Bio-Reference Labs Reviews

Updated May 9, 2021

3.5
Bio-Reference Labs President Geoff Monk (no image)
Geoff Monk
Pros
  • "Great benefits and strong work team(in 26 reviews)

• "Good hours, good benefits overall(in 22 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Pay could be better, not a lot of room for growth(in 10 reviews)

• "No room for growth within the company(in 10 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Gender

This rating reflects the overall rating of Bio-Reference Labs and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Smart people can work their way up

Apr 28, 2021 - Medical Technologist in Elmwood Park, NJ
      Business Outlook

Pros

If you are very smart, then this company is definitely for you and you can advance rather quickly… otherwise, your raises will be mediocre. The company’s medical insurance is very extensive and they pay better than most in the industry.

Cons

Don’t expect to get paid more just for sticking around. If you aren’t adding more value to the company every year, then your pay won’t increase every year. Be smart. Do the work. That’s how you succeed at BioReference.

2. 5.0

Safety is their #1 priority in the lab

Apr 21, 2021 - Material Handler in Elmwood Park, NJ
      Business Outlook

Pros

We’re expected to follow every single safety guideline to a T. There’s no exceptions and no allowances. Management will sometimes issue warnings, but they can also just let you go immediately for a safety infraction. I’ve heard some of my coworkers grumbling about this, but I fully support the company’s stance on this matter. Working in a lab is no joke. Even if you’ve been doing it for years and think you know what you’re doing, accidents can happen and mistakes in a lab setting are 100 times worse than mistakes made in a regular office setting. I’m happy working in a lab where safety is taken so seriously and I personally wouldn’t have it any other way.

Cons

The biggest con is employees who don’t appreciate the company’s emphasis on safety.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Way more pros than cons

Apr 21, 2021 - Lab Aide in Elmwood Park, NJ
      Business Outlook

Pros

Modern thinking; My direct supervisor isn't that great but the rest of the management is fantastic; Plenty of space to think outside of the box; We are not held to old ways of doing things; Good benefits = medical, dental, PTO, 401k, etc.; Social team and good vibe; Some flexibility; Management helps everyone do their job to the best of their ability; Given all the tools and support we need to succeed.

Cons

My direct supervisor. That guy is bad.

4. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Best first job experience!

Apr 26, 2021 - Phlebotomist in Elmwood Park, NJ
      Business Outlook

Pros

Working at Bio-Reference is a great way to get hands-on lab experience. They’re one of the few labs in the area that’ll hire people fresh out of college so whether you decide to stay long-term or not, it’s a great option for recent grads.

Cons

They’re extremely nitpicky about how things are done in the labs. There’s a lot of rules and safety procedures to follow and you have to do them every single day. Eventually it becomes second nature, but until that happens it’s a hassle trying to keep track of it all.

5. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Managers are real human beings

Mar 27, 2021 - Phlebotomist in Elmwood Park, NJ
      Business Outlook

Pros

I appreciate it more now than I did when I was working here, but the managers here are real, down-to-earth human beings. They don’t act like they’re a cut above everyone else and they don’t expect you to cower in their presence and treat them like gods. I never had any issues going in to talk to my manager about anything that was on my mind or asking for time off when I needed it. I was respectful and professional, but then so was he. The respect was never one-sided. I wanted to write this review because of the terrible experience I’ve had with management so far at my new job. It’s making me appreciate the environment at Bio-Reference Labs so much more and just writing this out is making me reconsider whether or not the increase in pay was even worth it. I might be back before too long.

Cons

If there were any I can’t remember them.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

We do our very best every single day

Apr 20, 2021 - Medical Technologist in Elmwood Park, NJ
      Business Outlook

Pros

Bio-Reference is one of the top 10 labs in the USA. We've made some mistakes along the way, but we’ve also done a lot of things right. What sets us apart though is that we are dedicated to continually learning. Both from our successes and our mistakes. One of the key's to our success is that teamwork has been, and continues to be, at the very core of our culture. This manifests itself in many ways. Everyone has input into the process and everyone’s opinions and ideas are respected. Bio-Reference creates space for everyone to be heard… whether you’re at the very bottom or the very top of the totem pole, you’ll get your time to say your peace. Plus, there’s always someone there to help resolve an issue, understand a requirement, or anything else you might need throughout your work day. We have each other’s backs. We know that with dedication, smart thinking and hard work we can achieve even our most ambitious company goals, and this is something management tries to impart on a more personal level to every single employee. The sky is the limit when you work here. Change is never easy, but we face it with resolve and eventually learn to embrace it with excitement. You’re also given plenty of opportunities to learn more about other areas of the company, so even people who are considering a career change are able to stay within the company to try out new avenues and potential career paths. It’s exciting and fun and supportive. Everything a company should be.

Cons

People’s experience here is whatever you make it. If you’re the kind of person to look on the negative side of things and always see storm clouds instead of the rainbow, then that’s what you’ll find. I don’t know what to tell you. Be more positive and optimistic and you’ll see all the good there is to experience at a company like Bio-Reference.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Only gotten better in the last year

Apr 12, 2021 - Clinical Lab Assistant in Elmwood Park, NJ
      Business Outlook

Pros

One of the best companies I've worked for in my 10-year career. While not everything is perfect, the faults are openly acknowledged and addressed when possible. I appreciate that management doesn't try to keep people that aren't a good fit or aren't pulling their weight. What else? - 100% health coverage paid for by the company - Solid pay - (mostly) smart team members - Management is willing to listen to feedback and criticism - Quality, high-tech equipment - Almost no top-down dictatorial management.

Cons

Not a single one. No company is perfect, but Bio-Reference comes pretty dang close.

8. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Working at BioReference lab

May 9, 2021 - Eligibility Worker in Redding, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Allowed autonomy and no micro managing

Cons

Closed down sites frequently with no notice

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Fantastic work/life balance

Apr 20, 2021 - Special Coagulation Representative in Elmwood Park, NJ
      Business Outlook

Pros

*4 day work weeks are common *consistent schedules (+ no odd hours) *excellent pay and benefits *plenty of support *emphasis on mental & physical health *managers are approachable and easy to talk to

Cons

I don’t get along with everyone in the lab at the moment.

10. 5.0

Great pay and healthcare

Apr 12, 2021 - Medical Technologist in Elmwood Park, NJ
      Business Outlook

Pros

The work environment is great and I love my colleagues, but I’d be lying if I didn’t admit that it’s mostly the pay and the healthcare benefits that keep me tied to BRL. They pay much higher than industry standard and this past year has shown me just how comprehensive and inexpensive their healthcare plan is. 10/10.

Cons

They take chances on people who don’t really deserve them.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 356 Reviews