FortuneBuilders Reviews | Glassdoor

4.4
FortuneBuilders Co-Founder Than Merrill
Than Merrill

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I have been able to grow tremendously on a personal and professional level as a result of my employment with FortuneBuilders (in 9 reviews)

• Live and work by their core values (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Compared to previous jobs, I really have no cons (in 7 reviews)

• If your not into personal growth or working hard you will have a tough time handling the demands and standards we expect at FB (in 4 reviews)

1. "Fun, Fast Paced Environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at FortuneBuilders full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

FortuneBuilders is a fun place to work, with a great balance between hard work and fun. They care about your goals, and are willing to help you improve professionally and personally. If you put in the work, you will reap the rewards. It is a growth minded company, that is always looking for ways to improve.

Cons

Not for those who just want to skate by.

2. "Great place to work!"

I worked at FortuneBuilders full-time

Pros

Great team and leadership. Family atmosphere. The company focuses on taking care of team members and customers.

Cons

Compared to previous jobs, I really have no cons.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Jan 22, 2018 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for sharing your experience with us thus far! We agree that our leadership team really takes the time to create a family atmosphere where we can all grow.

"Not what I thought based on the adds and interview process."

Former Employee - Real Estate Coach and Content Management in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Real Estate Coach and Content Management in San Diego, CA

I worked at FortuneBuilders full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Young professionals with a positive attitude. The office is in pacific beach. They talk about always learning, which I agree with, I just never understood how that was applied in the work culture.

Cons

I now know it's all fake propaganda and they are scamming anyone and everyone one. Everyone I talked to had the same experience of bate and switch. I had really high expectations because of the add and interview process only to be completely let down.

Advice to Management

Don't lie to your employees and the public about your product and services. It's all snake oil.

Jan 22, 2018 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. It is difficult to respond considering we don’t have a coach in content management who has been with us for more than 5 years.

You mention... More

"Some things are very wrong here"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at FortuneBuilders full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you are LDS, the preview department is great to work for. About half here are Mormon, and the person in charge has hired and placed most into management positions.

Cons

The favoritism and nepotism has gone unchecked for far too long. Most of the people that work here are great, but many are quite unhappy and overworked resulting in an extremely high turnover rate.

Advice to Management

Don’t forget about the people that really make it all happen for the company. I realize that upper management cannot always be hands on, but take some time and go out to meet the preview people and listen to the many that are dissatisfied. If you really talk with them and give them the chance to give you ‘Honest Feedback’ without the threat of getting bad markets or even fired, you would uncover many of the dysfunctional situations. Another recommendation would be to create an open door policy in the future where people are not afraid to death of losing their jobs if they say anything.

Dec 9, 2017 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for spending the past year with us and we appreciate your feedback. As an organization we definitely want to continue to improve so we encourage you to reach out to our Human Resources... More

"Service Extraordinaires"

Former Employee - Event Planner in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Event Planner in San Diego, CA

I worked at FortuneBuilders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company built on service culture with client-first focus. Having worked previously in the hospitality industry in guest service, I was blown away by the amount of training the company does to take care of their clients and ensure that at all levels, employees feel empowered to do the right/best thing for the client. The company culture isn't just words, it's something that employees take to heart as motivation in everything they do. Coworkers at other companies seemed self-serving, clique-y, and extremely negative when compared to my time with FortuneBuilders. The energy and positive atmosphere that I found coming into the office every day was one of the most positive changes in my life, and I will miss it sincerely.

Cons

Informal office environment, which was honestly a bit of culture shock for me coming from a pretty strict corporate environment. Definitely got used to it quickly, but if you haven't had a more relaxed office environment before, it might take some time to adjust. HR actually jokes around here sometimes... that was a new experience.

Advice to Management

Continue to take the time to develop and put your people first. As the saying goes, when you take care of your employees, they'll take care of your customers with dedication and resolve. The amount of service standards that I learned, as well as the bolstering that I'd received to my existing repertoire was such a professional asset on which large companies simply cannot deliver the same consistency and quality.

1, 2, 3: Crush It!!

"Inside Admissions"

Former Employee - Inside Admissions in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Inside Admissions in San Diego, CA

I worked at FortuneBuilders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Family atmosphere. We all cared about each other, within our teams and the entire admissions floor.
    - you will not find a job that will help you grow as a person better than FB.
    - Great pay opportunity. Uncapped commissions and people there to help you succeed
    - The BEST system to follow to produce results. Just do what has been proven, and you'll be fine.
    - You're 2 blocks from the beach and in PB

Cons

- You will work A LOT of hours.
    - You have to be ready and willing to grind and grow as a person.

Advice to Management

Don't ever lose the family connection within the floor.

"Excellent company filled with successful investors"

Current Employee - Field Expert Coach in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Field Expert Coach in New York, NY

I have been working at FortuneBuilders part-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are so many positives to working with this company. The culture is top-notch and everyone I have met within the organization really cares about their job and the students we teach.

I have a very unique perspective because I started out as a student/client of the company and it helped me build a successful real estate investing business. I will forever be grateful to Than, Paul, and JD for what they have taught me about real estate and business. I have attended no less then ten of their trainings over the past six years and consider them to both my mentors and friends. I currently have twenty rental properties and have flipped over eighty properties because of what they taught me within the Mastery program.

I also love coaching students. It is really enjoyable to help someone else succeed in real estate using what I learned within Mastery.

Cons

The company has grown a lot over the past few years and at times there have been growing pains because of it. We have switched systems we use to track student progress and I think we should have made that improvement a while ago, but the one we have now is much better. However, as a business owner myself it really gives me perspective because I only manage three employees and that can be tough so I can't imagine having to manage hundreds of different people who all want to move up the company ladder.

