Brady Reviews | Glassdoor

Brady President, CEO & Director J. Michael Nauman
J. Michael Nauman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • And upper management was a out of touch (in 6 reviews)

• Ongoing high turnover of highly talented individuals (in 5 reviews)

1. "Great Place to Stretch & Learn"

I have been working at Brady full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

1. Focus on revenue-driving areas of the business like Innovation, Product Marketing, ECommerce Tools, Engineering & Sales
    2. Culturally supportive of people who have an idea and want to dedicate time and energy to making their idea a reality. In other words, if you want to take the initiative on something, you will usually be given the opportunity to do so.

Cons

Brady is a business preparing itself to compete effectively for the next 100 years. This means constant change. But let's face it, all companies are having to learn how to adapt to changes in the consumer, technology and economic landscape faster than ever before. I don't believe Brady is different in this regard.

Advice to Management

1. Don't stay in your office all day. Block some time to interact with people face-to-face. Start with 15 minutes and increase it over time.
    2. Communicate more than you think you need to about not only the challenges we face, but the opportunity that these challenges bring for the right people to rise to the occasion and contribute more than they ever thought possible. Also, continue to inspire us with the vision for the future. Businesses undergoing change need to communicate far more than leaders think is necessary to all levels of the organization.

2. "Management"

I worked at Brady (Less than a year)

Pros

Management is good and clean place to work

Cons

I dont not have anything bad to say

3. "Customer Service - QT Specialist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Brady full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

Don't always get the best training for all areas of the business needs.

4. "Inside sales"

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Brady full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work with much stability and long term growth opportunity

Cons

There are not really any downsides to working at Brady

5. "Customer Service at Brady"

Current Employee - Cusomer Service in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Cusomer Service in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Brady full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of my coworkers are friendly and helpful.

Cons

Unethical practices

Management does not lead by example nor do they put the customer first.

Ongoing high turnover of highly talented individuals

Lack of communication, training, mentoring, and development of talent.

Low Pay, Upward movement is non-existent, not willing to retain talent, Old school culture, Very little sick time and PTO.

If you use your sick time you are penalized, therefore, it isn't really a benefit.

Archaic business practices, outdated software and the customer web based tools are at best, nonfunctional and not user friendly.

The current Management team is incredibly unethical, rude, prejudice, fake, and overall poor leaders.

Ultimately, you are a name next to a number on a balance sheet. It doesn't matter how long you've been with the company, skill set, experience, or contributions, they will cut you without a second thought since can be replaced by someone who they can pay less money than you.

They are a multimillion dollar company that cannot afford to purchase basic office supplies and equipment. We are told to purchase our own pens, notebooks and essentials that we need to do our jobs.

Advice to Management

Remember that your job is to support your employees, not the other way around.

Foster an environment in which your employees are valued.

Foster an environment where your employees are heard and respected.

Ask your employees for their input!

Stop leading by intimidation and stop pushing your agendas.

Don't stay in your office all day. Block some time to interact with your people face-to-face. Start with 15 minutes a day and increase it over time.

Your Brady values are a joke, the management team ignores them. Practice what you preach about company values...Integrity, Ethics?

Make your compensation competitive, develop your employees, recognize and retain talent.

Communicate more than you think you need to about not only the challenges we face, but the opportunities that these challenges bring for the right people to rise to the occasion and contribute more than they ever thought possible.

Invest in new technology to revitalize the company.

"Couldn't be worse"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Brady full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I came based on what I was told would be happening, which sounded great. As it turned out none of what I was promised or told I would be doing is really happening. There are a handful of nice people in the office.

Cons

Office environment and culture were already weak, now we have a dress code even though we don't see clients or customers. As an employee on salary I am asked to count my hours to make sure I get a minimum of 8 working hours in every day and not a minute less or the office leadership is watching over your shoulder. Lunch doesn't count for your 8 hours even if you work through your personal lunch. We've changed directions every month since I've been here. Turnover is constant, any talent left is all looking to leave, I was told there has been over 40 people that have left in the last 3 years and the office only has about 30 people in it. Management could care less about people, you are just a number to do work here in the assembly line of ideas that don't work. You won't learn anything here as nothing strategic or creative happens in the company. The least progressive company I have ever heard of - can't even work remote for a day every now and then, they ask you to take the full day off if you can't be in or have a Dr. appointment. Never get to leave early on a holiday weekend, zero happiness.

Advice to Management

Lose the dress code and the clock watching and treat us like we are professionals.

"Anonymous"

I worked at Brady full-time

Pros

Great Benefits
    Renovated Work Environment
    Volunteer events and opportunities

Cons

Very competitive environment
    Unethical practices
    SVP of HR does not lead by example
    Ongoing high turnover of highly talented individuals
    Lack of diversity and inclusion

Advice to Management

Foster an environment in which your employees are valued.
    Practice what you preach about company values...Integrity? HA!

"Micromanagment in the Extreme"

I have been working at Brady full-time

Pros

Good work/Life Balance, wonderful coworkers

Cons

Micromanagement: You literally will have to account for every minute of your day, and your manager will argue with you about it on a weekly basis. There is also no room to grow. You will stay where you are for as long as you work here.

Advice to Management

Let your employees do their jobs and stop hounding them.

"If you're ok with mediocre..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Brady full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. Loved the people I worked by and with. Everyone is cheerful and friendly.

The CFO is awesome, the CIO is very cool, and the CEO is making some good changes.

The work-life balance is great! Most managers are very understanding that life happens and allow for working from home as needed.

Cons

Horrible HR leader.

Brady seems to be ok with being mediocre, and it's never going to go anywhere.

There's a very clear divide between corporate and the businesses.

Advice to Management

If you want to make Brady a better place, start with HR! The current top is incredibly unethical, rude, prejudice, fake, and overall someone who should NOT be in HR.

"You are just a number"

I worked at Brady full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, opportunities for advancement if you have a supportive manager

Cons

Ultimately, you are a name next to a number on a balance sheet. It doesn't matter how long you've been with the company, skill set, experience, or contributions, they will cut you without a second thought if you can be replaced by someone who they can pay less money than you.

Advice to Management

You need to focus on the long term, and not this quarter so you can get your bonus. Remember that your job is to support your employees, not the other way around. Embrace servant leadership, stop giving it lip service. Your Brady values are a joke, because most of your management team ignores them.