BitTitan Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
BitTitan CEO Geeman Yip
Geeman Yip

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • A huge new office with all the free food and drinks you could want (in 18 reviews)

• Work life balance is great and as a mom I feel like there is a lot of consideration (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • You're allowed 1 work from home day/per week in Sales (in 3 reviews)

• Senseless spending - oversized office space, fancy speakers, custom soda-making machine (in 4 reviews)

"There’s a lot of tech companies in WA and I still choose to stay at BT"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at BitTitan full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* Super smart coworkers to learn from
    * A huge new office with all the free food and drinks you could want. Even beer!
    * The company has the energy of a startup but the stability of a mature company
    * The company is growing so there’s opportunities for career growth if you stick around

Cons

* Everyone is super passionate about their jobs which can lead to some heated discussions when there’s a disagreement
    * We’re growing so fast its taking upper management some time to adjust

"Ability to Make An Impact!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at BitTitan full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pros: Opportunity to work with super smart people! Because the company is a smaller organization employees have the ability to affect change and make an impact. There is no perfect company out there. BitTitan has it's challenges but I appreciate the willingness of the organization to listen to employee feedback and make changes. New Town Hall meetings give employees a voice and an opportunity to ask the leaders the tough questions and share what is on their minds. There has been a trend towards better communication and transparency and I appreciate that.
    Opportunity to work hard, contribute, but also have fun! Recent Happy Hour events hosted by the company include Laser Tag, Cinco De Mayo, and an upcoming Derby Car Race.

Cons

There has been a lot of changes within the structure of the organization and changes in leadership. This feels unsettling although I would like to believe these are in the best interest of the company.

Advice to Management

Keep communicating with your employees. Trust the people that you have hired to make decisions and be responsible for their work and output.

"Good Engineers, Bad Management"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Kirkland, WA

I worked at BitTitan full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A couple really talented engineers got talked into working here, and I built a network which now extends to multiple great companies

Cons

CEO cannot take advice from anyone. Has a very big ego and believes he is some type of god among tech management. Would frequently brag about his skills and how if he left BitTitan he would be a exec at Amazon or somewhere else easily. Senior management all follows suite and has the same personality.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, drop the egos, get more organized, stop making decisions that affect the jobs of people impulsively and without any data

"The CEO is ruining the company"

I have been working at BitTitan full-time

Pros

- the colleagues (the main reason why people are still staying)
    - the new office (which is double the size we need)
    - the equipment
    - find a role that is far away from the CEO and his management team and you should be ok (this is where the positive reviews come from)

Cons

BitTitan is a great Company with great products and great people.
    BUT we have a serious problem - a management problem.

The company is run by a CEO that is lacking the skills the company needs. He hangs on to incompetent managers, even after they get moved out of their role.

If you start working here, you should get used to the fact, that the CEO thinks he could do everyone's job better.

If you want more details, just read the other negative reviews. We all come to the same conclusion (and we all know it will never happen).

Advice to Management

I only see one chance for BitTitan. The board needs to replace the CEO and the Yes-Sayer with a competent management team that values & trusts their people and enables them instead of holding them back with constant strategy changes and useless training courses.

The main reason why BitTitan is not already bankrupt are the people at the base and in middle management. We do our jobs despite the mistrust, hubris and incompetence that trickles down from the CEO.

Just look at SkyKick, an inferior product but they get millions in fresh funding, while we have to let people go. It's just sad to witness our decline.

"The buck stops with you!"

I have been working at BitTitan full-time

Pros

The CEO is a self-described "mentor and philanthropist". Definitely ask about those amazing philanthropic contributions to society. Considerable time will be spent coaching you 1-on-1, revealing all your shortcomings. You will be taught how to do your job properly. You will be educated about your constant mistakes and ineptitude.

Cons

A few employees fear the CEO but most seem to hate him. When you ask your marketing department to parade with boards having your face printed on it, it's amusing. When your lack of emotional intelligence leads you to admit that you have an "intellectual advantage" over employees, it's insulting.

