Businessolver Reviews

Updated Apr 9, 2020

3.3
Businessolver President & CEO        Jon Shanahan (no image)
Jon Shanahan
Pros
  • "Free food - daily at year-end and every other Mon: breakfast, Wed: lunch, and Fri: appetizers(in 48 reviews)

• "Working with great people who push and challenge you every day(in 21 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Businessolver has the best technology, people, and process in the Ben Admin business."

Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Businessolver full-time for more than a year

Pros

Businessolver is an organization that has high expectations for its employees because our clients have high expectations of us - and we make sure to deliver! I am in sales and am proud to be part of the circle of achievers. We are full of passionate employees who are focused on leveling up! We help our clients level up their organizations and drive their benefits strategies. We help their employees level up the benefits knowledge and engagement. And my colleagues and I are focused on leveling up our own knowledge and skills so we can be the best resource for our customers. No other organization we see in this space is as committed to quality and innovation. Our competitors are acquiring their clients through acquisitions- we are earning them through our passion, technology, and great service. I am proud to work here because we continue to build our technology from the ground up - which means it works better and in perfect harmony. Others are bolting on parts of their solutions and slapping new user interfaces on old acquired tech. It makes it easier to service our clients when you have a foundation of great tech! Finally, I feel well supported in my role. I have the access to incredible people, resources, and tools to get my job done. There is constant coaching, development, seek to learn opportunities, and ways to help me level up my own game.

Cons

There will always be some changes and challenges when growing as fast as we are. The worst part is all the these reviews spreading FUD to perspective employees and clients. Most of those reviews were from bitter people terminated for underperformance and can’t help but point fingers and throw dirt. Our clients don’t want finger pointing, so those employees likely weren’t a fit! Don’t reach out to them, reach out to the achievers who are still here. If you want to level up and be a part of a culture of achievers - come join us! We do have high expectations for our employees and it is sad that some people aren’t a good fit for our culture. I know how hard you try during the interview process to find the right people.

Businessolver2020-01-25

February 4, 2020SVP, Employee Engagement

Thank you for your feedback.

2. "Great place to work at"

Current Employee - Client Operations Lead

I have been working at Businessolver full-time

Pros

Great place to work at

Cons

No cons at this time

Businessolver2020-02-11

March 2, 2020SVP, Employee Engagement

Thank you for your feedback. If you would like to share more details, please contact me at mklipfel@businessolver.com.

3. "True quality is shown through a crisis."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Businessolver full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

At Businessolver we use the word Empathy, you will see in many reviews here the word is part of the fabric of who we are. I have never seen this resonated more than during this Covid pandemic. The best way for me to describe this is to share my personal story. My wife has been furloughed from her company(not BSC). This company gave the news after hours were due to be turned in and this is important as we were making a choice whether or not to use the PTO time she had accrued to fill in hours before the furlough. We decided to wait so we could save up those hours: 3 hours later my wife was furloughed and told no PTO would be allowed to be used. This was awful. What does BSC do? Jon Shanahan fights to ensure we have our incentives paid. BSC ensures every employee could work from home, keeping them employed. There has been a judicious look at the budget and where money can be saved. People however have not been part of that equation. Jon cares. Rae cares. Marcy whom you see answering on here cares! I am all in with BSC and they proved to me they are all in for me. If you want to Level Up - come join us!

Cons

We do always have areas to improve. When you join the team be ready to work hard and give what you have for our clients. With any company we have areas to improve, I know our intention is to learn from our mistakes.

Businessolver2020-04-09

April 24, 2020Chief Engagement Officer

Thank you for your feedback. The current climate has certainly brought hardship like you mentioned your wife is experiencing with her job, which I am so sorry has happened. We have also had the opportunity to see people rise up and put empathy into action. I am constantly blown away by the love and care our employees have for each other. It's authentic and driven by THEM/YOU. Thanks for all you do and stay safe.

4. "Pretty good company that just needs to go that extra mile"

4.0

I have been working at Businessolver

Pros

The “in-office” benefits are fantastic. Food and drink aplenty, a masseuse that comes in once a month, open office and everybody has standing desks, pretty good hardware, nice gym, and lots of fun office activities (theme parties, wellness initiatives that aren’t garbage, etc). Seriously, the office manager is excellent. Most companies do not do a very good job at “agile” development, but this one is definitely top half. Good scrum masters and product owners that are committed to making the process better and do their best to insulate their teams from unavoidable negative downward influence. Vast majority of people are very kind and willing to help you get whatever you need done. Very much feels like a singular company that’s dedicated to working well together. Need help and the only person available is a VP, even if you’re a junior engineer with a minor problem? They’ll totally be able to help. Work from home is very easy. Base pay is fairly competitive. Despite the cons I’m about to write, I really like working here a lot.

Cons

Actual benefits are very average. Healthcare is just ok (more expensive than you would think for a healthcare company), 401k is only 3% matching, and if you fight for it, and 15 days PTO. The scrum masters we have are great, but the priorities for money have made it so there’s like 2 spread across like 10 teams. Way too much work for 2 people to do. Getting raises and promotions can be hard to get, again because of money priorities. Some tools at our disposal aren’t utilized as well as they could be. Taking a moment to breathe so everybody can be setup the same way would be great for engineers. Working in what is essentially a call-center is a hard job to make palatable, and BS does a pretty good job, but we could do better to limit turnover. Overall diversity in the company is fairly good, but it’s laughable on the engineering side of the house. To be blunt, there are lots of very qualified women devs out there, and more resources need to be dedicated to making sure they’re welcome at BS.

