Dunelm Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
John Browett

Pros
  • friendly colleagues, management are approachable, extra hours generally available, good staff discount even on already discounted goods too (in 9 reviews)

• good rate of pay, paid holiday, good people (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Not enough staff , management don't always see how tricky it is with customers and not enough staff on shop floor (in 7 reviews)

• absolute shambles from start to finish, 12 members of staff left because they 'had enough' (in 4 reviews)

1. "It's not all it's made out to be"

Current Employee - Buying Assistant in Thurmaston, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Buying Assistant in Thurmaston, England (UK)

I have been working at Dunelm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working hours 9-5
    1 hour lunch break

Cons

No progression
    Expected to stay longer. But not paid
    Not given pay banding structure and evertugfffixx

Advice to Management

Very cliquey
    I have been promised promotions but nothing haas happened.

2. "Still there!!"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Plymouth, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Plymouth, England (UK)

I have been working at Dunelm part-time (More than a year)

Pros

friendly colleagues, management are approachable, extra hours generally available, good staff discount even on already discounted goods too. Better rate of pay per hour than other local retailers. Chance to progress for those keen to do so. Extra little incentives given for those who work well

Cons

Can be hard work when short staffed. Sometimes more positive conversations would be nice especially when we are really busy and already working our socks off! Some staff get away with things that others wouldn't like...going to their phone in the locker room on a regular basis, wearing jeggings or jeans and generally shirking their duties

Advice to Management

Clamp down on those that bend the rules as this has a negative effect on other colleagues that follow the rules. More praise given where praise is due. Give more colleagues the chance to use their common sense instead of stating the obvious to them..like saying "what are you doing, are you doing delivery or working the bins?" when it is blatantly obvious we are working delivery as we are stood there with the totes in front of us and also common sense says work delivery first, bins later

"review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leicester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leicester, England (UK)

Pros

face paced & exciting place to work, lots of opportunities for training and progression

Cons

staff pay is amongst the lowest in the industry even considering the location

Advice to Management

don't forget the current customers who have been loyal whilst chasing JLP etc shoppers

5. "Marketing Executive"

Current Employee - Marketing Executive in Leicester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Marketing Executive in Leicester, England (UK)

I have been working at Dunelm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots going on so good opportunity to get involved in different projects and broaden experience. Fast paced and time flies. Very friendly and welcoming.
    Birthday + charity day off.

Cons

High expectations which are not reflected in pay.
    Processes are out dated and time consuming.
    Can be stressful with high workload.
    No bonus.

6. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at Dunelm full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Customers and team, continually working together to one goal - great customer service and enjoyable place to come to work for

Cons

Processes and equipment - new ones - sometimes take a while to implement but understand need to tried and tested first to ensure best results for all.

Advice to Management

Keep on listening and celebrating great success of teams and individuals. Remember everyone is important.

7. "Review follow up - two years on from last review."

Current Employee - Sales Assistant
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant

I have been working at Dunelm part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place for sticking with this company for 5+ years now. Not for lack of trying to get a new job though.

It hasn't improved since my last review a few years ago, we are still overworked and underpaid. New processes in place that are supposed to make the job easier are okay in theory but in practice don't work.

Customer services duties have doubled recently with the so called reserve and collect system, and the farce that is customer orders, unfortunately the staffing levels haven't doubled, which means that you spend your shift chasing your tail and doing the work of two people for a pretty poor hourly rate.

The only pros for me is working with some great colleagues who have been there since the start like me, and an extra weeks holiday for being there over five years.

Cons

See second and third paragraph above.

Also your holidays are constantly rejected due to things like sale set up, de-sale, new merchandise set up and stocktake which changes date every year. It's bad enough that there's eight weeks of the year that you can't get holidays as it is without all that as well.

In the last twelve months we have had three longstanding members of staff leave for new jobs, people don't tend to do that when they are happy at work. Also some staff are on maternity leave and I personally feel that they would be mad to come back to the stress of the job as well as look after young babies, as management do not make allowances for anyone's personal life because as far as they are concerned Dunelm comes above all else.

