Arm Reviews | Glassdoor

Arm Chief Executive Officer Simon Segars
Simon Segars

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • bad work life balance / stressful most of the time (in 22 reviews)

• The company is growing very fast for the last few years might face challenges to keep the company culture (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"13 months into an ARM leadership role"

Current Employee - Director of Engineering - HPC Tools in Manchester City Centre, England (UK)

I have been working at Arm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are nice to work with, appreciative and bright.

The work/life balance is respected and many people have a keen focus on diversity and inclusion.

ARM focus on their strengths of solving tough problems and where appropriate use third parties and build success with partners. ARM don't try to do everything or win at everything. My perception is that ARM focus on an area they add value and then do a polished professional job of delivering it.

The overall compensation is highly competitive - some of my team are starting to take their sabbatical's (4 week paid holiday every 4 years - only 3 years to go :-)

I love the trust and autonomy. Despite ARM having over 4500 employees it does not feel like a bureaucratic machine. As a leader I can honestly say that there are few things which you must do in a particular way or slow me down. The processes are pragmatic and mostly there to be made up or tweaked to fit your purpose.

Cons

The nature of the work and lack of previous attention to diversity in team building has led to a narrow set of types of people you get to interact with. I appreciate ARM is taking steps to address this with a Project Everyone programme - I've got involved and hoping to see the positive impact over time.

ARM was formed in Cambridge for designing cpu's. These are not cons, but they weigh heavily as perceptual baggage. ARM is rising up as a company in many world wide locations, who can develop world class software and become dominant in IoT. Despite this Cambridge and hardware sometimes seem to be the perceived places you must be.

Advice to Management

Keep focussed on the ARM values and make sure the rapid growth and shift into new markets do not demotivate and confuse people and create slow downs in some of the key foundations that the product teams rely upon e.g. hiring, legal.

Look to learn lessons from organisations that have gone through big transformations and growth in the past e.g. IBM one of my previous employers.

2. "Very good kickstarter"

Current Employee - Physical Design Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Physical Design Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Arm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As the title speaks for itself, decent and very desirable place to start your career at all levels.

Work culture is more like a hybrid between a start-up and a more stable well established companies.

Cons

Last point from "pros" does have a mixed feeling at Arm. The startup type of culture could be demanding (long work hours, tighter schedules ...)

Advice to Management

Continue to keep up a good work-life balance for everyone in the company at all levels (irrespective of the grades)

Current benefits like below are holding the fort to be relieved from the stressful work and maintain a work-life balance:

#Sabbatical
    #Vacation
    #Holidays
    #Sick leave

Jan 25, 2018 – Employer Brand and Social Media Specialist

Thanks for leaving a review!

The 4-week sabbatical every 4 years of service is one of my favorite benefits of Arm, one that I'm looking forward to take advantage of once I'm eligible in July... More

3. "Disappointing"

Former Employee - Design Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Design Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Arm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not applicable. I don't have even 5 words.

Cons

- Memory compiler releases scheduled on Thanksgiving & other holidays in addition to regular releases every 2 weeks.
    - Hectic schedule makes it hard to follow what is going in the team.
    - Not a positive environment to learn and grow.
    - Senior team mates don't generally provide simple answer to basic queries raised by junior engineers.
    - Very low pay for junior employees compared to other employers in the bay area.
    - Bonus and other compensations are not competitive.

Advice to Management

Please follow up with everyone in the team on a regular basis not just once in a blue moon.

"Becoming a behemoth"

Current Employee - Staff Design Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Staff Design Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Arm full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work is relatively good. People are good and not much politics like in other places.

Cons

No clear roadmap. Benefits are not competitive for the market.

"Employees with tenure are not better off"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Arm full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The working atmosphere was always goods working at ARM.

Cons

My managers didn't know how to manage
    They do not compensate employees who have devoted years to them, as well as they do new hires.
    With all the changes as of late, it's not the same great company it once was to work for.

Advice to Management

Take the employees who have dedicated years to ARM into account regarding salaries. New hires are paid much more than employees who have devoted years to this once great company.

