Bitly Reviews | Glassdoor

Bitly Reviews

Updated Nov 8, 2019

4.1
Bitly CEO Mark Josephson (no image)
Mark Josephson
  1. "A dream come true"

Current Employee - Scrum Master in Denver, CO

I have been working at Bitly full-time

Pros

Snacks! Dog friendly Unlimited PTO Unlimited work from home

Cons

None to mention at this time

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! You've created something pretty special here and continue to put an emphasis on employee happiness.

Bitly2019-11-08
  2. "Good Leadership Questionable Product"

Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Bitly full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great leadership and over all team.

Cons

Nice to have too but not need to have tool

Bitly2019-10-04
  3. "Great culture with strategically-minded leadership"

Current Employee - Director of Product in Denver, CO

I have been working at Bitly full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great culture with strategically-minded leadership who care deeply about listening to employees in order to grow as a team and listening markets to provide the best possible value to customers.

Cons

As a startup, there can be shifting priorities but that's to be expected. A con to some but embraced by others.

Bitly2019-08-28
  4. "Small Company, Big Bureaucracy"

Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at Bitly full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people are all amazing. Mid-level management has our backs. Leadership can admit when they're wrong. Company has a strong vision.

Cons

For a company with less than 150 employees, there is a major bureaucratic attitude at the top. Mid -level managers and below are all fantastic and have a team oriented mindset, but with VPs and above coming from large companies like Salesforce, there is way to much of a hierarchal mentality. While they can admit when poor decisions are made, many of these decisions would be avoidable if they took all opinions into... account. With a company this size, that shouldn't be difficult to do. Likewise, decisions are all made excruciatingly slowly. It seems as though no one in leadership is very decisive, and the lack of decision making impacts everyone in the organization. The culture is dropping at a substantial rate because not only is the revenue org being negatively impacted by changes, but because we have an "I told you so" mindset after being completely ignored.

Advice to Management

It happened- there was too much confidence in our product and the sales team was inflated way too quickly with a lack of demand. The people on the bottom saw that coming. Self service was put up after we said it would hurt revenue, we saw that coming. Have faith in the people that you hire to have worthy opinions. It is not too late to turn things around, but senior management needs to start listening. We have a... town hall meeting and are talked AT without the ability to discuss. We have dreams and are talked AT with 2 minutes for questions. We've been right twice and two mistakes could have been avoided had we been listened to. Your people feel undervalued. The easiest way to fix that is to show you trust them and listen.

Bitly2019-09-03
  5. "Diverse and welcoming staff"

Current Employee - Office Coordinator in Denver, CO

I have been working at Bitly full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very organized and professional. Managers make a conscious effort to help employees succeed in and outside the office.

Cons

N/A. I've really enjoyed my time at Bitly thus far.

Bitly2019-08-13

"Lack of direction"

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Bitly full-time for less than a year

Pros

The majority of the people are great.

Cons

The company appears to have realized they needed to drive revenue and their solution was simply repackaged a freemium product as "enterprise" offering. Despite searching for senior talent, they allow for zero autonomy and insist on Sales Engineers being involved at every touchpoint. Bitly also made the classic mistake of growing a sales team rapidly and in an unsustainable fashion. Like many companies before them,... the hiring was done without a need. As a result, almost all the hires are no longer at the company. These issues aside, the most troubling aspect was the passive-aggressive nature of specific people on the sales team. This is not common in the tech world and took me, and other members of the team, by surprise.

Advice to Management

There are some great people at Bitly but I worry about the companies future. The product appears to be the same as it was 5 years ago and throwing bodies at sales isn't going to change that fact. I think management needs to take a realistic approach to grow the business and maybe product could develop new functionality (i.e. a social publishing tool etc) to make the platform more holistic.

Bitly2019-08-02

"Life At Bitly"

Current Employee - SDR in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Bitly full-time for less than a year

Pros

Awesome product, awesome management, awesome on boarding, awesome company! This is place where you are in charge of your own work flow, get the job done and you'll be good!

Cons

It gets pretty silent at times... that's about the only con!

Advice to Management

Keep doing your thing!

Bitly2019-06-18

"Great company going through changes"

Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at Bitly full-time for less than a year

Pros

The culture and people are like no other. Unlimited PTO. Multiple Health Insurance options to choose from. 4% Matched 401k. Work from Home. Cool modern offices filled with snacks, games, and such.

Cons

The only con currently is there are multiple changes happening at once in the Sales team. With the release of the Self Service product leads have been very low. This is causing a lot of people in the sales org to be a bit frustrated.

Advice to Management

Keep a clear line of communication and listen to the current employees. We can turn this around, and will.

Bitly2019-06-24

"Top-notch interviewing and on-boarding experience"

I have been working at Bitly full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've worked at much larger tech companies that had nowhere near the level of professionalism, efficiency, and comprehensiveness as Bitly for both the interviewing process and the on-boarding experience. For the interviewing experience, I knew up front exactly what the process would look like and what to expect and the team followed through exactly as promised. End-to-end the entire process took about weeks. ... On-boarding is incredibly polished and thorough. You understand the mission, core values, culture, and how things work right out the gate. Talk about making a good first impression. Bitly delivers.

Cons

Spread out a bit with folks in NYC, Denver, and San Francisco, but there's great respect for the fact we're working in different timezones and the teams make it work.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great visibility, thoughtful decision-making, and commitment to living our the core values every day.

Bitly2019-05-02
  10. "SDR"

Current Employee - SDR in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Bitly full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very good working environment for sales. Upper management is effective and has your back. As long as you're a go-getter, you'll thrive here. They do not baby-sit or micro-manage here. If you need someone to hold your hand through everything, go work at yelp. Overall vibe of salesteam is supportive, kind, and humble.

Cons

No major Cons that I can think of at this time. Capped commission for SDR's though.

Advice to Management

N/A

Bitly2019-04-16