To be fair to the management in my particular store, they are all grafters and do their fair share of the hard work when required. They do make you feel appreciated, although they also are quick to come down on you when you make a mistake.

Advice to Management

Shift rotas need to be up three weeks in advance as despite what some of you think, we do have a life outside of work. Please stop changing people's days around, I realise that we have to cover for colleagues on holiday and off sick but we all have commitments at home.

Holiday requests need a faster turnaround.

People in Head Office who implement new procedures need to see them working on the shop floor themselves instead of sitting on their comfy chairs behind a screen.

8. "Disabled employee made to work in stock"

Former Employee - Store Assistant in Aylesbury, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Store Assistant in Aylesbury, England (UK)

I worked at Dunelm (Less than a year)

Pros

Regular hours lovely Co workers

Cons

Made disabled employee work in stock room climbing ladders. 5 hr days not allowed a break.in that time. When I left sent a letter threatening debt collectors as I had been overpaid £35. No evidence to show where overpayment had been made. Management never bothered to acknowledge resignation. Management and team leaders very chaotic.

Advice to Management

Read the disability equality act. Learn some manners and how to properly manage a store. I believe the manager had never run a store before and it really showed.

"Back at school"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Radcliffe, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Radcliffe, England (UK)

I worked at Dunelm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Just the people you meet.

Cons

No social life.
    No flexible circumstances especially if you need time off for hospital appointments etc.
    Treated like school children.
    Put under a lot of stress, so much so many people went on sick.
    Managers believe they are leaders of the world.
    Head office don't know how staff are treated.
    No rewards for hard work.
    No chance in trying to book holidays.
    No training provided if asked.
    Targets set to fail.

Advice to Management

Lay off peoples back.

"Save yourself"

I have been working at Dunelm part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a job, I suppose. I should be happy for that, right?

Cons

no life outside work, expect you to work on your days off if they call you in, no regular days off, have to negotiate time off for important appointments like hospital or doctors appointments.

lack off staff. Usually only one or two on a department at a time, even though the work needs to be done by at least 3 people, but still expect you to get everything done plus more.

no clue what you're working week to week, and they change the rotas at a minute's notice without even informing the employer that their times have changed. Sometimes you're put on 8 or 9 day weeks without a break, but then only got one day off before they put you on another 9 day week.

Managers taking extra long breaks, then moaning at the rest of the staff if they take a little bit over the allotted 30 minutes. You still only get one 30 minute break if you are working 6 hours or 9 hours.

Lack of loyalty to employees, will always agree with the customer and not their employee just to keep the customer happy and coming back, even if it goes against the policy of the company.

Managers moan to the staff to get on the tills if there is a small queue, but make no effort to get on a till themselves despite being trained to serve.

"Terrible branch/company to work for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I worked at Dunelm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Staff were very pleasant-could have a laugh and get on with it despite the conditions.

Cons

The Belfast store is particularly disorganised, feeding from a track record of workers being thrown into the deep end with no training. This is especially true of the Team Leader roles where a new Team Leader will be left to their own devices to pick up bad habits from current collegues. No training from anyone of a supervisory level will be given. This poor training then will carry on down the ranks. Managment are unapproachable and usually can't answer queries.

Advice to Management

Management need to have a better presence on the shop floor in order to gain a better understanding of why targets are not being achieved. This way they will stop assuming that staff are making excuses to be lazy and realise that there might be a lack of training/bodies/resources/answers to questions which slows down efficiency/productivity. They need to set realistic targets and praise staff when they work hard. Create a better atmosphere by focusing on the positive, make an example out of hard working staff by rewarding them, giving less productive workers something to strive for. Feedback should be constructive and discussed with the individual giving them a chance to reflect on where they went wrong and preform better next time. No employee should ever hear of critisim through the grapevine-it's highly unprofessional. Management should instead be direct and approachable. Change cannot be implemented in an environment where staff have no respect for management.