Businessolver2020-03-25

March 30, 2020SVP, Employee Engagement

Thank you for your feedback. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this with you "live", particularly because our data reflects that we actually employ more females in Product and IT than what is typically found in the market. However, we want to be market leading and continue to infuse more diversity in all areas of the business so I would love your thoughts on this. Thank you again for your feedback and commitment to BSC. I can be reached at mklipfel@businessolver.com.

5. "3 years with the company and it’s the best decision I’ve made in my career."

Senior Vice President in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Businessolver

Pros

Working with great people who push and challenge you every day. Culture of execution. Tons of opportunity to push yourself out of your comfort zone and grow. High growth mode with rapid change.

Cons

You could say high expectations are a con if you aren’t up for the challenge.

Businessolver2020-03-11

March 23, 2020SVP, Employee Engagement

Thank you for your feedback. If you have additional details to share, please reach out to me at mklipfel@businessolver.com

"Innovative industry leader with top talent and advancement opportunities"

4.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Businessolver full-time for less than a year

Pros

Businessolver is focused on consistently delivering innovative technology to clients. There is some really good talent here and that includes leadership, sales, and service. Growth and advancement opportunities exist for those who seek them do to being a high growth and high energy company in a tech. sector. In some cases, you are "tapped on the shoulder" and others require you have to speak up - with respect to your growth goals. Either way, the opportunities are present. Leadership listens when employees recognize areas of opportunity. While other companies will frown upon constructive criticism, Businessolver may just promote you. The company is financially secure and poised for additional future upside.

Cons

While Businessolver strives to provide "delight" to clients, the technology + people industry is always a challenging proposition. There are multiple parties involved as it relates to the the benefit administration platform so when problems arise, blame is likely to be placed on Businessolver. Somtimes despite Businessolvers effort to response "respond readily" and "delight" clients, some clients may not see it that way. The business while simple in concept can be complex in execution, so employees need to be resourceful, adaptable, open-minded, and truly a problem solver to have a long career here.

Businessolver2020-03-03

March 23, 2020SVP, Employee Engagement

Thank you for your feedback. We are in complete agreement that the COL role is critical and would love your thoughts around what we can provide to them to further assist in providing client delight. Please reach out to me at mklipfel@businessolver.com

"Poor work life balance"

2.0
    Director Client Operations in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Businessolver

Pros

You work with some really great people. The technology is the best in the business for third party Ben admin.

Cons

The Client Operations Lead role is overworked and not sustainable. There is a high rate of turnover causing Directors to have to step in and lead clients. Expect to work at least 55-60 hours per week in any operations role. Sometimes 60-70 hours. If you don’t put in the time, your clients will be unhappy which will lead to big decreases in your bonus.

Businessolver2020-03-20

March 23, 2020SVP, Employee Engagement

Thank you for feedback. I'm happy to hear the great comments around BSC's people and technology. I would appreciate more context around your COL role comments, I can be reached at mklipfel@businessolver.com

"False Promises Abound"

Former Employee - Business Development Representative in Denver, CO

I worked at Businessolver full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible time, enjoyable coworkers, nice office, free food on Wednesdays

Cons

Lack of communication, false promises, lack of empathy, top down control, lack of autonomy, fake culture, lack of expectations, no performance review,

Businessolver2020-03-05

April 24, 2020Chief Engagement Officer

Thank you for your feedback and I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your co-workers. It would be helpful to have more context around your cons and advice to management...I can be reached at mklipfel@businessolver.com

"Look Somewhere Else"

1.0

I worked at Businessolver

Pros

Snacks Sent to Remote Employees 1x a Quarter Product is “Ok”

Cons

Leadership - in 30 years I have personally never seen worse leadership. My experience was they all lead by fear and intimidation. No transparency. Any disagreement with any leader you will be fired. Expect them to lie to your face all the time. Sales Dept - Run as far as you can. Expect to be laid off just as you build a pipeline. average sales cycle is one year. Do a linked-in search and see the average tenure of the reps. Turnover is extreme. Special treatment for “favorites.” They will say you are doing amazing then fire you. Commission plan is poor - 5% and then fight for the remaining 5% after a year or more. That’s if you don’t get a deal snaked by a “favorite” right after you sell it. Ask how many people hit quota then ask what the tenure of those rep are. You will not have any control of your deal. You will basically become a glorified appointment setter. Ask how many people turned over in the territory. Certain areas of the country are really bad. Don’t even consider the Southeast, West or Northwest as a territory. Service Roles - These people are worked to the bone are overstressed and are given nothing but grief. Culture- read the reviews. The word CULT comes up numerous times. Fall in line or be fired. You will see it from day 1. You were warned.

Businessolver2020-03-14

March 23, 2020SVP, Employee Engagement

Thank you for your feedback. It's certainly hard to read. If you are willing, I'd like to discuss with you "live" as what you describe is unacceptable and not aligned with our culture. I can be reached at mklipfel@businessolver.com

"I would not recommend if you’re trying to grow"

2.0
    Current Employee - Client Operations Lead

I have been working at Businessolver full-time for less than a year

Pros

Positive culture , free food and wine

Cons

The free food and wine comes with a catch . The COL role is a dumping ground . You have no team to manage most of the work is done by you or a ticket based queue system . There are a lot of challenges due to minimal resources and lack of automation . This company has a great platform but they’re growing too fast to handle enterprise models and largely known clients . They have too many leaders trying to grow the business who have never been in the HRO world outside of this company and they don’t know how to restructure and manage . The company has a hard time taking feedback and realizing how they need to shift and grow . The sales team should be on a blackout period .

Businessolver2020-02-19

March 2, 2020SVP, Employee Engagement

Thank you for your feedback. I welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you to gain more context. I can be reached at mklipfel@businessolver.com

Found 251 reviews