Citizens Reviews

3.6
Citizens CEO Bruce Van Saun
Bruce Van Saun
1,010 Ratings
Pros
  • "But they still try to respect your work life balance(in 136 reviews)

• "They have a good benefits program(in 136 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Can be heavily focused on sales goals(in 122 reviews)

• "Upper management not really making their minds up about what they want(in 114 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Citizens and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year
      Featured Review

Great company

Mar 13, 2021 - Personal Banker in Detroit, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits support pay and manage my

Cons

Technology could definitely use an upgrade but they are working on it

Project Manager

Thank you for your great rating! We're always looking to provide programs and benefits that support our colleagues. We've also made a huge investment in digital technology to ensure we support you and our customers well into the future.

2. 5.0

Amazing Organization

May 10, 2021 - Communications Partner
      Business Outlook

Pros

Citizens is an innovative organization that supports colleagues throughout their individual career journeys and helps them thrive. The positive working environment makes you feel like you are amongst family while the organization's vision and mission allows you to continuously develop and improve. If you are looking for a company that makes you feel valued and wants your voice to be heard, you should absolutely consider Citizens.

Cons

I cannot think of any cons.

3. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Burnout

May 12, 2021 - Mortgage Specialist in Glen Allen, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits, Time off, Health insurance etc.

Cons

You will burn out quickly. Management lacks. The support needed for you to flourish and do your job properly is not there. Representatives will bring things to the attention of management that negatively impact customers and it is ignored, thus leaving the reps in a bind where the customers are extremely upset and take out their frustration with the bank on the reps. This is not a good look on the company in how they treat their employees or even their customers. You would be constantly running interference for this bank. The departments do not interact with each other nor do they provide pertinent information needed to assist customers properly. The systems are antiquated and barely work. The turn over rate is the highest I’ve ever seen in a call center. They are constantly hiring and it is definitely not due to increase in portfolio. People are quitting or moving to different departments to escape.

4. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Opportunity to return to previous position

Apr 23, 2021 - Appraisal Analyst III - 211786 Position in Glen Allen, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Leadership quality, in this company, is unusual in my experience. Company focused, for the good of all, however, inspire a family-like culture.

Cons

Lack of flexibility for start and end times per day. Everyone starts at eight and ends at five. This lack of flexibility leads to mass incoming and outgoing for job site. A perpetual traffic jam in parking lot and elevator usage.

Project Manager

Thank you for your thorough analysis and for the high mark! We know that providing flexibility is so important today and have worked diligently to accommodate the work/life needs of every colleague. We wish you continued career success!

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great Culture and Support

May 10, 2021 - Vice President in Johnston, RI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Upgrading technology to better support our day-to-day jobs The culture is great, good mix of newbies and veterans Beautiful new campus in RI with lots of amenities Good pay and PTO

Cons

No real on-boarding, learn by asking a lot of questions - I felt this was hard during the pandemic I feel a bit anxious to go back to work and we're being asked to do this by June 1 - seems way too soon and not that much empathy from leadership

6. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Threw me away

Apr 30, 2021 - Licensed Banker in Cranston, RI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Citizens bank is a great bank to work for if you’re a hard worker and come with experience. Their training is pretty extensive for the size of the bank.

Cons

They hired me based on me passing all of my licensing exams…only allowing me to move on if I got a 65 or better. FINRA allows people who fail to retake the exam. I failed my first exam and they didn’t help me find a new position and I lost my job

Project Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We're sorry to hear you did not enjoy your time with us. If you'd like to share more so that we can look into your concerns, please contact the HR Service Center at 1-866-472-8234 or our anonymous alert line Right Call at 1-877-495-4727.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great company that cares about its employees and community.

May 10, 2021 - Solutions Architect in Johnston, RI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great, friendly people to work with. Flexible work arrangements and good work/life balance. Innovating and investing in new technology. Wonderful corporate culture. Good benefits.

Cons

Low annual pay raises and bonuses. Tough to get promotions.

8. 4.0

Seamless

May 10, 2021 - Manager, Consumer Operations
      Business Outlook

Pros

The talent acquisition process is pretty straightforward and easy to manage.

Cons

There is no way of knowing how many interviews are required within the process.

9. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great work life balance, little reason to stay

Apr 29, 2021 - Consumer in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Citizens gives new hires 4.5 weeks of vacation. Work life balance is highly encouraged! Very smart leaders that are great resources to learn from.

Cons

Bonuses are not paid to corporate consumer colleagues until VP (6+ years from new hire). Promotions aren't as much based on merit as they are opportunity (you won't move up in title or pay until someone above you leaves or you switch business lines). Management talks about "bleed green or reconsider working here", but they do not invest in young talent. They make no effort to incentivize early career employees, do not try to retain, and don't even conduct exit interviews because they aren't interested in changing the culture.

1 person found this review helpful
    10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Amazing company, culture, vision for the future and leadership team

Mar 3, 2021 - Core Banking in Westwood, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The leadership team truly cares about colleagues and making sure that we are transforming the bank to move us forward. You can tell the leadership team is very focused on the future and they have shared bold strategy to move us forward. Great focus on diversity, equity, and inclusiveness. So many support groups to help colleagues network and meet people across the organization. They take a chance on colleagues with talent and recognize transferable skills to give them opportunities in different places of the organization.

Cons

Technology challenges from time to time, but I know the team is working on plan short-term and long term to address...but can be hard to service and move business forward with the challenges that we as experience as colleagues.

Project Manager

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us! We're glad to hear you enjoy working with us and appreciate our colleagues, recognition, culture and focus on diversity! Also, know that we've doubled our investment in technology and are on a journey to transform our tech across the company. We're glad to have you on our team!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 2,656 Reviews