DreamBox Learning Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.8
Jessie Woolley-Wilson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "You can't help kids that you can't reach" (in 7 reviews)

• "It is a privilege to be a part of a company all about helping students learn with technology, regardless of their zip code" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "No clear path to career growth, flat organization" (in 5 reviews)

• "It's still a growing company and there are certain procedures that are still being established but it is getting better" (in 4 reviews)

"An opportunity to make a difference & gain valuable experience"

I have been working at DreamBox Learning full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

DreamBox has been a great experience. Both fun and stressful at times but it has mostly been very positive throughout my time here. I like the people I work with and get to touch areas of the business I probably wouldn't be able to at a bigger company. High growth, high potential, high job satisfaction from what I can tell. It's nice coming into work everyday knowing that the product is thriving and that people are dedicated to the mission.

Cons

- no 401k match
    - family benefits are higher than I've seen elsewhere
    - PTO could be more competitive
    - lack of clarity on working from home. most companies allow 1 day a week across the board that I've interviewed at

Advice to Management

Keep innovating and keep your people happy. It's nice having dogs in the office.

2. "Account Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at DreamBox Learning full-time

Pros

Company values and mission - Do well to do good!

Cons

none at this time to say

"Client Success"

Current Employee - Client Success Advocate
    Current Employee - Client Success Advocate

I have been working at DreamBox Learning full-time

Pros

There are meetings sometimes where associates read out letters students have written to DreamBox. It makes your little heart swell to hear how these little kids really like math now. Some of the success stories are really touching, and I honestly believe in the companies mission and product.

Cons

There are no increases in pay. No cost of living increase, no bonuses, no incentives. Where other departments may be getting annual reviews, we get an annual check-in where tell our manager what our goals are for the next year. Goal is a loose term, because what they want to know is what new thing you are going to contribute to the team. Normally I am all for this kind of thing - I like to learn new things and it is great if you want to get a promotion or if you want a raise. But there are no incentives for performance increases. Do you see the problem?

The management of our team is also very... hands on. I would say that they micromanage, and it is confusing, nerve-wracking, and frustrating all at the same time.

CS is responsible for quite a lot of things, and I personally think there should be a data management team of some kind. We are responsible for calls, emails, general support. But we are also responsible for cleaning up the ticketing database (which other teams also work in), updating notes on accounts for PD (on a daily basis), taking payments, importing and maintaining all customer data (which is a lot of data), maintaining the support site, hand-holding accounts through the entire back to school process. Many of us are assigned to specific accounts to streamline this process, and there is direct and continued contact with the account as if we were account managers (which we most certainly are not).

Advice to Management

Make duties of managers very clear - perhaps give them clear goals and outlines. Give cost of living increases. If there is no possibility of a raise via performance, then tone down the annual review.

4. "True to a vision that matters"

Current Employee - Director Or Above in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Director Or Above in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at DreamBox Learning full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Dedicated to maintaining a work environment that works. Unfriendly and unproductive folks are weeded out. Teamwork and competence are rewarded
    - Dedicated to a worthwhile mission. Nearly every important conversation gets brought back around to, "what's the best decision for educating kids?"
    - Idealistic without being unrealistic. Management is very clear that market share and a wide customer base is a critical part of achieving the mission. You can't help kids that you can't reach.
    - Very casual and responsive to personal schedule issues. Working from home to handle a conflict, or shifting hours to cover family schedules, are common and accepted (within reason). Nobody is counting your work minutes - they want to see engagement, commitment and productivity.
    - Business is very strong. Despite the reluctance to add positions (see "cons"), there will be opportunities here based on growth and expansion for some time.

Cons

- Company runs a bit lean. Open positions can stay open for a long time, and the company is slow to open new spots in the first place. So the workload can get heavy. (But, see above - willingness to accommodate schedules can help with that.)

Advice to Management

Mainly this: stay focused on what makes this work. Keep the mission in sight for setting long-term direction and making short-term decisions.

