HPC Tools in Manchester City Centre, England (UK)

I have been working at Arm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are nice to work with, appreciative and bright.

The work/life balance is respected and many people have a keen focus on diversity and inclusion.

ARM focus on their strengths of solving tough problems and where appropriate use third parties and build success with partners. ARM don't try to do everything or win at everything. My perception is that ARM focus on an area they add value and then do a polished professional job of delivering it.

The overall compensation is highly competitive - some of my team are starting to take their sabbatical's (4 week paid holiday every 4 years - only 3 years to go :-)

I love the trust and autonomy. Despite ARM having over 4500 employees it does not feel like a bureaucratic machine. As a leader I can honestly say that there are few things which you must do in a particular way or slow me down. The processes are pragmatic and mostly there to be made up or tweaked to fit your purpose.

Cons

The nature of the work and lack of previous attention to diversity in team building has led to a narrow set of types of people you get to interact with. I appreciate ARM is taking steps to address this with a Project Everyone programme - I've got involved and hoping to see the positive impact over time.

ARM was formed in Cambridge for designing cpu's. These are not cons, but they weigh heavily as perceptual baggage. ARM is rising up as a company in many world wide locations, who can develop world class software and become dominant in IoT. Despite this Cambridge and hardware sometimes seem to be the perceived places you must be.

Advice to Management

Keep focussed on the ARM values and make sure the rapid growth and shift into new markets do not demotivate and confuse people and create slow downs in some of the key foundations that the product teams rely upon e.g. hiring, legal.

Look to learn lessons from organisations that have gone through big transformations and growth in the past e.g. IBM one of my previous employers.

2. "ARM is still a growing company."

Current Employee - Engineer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Arm full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

good work-life balance, potential opportunities to learn, transparent communication, etc.

Cons

too conservative an organization to move fast, no innovation, etc.

3. "Incredible Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Arm full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Conservatively managed
    - A Growing business translates to a lot of opportunities
    - Extraordinary ecosystem of partners helps expand personal connections

Cons

- Some growth pains with the ramp-up of new employees

Advice to Management

Keep us pointed in the right direction and be willing to experiment

4. "Senior Product Marketing Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Arm full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

ARM has an open and transparent culture from the top at the management level and down to employees. Good communication within the company. It is a global company with presence in many placed in the world. The company is still growing. It provides good employee benefit in vacation and 401K matching.

Cons

The company culture is conservative so making changes can be very slow and frustrating. It is unwilling to take some risk. The internal career movement can be difficult due to limited internal career support. It does not have a good education support program for the employees. The internal organization changes very frequently in the last 2 years.

Advice to Management

Take more risk

5. "Great environment and lots of opportunities"

Current Employee - Staff Design Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Arm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

ARM is a great company. Small groups and focused targets without management bloating. The environment is very constructive and laid back, while the projects and the day to day work is challanging and engaging. From what I can tell there are plenty of growth opportunities and the benefits are much better than any other company I worked for.

Cons

Depending on your role, you might need to travel internationally quite a bit.

May 9, 2017 – Social Media and Employer Brand Specialist

Thanks for leaving a review!

-Rick C.
    Employer Branding and Social Media Specialist

6. "Incredible Company Investing in Employees"

Current Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Arm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture, benefits, and the proven investment in people. This company is small and agile. If you are lucky enough to work for ARM you'll really see what it's like to be part of a healthy company. Incredibly smart people working here that really know the value of teamwork.

Cons

The recruiting and offer process is a little strange and drawn out, but that may just be the way they filter out the best employees to find a good match.

Advice to Management

Keep the same behavior and beliefs that made this company great. Out of the box thinkers who did what nobody else through to do. Continue to keep those key contributors around who started the company. Use them to encourage the next group carrying the company through the next 20 years.

Apr 12, 2017 – Social Media and Employer Brand Specialist

Thanks for leaving a review and the feedback!

We're no longer at the "small" company size, though each of our offices has their own unique culture so it sometimes feels like we're still a scrappy... More

"Arm recruiting staffs & process are horrible and unprofessional."

Current Employee - Technical Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Technical Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Arm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

ARM is a decent place to work but also depend on current and future to growth team.

Cons

ARM in Austin, Tx staffing are the worst that we are experience in. Most of the recruiters are NON-experience with recruiting, but somehow they end up at ARM in Austin. Most of our referral candidates got called from ARM staffing and their feedback to me are not impressed at all to ARM recruiters from (asked stupid and non intelligent questions, missed appointment with candidate, but when on the phone seems like ARM staffing was driving during conversation as well as dog barking on background). Our referral not impress at ARM staffing of its current process.

Advice to Management

have your team leader/manager, technical engineers to call candidate directly. ARM staffing in austin will disgrace ARM community

May 12, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Senior Manager

Hello. I am saddened by your approach. Perhaps you spoke to your colleagues directly and did not get an adequate reply? We do have a number of avenues for you to raise these concerns. The recruiters... More

"It needs to improve or people will start leaving"

Current Employee - Senior Design Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Design Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Arm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- I really enjoy all my coworkers. Generally speaking, everyone is nice and open to talk to you.
    - Health insurance and facilities are nice
    - I think company has a bright future, technology-wise. Intel should be concerned about ARM.
    - Growing company. Softbank acquisition hasnt affected day to day work.

