Arm Reviews | Glassdoor

Arm Chief Executive Officer Simon Segars
Simon Segars

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • bad work life balance / stressful most of the time (in 20 reviews)

• The company is growing very fast for the last few years might face challenges to keep the company culture (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"13 months into an ARM leadership role"

Current Employee - Director of Engineering - HPC Tools in Manchester City Centre, England (UK)

I have been working at Arm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are nice to work with, appreciative and bright.

The work/life balance is respected and many people have a keen focus on diversity and inclusion.

ARM focus on their strengths of solving tough problems and where appropriate use third parties and build success with partners. ARM don't try to do everything or win at everything. My perception is that ARM focus on an area they add value and then do a polished professional job of delivering it.

The overall compensation is highly competitive - some of my team are starting to take their sabbatical's (4 week paid holiday every 4 years - only 3 years to go :-)

I love the trust and autonomy. Despite ARM having over 4500 employees it does not feel like a bureaucratic machine. As a leader I can honestly say that there are few things which you must do in a particular way or slow me down. The processes are pragmatic and mostly there to be made up or tweaked to fit your purpose.

Cons

The nature of the work and lack of previous attention to diversity in team building has led to a narrow set of types of people you get to interact with. I appreciate ARM is taking steps to address this with a Project Everyone programme - I've got involved and hoping to see the positive impact over time.

ARM was formed in Cambridge for designing cpu's. These are not cons, but they weigh heavily as perceptual baggage. ARM is rising up as a company in many world wide locations, who can develop world class software and become dominant in IoT. Despite this Cambridge and hardware sometimes seem to be the perceived places you must be.

Advice to Management

Keep focussed on the ARM values and make sure the rapid growth and shift into new markets do not demotivate and confuse people and create slow downs in some of the key foundations that the product teams rely upon e.g. hiring, legal.

Look to learn lessons from organisations that have gone through big transformations and growth in the past e.g. IBM one of my previous employers.

2. "Possibly the best job I've ever had"

Current Employee - Principal Design Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Arm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is an excellent workplace and an ethical company

Cons

Location is not the best.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

3. "Arm values its people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Arm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been at Arm less than a year (this is the third place I have worked) and Arm is by far the best place of them all. While Arm may not have a product, we have the best people. Everyone is happy, loves their role and is taken care of by the company. They value our happiness and well being. We get some of the best benefits out there (our insurance people tell us "wow, Arm really does take care of you") and this is what differentiates Arm. I have a lot of friends in tech who get burnt out after a year on the job. At the age of 23/24, this is just insane that your job takes over your life. At Arm, the company wants this to be a great place to work, have a great job that doesn't consume you and (most importantly) a life outside of work. Within the US roles, you are able to benefits from some of those amazing UK perks and advantages.

Cons

Our overall benefits package is our competitive advantage and Arm is not a company that copies what everyone else is doing. Some people do not grasp this concept so it's difficult to explain. However, once you are here, you come to appreciate it and it doesn't matter that we are not doing what everyone else is going.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

4. "Principal Engineer"

Current Employee - Principal Design Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Arm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent work life balance, vacations, benefits. Cutting edge architecture & technology needing constant challenging yourself.

Cons

Nothing I can think of at the moment.

Advice to Management

Very well managed. No greed for profits, very controlled royalty based business.

"Love working at Arm!"

Current Employee - Global Talent Acquisition Partner in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Global Talent Acquisition Partner in Austin, TX

I have been working at Arm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Warm welcoming environment, extremely flexible work/life balance, challenging, exciting work, empowered to make an impact, very minimal politics, engaging and transparent senior leadership, globally connected with peers at all levels around the world, a diverse & inclusive culture, many opportunities to work on different projects and with different groups/teams, excellent rewards package, outstanding benefits - best I have ever seen, every employee globally was just given an annual $8500 gift to use towards personal development, well being and family - encouraging each of us to invest in ourselves, try that new hobby, something you've always dreamed of doing - your choice, The Austin office has an incredible farm to table café with video games, foosball, ping pong, + a Starbucks cafe, IT help bar, walking trails, soccer fields, basketball court, gym, etc. and the friendliest facilities team you'll ever find welcoming you to Arm. Smartest engineers ever, doing amazing things, and an ecosystem of working with our partners in a humble culture, which is innovative and bursting the boundaries on what's possible for our future. I could go on and on! I've seen the Cambridge office (rated #2 in the UK on Glassdoor by the way) and the San Jose office as well, and have peers in China, India, Israel, Finland, France and more and all seem to love Arm as much as I do. I'm only 4 months in, but I already know that I will grow leaps and bounds here (I already have) and that this will be my home for years to come. And this role is not my last here, there is so much opportunity to stretch yourself out of your comfort zone. I know I've made the best career decision in joining Arm and highly recommend.

Cons

Because of our partnering ecosystem we don't have our name out there as much as other technology companies, because even though Arm technology enables 99% of the mobile devices out there, we empower our partners to be successful, so it is there name on the devices. But hopefully as we build our newest org out - the IoT space - our brand will be more recognized.

Advice to Management

Keep believing in and investing in your people, continue with your open door policy and transparency - you're doing all the right things. Couldn't be happier. :)

Oct 18, 2017 – Employer Brand Manager

Thank you so much for leaving a review, it's been an absolute pleasure to read and i for one, feel the warm welcoming environment every time i come over to the Austin Office!

Fiona
    Employer Brand... More

6. "Intern"

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Austin, TX

I worked at Arm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good work culture and good people

Cons

micromanagement by some of the employees

"arm is best tech company in silicon valley"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Arm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

cutting edge technology, enlightened management that cares about employee development, and best compensation packages in silicon valley, including lots of vacation (+ 4 wk sabbatical every 4 years), genuine flex-time, good bonuses, etc.

Cons

No ESSOP or stock options. Global distribution of worksites can make organizing intra-company communications challenging.

Advice to Management

Implement an ESSOP! Increase focus on grooming internal management for promotion.

Nov 6, 2017 – Employer Brand and Social Media Specialist

Thanks for leaving a review!

Prior to our acquisition by Softbank, we offered RSUs and ESPP to Arm employees as we were a publicly traded company on both the FTSE and Nasdaq markets. Following the... More

8. "Smart people, solid management, great benefits"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Arm full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very choosy on whom they hire, including culture fit, and so high % of smart people that are great to work with. Management overall if quite competent, strategy is pretty solid. The pay and benefits, particularly with some strong elements of well-being are very strong. If you are good, you will do well in this company. The future seems very promising as well.

Cons

Like many medium-sized companies growing fast, there are silos that need to be broken down. Arm is still learning how to be deal with/extract value from software generally, and contribute to open source in particular

Advice to Management

Accelerate a plan to extract revenue/lead on software. Acquisitions would be necessary here.

9. "Arm is a great place to work"

Current Employee - Corporate Operations in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate Operations in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Arm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good work to life balance, excellent benefits, very collaborative makes working amongst teams very efficient

Cons

large number of product groups with unique processes requires a tailored approach for each

Nov 6, 2017 – Employer Brand and Social Media Specialist

Thanks for leaving a review!

As we continue to grow, we must remain cognizant of how we approach tasks both as a group and as a company. There are changes in place to standardize a lot of the... More

"Best Kept Secret in the Valley"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Arm full-time

Pros

Really smart and opened minded people. Great products once you discover all the technology that's created leveraging Arm's IP.

Cons

Good amount of travel.

Advice to Management

Continue to raise the ceiling. Great ideas come from collaboration and respect of all - keep up the good work.

Oct 18, 2017 – Employer Brand Manager