Goodwill Reviews | Glassdoor

Jim Gibbons

2,968 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Disconnect from the far upper management that makes decision for the programs (in 156 reviews)

• I would like the clerks to start out at more than minimum wage (in 101 reviews)

1. "Entry level"

Current Employee - Entry Level in Leavenworth, KS
    Current Employee - Entry Level in Leavenworth, KS

I have been working at Goodwill part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Because it's near to me

Cons

On my side, I don't have downsides

Advice to Management

Nothing

2. "Cashier"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier

I have been working at Goodwill part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits
    Good pay for a young student/person

Cons

A lot of work
    A lot of responsibility

Advice to Management

Be more respectful when you’re communicating with your employees.

3. "Loved being there"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Orlando, FL

I worked at Goodwill full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hours were great , when needed time off they didn’t hesitate to meet my needs . Customers were always nice and friendly . My store was always clean .

Cons

Needed more pay , and benefits offered . Some type of plan that would help so we would not have to struggle to not have health insurance .

4. "Donation Greeter"

Current Employee - Donation Greeter in Houghton, MI
    Current Employee - Donation Greeter in Houghton, MI

I have been working at Goodwill full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employees are very nice and great to work with.

Cons

Things change a lot it seems

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work & keep the store clean like it is!

5. "Right direction and heart, but derailed by micromanagers, lack of communication"

I worked at Goodwill full-time

Pros

This nonprofit truly does a lot of good with its career and job services which are free to anyone who needs them. Coworkers are usually very hardworking and passionate. A lot of good job experience working with people and helping them find better employment and meet education goals. Feeling like your work has a purpose.

Cons

A lot of micromanaging going on. Not a whole lot of room for growth or a to make a decent living wage. Higher up's say that want growth and change in theory but in practice seem unable to allow new ideas the space to flourish. You will be told you are in charge of a program but basically, you are just there to do everything they want you to do in their way, with no real room to have your own management style or ideas. There is a lot of miscommunication and lack of communication altogether. Several higherups do not do their job well and repeatedly try and dump their extra work on the lower managers. Little is said about the good you do, only told when things are wrong. Lot's of gossip and backbiting at every level. They expect you to do several people's worth of work.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging and offer appropriate wages and appreciation for the work required. You want to serve the community and offer better job choices? Start with your employees. Make them each a success story from retail to missions.

6. "HR Presented A Different Picture of the Company Compared to Working in the Retail Store"

I worked at Goodwill part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Prior to my first work day, HR presented a very optimist picture of the company, full of advancement opportunities, benefits for full time employees and how they help the community giving second chances to people and helping better their lives.

Cons

What I experienced in my job began on a positive note: coworkers were upbeat, funny & fun to work with. However, one of the assistant managers was overwhelmed and created an unhealthy work environment . Additionally, there were a lot of changes made to the store, The mood quickly changed as employees weren't notified of upcoming changes and management continued feeling overwhelmed.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to make routine unannounced visits to the retail stores observing leadership skills and group dynamics between assistant managers and store employees. Provide support /education to Assistant Managers to help maintain a healthy work life balance. Be on the watch for inappropriate new hires, overwhelmed management, drama.

7. "work"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Schuylkill Haven, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Schuylkill Haven, PA

I have been working at Goodwill full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good people to work with, fun work environment

Cons

sometimes boring, slow days, management could be better

8. "This place will eat you alive"

I have been working at Goodwill full-time

Pros

There's a lot of good reasons to work for Goodwill. You get to work for one of the most effective nonprofits in the business, work on big and important projects, and often work with really smart people.

Cons

Goodwill, like most nonprofits, is perpetually understaffed. Unlike most nonprofits, Goodwill has no excuse for being understaffed, as there is a bottomless well of grant opportunities, but the vision for that is very limited. Being understaffed means that you will constantly have work added to your work. When that happens, your work will suffer. Managers will tell you that you need to focus on your core work, so you do, and then they ask why you are not involved in various other working groups and side projects and on and on, so you join one of those various working groups and side projects. Then the managers question why your core work is suffering.

Burnout is very high.

Advice to Management

Fill vacant positions, retire the old guard and put your people in a position to succeed, not force them to struggle.

9. "Great place to work"

I worked at Goodwill full-time

Pros

Nice employees, very friendly at times.

Cons

Goodwill is not very diverse.

Advice to Management

Doesn’t matter, management does what they need to do.

10. "Happy Cashier"

Former Employee - Cashier/Keyholder Positions in Chino, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier/Keyholder Positions in Chino, CA

I worked at Goodwill part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, nice professional managers, easy work, promotions, comfortable work attire, opportunities for advancement. Great co-workers. Pleasant place to work. Nice customers. Morning shift. Mid shift. Part-time hours.

Cons

Workload of racks, occasionally late nights, hourly wages, racks left overnight due to unfinished work. Night closing clean up.

Advice to Management

Reduce rack workload, fairly distribute rack duties to employees or other managers.

Showing 2,968 of 3,052 reviews