Advice to Management

It's understandable that you are totally overwhelmed - cure your trumpian ego!

"Good and bad"

I have been working at BitTitan full-time

Pros

Great location! The work is also interesting and challenging. I love my co-workers! Thank you for all the free food. Benefits are pretty good.

Cons

Unethical CEO hires family members, rents his own house to the company, regularly insults employees ("I could do your job better than you"). Senseless spending - oversized office space, fancy speakers, custom soda-making machine...

Advice to Management

Hire a new CEO.

"What Happened with the CTO?"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Kirkland, WA

I worked at BitTitan part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Loved the company when I was there. Things seem to have taken a terrible turn.

Cons

Why did the CTO leave?

Advice to Management

As a former employee, the chance that I exercise shares with such terrible performance over the last 1.5 years is extremely low - luckily I still have a few months to decide. I bet the execs have carve-outs written for a sale and thus common stock doesn't need to be worth anything for them to still get paid on a sale.

"A software engineer's perspective in Bellevue"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at BitTitan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The people you work with are great. Talented people you can learn from. Hard working people. People you can laugh with yet get work done together effectively.
    - Opportunities are endless here. We have the opportunity to work on leading edge technologies with Azure and AWS. Work is never boring and you get to work on what you want to do.
    - Honestly, definitely the best workplace for doing remote work for me. We get 1 day of remote work per week no questions and when out of state or country we get to work remotely.

Cons

- The promotion ladder isn't clear. We need simple way to visualize how we can get to the next promotional ladder, even if they are small steps.
    - Compensation could be better. Definitely equal or below average in the area.
    - Health benefits are getting worse year-over-year
    - The energy in the office has been a downer since the last layoffs and turnover as a result of that.

Advice to Management

Let our devs meet our customers. We want a chance to understand what they like and don't like. We do not want to have PMs and executives to hide customers idea's from us and have PMs and executives tell us customers want this feature without any backing who these customers are. Maybe next time we have a company event, we can bring a customer on stage to show the goods and the bad of our products to better help them in the future.

"Once a cool startup, no more"

I worked at BitTitan full-time

Pros

Just like many of the other reviewers here, I loved the people I worked with. Yeah, the cool building and free food were great, but the real strength of the company was in its hardworking, fun-loving employees. Now they are leaving the company in droves.

Cons

- Toxic Culture from the top down including constant profanity, degrading your work, unrealistic deadlines, playing the blame game, and lack of culpability.
    - Broken product life cycle where executives' whims are the driving force behind features, not customer needs or PM research. With endless last minute changes and poor planning, the product ends up suffering from cut corners and half-completed features that will get fixed "someday".
    - "I could do your job in a weekend" -CEO, basically to every employee

"What Happened to the Company?"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at BitTitan full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I got to work on some fun stuff along w/ some really fun and amazingly smart and talented people.
    The Co-workers really make this place.
    Paid parking was nice, free food was awesome, time off, benefits.

Cons

Many smart and talented people keeping this place afloat are now gone.

Constant changing and not giving time for an idea or ideas to work - Haste Makes Waste. Patience is a Virtue. Good Things Come to Those Who Wait. A Blind Person who Sees is Better Than a Seeing Person Who is Blind.

Bourgie new bldg. upgrades i.e. automated coffee press, stage with overkill sound system, t.v. screens all over the place that aren't even on, seriously, why are there so many blank t.v's? Customizable soft drink machine - save your money.

Emphasis on the companies' value system. Don't get me wrong, the companies' "Values" are good, (I'd chalk them up to common sense if you're a decent human) but its treated like a newfound concept and thus is the company religion. It'd be great if the KINDNESS and LEADERSHIP values were actually exercised by senior management as well as the CEO. I've never met anyone that can motivate one day then belittle / insult his employees the next.

Advice to Management

Exercise the Bottom-up management scenario and LISTEN to your people, so many reviews say this but for some reason it falls on deaf ears.
    Do as you say and don't just feed the employees a bunch of nice words when its convenient.
    Day 1 we're told we are ALL leaders...