Cons

My following comments come from the vast majority of my collegues, its not just my opinion.

- No lateral movement within the company. Near impossible. Managers and HR will say the right things but its just not true (dont believe them). Only a single colleague I know of was approved to move to another team. The funny thing is that he actually had to wait two plus years after the approval to be able to move and that only happened because he threaten to quit ARM. Even within a single team, this happens. Eg. the "fetch guy" will keep working on fetch unit, he'll rarely get to do anything else (loadstore, commit, etc). Why does this happen? Cause management only cares about results; moving laterally is just risk for them, not growth. They acknowledged this two-three years ago (at least on a couple of teams) by asking employees what they wanted to work on but nothing happened. Colleagues are still doing the same thing.
    - Moving vertical is just as hard, if not harder. Its hard to get promoted. Even after "exceptional" reviews many ppl dont get promoted. This is because your promotion candidacy goes to a panel made up of many leads across several different teams. If they havent heard from you, you are screwed. Its just not fair and many friends complain about the process w no changes.
    - Staff/principal engineers keep doing what they do best, lots of cool stuff, and they pad themselves on their backs. Meanwhile, lower grade engineers are stucked with the 'extra' stuff even though you could argue they are just as qualified to do the more interesting work.
    - No free food, no free coke products, and a unclean-low-grade, soap-like, starbucks-wanna-be coffee (we tried to get a better local Austin coffee but request got rejected by facility manager even after presenting survey results showing everybody in the sute preferred the local one).
    - The cafeteria is "subsadicied" but its still better to just go and eat somewhere else given their prices/quality.

May 19, 2017 – Social Media and Employer Brand Specialist

Thanks for leaving your honest review. There was a lot to cover, so please bear with me for the lengthy response.

As you mentioned, we have a lot of great things going for us at ARM, with a... More

9. "Growing and Staying True"

Current Employee - People Operations in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - People Operations in Austin, TX

I have been working at Arm full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people are wonderful and even as an individual contributor you are given a voice - a way to make a real impact. Compensation is great. Facilities are nice. Easy to take vacation and actually step away from email!

Cons

Intense pace, always lots going on (can be good and can be a bit much at times)
    Some growing pains - systems need to develop, technology/support - it'll get there

Advice to Management

Keep the communication open as you do. Keep investing in support teams and support systems/tech.

May 22, 2017 – Social Media and Employer Brand Specialist

Thanks for leaving a review!

ARM employs some of the brightest people in the industry, which also extends to the employees in our People Team. Though the pace can be strenuous at times, we truly... More

"ARM is cheap"

I have been working at Arm full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

* Execs open to talk to employees regardless of their level
    * Work/Life balance
    * Softbank is focused on the big picture and long term growth
    * Openness on products (the opposite of Apple pretty much)

Cons

* No RSUs/ESPP due to acquisition. This has caused people to not feel part of the company as much as before. RSUs replaced by money, ESPP removed and there's not a replacement yet.
    * WFH frowned upon
    * Not enough perks given to keep people from looking to better opportunities.
    * For a company with revenues over $1.5B/yr and less then 5000 employees I must say ARM is very cheap when it comes to employees. Not to mention most employees live in the UK where salaries are really low. Super low budget when it comes to 'extras.' I won't go into details but ARM is trying to impose a 'health agenda' which is just ridiculous, and another way of saying they are cheap and looking to cut costs.
    * Hard to get promoted. More importantly, management is not clear on why a high review is not able to get you promoted. "Wait for your turn" and other bogus explanations given when pressed.
    * Many talented people have left the company since the Softbank acquisition (to samsung, apple, amazon, etc). They mostly complained about lack of upward/lateral mobility, limited perks.
    * Bonus/raises based on where you fall on your grade pay scale not on merit (the higher you are in the scale compared to colleagues, the less bonus/raises you get). HR focus on 'equalizing' pay is completely unfair as bonus/raise is not based purely on merit and reviews.

Advice to Management

* Invest in employees, don't be cheap. Offer weekly free beer, buddy lunches, free Friday tacos, more social events, free v8/Gatorade/juices/cokes, pizza & movie nights, etc. Something that shows you are not cheap and you care about ARM social atmosphere. The only thing we get right now is free monthly cake for birthdays and one social gathering in December.
    * Clear formula needed for promotions rather than 'lets see what happens' mentality
    * Implement anonymous colleagues/company feednack and reviews so that people are not afraid to speak up to management issues or suggest company improvements. Its sad people have to voice concerns in Glassdoor instead of through the company itself.

Aug 9, 2017 – People Services Director

Thank you for leaving a review and acknowledging the open atmosphere and work/life balance that is core to ARM culture. However, some of your other feedback is concerning, and I would like to take... More