Baltimore Life Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
David K. Ficca

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Baltimore Life is a great place for a long term career."

Current Employee - Insurance Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Insurance Sales Representative

I have been working at Baltimore Life full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Baltimore Life is a great company to work with for many reasons. It is a small enough company that you are not just a number. It is easier to bring about positive change than in a larger company because you can reach the person who makes the decisions. You have excellent access to upper management. The company has a family atmosphere where everyone matters. They have extreme patience in allowing employees to learn and grow because they believe in building for the future, not just the next quarterly sales report. The money they invest in your continuing education is the best I've seen in my years in the industry. They not only make it available they make it mandatory. Their goal is to have the most educated and professional agents in the industry.

Cons

The one major disadvantage is that we are a little behind in technology but are working vigorously to improve this.

Advice to Management

I believe the most pressing need is improved technology, such as an updated client management system and simplified electronic application process. Also, I would like to see a Universal Life policy pricing restructure, focusing more on the guaranteed face amount with lower cash values in order to lower premiums for business owners who are only concerned with business succession needs and not cash value accumulation. This would greatly improve our chances in competitive situations. Also, I would like to see an accident indemnity plan to help with worksite sales.

2. "Lack of growth/opportunity for millennials. Unprofessional management"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Owings Mills, MD
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Owings Mills, MD

I worked at Baltimore Life full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They always had food gatherings.

Cons

There are limited to no opportunity for growth. Although they make is seem like you are encouraged to to grow within the company in the beginning, management and employees who have been there for decades don't like to see a new or young person move to other departments. Even the people who have been there for years say that they make is seem like opportunities are endless however, they make it close to impossible to move to another department. Management has an issue with bad mouthing employees and sharing private information. This made the environment hostile and not an ideal workplace environment. If you want to be in the same position for 5-10 years, with a 3% increase every year, this place is for you. If you are actually looking to grow and be happy with a non "corporate America" environment, go else where. All of the young people I worked with either found employment elsewhere or hate going there everyday.

Advice to Management

Focus on being a better professional environment and actually follow standard HR protocol. Invest in getting more millennials and KEEPING them. We realize how terrible the opportunities are within the company and immediately want to find another "career". Invest in better computer software. Make sure the management team are treating employee with respect! We are employees not our managers child. You give respect to receive it back. Favoritism should never be shown in a workplace especially by management. Finally personal life should not be mixed and decisions should not be made according to what goes on outside of work.

3. "Great job"

Pros

Great job and a great opportunity to earn an excellent income while helping others.

Cons

Great job with wonderful opportunities.

4. "Family Oriented, great training and Employee focused"

Current Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Baltimore Life full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great small company feel. Listen to employees and take suggestions, flexibility, and good at developing people and leaders.

Cons

Limited offices throughout the country.

Advice to Management

Explore more in the social media and electronic world.

5. "A company with so much more to offer..."

Current Employee - Agency Manager
    Current Employee - Agency Manager

I have been working at Baltimore Life full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Treat the employees with respect and appreciate input from all employees to improve the business
    -Excellent ongoing training program for the agents both experienced and new to the insurance career
    -Boasts strong agent compensation for a career agent system
    -Caring, knowledgeable, and dependable team atmosphere both in the field and at the home office
    -Best in class benefits package for agents and staff compared to other insurance companies that I know. Strong retirement package as well.
    -Opportunity for growth for standout performance (your hard work is rewarded)
    -Company paid continuing educational opportunities to become more proficient and earn industry recognized career designations/certifications
    -Positive work environment with great support of the team
    -Might be an old company, but it's small by choice, and as an employee, you are known by your name, not your employee number
    -So many business building tools provided at virtually no cost to the agent
    -A more flexible work schedule to give you work/life balance
    -Large product portfolio
    -Impact your future by helping families with protection they need and make a difference

Cons

-The only upfront cost you have is securing your insurance license to begin the agent career (Baltimore Life does help offset some pre-licensing costs) unless you are already licensed
    -In any sales role that utilizes commission, you have to have a lot of activity (be talking to a large number of people) to be successful
    -Expect you to learn rapidly because this business does have a learning curve (the faster you learn, the better you will become)
    -Success does not come overnight (you will need time to build your book of business, however, those who are truly motivated to do well, will do well using the company activity metrics
    -Sometimes you may need to be willing to go the extra mile in your workweek to be successful, Working an extra evening or two or three, or willing to run a sales appointment on the weekend may be necessary. Be willing to put in the time early in your career to ensure your success
    -This is not an easy career, but there's nothing about this job that you can't learn how to do
    -Technology upgrades are being deployed, so expect a few bumps as the new technologies are being implemented

Advice to Management

I think the management has a strong open door policy and listens and value input from all employees. I'd like to see one change in the employee group dental plan. To have one that covers dental implants would be a nice upgrade (Delta to United Concordia). That's the ONLY thing that is missing from what is truly excellent health benefits for the employees.

6. "Baltimore Life is what you make it!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA

Pros

I have never before worked for a company where everyone knew my name! For a large competitive company Baltimore Life has the feel of a family business. Co-workers actually like each other, are welcoming and always willing to offer help. Wonderful company to work for.

Cons

You do need to show up and work. The good thing is that at Baltimore Life you will get out of the job what you put into it.

Advice to Management

Never get away from the family feeling you have built, it sets you apart from the rest!

7. "Review"

Former Employee - Intern in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Intern in Baltimore, MD

Pros

great job great people, i love it.

Cons

no cons great place to work

Advice to Management

keep up the good work

8. "It could be nice for some people"

Pros

Family atmosphere and environment. Always closed for holidays

Cons

Antiquated systems and ways of thinking

"Management clueless, unethical sales practices, board of directors out of touch with operations, high turnover in sales"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Owings Mills, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Owings Mills, MD

I worked at Baltimore Life full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I found that most of the administrative staff in the home office are very competent and a pleasure with which to work.

Cons

Sales force lacks direction and competent management. Very high turnover rate in sales force. Training is outdated. Management overlooks and sometimes encourages unethical sales practices. Stagnant sales. Most sales people earn less than $25,000 a year.

Advice to Management

Get in touch with reality. Your sales management team is misleading you with "numbers". You should jettison your branch sales network.

"In the end, terrible company to work for."

Former Employee - Agent
    Former Employee - Agent

I worked at Baltimore Life full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-The only redeeming quality for this company that I found was friendly and helpful home office personnel. You were able to communicate directly with underwriting dept. regarding an insurance application or with any questions for a potential case.
    -Also, able to work from home 4 days per week.

Cons

-Commission only and low pay to start.
    -Cannot access commission until after 18th week.
    -Micromanagement when poorly performing...even when working from home.
    -Very difficult tracking systems - viewing pending policies, no communication with new business. Applications could just sit there.
    -New applications disappear in new business. Replaced 2 policies internally and was never contacted with instructions on additional forms needed. I actually advised client to go with another company as I did not have nor could not get a clear explanation.
    -Employee health insurance rates VERY high.
    -Requested information on becoming an independent agent after expressing my decision to resign. Office manager never once contacted afterwards with that information...in fact, never from manager until below instance several months later.
    -Threatened a court order for not returning laptop computer. (Computer was supposed to be payroll deducted--therefore my property--, but office manager forgot to set it up. One year later, never admitted to not having done that.)
    -Management never confronted me after deciding to resign, only text messages. Not the way I prefer to do business. I expected more from management.
    -Overall, a very strange and disappointing experience. Financial services is a great industry to work in, yet this put such a bad taste in my mouth that I'd never again go back into it.

Advice to Management

No advice, but from the above complaints, it should be clear as to what needs to be addressed/changed.