Coinstar Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jim Gaherity

Pros
Cons
  • Very poor lower level management, Disgraceful in fact, worst I have encountered in my career so far which only emphasises flaws in upper management (in 3 reviews)

1. "Was once a great company but took a turn for the worst"

Former Employee - Manager in Oak Brook, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Oak Brook, IL

I worked at Coinstar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun environment
    Great perks
    Meaningful work.

Cons

When the new CEO came in it was clear he had plans to sell the company as there was no communication. Employees who were once their best assets were treated like they didn't matter.

Also, this is not the best company for diverse employees. There are few to no diverse management leaders. They give lip service to diversity but their practices disregards the successes of excellent diverse employees.

Advice to Management

Go back to what worked-- treating employees with dignity and respect. It was what you did so well and people remained loyal.

Put leaders that mirror your customer base. You need more diversity in higher ranks.

Mar 23, 2017 – SVP of Human Resources

Thank you for providing feedback about your concerns regarding our diverse environment. We are actually working on this right now in developing our new program for supporting our diverse employees ... More

2. "Lots of change, but trying it's best to retain a great culture!"

Former Employee - Director in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Director in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Coinstar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Always tries to the right thing for its employees, including those they have to lay off. After being bought out by a Private Equity, there were inevitable changes, including layoffs. I was impacted as well.

The CEO, Jim Gaherity, is an honorable person and is in a super tough spot, trying to find more growth in an era where alternative payment methods are quickly expanding.

Cons

Going private gives you a unique opportunity to not always be under the spotlight of Wall Street but the growth strategy is still a big question mark. Employees are very nervous about the future.

Advice to Management

Be careful to not cut costs so far that the business goes into a downward spiral you can't get out of.

Mar 23, 2017 – SVP of Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback! I have received this feedback through other forums as well about the concerns of future uncertainty as well as perception and reality of cost cutting. We are definitely ... More

3. "Good company, Standard benefits"

Former Employee - Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

I enjoyed the entrepreneurial spirit in the company which works for my personality.

Cons

The company sold our division...

Advice to Management

They were located out of state so I didn't have much to do with them.

Thanks for your feedback! Karen Batzle, SVP of HR

"Not a place for women"

Pros

The people used to be fantastic. The benefits were good, but under Apollo's new management who knows how long they'll last.

Cons

The former President/recently-appointed CEO - Jim Gaherity - cut a number of high-ranking women in the latest round of layoffs. When appointing his new leadership team, only the men received c-level titles, while the two women on the leadership team received lower titling. I've also heard him say that men work better and more efficiently than women. This makes me concerned about my growth potential as a female employee under his stead.

He cares solely about the bottom line, and doesn't realize that embracing diversity and taking care of your people often leads to an improved bottom line.

Advice to Management

Don't underestimate the power of women in the workforce. Get rid of Jim and his cronies, or more of your good employees - especially female ones like me - will leave.

Mar 23, 2017 – SVP of Human Resources

Thank you for providing this feedback! Yes there were a lot of changes as we lifted from a line of business to an actual fully functioning company. With that comes changes to what we need from a ... More

6. "technician"

Former Employee - Computer Technician in Gulf Breeze, FL
    Former Employee - Computer Technician in Gulf Breeze, FL

I worked at Coinstar full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good company. Lots of good people.

Cons

Little opportunity for advancement. Company products have maximized market potential. Belt tightening will impact income potential for the future.

Advice to Management

must expand technology products to maintain growth.

Thank you for your feedback! Karen Batzle, SVP of HR

7. "Executive Assistant"

Pros

Great place to work, very smart group of people. Admins always willing to help one another.

Cons

None I can think of. This was one of the funnest companies I worked for and the people are fantastic.

8. "Great Benefits pay is low"

Current Employee - Transportation Service Representative in Belvue, KS
    Current Employee - Transportation Service Representative in Belvue, KS

I have been working at Coinstar full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits are great lots of PTO time and Ins. is not expensive.

Cons

Hourly rates are lower than average.

9. "Coinstar compensation means each year you make less"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Coinstar (More than 5 years)

Pros

Casual atmosphere removed from downtown.

Cons

Annual budget for salaries is less than increases in cost of living, which means effectively you make less each year. Senior management cares little for the efforts made by those in the trenches. Occasional symbolic recognition given (CEO makes a thing out of visiting selected employee in their cube to hand out cash bonus) but the day-to-day acknowledgment and recognition is close to nothing.

10. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Field Technician in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Field Technician in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Coinstar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Self managed, great benefits. love the people.

Cons

not a con per say, just a concern: Business needs change quickly with out notice and your job could be at risk.

Advice to Management

Managements seems to actually care about there employees, but as stated before business need come first. Nothing that you can do about that, after all, staying in business is the goal.

11. "Field Service Technician"

I worked at Coinstar full-time

Pros

Working for them as a field service technician was a pleasurable experience. You are able to somewhat set your own schedule and you get plenty of windshield time.

Cons

My area was between two other zones and it was absorbed by more senior technicians when we lost a large account in Florida, which resulted in my layoff. Other than that it was a great company to work for.

Advice to Management

Figure out a way to integrate technicians across both coin and redbox so that they can provide technical support.