Equian Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Equian CEO Scott Mingee
Scott Mingee

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Also has allowed excellent work life balance as I have moved up" (in 4 reviews)

• "Good benefits, clean environment, will hire with little to no experience for some positions" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Rapid growth and change has been hard on people, but the company is working toward the right goals" (in 3 reviews)

• "Overall pay raises were 1 to 1 1/2% a year" (in 2 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Growth, Opportunity and Appreciation."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Equian full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Equian is a growing company that appreciates and supports its employees. I am so excited to work at Equian and I haven't felt this way in my prior jobs. It may sound cliche but I am working with some of the best people in the business. Are we busy? Yes, Is it tough sometimes? Yes. Am I tired after the week? Sometimes. But I will say that my work is valued and appreciated by my co-workers , peers and management. I am excited to be given the opportunity to really exercise my skills and experience and yet learn at the same time. I am looking forward to the new technology that we are bringing in for our new systems and leveraging leading applications. I love working with all of our offices across the country - and wow the facilities and perks are top notch! Our C level management team are all great and so approachable! There is a culture here that is just so positive and supportive that I really do enjoy coming to work (I know, another cliche!)

Cons

Some growing pains (space, infrastructure, integration) but this has been recognized and there are long term plans in place so that we can continue growing!

Advice to Management

Thank you!

Apr 11, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you very much for this feedback! Your enthusiasm is contagious and your honesty about the day to day reality of life at Equian is an excellent portrayal of the culture we take great pride in... More

"Diverse, Engaging, Family Oriented."

I have been working at Equian full-time

Pros

The HR department is completely in touch with the associates. This is by far the most employee friendly company that I have worked in.

Cons

The insurance could use a little attention, but it gets the job done.

Advice to Management

You can’t give too much positive feedback, as long as it’s sincere. Giving positive feedback is like handing out chocolate; people will always appreciate it. Take a minute each day to send a positive email or make a positive comment. Believe me, that email will be read over and over. You can make someone’s day with only one minute of your time.

Oct 16, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you so much for your review and noteworthy advice!

3. "PMR Recovery Specialist"

I worked at Equian full-time

Pros

Good coworkers, great overall company, interesting work

Cons

Ruthless management, too big of workloads

Advice to Management

Set the same standards for everyone, quit the competition

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Equian full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of growth and opportunity. The people have a genuine desire to do the right thing, and the company does many things to give back to the community, including paid volunteer time off.

Cons

Rapid growth and change has been hard on people, but the company is working toward the right goals.

Advice to Management

Be as visible with your vision as possible. Teams long for inspiration.

Oct 16, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thanks for your input and honesty. As with any growing organization, the growth Equian has experienced has trickled down to our associates in both positive and less than positive ways - we refer to... More

5. "Rapid Growth over the past year"

Current Employee - Operations
    Current Employee - Operations

I have been working at Equian full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Holidays and weekends off. Some jobs allow you to work from home.

Cons

Sometimes it seems like a party atmosphere when we should be working.

Advice to Management

Grow your current employees for open positions before going outside.

Oct 16, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to offer some feedback! It is often our goal to promote from within; we encourage our associates to pursue a strategic career plan with Equian. Our HR Department and... More

"Examiner"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I worked at Equian full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Only the salary was good

Cons

Upper management is not friendly nor are they privey to how alot of their employees feel about them but I guess they could care less about the person because it's all about numbers numbers numbers. All employees are scared each and every day of losing their jobs. Once Equian took over the company their employees are just a number on a spreadsheet and they could care less about anything else. If you are a new employee they will let you make goal for a while and you will like it but then it's more and more until you lose your mind and end up a wreck. You will not retire from this company believe me they will get rid of you for one reason or another because they want young new employees in and out. If there are older employees left, they are the ones scared and stressed each and every day.

Advice to Management

You should have compassion for your employees instead of them only being a number on a spreadsheet. Quit giving impossible goals to your employees. You need to drug/alcohol test your supervisors especially the ones you have working from home that manage employees from afar. Oh and maybe your team leaders too, several of them come to work smelling of alcohol and or drink on their breaks so they can handle the rest of their day.