5. "Love the people"

I have been working at DreamBox Learning full-time

Pros

I love working here. People are great, Jessie (CEO) is amazing, with an amazing mission.

Cons

There is construction outside that is noisy

"former educator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at DreamBox Learning full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The product is top notch in the area of elementary mathematics. I was proud to say I worked with the company.

Cons

Sometimes there was not a clear mission or set of goals within my area. When asking for guidance, there was very little support. Being a start-up, there was not a lot of opportunity for professional growth.

Advice to Management

Provide employees with clear expectations and goals with the opportunity for supported professional growth within the company.

7. "Great people, product, and environment!"

Current Employee - Technical Specialist in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Technical Specialist in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at DreamBox Learning full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoy my time at DreamBox and have always been encouraged to look into areas of interest that can help out the team and company. A great group of people and environment to be a part of. There is a tremendous amount of pride in the product and helping students learn Math, from the developers, content creators, and the support team.

Cons

Cost of healthcare for families isn't ideal and no matching 401k.

Advice to Management

Continue to develop and learn as we grow!

"Great product, struggling department"

I have been working at DreamBox Learning full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Helping children is the most rewarding part of this company.

Cons

1. No clear path to career growth, flat organization. After being here for more than a year, it’s hard to say what happens next for any Client Success Advocate as there is no place to advance to. Given that this department in particular is flat, that would mean that all Client Success Advocates would need to know how to do everything equally and that’s not the case.
    2. Temporary workers who were barely competent in their positions in the first place get promoted, while talented employees who have proved their commitment to DreamBox are constantly passed over for new opportunities
    3. The Client Success Advocate role is advertised, and salaried, like an entry level customer service position when that really isn't the case. Not only do we answer the phones, tickets and the basic customer service tasks. We are also very literally responsible for making sure every student has access to DreamBox, we are responsible for cleaning the student data that comes in; making sure that the classrooms are active and are licensed as they should be, supporting account management and sales teams to make sure they're providing potential customers with correct information, and backing up the professional development team as they provide training to our existing customers. The only incentive we are given is mandatory overtime that is only available 2-3 months out of the year. How can something that is mandatory be an incentive?
    4. Management has put performance and attendance policies in place, but have yet to follow up on them and hold employees accountable. They have the resources and reports to monitor employee performance and attendance, but do not put them to use. Some members of the team are consistently tardy or absent and no disciplinary actions takes place. It is difficult to get work done when you have to continuously pick up the slack from tardy or under performing team members

DreamBox Learning Response

Jan 8, 2018 – VP of Product & Services

We value all of our employees and regret that this has been your experience.

Rest assured that our goal is to provide career growth opportunities for everyone at DreamBox. All job openings at... More

"Regional Account Executive"

Former Employee - Regional Account Executive in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Regional Account Executive in Raleigh, NC

I worked at DreamBox Learning full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very good- exceptional product. Easy to be passionate about such an excellent product.

Cons

Direction is not given. You do not know where you stand, regardless of what you might be told. If you go to work for them, ask for reviews in print.

Advice to Management

Perform regular reviews. Follow through after the hire, with what was discussed and agreed upon in the interview.

DreamBox Learning Response

Jan 18, 2018 – VP of Sales & Client Experience

Thank you for your feedback. We do have a process around performance management, and regret that this did not fulfill your expectations during your time here. Formal annual reviews are documented... More

"Great place to build a career."

I have been working at DreamBox Learning full-time (More than a year)

Pros

DreamBox has an incredibly strong leadership team and it's an empowering place for a woman in technology to build a career. Team members are motivated by a shared, meaningful mission -- there's a clear WHY at DreamBox. It's a place where you're afforded trust and responsibility and celebrated for your contributions (but it's not to the extent where there's a culture of artificial praise).

Cons

Some of the HR policies/benefits are lacking in comparison to other tech companies I have worked for. That said, the Pros far outweigh the Cons and the leadership team is invested in taking care of employees so I suspect things will continue to evolve.