Advice to Management

I love the focus on consistent growth and how much everyone seems to care about each other in the company. Please keep sharing with us how we can continue to grow within the organization. I would like to teach full immersions one day and I know I need to improve as a coach to get there.

Jun 6, 2017 – Recruiting Manager

Congratulations on your successful real estate investing business! Thank you for giving back to others in the Mastery program and we are so happy that you are having a positive experience as a... More

"Best place to work on the planet for "Intrapreneurs""

Current Employee - Team Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Team Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at FortuneBuilders full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The culture at FortuneBuilders is by far better than any other company culture I've ever been a part of in 17 years of work experience. It's what I assume the culture might be like at top entrepreneurial companies like Google, Apple, and the like. I'm not by any stretch comparing FB to these industry giants, however the culture at FortuneBuilders is quite attractive to the right type of "A Players" and definitely favors those who are what I call "Intrapreneurial" (to be explained in a moment).
    It starts at the top with the amazing leadership of founding partners Than, Paul, and Konrad and extends throughout the founders enterprise which consists of several verticals all focused around a central mission of empowering their students' purpose through financial education, and of course around real estate investing as well.
    Is FortuneBuilders perfect? No, but name me a company that is and I'll give you a million dollars. However does FortuneBuilders live by it's 5 core values of Inspire, Educate, Lead, Ethics & Integrity, and CRUSH IT!?! Absolutely, 100% it does. Both for it's student clients, and it's internal team members.
    For anyone who is "intrapreneurial" - meaning that you are entrepreneurial minded, you like taking ownership of your role as if it was your own business, proactively looking for ways to make something bigger, better, faster, stronger, better experience for the client, or more efficient process for yourself; and if you're committed to your own personal and professional growth; and you're just flat out fully engaged in your life, and wanting to be a part of something larger than yourself, then this might be the company for you.
    No joke, this company is not for people who are looking to just show up and punch a clock and collect a paycheck. They only hire "A Players", the best of the best, who want to be surrounded by other "A Players".
    Bottom line, this company is what I feel is THE best and most fertile employment environment for growth-seeking asskickers looking to make a significant contribution to a growing organization and looking to grow your self personally and professionally to the next level as an "intrapreneur".

Cons

On the other hand, If you're looking for an "easy" job that doesn't challenge you and is comfortable, then this might NOT be the right place for you.
    Also, if you're looking for a company that's been around for 100 years that has a super clear job track, where you know exactly what you need to do to get to the next pay raise and title advancement, then FB might not be for you. Although that type of clarity can be comforting for some people, it usually comes with a very stodgy and out-dated work environment and business model with a lot of corporate red tape etc.
    FortuneBuilders has in fact been around for over a decade and has thrived, which is great for those seeking job stability. However it's young enough and intentionally designed to be an environment of innovation, and rewards those who are entrepreneurial minded. This doesn't mean you have to have been a business owner in the past, it means you have to have a growth mindset and be willing to be ok with working inside of a growing and fast moving enterprise where sometimes there is some ambiguity as the company grows and continues to build out its' own internal processes. But what comes with this type of "intrapreneurial" environment is an incredible opportunity for YOU and I to co-create our own careers with the support of other team members inside of the comfy confines of a safe and stable growing company.
    The people who don't succeed at FortuneBuilders are generally the ones who are looking for a place to hang their hat and collect a paycheck. If these people by some chance get through the thorough interview process at FB, they certainly won't last long as they'll stick out like a sore thumb.

Advice to Management

They're already doing this, but I'd say to continue growing yourselves as the company continues to grow, and continue to maintain your primary focus on the success of your students, continually providing a better and better student experience.

Jun 6, 2017 – Recruiting Manager

This is definitely a fertile work environment for those looking for growth as well as one that doesn't have a lot of red tape. Thank you so much for taking the time to write this detailed review of... More

"A company where you can develop professionally AND personally!"

Current Employee - Administrative Lead (Customer Experience) in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Lead (Customer Experience) in San Diego, CA

I have been working at FortuneBuilders full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been able to grow tremendously on a personal and professional level as a result of my employment with FortuneBuilders. I have been with the company almost five years and learned so much. In my time here I have earned three promotions. There is definitely opportunity of growth if you're willing to work for it.

FortuneBuilders invests in their employees more than any other company I have worked with and look forward to my continuous growth with the company and the wonderful employees,many whom have become great friends.

Cons

At this time I cannot think of any cons.

Advice to Management

Continue investing in your employees and encouraging their growth.

May 23, 2017 – Recruiting Manager

Congratulations on almost five years with the company! FortuneBuilders definitely makes it appoint to promote from within, so for you to have experienced it firsthand three times is wonderful. The... More

"Coach"

Current Employee - Business Coach
    Current Employee - Business Coach

I have been working at FortuneBuilders full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company attracts high quality individuals with a passion for growth. I started with the company as a student learning the real estate investing business many years ago and built a successful business and continue to invest using what I have learned from the organization. I was offered the opportunity to coach other aspiring entrepreneurs and have found it to be one of the most valuable groups I have been around. The other 60 or so coaches from around the country have established, mature real estate businesses and we share best practices, growth hurdles, have regular mastermind sessions. My personal background comes from that of traditional education with a degree in Economics and professional history in finance and I am continually impressed by the quality of people in the organization from the students I get to work with as a coach, to the other coaches and team members, and the top level leadership.

Cons

With growth occasionally lines of responsibilities get blurred

Advice to Management

Continue to attract high quality people to the organization, it is refreshing being surrounded by great people on a regular basis

May 31, 2017 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for sharing your experience of not only working at FortuneBuilders, but of starting out as a student. You are a product of the product! Working with individuals who are also of high quality... More