"A Truly Excellent Company"

Former Employee - Medical Claims Analyst in Golden, CO
    Former Employee - Medical Claims Analyst in Golden, CO

I worked at Equian full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1) Very casual dress code. I feel most comfortable in jeans and a presentable shirt and that’s how the majority of the employees dressed. 2) They treated their employees like adults. Within reason, there were no strict cell phone/computer restrictions. I feel like they were more concerned with a job well done, than if you returned a personal email or text message. 3) Hiring process was a little long, but Human Resources staff was amazing and very approachable. They really went above and beyond in making themselves available to me in the process and throughout my employment with Equian. 4) pay was about average

Cons

Too many cooks in the kitchen. A little unorganized. Didn’t communicate well with each other, so most of the time one didn’t know what the others had already done or handled. I also feel like they didn’t like each other. But they were nice enough to us, so that was nice.

Oct 1, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for your feedback! Equian does pride itself on our ability to maintain professionalism yet offer that casual vibe. We'll pass along your kudos to our HR team!

"Some good, some bad - growing pains"

Former Employee - IT Director in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - IT Director in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Equian full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are lots of great people there across IT, dev, and operations. People who care about their jobs, their co workers, and their clients.
    Growth - there were something like 4 or 5 acquisitions in the past two years on top of solid organic growth.
    Leadership says a lot of the right things.
    Compensation was decent; benefits pretty good.

Cons

Equian is a conglomeration of many mergers and acquisitions so there is no one single culture. Each product line, which is generally equivalent to some company that was bought along the way, usually has its own culture and style. The contributes to a chaotic environment.
    Company has not done a good job of integrating all the acquisitions especially from a technology standpoint. Consolidating key tech platforms is costly, complex, and time consuming and a lot of the leadership does not seem to get that.
    Certain teams are really overworked. You have some groups that have good work/life balance working ~40 hours a week, and others who are routinely working 60+ hours, weekends, overnights, particularly in IT operations.
    The chaos and disparate working environments has led to a lot of turnover in certain departments. In the span of a year or so IT probably had 15% turnover with many strong and talented people leaving.
    There are managers in the org that are not great leaders and senior management does not seem to pay attention.
    Lack of transparency and communication on company performance. Most of what is shared is somewhat nebulous perhaps since they are a privately held company they don't want too much financial details floating around.

Oct 1, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for your review. Equian has admittedly been in a high growth mode through mergers and acquisitions for the past few years. Although this creates exciting new opportunities for us in the... More

"Potential Candidate"

I have been working at Equian full-time

Pros

I believe Equian is a good company to work for, however, I did not get the opportunity. I interviewed with several people at once and everything was going well, I was confident that I got the job, until I learned that one of my former co-workers (very disgruntled) works for Equian. I was asked by the interviewers if I knew her, nor did she know me, we saw one another in passing but I really couldn't say that I knew her but apparently, she didn't want anyone from our formal company working with her, so needless to say, my great interview was influenced and I later received an email saying we found someone else. I felt like I was dealt a bad hand. I had the experience and the knowledge to do the job, I was very disappointed.

Cons

I cannot say because I have no knowledge.

Advice to Management

Give your good candidates an opportunity and use reliable, valid references when considering employment, not someone that isn't used as a reference.

Aug 22, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for your response regarding your interview with Equian. We believe our hiring practices and talent acquisition team are held to the highest standards of integrity. Unfortunately... More

"RIP Trover"

Current Employee - Recovery Specialist in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Recovery Specialist in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Equian full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Six percent 401k match, decent health insurance, adequate PTO. Pay is acceptable but not extraordinary. Most supervisors in my department are excellent. You're not likely to hate your boss, just potentially their boss.

Cons

Felt I had found a company that cared when I had joined, but attitudes changed after the merger with Equian. High stress environment with unmanageable workloads. Unrealistic expectations from above while supervisors do everything they can to put out fires and make everyone happy. The people making decisions are too divorced from the realities of the job. Long tenured employees are fleeing my department or burning out and quitting. New processes are making it harder than ever to hit our goals but nothing has been done to adjust our bonus structure.

Advice to Management

Stop biting off more than you can chew. Stop adding clients before we have the manpower to manage what we already have. Let us work a reasonable load of files so we can work at a healthy pace and do our job thoroughly. Older departments became successful under the kind hand of HRI/TransPac/Trover. Don't drive out hard working employees by forcing them to work at burn out paces. What would Robert Bader do?

Aug 13, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for your comments on your experience as an Equian associate. We recognize that there are areas within the Subrogation business segment that are currently experiencing rapid growth and... More