Dunelm Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
John Browett

Pros
  • friendly colleagues, management are approachable, extra hours generally available, good staff discount even on already discounted goods too (in 9 reviews)

• Slightly above average rate of pay for a retail job (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • The Belfast store is particularly disorganised, feeding from a track record of workers being thrown into the deep end with no training (in 7 reviews)

• Not enough staff , management don't always see how tricky it is with customers and not enough staff on shop floor (in 7 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Lincoln, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Lincoln, England (UK)

I have been working at Dunelm full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Dunelm is a great place to work started part time on customer service working my way up to asm great development opportunities. Working with a great team and working better together

Cons

Sometimes time is wasted planing for allocations that don't turn up and sometimes stores get sent incorrect communication resulting in doing the job twice.

2. "Sales Assistant"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant

Pros

Flexibile with University whilst being part time

Cons

Some training parts could be better

3. "Changing Times #corevalues&principles"

Current Employee - Management in Stoke-on-Trent, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Management in Stoke-on-Trent, England (UK)

I have been working at Dunelm full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have seen Dunelm go through many many changes, some embraced some not. Keeping the core values/principles in mind you won't go wrong if you have drive and ambition to lead from the front, make decisions, embrace change and respect each other. All of which is made easier by networking both internally and externally and can be key to a long career

Cons

My Pro Statement at times has been difficult to follow and achieve. Focus, determination has been for the majority self led, zoning in on those that display the core values and principles has been critical in my career path even if at times this has meant bypassing my direct manager/s.

Opportunities are not always clear.
    Structure can be somewhat disorganised.
    Some of the management don't always show, display, and drive the core values and principles and it seems to go unnoticed
    Middle management engagement is low

Advice to Management

Change often brings unrest however good management of change would make things easier.
    Stability in management who display the core values and principles would be far more beneficial than those who can talk the talk.
    Believe in those that work hard regardless of length of service
    Engage the middle management team

5. "Fast paced, always lots to do, but a fun work environment"

Current Employee - Sales Advisor (18 Years Old) in Bournemouth, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor (18 Years Old) in Bournemouth, England (UK)

I have been working at Dunelm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Have met a few good friends working here.
    The pay for my age (18 to 21) is significantly over national minimum wage.
    Good team.

Cons

Rotas don't always work.
    More staff is sometimes needed

Advice to Management

Solid management.
    There is a fair balance for working and having a laugh.

6. "DUNELM"

I have been working at Dunelm part-time

Pros

Excellent team members to work with who are supportive and share tasks out. Management is very friendly.

Cons

There are no downsides of working for this firm however the pay rate could be better.

7. "Not the worst job I've had"

Pros

Will accept people with little or no work experience.
    Rota was determined at least 2 weeks in advance so few surprise shifts.

Cons

Training was lacking.
    On the odd occasion a rota change was made at short notice, you weren't notified, just expected to look at the board every single shift to check.
    No breaks in a 6 hour shift standing in front of a computer screen, occasional meander to put returned goods back.
    Don't want to work more hours? It's part of your contract to work up to 25% extra of your contracted hours.
    Senior staff (with the odd exception) were rude and condescending.
    The tills are in poor condition and running an old system. Scanning in items can be a nightmare and doing anything out of the ordinary can be confusing.

Advice to Management

Training booklets only work if training is continually given. You cannot expect people to learn an entire store, the till system, everyone's names, etc in a single day.
    Invest in your younger staff, give them true opportunities to grow.
    Invest in a better till system, it will speed up transactions and reduce queues when you're busy. Bigger till space would also be great, you sell some large items that you can't even put on the counter.
    Train your managerial staff to treat even the lowest team member with dignity and respect. Without your cleaners and till staff, you've got a smelly shop making no money.

8. "Good first retail job"

I worked at Dunelm part-time

Pros

I enjoyed the staff members I worked with. And speaking with elderly customers. I also enjoyed everyone had a set section.

Cons

After I was really sick and admitted to hospital, I was called back into work before a my recovery period had ended. I had proper sick notes from doctors, and as well as hand written letters supporting me. They took me into a review because I was in my probation period and missed 2 weeks of work on a 16 hour contract - due to being in hospital and almost going into surgery. We had agreed on reason adjustments - they had to give me by law because I had a long standing health condition. When it was time to have those adjustments put in place on my first shift they were all nullified by the store manager (who was off sick herself when my review was being held) who said they didn't uphold because she wasn't there whilst in took place and if I called in sick one more time, I didn't have a job - she shouted this down me to the phone. Even though I had never met her.

Advice to Management

Don't shame and discriminate. Don't share your life story with staff members.

"Terrible"

Current Employee - Furniture
    Current Employee - Furniture

I have been working at Dunelm part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good hours if negotiated
    Friendly co workers

Cons

If the manager doesn't like you you're screwed.
    No training
    Mind Numbingly boring work

"Steer Clear of this Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Radcliffe, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Radcliffe, England (UK)

I worked at Dunelm full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

None now unfortunately, I cannot think of one positive comment to say about the place.

Cons

Since a change in management within the call centre towards the end of 2016, Dunelm became an unbearable place to work, lost its whole 'family' feel which is what the CEO Will used to pride the company on. No care for long standing loyal colleagues, but a clear agenda to get rid of anyone who's face didnt fit. No care to the peoples well being and in most cases given no choice but to leave due to feeling attacked in work every day and leading to personal health issues. It is no longer a family feel, its now full of people who dont care about stepping on others to get to the top. Senior Management are politicians who are wolves in sheeps clothing and cannot be trusted to keep their word. The call centre is a far cry from where it was a year ago and not in a good way.

Advice to Management

Resign and allow people who care to actually come in and do a good job!

11. "Still there!!"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Plymouth, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Plymouth, England (UK)

I have been working at Dunelm part-time (More than a year)

Pros

friendly colleagues, management are approachable, extra hours generally available, good staff discount even on already discounted goods too. Better rate of pay per hour than other local retailers. Chance to progress for those keen to do so. Extra little incentives given for those who work well

Cons

Can be hard work when short staffed. Sometimes more positive conversations would be nice especially when we are really busy and already working our socks off! Some staff get away with things that others wouldn't like...going to their phone in the locker room on a regular basis, wearing jeggings or jeans and generally shirking their duties

Advice to Management

Clamp down on those that bend the rules as this has a negative effect on other colleagues that follow the rules. More praise given where praise is due. Give more colleagues the chance to use their common sense instead of stating the obvious to them..like saying "what are you doing, are you doing delivery or working the bins?" when it is blatantly obvious we are working delivery as we are stood there with the totes in front of us and also common sense says work delivery first, bins later