Goodwill Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Goodwill President and CEO Jim Gibbons
Jim Gibbons

2,404 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Flexible hours and work life balance (in 39 reviews)

• The Goodwill organization is dedicated to helping people help themselves through the power of work (in 95 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is lost without communication (in 128 reviews)

• the wages are not very much only minimum wage (in 80 reviews)

1. "Terrible support services, Great Mission"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Goodwill full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great colleagues at team level who genuinely believe in the mission

Cons

Takes forever to sort out basic problems with HR, payroll, benefits. Unless you work for corporate they don't care. Don't even respond to issues.

Advice to Management

Sort out payroll and HR - they are supposed to support the entire workforce

2. "Runner"

Current Employee - Runner in Warner Robins, GA
    Current Employee - Runner in Warner Robins, GA

I have been working at Goodwill full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Casual work environment, stores close at 8:00pm everyday except Sunday close is 6:00pm. Our office allows one weekend off per month, work every other Sunday. Promises of more training and job placement services in the next three years.

Cons

Management is promising more opportunities to improve job skills through education within the next three years, I think this is too slow. The corp website has good information and advice, but employees are never shown this information in orientation.

Advice to Management

Management need to be more pro-active in cross training employees. Every employee needs to be aware and reminded of the help that is currently available for job search and skill enhancement instead of expecting the employee to research these opportunities by themselves.

"A company that really helps disadvantaged people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Goodwill full-time

Pros

The biggest compliment I can give is that Goodwill works with and hires people who have "barriers to employment" (e.g. mental or physical handicaps, seniors, people with a criminal record). They help people get jobs (either with them or another place) that have the greatest difficulty getting one.

Cons

I wish they would give some employees a better pay rate and give the part time employees more hours

Advice to Management

You are doing a great job and service with helping and hiring people with barriers to employment. Please consider trying to build fewer stores so quickly so there is more money to spare for employees.

4. "Past Employee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Goodwill full-time

Pros

Great employees who want to make a difference in their community.

Cons

Too many changes and no clear focus in all aspects of the company. Very high turnover but good pay.

5. "2nd Chance Employer"

Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Goodwill full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

able to move up quickly if you work hard and are ambitious, FELONY FRIENDLY - as long as you are honest and do not incur any more offenses you can move up into management

Cons

retail sales associate postions are not full time at most locations, pay is not competitive,

Advice to Management

make sure you have a solid management team because they can be your undoing

6. "Not to bad but could be better"

Former Employee - Team Lead in West Monroe, LA
    Former Employee - Team Lead in West Monroe, LA

I worked at Goodwill full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, option for insurance benefits, enjoyed working with the staff, was easy to communicate with other stores when and if there were any issues, laid back for the most part but kept you busy, fairly decent discount, and I find it really awesome goodwill hires those with special needs when many other companies wont.

Cons

Management wasn't always the best, I found that this was due to the lack of salary they wanted to pay. We had the best manager of all time when i was hired, she was hard working, dedicated, was in charge but didn't have a rude or mighty attitude yet kept all of our respect but since goodwill wouldn't pay her what she needed, she ended up leaving for a better job. They will hire rude as heck managers just because this said person was a lead at another store. I was also given an option to be demoted or for me to quit since I didn't have my own car at the time. Which this new manager should of never even known since I NEVER had any issues getting to work on time, leaving on time, taking bank deposits if needed yet I was being pushed to choose from two crappy options despite my hard working attitude. Goodwill will cut people's hours to keep them from being full time for benifits which pushes leads and managers to work twice as hard just to get work down. They also keep the budget so tight for more employees even though we made great sales and always had items being donated yet work that was enough for many people was pushed onto one or two people's hands. Despite our hard workers we would have items pile up in back due to lack of hands. You also have to deal with many customers thinking prices are too high and aren't afraid to let you know, arguing customers, and constantly cleaning up clothing items that customers will pull down and leave on the floor or ontop of racks(mainly due to the racks being too jam packed). Not to mention dealing with smokers taking breaks ever hour on the hour and then some even if the store is hectic.

Advice to Management

Reward hard workers, listen to what is needed in the store and do your best to help make the environment easier, be very aware of those who take smoke breaks and don't let negative and bad workers stick around because that just causes you to lose people who will work hard and work non-stop from the time they come in for work until the time they leave. Don't walk over your employees to get things done, work with them if there are issues and plan and help to change things. Pitching in to work just as hard as your employees is just as important as delegating things to do.

"Great Mission - Lack of Integrity"

Former Employee - Management in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Management in Oakland, CA

I worked at Goodwill full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Plenty of philanthropic opportunity to make a difference in local communities. Daily success stories from all around the agency, get to see people get back on their feet and change their lives. Opportunities to learn a variety of skills if you are willing to invest time and effort.

Cons

Pay, but it is a non-profit. Leadership does not live by their own rules, when there is issues with revenue they will cut the mission staff first instead of take it out of their substantial salaries. Money does not always go where you would think it should.

Advice to Management

Live by the Mission, by the very image that you project to society. Maintain your integrity by holding all staff accountable, including yourselves. Goodwill is supposed to be about the people it helps.

8. "Superviser"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Abilene, TX
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Abilene, TX

I have been working at Goodwill full-time

Pros

Helping people with barriers to employment.

Cons

Pay not great and long hours.

9. "Interview questions"

Current Employee - Retail Store Associate in Glendora, CA
    Current Employee - Retail Store Associate in Glendora, CA

I have been working at Goodwill part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Managers are great I love working that the people

Cons

Not enough hours they always cut back on the hours

Advice to Management

1. I always listen 2. Then I assess the situation and if need be a let the managers know

10. "Organization devoted to helping individuals with barriers succeed"

Current Employee - Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Goodwill full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Diverse work environment
    Community outreach
    Second chance employer

Cons

Very physical work
    Working with donated goods

Advice to Management

Implement more training for associates and management to be successful.

Showing 2,404 of 2,473 reviews