Citizens Reviews

3.7
Citizens CEO Bruce Van Saun
Bruce Van Saun
1,278 Ratings

What people are saying about Citizens

Join the conversation on

Finance

61.8K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/finance/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Employer-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Citizens~13640
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Benefits are good but have been cut since RBS' desire to spin off the bank(in 329 reviews)
  • "Citizens has a lot of really great people who are dedicated to what they do on a daily basis.(in 196 reviews)
  • "Pay was good but not competitive within industry(in 152 reviews)
  • "Work life balance is good(in 104 reviews)
  • "colleagues were great and made the job enjoyable(in 95 reviews)
Cons
  • "Management is hired in without ANY banking experience resulting in poor management.(in 143 reviews)
  • "Poor upper management and disorganized retail structure.(in 95 reviews)
  • "Reduction of employees and making managers do more work with less employees.(in 95 reviews)
  • "Long Hours (In Store Branch)(in 42 reviews)
  • "Unrealistic goals meaning no bonuses.(in 40 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Citizens and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years
    Featured Review

Great work life balance and flexibility

Apr 28, 2022 - Senior Risk Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great maternity benefits, paid time off, and flexibility. The corporate culture is very positive and there is a big focus on employee training and development. I love the diversity and inclusion initiatives. HR outreach and opportunities to learn more about other business areas, networking, resume writing, and the desire to hire from within and grow are amazing. Great teams, people, and leadership in Business Services.

Cons

I honestly do not have any yet.

Citizens Response

Thanks for leaving such a fantastic review! It's great to see that you noticed our internal mobility efforts. We're dedicated to offering colleagues growth and development opportunities to prepare them for their next role within the bank, as well as great benefits that support them in all aspects of their life! Thanks for all you do!

2. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 10 years

Great place to work

May 27, 2022 - Director
    Business Outlook

Pros

Many opportunities and great people

Cons

At times need to promote from within more often

3. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Please go elsewhere if you’re able to!!

May 6, 2022 - Teller in Mayfield, OH
    Business Outlook

Pros

Paycheck, client relationship building, possible advancement for future career opportunities, coworkers, don’t work on holidays & paid for it.

Cons

Lower pay for the stress of purposeful short staffing, horrible management, lacking organization and honesty. Get told one thing but it’s not the truth. They’ll try to have part time people work full time hours with no benefits (health insurance). Purposely short staffed causing nothing but stress on tellers. Manager I dealt with had two faces, never knew who you were gonna talk to that day. Made the staff’s lives absolute hell with constant micromanaging, emotional outbursts, and complete unprofessionalism. Rarely felt like working so the bankers and tellers had to run the show. If you are choosing between Citizens and a different job, go with #2 I promise you. Not worth your mental health

Citizens Response

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. This is certainly not the type of culture that we support. Please consider contacting the HR Service Center at 1-866-472-8234 to share more information about what you experienced so that we can look into and address as appropriate.

4. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

High Tech Sweat Shop - Run, Don't Walk Away!

May 5, 2022 - Software Engineering Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Technology transformation and greenfield projects. Could have been a great experience! Colleagues at IC and L1 Management were great to work with!

Cons

Terrible work life balance, aggressive deadlines, stressful day to day interactions. They don't really invest in FTEs but spend a lot on contract employees who are treated like cattle. People are asked to work weekends and evenings (yes Christmas weekend) without comp offs or overtime. You're berated in front of the whole team if you don't meet their impossible deadlines and targets. Upper management certainly likes to create the glass ceiling - I never felt comfortable or welcomed to forge lasting relationships with them. "Don't speak out of turn" is an actual warning given to us less mortals. I was so stressed working here I considered accepting roles below my current level just to get out, but fortunately did not have to and found a much better fit that checked all the boxes (yes, they're out there, you don't have to stay and suffer). The benefits are okay for a bank but not the best. 401k match doesn't kick in until after one year. Even start ups give up front matches.

3 people found this review helpful

Citizens Response

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We're sorry to hear you did not enjoy your time with us. If you'd like to share more so that we can look into your concerns, please contact the HR Service Center at 1-866-472-8234.