6. "Possibly the best job I've ever had"

I have been working at Arm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is an excellent workplace and an ethical company

Cons

Location is not the best.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

Dec 4, 2017 – Employer Brand and Social Media Specialist

Thanks for leaving a review!

As we continued to expand in Austin, there were only a locations that we had the opportunity to build on with our requirements/input. The office location in Southwest... More

7. "Arm values its people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Arm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been at Arm less than a year (this is the third place I have worked) and Arm is by far the best place of them all. While Arm may not have a product, we have the best people. Everyone is happy, loves their role and is taken care of by the company. They value our happiness and well being. We get some of the best benefits out there (our insurance people tell us "wow, Arm really does take care of you") and this is what differentiates Arm. I have a lot of friends in tech who get burnt out after a year on the job. At the age of 23/24, this is just insane that your job takes over your life. At Arm, the company wants this to be a great place to work, have a great job that doesn't consume you and (most importantly) a life outside of work. Within the US roles, you are able to benefits from some of those amazing UK perks and advantages.

Cons

Our overall benefits package is our competitive advantage and Arm is not a company that copies what everyone else is doing. Some people do not grasp this concept so it's difficult to explain. However, once you are here, you come to appreciate it and it doesn't matter that we are not doing what everyone else is going.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

8. "Principal Engineer"

I have been working at Arm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent work life balance, vacations, benefits. Cutting edge architecture & technology needing constant challenging yourself.

Cons

Nothing I can think of at the moment.

Advice to Management

Very well managed. No greed for profits, very controlled royalty based business.

Nov 23, 2017 – Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for leaving a review on Glassdoor! It's been great to hear your feedback.

Fiona
    Employer Brand manager

"Love working at Arm!"

Current Employee - Global Talent Acquisition Partner in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Global Talent Acquisition Partner in Austin, TX

I have been working at Arm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Warm welcoming environment, extremely flexible work/life balance, challenging, exciting work, empowered to make an impact, very minimal politics, engaging and transparent senior leadership, globally connected with peers at all levels around the world, a diverse & inclusive culture, many opportunities to work on different projects and with different groups/teams, excellent rewards package, outstanding benefits - best I have ever seen, every employee globally was just given an annual $8500 gift to use towards personal development, well being and family - encouraging each of us to invest in ourselves, try that new hobby, something you've always dreamed of doing - your choice, The Austin office has an incredible farm to table café with video games, foosball, ping pong, + a Starbucks cafe, IT help bar, walking trails, soccer fields, basketball court, gym, etc. and the friendliest facilities team you'll ever find welcoming you to Arm. Smartest engineers ever, doing amazing things, and an ecosystem of working with our partners in a humble culture, which is innovative and bursting the boundaries on what's possible for our future. I could go on and on! I've seen the Cambridge office (rated #2 in the UK on Glassdoor by the way) and the San Jose office as well, and have peers in China, India, Israel, Finland, France and more and all seem to love Arm as much as I do. I'm only 4 months in, but I already know that I will grow leaps and bounds here (I already have) and that this will be my home for years to come. And this role is not my last here, there is so much opportunity to stretch yourself out of your comfort zone. I know I've made the best career decision in joining Arm and highly recommend.

Cons

Because of our partnering ecosystem we don't have our name out there as much as other technology companies, because even though Arm technology enables 99% of the mobile devices out there, we empower our partners to be successful, so it is there name on the devices. But hopefully as we build our newest org out - the IoT space - our brand will be more recognized.

Advice to Management

Keep believing in and investing in your people, continue with your open door policy and transparency - you're doing all the right things. Couldn't be happier. :)

Oct 18, 2017 – Employer Brand Manager

Thank you so much for leaving a review, it's been an absolute pleasure to read and i for one, feel the warm welcoming environment every time i come over to the Austin Office!

Fiona
    Employer Brand... More

10. "Intern"

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Austin, TX

I worked at Arm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good work culture and good people

Cons

micromanagement by some of the employees

Nov 23, 2017 – Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for taking time to leave a review. We hope you enjoyed your internship with us!