AspenTech Reviews

Updated May 26, 2020

AspenTech President and Chief Executive Officer Antonio Pietri
Antonio Pietri
Pros
  • "Stable organization, good benefits(in 19 reviews)

• "Good Environment, good people to help and consult you(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • "Also work from home is not an official company policy (though most managers are okay with it), so there aren't great resources in place to accommodate(in 19 reviews)

• "Upper management does not care much about employees: anyone can be easily replaced by somebody else(in 17 reviews)

1. "Can't say enough about this amazing company. What a path its taken and its future surely is bright!"

5.0
    Former Employee - Senior Director, Business Operations in Bedford, MA

I worked at AspenTech full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great Leadership, Thriving Culture, Smart People, Solid financials, Lots of opportunities for growth

Cons

The company sometimes stands in its own way for innovation

2. "Smart people, culture improving, but now upward mobility"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager

I have been working at AspenTech full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I work with some of the smartest, passionate colleagues I have ever worked with. Employees are innovative, passionate and committed despite the culture, which is improving ever so slowly

Cons

There are too few career development opportunities. The culture is still old-school

"Very difficult company to work for"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Executive

I have been working at AspenTech full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You somewhat get a good work-life balance as you are not having to put many "after hours" in to your work. The colleagues are great as well. You get a lot of PTO, but they complain when you take it. My advice is to just use your PTO because either way, management will not be happy.

Cons

There are way to many processes that make the sales cycle extremely slow and inefficient. You spend more time on internal tasks and non-revenue generating processes than you do selling. Everything you do is tracked and micro managed, and the KPI's are unrealistic along with all of the other mundane tasks that we have to do. New processes are added in every time one small thing happens so they can slap your hand when something goes wrong as that is their solution to anything. That's what happens with you work for a company run by engineers, not business minded people. There were very few promotions through my time there and no internal growth path for employees. People have to leave the company for a promotion. I saw 2 promotions on my team in 3 years. AspenTech is not customer focused and is a very difficult environment to sell in. It is a good resume builder though, as the industry recognizes how difficult it is to work for AspenTech. It is an old company that is stuck in its old ways.

"Can't wait to quit"

1.0
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bedford, MA

I have been working at AspenTech full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A lot of Sick Days to use

Cons

Where to begin? The Customer Care supervisors and manager are rude, ignorant and understand very little about the job. They don't pay attention to our needs and like to blow smoke all the time, when we see how fake they are. They are so afraid of their boss in Houston that they throw us under the bus whenever they can.

Continue reading

"Good Stable Company to Work For"

4.0
    Current Employee - Commercial Server License in Houston, TX

I have been working at AspenTech full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits, Flexible Hours, Fun Culture

Cons

Too many executive changes each year

"Okay company"

Former Employee - N/A

I worked at AspenTech full-time for more than a year

Pros

Stable organization, good benefits

Cons

Struggling with shift from old to new culture

"Extremely dated company with a talent deficiency"

Current Employee - Manager in Bedford, MA

I have been working at AspenTech full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Great products, market leader. - Good work/life balance - Some good benefits, some not so good.

Cons

This company is managed and run like a company in the 1990's. Extremely bureaucratic, slow, governed processes, systems and tools. CEO and entire C-level team is very old school and uninspiring. Zero trust from upper leadership with there employees. No work from home and everything is on lock-down unless you get the appropriate permissions, which sometimes needs to come from CEO himself which is a red flag that he gets involved in such low level decisions. There is a severe lack of talent at AspenTech. They attract people later in their careers who are either set in their ways or lack the motivation to fight the uphill battles for change. The good workers usually come and go pretty quickly. To their credit they seem to recognize some of these flaws and are attempting to undergo a leadership transformation. Unfortunately for change to truly happen, it has to start at the top, and the CEO is too stubborn and old school to change at this point in his career.

Continue reading
  8. "Opportunity to influence corporate culture change"

4.0
    Current Employee - Marketing in Bedford, MA

I have been working at AspenTech full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company is undergoing a huge (and much-needed) cultural change which means being an active participant in leading the company towards a positive, new direction. Every day I feel like the things I'm doing and working on are meaningful and actually influencing the future of the company – it's a great opportunity to have a small-company feel while also having resources of a large, global operation. Solid work-life balance is also encouraged as part of the culture change, which is definitely appreciated.

Cons

Change is happening, but can sometimes feel like it's moving at a glacial pace. There are definitely still a few people slow to adopt new ways of working and thinking. Because of that, sometimes you have to work incredibly diligently to get ideas across the line and change people's mindsets. Also work from home is not an official company policy (though most managers are okay with it), so there aren't great resources in place to accommodate.

Continue reading

"Micromanagement - NO TRUST - Don't GO There"

1.0

I worked at AspenTech full-time

Pros

Good company product and vision.

Cons

Low salary, management does not trust employees (no work from home), place is run by control freaks. HR is pitiful. Just puppets. Regularly firing people is what they like to do best.

Continue reading

"Decent place to start, but dangerous to stay"

Former Employee - Software Quality Engineer I in Bedford, MA

I worked at AspenTech full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Work/life balance - no one really expects you to work over your 8 hrs/day - Moving toward agile - Some efforts to innovate with new(ish) APM unit - Good health insurance

Cons

- Still largely waterfall - Managers that never wanted to be managers - "We've always done it this way" mentality - Little opportunity for growth/promotion for most (though these opportunities exist for a select few) - Significantly under-market pay across most departments

Found 328 reviews