DriveTime Automotive Group Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
DriveTime Automotive Group President and CEO Ray Fidel
Ray Fidel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work-life balance as good as can be for a car sales job (in 23 reviews)

• The best team work environment of any sales job I've ever I had (in 48 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Innovative industry leader! Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoy working for Drivetime. I have always had an interest in selling cars, but the safety of a guaranteed salary made it a no brainer. I work with a great group of people at the Pershall Rd. location, with supportive management. The new 4 day on, 3 day off schedule is a breath of fresh air! My goal is to make it to corporate eventually as a collections manager, and I feel this is a great steppingstone. I'd recommend this company to anyone seeking career growth with a strong employer.

Cons

None that I have encountered. Work life balance has become of great importance, and it shows in the employee morale.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. There are many happy employees who appreciate all you do!

Oct 17, 2016 – Talent

We are happy to hear our new flex schedule is making a difference in your work and life balance! Thanks for positive words and encouragement to our leadership and management teams.

2. "Employee"

I worked at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time

Pros

Great people base on the department you're in. Decent pay. Awesome benefits

Cons

A.D's and upper management are not true to their word. They do not rehire.

Advice to Management

The company would do so much better if you promoted the employees who have stuck with the company for over a decade. If they aren't worth it then you aren't about development and that speaks loudly about integrity.

Jul 24, 2017 – Talent

We appreciate you taking the time to provide this feedback. Employee development and advancement is very important to DriveTime however there are situations in which location and business need limit... More

3. "Sales Manager"

I worked at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time

Pros

Work with great people and pay is on par with what you put into it.

Cons

Company was expanding and now is reducing its work force. Employees are uncertain about future due to sudden changes.

Jul 20, 2017 – Talent

Thank you for the positive review. We are glad to hear you enjoyed the people you worked with!

4. "Sales Advisor"

I worked at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time

Pros

Benefits are ok! employees are nice

Cons

Long hours, a lot of changes, not sure where company is headed.

5. "Senior Sales Advisor"

Pros

Base Salary is a plus.
    Can make a decent amount of money

Cons

No real work life balance.
    Difficult to get deals done because underwriting guidelines change weekly.
    Management not on same page.
    Thinking outside of the box is not 100% embraced.
    The quality of vehicles really suck. No one wants to put down $500 - $1000 today only to have their vehicle go into the shop oneor two days later.

Advice to Management

GMs need to be Gms and get everyone on the same page.
    I understand change is necessary at time but underwriting changes every week is a bit excessive.
    Adjust APR scale. There is no way a customer with a 619 credit score should get the same APR as a customer with a sub 500 credit score regardless of the situation.
    Yes we are getting in vehicles with lower miles but they are going to be priced ao high that it is still going tonbe difficult for OUR customer base to buy unless its at tax time.
    Be honest and tell employees about the state of the company. If you are selling at least everyone know sonthey can make their own decision about their future instead od being blind-sided and laid off like some of the former employees where I work and around the country.
    Also be honest on the direction of the company and what type of customer you are trying to attract. The new program is geared towards attracting customers with better credit like tradional dealerships instead of trying to implement new programs for the customer base we have all made money off of.

Jul 27, 2017 – Talent Support Specialist

We appreciate your feedback. We acknowledged that recently we went through some changes. As an innovative company, we're always looking at ways to better service our customers and attract new... More

6. "Good pay long hours"

Former Employee - Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pay was really good, mostly the bonus' if you hit your monthly store budget. Closed on Sundays is nice. They promote within the company a lot so there's of room to move up if you want to get into management.

Cons

Long shifts but as expected in the industry.

Jul 24, 2017 – Talent

We are pleased to hear your positive feedback regarding compensation and advancement opportunities. Although the retail industry can have demanding hours, the company does its best to ensure that our... More

7. "Sales manager"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Was able to make some good money during my tenure there.
    They will promote you if they like you even if you don't have the skill set so that's a pro to some.
    They would buy lunch for the team about 2 times a month.

Cons

Where do I begin?
    They create positions that do not make sense like an ad position (supposed to be like a district manager) but when you go to them for advice or an answer they always have to reach out to someone else. And you may not get your answer until days later or even weeks.
    They bring on these people from the outside called amp candidates who do not know anything and they expect the sales manager to train them to become gm"s that's how it worked in Houston.
    You are always being told you will get fired for doing this or doing that so you don't even want to make a decision with out reaching out to someone. Then they give you feedback and tell you have no managerial courage .. what a joke

Advice to Management

Get an hr team in place because ad"s and directors they do not know anything about Human Resources and you guys break a lot of laws when I'm interviewing applicants. Also there is a disconnect with corporate management not being truthful to management in the stores. Don't lie to us about the company being sold have more integrity than that. That's what you tell us to have listen to your own feedback.

Jul 27, 2017 – Talent Support Specialist

We're disappointed you feel this way about the company and appreciate your feedback. We encourage employees to reach out to our Talent Support Team with any concerns.

"Sales Manager"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

National company with plenty of promotion/relocation opportunity

Cons

Unexpected changes are made that affect your income. It's privately owned and operated

Advice to Management

Keep your word when you promise to promote from within. Allow for the work-life balance that you advertise

Jul 5, 2017 – Talent

We are glad to hear that you believe DriveTime has plenty of advancement opportunities. Thank you for the great review!

"Sales Advisor"

Former Employee - Sales Advisor - Full Time in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor - Full Time in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay. Good base salary + excellent commission structure. Full Benefits after only 30 days. Can borrow against your own future PTO. Possible room for growth. No need to really find your own leads, business comes to you.

Cons

NO WORK/LIFE balance. No O/T pay even on 55+ hour weeks. Company is going through a lot of changes aka demotions/lay-offs currently. From my own personal dealership experience (not all locations may be managed the same); lots of inconsistencies in processes and procedures depending on the advisor it is affecting.

Advice to Management

CONSISTENCY. Implement and stick to company guidelines. Hold YOURSELVES ACCOUNTABLE more.

Jul 20, 2017 – Talent

Thank you for your review. As a company we make every effort to promote consistency by providing regular coaching and review of company policies and procedures. We appreciate the feedback!

10. "Used to be great"

I worked at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time

Pros

Was once a really fun company to work for.

Cons

No longer able to work here and expect to have any kind of balance.

Advice to Management

Balance retail's workload

Jul 21, 2017 – Talent Support Specialist

We appreciate your feedback. We understand that our customer demand can sometimes increase work hours and have launched several initiatives to improve work-life balance such as 4 day work weeks and... More