5. 4.0

Nice Management and Crazy Sales Goals

Mar 23, 2022 - Bank Teller in Buffalo, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Had an amazing manager and coworkers I got along with. So many tools to learn and work with and once you learn the tricks you get a lot of problem solving skills under your belt. If you do well in your role there is a lot of room to grow your career and a lot of good benefits in every position.

Cons

Sometime after I was hired bankers were no longer supposed to take transactions, just make calls and be available to open new accounts/relationships. Leaving a majority of the sales on the teller, leading me to realize that I no longer wanted to be in sales. If I become a banker, to make more money, I would have to hope I get placed in a good branch and hope that the tellers are willing to push sales enough to get my crazy sales goal. I probably would have rated Citizens lower if I wasn't part of the team I had at my branch

Citizens Response

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review, and for the amazing feedback! We're glad to hear you experienced great management and felt you had the tools available to you to keep growing and learning. Thanks for all you do!

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great company culture with competitive benefits.

Jan 25, 2022 - Banker in Boston, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

One of the things that I love most is the work culture. I feel like every employee that stays at Citizens truly loves working for the company and they all share a sense of belonging and genuinely care to do the right thing and a good job. The benefits, pay and work/life balance in my experience have resulted favorable; however there is always room for improvement to create a more flexible environment that helps employees with the complications of life and at the same time motivate to increase productivity. There are also great efforts to invest in career development and professional growth with a lot of innovative options and resources to self educate and continue learning.

Cons

Retail hours could be a lot and the sales environment lately has been under a lot of pressure and many changes. Lately, these new arrangements seem to make it more difficult to achieve your goal. Also, although there are great intentions to incentivize career development, it’s not too simple to move laterally or to different areas of interest and to be given opportunities to try new areas; it’s seems to be tailored to attract new talented instead of growing from within.

7. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

A Solid Bank

May 25, 2022 - Human Resources Business Partner HRBP in Short Hills, NJ
    Business Outlook

Pros

Citizens handled the acquisition with Investors Bank professionally and treated leaving employees with dignity.

Cons

Communication regarding acquisition took longer to deliver than originally anticipated, which made employee's feel uneasy and uncomfortable.

8. 4.0

Good Benefits

May 26, 2022 - Teller
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very good medical and dental benefits, good hours

Cons

No good team as for as the customer service as backend part of the team

9. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Good company - but be weary of high goals

May 6, 2022 - Banker in Manchester, NH
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nice benefits (start with 18 PTO days, good health coverage). Your branch will make or break your experience. Luckily for me, I worked in a great branch - ie good foot traffic, great colleagues.

Cons

Be weary of the sales goals. The company is constantly pushing sales to the point of almost becoming unachievable. I hit my goals every quarter, however, their sustained increases by quarter will make it harder for those that continue to work there. Management will constantly change focus on what to sell, and consistently made sales credit lower based off of what was making bankers meet their goals.

Citizens Response

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. It's great to hear that you enjoyed the benefits here, but we're sorry to hear you felt the sales goals to be difficult to reach. A lot of research goes into the setting of sales goals. We wish you luck in your future career journey!

10. 2.0
    Current Employee

Come here to work non stop and no recognition

May 24, 2022 - HR Program Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nice office and growing company

Cons

HR is led by one of the most unaware leaders I’ve ever worked for. HR leadership is all leaving because work is a constant fire drill and led by someone who ignores all signs. If you’re a white guy it’s a good place to be. Or a senior level woman. The company is so focused on showing “progress” of hiring diverse people They overlook that our diversity is leaving the company the fastest

Viewing 1 - 10 of 3,272 Reviews

Citizens Reviews FAQs

Citizens has an overall rating of 3.7 out of 5, based on over 3,427 reviews left anonymously by employees. 72% of employees would recommend working at Citizens to a friend and 65% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 4% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Citizens employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.6 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Citizens. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

72% of Citizens employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Citizens 3.7 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.8 for culture and values and 3.7 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Citizens to be career development, coworkers, benefits and the cons to be senior leadership, culture, management.

Popular Careers with Citizens Job Seekers