Bealls Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bealls CEO Stephen M. Knopik
Stephen M. Knopik

Pros
Cons
  • Annual raises are between 2-3% which doesn't equate to much when you start out with such low pay (in 30 reviews)

• Also favoritism is rampant in upper management (in 22 reviews)

"Expect a lot for a little"

Former Employee - District Manager in Columbus, GA
    Former Employee - District Manager in Columbus, GA

I worked at Bealls full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Off price stores in the outlet division. This is great right now with the economy because customers are on tight budgets

Cons

The Outlet division has very low budgets and payroll allowance but the executive management expects high dollar performance. This leads to salary people working sixty plus hours a week.

Advice to Management

Don't let the job become your whole life.

2. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Riverview, FL
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Riverview, FL

I worked at Bealls part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employee discount, friendly co workers

Cons

Crazy hours, poor management, very messy and desorganize place

Advice to Management

More communiation with the staff

3. "ok job but the pay isn't"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Sebastian, FL
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Sebastian, FL

I worked at Bealls full-time (More than a year)

Pros

freedom to be creative with your department

Cons

the pay is not that good. total lack of training

5. "sales"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Bealls part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

some of the people are nice to work with..

Cons

wow where to start... everything that was said about the store is true. There is no or very little help from the management staff. There is NO follow thru and things , orders, projects, direction change everyday. Asking customers over and over to open credits is awful! I've worked there for years and I don't even have the credit card. Bealls is constantly changing the rules for staff and customers, at times it's not worth shopping there.

Advice to Management

You need to get ALL your management staff on the same page. You can ask the same question to them all and get all different answers! All the company wants is to make money, it offers poor quality merchandise, way over priced, they pay the employees very little... Some days they brag about making alot of money, but come raise time you can get 5 cent an hour, if you're lucky maybe 15cents .. wow..

6. "You are not human, just a commodity"

Former Employee - Merchandise Technician in Bradenton, FL
    Former Employee - Merchandise Technician in Bradenton, FL

I worked at Bealls full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice coworkers and they let you sit at a desk.

Cons

Horrific management experience. They KNEW my boss was a neurotic nut job, and I got initial sympathy from higher mgmt. But higher mgmt was a flake, and did not come thru for me when I needed him, in spite of his face-to-face promise to me to do so. I was older than my boss, am a former executive and business consultant, and she was a pathetic excuse for a human being, so very blatantly abusive. I had it out with her time after time, that she was reacting emotionally and bulkying me for no valid reason. I KNEW I was doing a great job, even got the highest raise (25 cents an hour, bfd). I was over-qualified, but ok with that, yet my nutty boss would constantly take out her crazy on me, saying I wasn't productive enough. Swapping notes with my work perrs showed I was way ahead on productivity. Bealls had a rotally useless personnel rep in our building, may as well not have been there. No help ever came from corporate HR, and it should have, because such an evident hostile work environment is ILLEGAL. Long story short, idiot former boss is still there, but I'm long gone. Bealls has no investment in its employees, none. Their archaic computer system is hard to learn, and I arrived with 32 years of computer admin experience. Bealls felt absolutely no need to cultivate me as a corporate asset. They are selfish, incompetent, not smart. My contacts there since 2013 are either completely miserable or gone. It's still the same. Don't go there.

Advice to Management

Try management school.

"Good work doesn't pay"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Port Orange, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Port Orange, FL

I have been working at Bealls part-time

Pros

Close to home. Flexible hours

Cons

If you are a hard worker and follow the rules, it's all lost at this company. They talk to you like garbage. You are paid a little above min. wage and are running your whole shift. Or having to ask every single customer their 1) zip code 2)email address 3)if they would like to open up a charge card. People get pissed asking them question after question after waiting in line because it's either short staffed or the other people you hire barely speak English or are so lazy they don't want to bother. AND you have to ask if they are sure and ask BEFORE they get their total! And so the customers takes it out on you. Never mind that they are getting 50% off and $10 off of $25 and whatever else. And we are not allowed to give everyone the coupons. THEY have to stand there for 20 mins and look it up on their phone. And Bealls Bucks...no worry if you want to use them before or after the USE ON dates, the managers will let you get $70. worth of stuff for NOTHING! Meanwhile I'm humping my butt and get paid crap. Come in to the store at 8pm on and Tuesday night ( senior day) and look at the piles of clothes they leave on the floor in the dressing rooms. And the shambles that are the racks. Because they are under staffed and managers don't help, it could take a week to get the stuff back on the racks. My hours are less and less but they keep hiring. Zero opportunity to move up or make more $.

Advice to Management

You want customer service and a clean store? Hire people who are willing to WORK. Pay us decent. And do not talk down to us. We are people JUST LIKE YOU.

"Racist profiling of customers/employees"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at Bealls full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My supervisor ( a woman) was the nicest person in there, also the co-workers in the office.

Cons

The other co-workers on the floor, they were people belittling other employees (Black and Hispanics), forgetting that they were only "White Trash". They over worked Black employees and a White Trash clique did not and do not help Black employees...outrageously true....also Black employees were treated as second class citizen by management and all in a mostly Black city....the nerve!!!!

Advice to Management

It will never make any difference, as I said I worked with a good supervisor, (White woman), really nice and fair....I hope she left that place...

"You are never enough"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Cloud, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Cloud, FL

I have been working at Bealls part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Discounts on crappy slave labor clothing that will be destroyed after three washes

Cons

You will always be wrong. You do what management asks, you're wrong. You do the opposite, youre wrong. You provide great customer service, you're too slow. You push people along the line, you aren't pushing credit cards enough. They expect each customer to sign up for a credit card, if they don't you're the problem. The supervisors are full of themself and talk down to everyone, including the customers. They will chastise you in front of customers, to the point that the customer starts apologizing for getting you in trouble. Management expects perfection and impossible speed, you can't have both. They make empty threats and make you sign papers that "come from corporate" for impossible to follow policies.

Advice to Management

It all starts from the top. Store management needs to change. I don't give a flying flip about the plaques in the office saying this store in #1. It won't matter once you say the wrong thing to the wrong person.

10. "Bealls Riverviee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Riverview, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Riverview, FL

I worked at Bealls part-time

Pros

Fellow employees are really hard working and they have your nack.

Cons

The store manager is a shrew, doesn't care about the employees, the only thing she cares about is how many credits you can obtain for her, micromanaging is her specialty. The nepotism is horrible at that store!

"Unethical"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Estero, FL
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Estero, FL

I worked at Bealls full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy, no skill needed. 20% discount.

Cons

Management is belittling, condescending and abusive. They discriminate against anyone with an opinion or anyone who stands up for themselves. If you work here, you need to understand that you will be bullied, belittled, and abused. If you do not stand there and take it, they only grow more spite for their employees and retaliate by embarrassing you, and harassing you.

Advice to Management

Do not hire your friends and treat them with due respect but everyone else like trash on the side of the road. Management thinks with their emotions and acts upon them rather than using their head and treating people like just that... people.