Coinstar Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Jim Gaherity

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Plenty of free snacks and drinks (in 5 reviews)

• Free Parking, Free Snacks, Nice People (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • There is a lot of growth potential for this year and lots of changes taking place because of the separation from Outerwall (in 3 reviews)

• The Redbox side moves more quickly than the Coinstar side (in 6 reviews)

1. "Back to Basics"

I worked at Coinstar full-time

Pros

The people I worked with are some of the best in the business.
    Benefits are very good as well.
    Other reviewers have also called out things like the free snacks, free parking, and casual dress code.
    Great location in the Bellevue office park. There is a wonderful walking trail around the slough. You may see all kinds of wildlife on your walk, including beavers, herons, and eagles.

Cons

After the crazy success, then collapse, of Outerwall, it will be interesting to see how Coinstar moves forward. They truly are back to the basics, and are solely focused on their Coinstar brand of kiosks. Budgets are extremely tight.

Advice to Management

I loved the success that Outerwall had, enjoyed my time there during that run, and I am confident you can replicate it. That said, avoid the mistakes the previous administrations made and stay focused, do your due diligence on new business opportunities, and listen to your employees. If they think it's a dumb idea, it probably is.

2. "Really fun working environment, innovation focus felt scattered"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Coinstar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Free snacks in the lunchroom! Awesome ones like Mother's cookies, Goldfish, bagels, M&Ms, cookies, pop, yogurt. You could literally survive on Coinstar food alone.
    2. IT Management was supportive and receptive to ideas. I felt like a peer to my boss(es)
    3. Free Redbox rentals
    4. Good stock options and bonuses
    5. Location by Factoria has lots of places to eat and shop
    6. Free parking
    7. Casual dress code. Jeans, shorts, anything goes
    8. Nice people

Cons

1. Innovations felt like a bunch of half baked ideas getting equivalent funding/interest. Once they pick something out (coffee, etc) management should invest the time and $$ into making it a success. I don't understand how so many things can start up, build concepts/deploy, and then be declared a failure after so much investment.
    2. Pretty large layoff after I left (on my own).
    3. The eastside is no one's favorite place to work, sorry but it's true. Lack of good public transport options (no train) and bad traffic.
    4. The Redbox side moves more quickly than the Coinstar side. If you're working on both, Coin may feel like a snail's pace.

Advice to Management

Commit to less innovations at once. Focus on one or two that are somehow researched and then back them to success. Rubi, Makeup, Fresh food, all must have been HUGELY expensive to get as far as they did and then pull the plug.

3. "Focus is on efficient operation"

Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Coinstar full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People and management are talented.
    Upper management is refocusing on having an efficient operation.

Cons

Small and focused layoffs come almost yearly.

Advice to Management

Provide the option to move to other positions in the company during layoffs.

4. "Coinstar is the place to be!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Coinstar full-time

Pros

I am loving the changes that Coinstar, LLC. has made since separating from Outerwall. I am excited to come into work each day. There is A LOT going on and always something new. The people here is what makes it tolerable with all of the changes taking place.

Cons

There is a lot of growth potential for this year and lots of changes taking place because of the separation from Outerwall. Frankly there is no con on my end for right now, its more that there is a lot to do and trying to keep things prioritized.

Advice to Management

Keep up the transparency and communications!

"Was once a great company but took a turn for the worst"

Former Employee - Manager in Oak Brook, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Oak Brook, IL

I worked at Coinstar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun environment
    Great perks
    Meaningful work.

Cons

When the new CEO came in it was clear he had plans to sell the company as there was no communication. Employees who were once their best assets were treated like they didn't matter.

Also, this is not the best company for diverse employees. There are few to no diverse management leaders. They give lip service to diversity but their practices disregards the successes of excellent diverse employees.

Advice to Management

Go back to what worked-- treating employees with dignity and respect. It was what you did so well and people remained loyal.

Put leaders that mirror your customer base. You need more diversity in higher ranks.

Mar 23, 2017 – SVP of Human Resources

Thank you for providing feedback about your concerns regarding our diverse environment. We are actually working on this right now in developing our new program for supporting our diverse employees... More

6. "Good company, Standard benefits"

Former Employee - Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

I enjoyed the entrepreneurial spirit in the company which works for my personality.

Cons

The company sold our division...

Advice to Management

They were located out of state so I didn't have much to do with them.

Thanks for your feedback! Karen Batzle, SVP of HR

"Not a place for women"

Pros

The people used to be fantastic. The benefits were good, but under Apollo's new management who knows how long they'll last.

Cons

The former President/recently-appointed CEO - Jim Gaherity - cut a number of high-ranking women in the latest round of layoffs. When appointing his new leadership team, only the men received c-level titles, while the two women on the leadership team received lower titling. I've also heard him say that men work better and more efficiently than women. This makes me concerned about my growth potential as a female employee under his stead.

He cares solely about the bottom line, and doesn't realize that embracing diversity and taking care of your people often leads to an improved bottom line.

Advice to Management

Don't underestimate the power of women in the workforce. Get rid of Jim and his cronies, or more of your good employees - especially female ones like me - will leave.

Mar 23, 2017 – SVP of Human Resources

Thank you for providing this feedback! Yes there were a lot of changes as we lifted from a line of business to an actual fully functioning company. With that comes changes to what we need from a... More

8. "technician"

Former Employee - Computer Technician in Gulf Breeze, FL
    Former Employee - Computer Technician in Gulf Breeze, FL

I worked at Coinstar full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good company. Lots of good people.

Cons

Little opportunity for advancement. Company products have maximized market potential. Belt tightening will impact income potential for the future.

Advice to Management

must expand technology products to maintain growth.

Thank you for your feedback! Karen Batzle, SVP of HR

9. "Executive Assistant"

Pros

Great place to work, very smart group of people. Admins always willing to help one another.

Cons

None I can think of. This was one of the funnest companies I worked for and the people are fantastic.

10. "Great Benefits pay is low"

Current Employee - Transportation Service Representative in Belvue, KS
    Current Employee - Transportation Service Representative in Belvue, KS

I have been working at Coinstar full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits are great lots of PTO time and Ins. is not expensive.

Cons

Hourly rates are lower than average.