D.R. Horton Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 319 reviews

3.3
D.R. Horton CEO David V. Auld
David V. Auld
Pros
  • "Great company that cares about their employees(in 20 reviews)

• "Amazing income opportunities, great benefits, nationally recognized organization(in 20 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"New home sales for Americas #1 Builder"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Nashville, TN

I have been working at D.R. Horton full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Great uncapped commissions -Regional team that is there for you to succeed -Great office environment -Great benefits -Stocks, 401K, bonuses -Best management in Nashville division. They genuinely are looking out for your best interests. -Huge growth slated for the 2019 year!

Cons

-Like any real estate career weekends are dedicated to your job. -100% commission but again that is any real estate job (general or new build)

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing! I love the culture that our regional president has created. Really makes a difference when you know upper management is wanting you to succeed.

2. "Its like any company in that, its the people that make the difference"

Current Employee - Branch Manager

I have been working at D.R. Horton full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

caring, understanding, and competent upper management hard work is recognized, appreciated, and rewarded hands down, best professional experience of my 20+ years in the industry (3 here) large company, small feel significant room to grow professionally

Cons

sounds a bit cheesy, but, I cant really find any? If I were DR Horton himself, I would be quite proud of the people that make this company

Advice to Management

Keep the feel of a small company. Keep, protect, and foster the corporate identity. Well done so far!

3. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Construction Project Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at D.R. Horton full-time for more than 9 years

Pros

management allowed work and family balance.

Cons

upward mobility is difficult to come by.

4. "Great Place to Learn"

Current Employee - Land Acquisition Project Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at D.R. Horton full-time for more than a year

Pros

Challenging work, but laidback environment and culture.

Cons

Compensation is below market average. Compared to other builders, the higher volume of work should be compensated accordingly.

Advice to Management

More competitive salary.

5. "Great Summer Experience"

Current Employee - Summer Intern

I have been working at D.R. Horton full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Great people -Individual projects -valuable professional development

Cons

-not very much at all, highly recommend

6. "Good Company"

Former Employee - Land Acquisitions in San Antonio, TX

I worked at D.R. Horton full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

If the entire D.R. Horton organization operates like the San Antonio branch, then I am extremely optimistic about the future of the company. -Fun, professional and caring co-workers and managers -Room for growth (the company will transfer you to any US location to help further your career) -After being there for a year, you get to buy company stock at a discount -Typical 401K plan and benefits for the industry...

Cons

-The pay is a bit low unless you are in upper management. HOWEVER, from what I understand, this is typical of the entire homebuilding industry and should not discourage you from working here.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

"Family like atmosphere"

Former Employee - Purchasing Agent

I worked at D.R. Horton full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

My fellow employees were the best part. The company also does a lot of fun outings (meetings) for the office staff to show their appreciation.

Cons

Extremely hard to advance even though you're told otherwise. Disconnect between departments making it hard to plan, instead everything is last minute and needs to be done yesterday, when the information could have been conveyed sooner.

8. "Enjoyed My Time Serving at DRH"

Former Employee - Receptionist in Portland, OR

I worked at D.R. Horton full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Work environment had a great balance: laid back and social while still being focused and hardworking. I felt safe, respected and valued as a female in a male dominated industry.

Cons

The company is very driven by deadlines, goals and numbers. This often caused employees feel overloaded with work and stress, therefore creating an unhealthy work-life-family balance.

Advice to Management

Create more programs and incentives for employees to be seen, encouraged and rewarded for their hard work (outside of the year-end breakfast).

9. "Too Many Hands in the Cookie Jar"

Former Employee - Estimator in Nolensville, TN

I worked at D.R. Horton full-time for more than 6 years

Pros

Back office staff is fun, energetic, and loyal Great healthcare options Employee Stock purchase program

Cons

ZERO Work/Life Balance NO Leadership - What is the point of your Mgmt meetings if you don't communicate to the rest of your office? Don't even think about asking for an increase in pay. 5 years no pay increase? ADIOS You will be asked to work multiple roles (wear many hats as they say) and not be compensated for it, or have it documented as an official job title. The Nashville Division has a rotating door policy with...

Advice to Management

The revolving door of replacing management is not the answer. Look in the mirror. There was never any communication from management. Sales, marketing and operations were never on the same page, and the "leadership team" will spend hours sitting in a room, take photos of a dry erase board, and then completely change things up the next week. Constant chaos. Always a fire to put out because management changes things on the...

10. "Good company brought down by local (Chicago) leadership"

I have been working at D.R. Horton full-time

Pros

Good managers, talented and skilled people, nice environment, staff is supportive of one another

Cons

While the managers are strong and capable, key leadership is not and should not be in this role. Many have left under his tenure and others question why they should stay in a hostile environment. The tone of this office is night and day when this person is present.

Advice to Management

Not everyone is cut out to be a leader!

Found 319 reviews