DreamBox Learning Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 3, 2018

3.6
Jessie Woolley-Wilson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "You can't help kids that you can't reach" (in 7 reviews)

• "It is a privilege to be a part of a company all about helping students learn with technology, regardless of their zip code" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Raises and promotions, (if and when you can get one) are given grudgingly" (in 3 reviews)

• "Non-delivery is the key thought that comes to mind" (in 2 reviews)

1. "Account Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at DreamBox Learning full-time

Pros

Company values and mission - Do well to do good!

Cons

none at this time to say

"Client Success"

I have been working at DreamBox Learning full-time

Pros

Over all the company has a great mission. Helping to improve society by shaping the minds of children and changing their perception about Math is an awesome way to impact the world.

Cons

Working in other departments is probably great. But I highly discourage working in the Client Success department as you may find yourself stuck. This department needs incentives desperately and it will help with moral; Instead of having an incentive program, management likes to reward the department by buying food/snacks. Although appreciated, employees want a monetary reward considering that raises and promotions don’t often happen in this department if at all. It can be slightly insulting to know how hard you work to only be rewarded with a treat as if you are one of the very pets walking around the office. NO ONE in management can explain how to get a raise or a promotion when asked. There is ZERO transparency in this department; leaders tell you one thing and very rarely what you are being told turns out to be factual; consistently must back pedal. The entire functionality of this department is built around the convince of other departments no matter how complicated it becomes for Client Success. It would be nice to have supportive management that would make other departments own processes and procedures that belong to them. Same individuals are consistently late and/or calling out and there are no consequences for repeat offenders.

Advice to Management

No further advice to Management because this is a constant conversation. If management intended to make changes, the changes would have already taken place. These have been raised with management over and over and nothing has been done.

DreamBox Learning Response

Jan 15, 2019 – Director of Customer Success

As the new leader for the CS department at DreamBox, I am not surprised by some of these comments, and I am working hard to address them. When I joined DreamBox in August, I was told that I would... More

"Client Success"

Current Employee - Client Success Advocate
    Current Employee - Client Success Advocate

I have been working at DreamBox Learning full-time

Pros

There are meetings sometimes where associates read out letters students have written to DreamBox. It makes your little heart swell to hear how these little kids really like math now. Some of the success stories are really touching, and I honestly believe in the companies mission and product.

Cons

There are no increases in pay. No cost of living increase, no bonuses, no incentives. Where other departments may be getting annual reviews, we get an annual check-in where tell our manager what our goals are for the next year. Goal is a loose term, because what they want to know is what new thing you are going to contribute to the team. Normally I am all for this kind of thing - I like to learn new things and it is great if you want to get a promotion or if you want a raise. But there are no incentives for performance increases. Do you see the problem?

The management of our team is also very... hands on. I would say that they micromanage, and it is confusing, nerve-wracking, and frustrating all at the same time.

CS is responsible for quite a lot of things, and I personally think there should be a data management team of some kind. We are responsible for calls, emails, general support. But we are also responsible for cleaning up the ticketing database (which other teams also work in), updating notes on accounts for PD (on a daily basis), taking payments, importing and maintaining all customer data (which is a lot of data), maintaining the support site, hand-holding accounts through the entire back to school process. Many of us are assigned to specific accounts to streamline this process, and there is direct and continued contact with the account as if we were account managers (which we most certainly are not).

Advice to Management

Make duties of managers very clear - perhaps give them clear goals and outlines. Give cost of living increases. If there is no possibility of a raise via performance, then tone down the annual review.

"True to a vision that matters"

Current Employee - Director Or Above in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Director Or Above in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at DreamBox Learning full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Dedicated to maintaining a work environment that works. Unfriendly and unproductive folks are weeded out. Teamwork and competence are rewarded
    - Dedicated to a worthwhile mission. Nearly every important conversation gets brought back around to, "what's the best decision for educating kids?"
    - Idealistic without being unrealistic. Management is very clear that market share and a wide customer base is a critical part of achieving the mission. You can't help kids that you can't reach.
    - Very casual and responsive to personal schedule issues. Working from home to handle a conflict, or shifting hours to cover family schedules, are common and accepted (within reason). Nobody is counting your work minutes - they want to see engagement, commitment and productivity.
    - Business is very strong. Despite the reluctance to add positions (see "cons"), there will be opportunities here based on growth and expansion for some time.

Cons

- Company runs a bit lean. Open positions can stay open for a long time, and the company is slow to open new spots in the first place. So the workload can get heavy. (But, see above - willingness to accommodate schedules can help with that.)

Advice to Management

Mainly this: stay focused on what makes this work. Keep the mission in sight for setting long-term direction and making short-term decisions.

"former educator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at DreamBox Learning full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The product is top notch in the area of elementary mathematics. I was proud to say I worked with the company.

Cons

Sometimes there was not a clear mission or set of goals within my area. When asking for guidance, there was very little support. Being a start-up, there was not a lot of opportunity for professional growth.

Advice to Management

Provide employees with clear expectations and goals with the opportunity for supported professional growth within the company.

6. "Love the people"

I have been working at DreamBox Learning full-time

Pros

I love working here. People are great, Jessie (CEO) is amazing, with an amazing mission.

Cons

There is construction outside that is noisy

7. "Great people, product, and environment!"

Current Employee - Technical Specialist in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Technical Specialist in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at DreamBox Learning full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoy my time at DreamBox and have always been encouraged to look into areas of interest that can help out the team and company. A great group of people and environment to be a part of. There is a tremendous amount of pride in the product and helping students learn Math, from the developers, content creators, and the support team.

Cons

Cost of healthcare for families isn't ideal and no matching 401k.

Advice to Management

Continue to develop and learn as we grow!

"Regional Account Executive"

Former Employee - Regional Account Executive in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Regional Account Executive in Raleigh, NC

I worked at DreamBox Learning full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very good- exceptional product. Easy to be passionate about such an excellent product.

Cons

Direction is not given. You do not know where you stand, regardless of what you might be told. If you go to work for them, ask for reviews in print.

Advice to Management

Perform regular reviews. Follow through after the hire, with what was discussed and agreed upon in the interview.

DreamBox Learning Response

Jan 18, 2018 – VP of Sales & Client Experience

Thank you for your feedback. We do have a process around performance management, and regret that this did not fulfill your expectations during your time here. Formal annual reviews are documented... More

"Great place to build a career."

I have been working at DreamBox Learning full-time (More than a year)

Pros

DreamBox has an incredibly strong leadership team and it's an empowering place for a woman in technology to build a career. Team members are motivated by a shared, meaningful mission -- there's a clear WHY at DreamBox. It's a place where you're afforded trust and responsibility and celebrated for your contributions (but it's not to the extent where there's a culture of artificial praise).

Cons

Some of the HR policies/benefits are lacking in comparison to other tech companies I have worked for. That said, the Pros far outweigh the Cons and the leadership team is invested in taking care of employees so I suspect things will continue to evolve.

10. "Great team atmosphere"

I have been working at DreamBox Learning full-time

Pros

Culture is great here! They want to win and they most importantly want kids to win. Your work is rewarding and collaboration is encouraged. You are encouraged to grow here! The people are great and passionate about what they do. The company has great benefits that you do not pay anything for and getting time off is encouraged here which I do not see very often. They want you to take time for yourself which is refreshing.

Cons

No 401k match is the only con that really comes to mind

Advice to Management

Keep up the culture of collaboration and working together. Keep creating opportunities for employees to advance their careers inside the company.