Expeditors Reviews | Glassdoor

Expeditors President and Chief Executive Officer Jeffrey S. Musser
Jeffrey S. Musser

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Terrible work/life balance in industry" (in 36 reviews)

• "Awful and outdated dress code policy" (in 65 reviews)

"Account Manager"

Current Employee - Global Account Manager in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Global Account Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Expeditors full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great culture. Entrepreneurs Welcome. Hard work is encouraged and compensated for. Company is 100% dedicated to employees. If you like international business and desire to work hard and have patience. Please apply.

Cons

Maturity leave policy need updating. Give women their dues and let them stay home longer then the federal required minimum.

"Transcon Agent"

Former Employee - Transcon Agent in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Transcon Agent in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Expeditors full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Entry-level experience that familiarizes you with the basics of the transportation industry and third-party logistics in general. Coworkers from my experience were also mostly young recent college grads that were fun to work with on less stressful days. Benefits package and stock options are enticing, and you receive 4 weeks paid vacation depending on when you start (getting this time approved is the tricky part).

There's always something to do, so days tended to fly by (if you're into that, like me).

Cons

This is all from my personal experience, so please take with a grain of salt. Expeditors is a large company and I'm sure the experience varies from location to location.

Pay equated to about $16 an hour. I understand my entry level position and the need to grow upwards, but for a company of this size/scale, and for the work expected of you, the trade-off is not worth it in my opinion.

Power-tripping upper management maintain a veil of interest in you, when in reality are only concerned with improving efficiency metrics spit out at weekly department meetings.

Shirt and tie. Every. Single. Day. That's an old school mentality indicative of a company that is stuck in the past. Your work space isn't even cube farm, it's the equivalent of a late 90's call center.

Micromanagement by lower level managers was frustrating and distracting. Overconfident "executives" will test out their recently learned management tactics on you with a condescending air of superiority.

You will be expected to work Saturdays or Sundays. Your weekly schedule may actually revolve around it.

Advice to Management

Respect the hard work of your workers through better means than cheap salary and the occasional "free ice cream day." Juggling customer service with inept or rude customers, tracking countless shipments, and being micromanaged simultaneously is stressful. I met many smart, young coworkers whose energy and vitality I saw flicker and wane before my own eyes. I understand this is how corporate America often is nowadays, but your employees shouldn't look like lost souls resigning themselves to purgatory on a daily basis.

"Expeditors Company + Expeditors RDU Review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Expeditors full-time

Pros

-Company goals & values are well known throughout the company and its branches
    -Branches are supportive of each other
    -Corporate team believes in "promoting from within"
    -Healthcare and vacation time is competitive
    (full healthcare & 3 weeks vacation + floaters)
    -RDU office/team is energetic

Cons

-Company systems are outdated and inefficient
    -Overall pay is not competitive compared to competitors and companies outside the industry.
    -Company pay structure - Employees are paid hourly with the exception of leadership. Leadership pay is salary with monthly bonuses based on their department's revenue. Majority of salaried employees' incomes come from the bonus as base salaries have been reported low.
    -Company often attempts to work "too lean"
    -RDU: Management has room to grow. Favoritism is evident.
    -RDU: Support is not shown equally throughout the branch.

Advice to Management

-Remember the company belief that "the people are the company's biggest asset."

"Just started"

I have been working at Expeditors full-time

Pros

Benefits are great, ypu start put with 3 weeks vacation.

Cons

Not willing to spend on resources needed.

"Brokerage Agent"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Doral, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Doral, FL

I worked at Expeditors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This has been the best company I have ever worked for. The benefits are great and they have a lot of activities to boost employee moral.

Cons

It is difficult to get promoted.

"A dated dinosaur stuck in the past"

Former Employee - Developer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Developer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Expeditors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great team and supervisors/leads
    - Nice people to work with
    - Decent benefits
    - Good starting job

Individual work (could be pro or con depending)

Cons

- Bottom of the pay scale spectrum for technical skills
    - Stuck in a 90’s corporate mindset (dress code, management, ideals)
    - Have to “buy-in” to the culture there
    - Old mans club, not the best for younger employees
    - Cubicles and gossip

Advice to Management

You need to update and change your policies and ways to try and attract a younger crowd.
    Break out of the 90s corporate culture (hell even the posters they have around are from the 90s!)
    Get away from the dated Waterfall software development lifestyle and incentivize people to stay.
    Try paying a technical degree what it is worth not 45% less

7. "Love it"

I have been working at Expeditors full-time

Pros

Growth , career advancement , wealth of knowledge

Cons

Young leadership , turnover , slow growth

"Don't do it"

Current Employee - Lead Agent in Peabody, MA
    Current Employee - Lead Agent in Peabody, MA

I have been working at Expeditors full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very few.
    They cover health insurance (but it's lousy and doesn't cover spouses.)
    Location is great

Cons

Too much favoritism. Way too many family members working with and for each other. If you're not in the clique, or hired direct as a manager, you're probably not going to do well.
    Unqualified friends and family get promoted, not you.
    Will make you salaried so you don't get overtime.

Advice to Management

Quit hiring family and friends.

"Good stepping stone company"

I worked at Expeditors full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good people working there. I learned a lot about the industry in all facets. Expeditors is a good company to learn and grow, but take the opportunity to move on to better companies when the opportunity comes around. I would say Expeditors is a good stepping stone to better, future opportunities as it looks good on a logistics resume.

Benefits were really good, but getting worse each year. 3 weeks vacation when hired. Moves to 4 weeks after 10 years.

Cons

Very outdated hiring processes. Managers are paid a bonus based on profitability which leads to understaffing to pad their bottom line (I can confirm 1st hand as I was one and had those conversations with my DM.) Hold off on hiring a month or two to inflate that bonus payout. Supervisors and agents are worked non-stop to meet customer expectations and ensure profitability. If you are in a salaried position, you are expected to work a minimum of 50 hours per week as well as cover any weekend or after hours emergencies.

There are opportunities to move up, but you will most likely have to move to get them. You will learn the only thing that really matters are the numbers. You have to hit those revenue numbers so a District Manager can get his piece of the bottom line. Hit your numbers, you are his best friend, have a rough month and you are in the dog-house.

It's also pretty eye opening that after I left the company, I never heard a "congratulations on the new job" or a "just checking in" from my decade long "friendships" I had. It's like once you leave the cult, you are now the enemy and all communication is cut off. That was probably the biggest surprise for me and ultimately showed I made the right decision in leaving.

Advice to Management

Treat the employees like they are people. Don't be so rigid with the rules that you can't use a little common sense in your decision making. Leaving an hour early for a kid's concert or ballgame, or coming in a few minutes late after a doctors appointment won't cause the office to go bankrupt. Employees work extremely hard and really deserve a little flexibility when you look at what Expeditors expects in return (which is total loyalty and commitment.)

"Ocean Export Agent"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Expeditors full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Upward Movement based on merit

Cons

Long Hours, poor work life balance