Goodwill Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Goodwill Interview Questions

Updated Jun 8, 2018

2.2

Human Resources Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Goodwill.

Interview

I applied for the position online through the Goodwill website. I had a telephone interview at first and then a group interview. My impression is that they are serious about who they want to hire but I'm not sure about the process on which they go about doing the hiring.

Interview Questions

• Telephone interview were the standard questions, when is your availability to work, how did you hear about this position at Goodwill, why do you want to work for Goodwill.   1 Answer
    • A group interview was followed by the telephone interview several weeks after. We played games, we were "graded" based on our behaviors and at the end we had more serious questions such as, why do you want to work for Goodwill, who do you think your manager is out of this group.   Answer Question

Merchandise Specialist/Chahier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Marcos, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Goodwill (San Marcos, TX) in June 2018.

Interview

The structure of the interview makes sense. However, as soon as she could bash on the lazyness and the poor work ethic of her current employees- she would. I don’t think the problem is with the employees so much as it is her managing style. I don’t think anyone want’s to feel like they are just going to be talked behind your back from a supposedly trustworthy manager. If offered the job I would gladly decline. If you have nowhere else to turn to for a job- apply here. Otherwise, any other option may better suit you.

Interview Questions

• “Take this sheet and go fill it out(sheet that contains information and questions that I will gather from other emplpyees) and the more that you have on there the better the chance is that you get this job. “ (Not really a question but it made up the majority of the interview)   1 Answer
    • Something I wish she asked “how much would you like to earn here as a __ position?”   1 Answer
    • One last thing(since the interview was composed of her making statements and not really asking questions) is that she expects a reasonable amount of work(which was no problem) UNTIL she low balled the pay. No one likes to be played and payed less for a high demanding low paying job. So as I said, if you have NOWHERE else to go, maybe this is the place for you!   1 Answer
    • On terms of being “NON-PROFIT”... no you’re not.   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lynchburg, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Goodwill (Lynchburg, VA).

Interview

I met a recruiter at a job fair who was very eager to hire me. Following that I went to the store to complete a background check and quickly decided it wasn't the right fit for me. The next day I emailed the recruiter to thank her but told her I wasn't interested. I received a phone call a week later with her screaming at me through the phone telling me that they were ready for me to start...

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Goodwill.

Interview

Pleasant the interviewers were nice to talk to. They made the process and interaction casual and natural. Interviewed by two individuals and they each had my resume. Went back and forth to ask mandatory questions.

Material Handler Interview

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Goodwill.

Interview

Are you reliable: transportation, work ethic, responsible for project completion. Initiative is what will make you stand out from the rest. Will hire anyone who has what is listed above. No experience needed, but nice to have.

Collectibles Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Goodwill (Hillsboro, OR).

Interview

Simple interview. There were a couple of pre-screen questions about how often I bought things at Goodwill and what I knew about the company. Then, there were some general interview questions.

Sales Associate/Stock Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oviedo, FL

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Goodwill (Oviedo, FL) in May 2018.

Interview

Applied repeatedly online through indeed.com and then went in to the nearest store about a month later to ask about the application process. Was then met by multiple managers who told me to call back a couple days later to discuss an interview. Then called the very next day and was told that's not how it works and to apply for part time rather than full time. So I therefore went in person YET AGAIN and this time an assistant manager gave me the time of day and said to come in tomorrow morning for an actual interview. So this time I met 5 or 6 different people, one cashier, and the rest were I believe mangers and assistant managers of some kind or another. All of them were totally predisposed and completely overwhelmed by the seeming lack of manpower. Then I met my interviewer and went through a prearranged robot list of questions. The questions overall were very focused and simple, yet thorough. I don't know how on earth someone without experience could have passed, yet I know there are those who have. I honestly thought there wasn't the slightest chance in hell I would have passed but IMHO I just barely managed to slip by. Besides I think the interviewer had a rough idea of just how many months I'd been desperately searching for a job. THANK GOD FOR GOODWILL!!!! Anyways it turns out I was the only one they were interviewing that whole day even though they seemed so short staffed, ah well who knows. To conclude this the official questions were as followed:

Interview Questions

• Why goodwill?   Answer Question
    • Describe your previous experience.   Answer Question
    • Have you worked in warehouse?   1 Answer
    • Have you labeled product?   1 Answer
    • Have your priced product?   1 Answer
    • Have you worked with deadlines?   1 Answer
    • Have you dealt with a difficult customer?   1 Answer
    • Have you dealt with a difficult coworker?   1 Answer
    • What motivates you?   1 Answer
    • Give an example of teamwork.   1 Answer
    • Why should we hire you?   1 Answer
    • Why did you leave your last job?   1 Answer
    • Please explain your lapse in employment.   1 Answer
    • Can you differentiate between high end and low end clothing and other merchandise?   1 Answer
    • Describe a difficult situation in a previous job.   1 Answer
    • How do you deal with stress management.   1 Answer
    • Tell us a past accomplishment you're proud of and why.   1 Answer

Media Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Goodwill (Dallas, TX) in April 2018.

Interview

Applied online. Got an email about a week later from the hiring manager with some screening questions. Did not get called in for an in person interview. Did not receive word from the company after that.

Training Facilitator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bowling Green, KY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Goodwill (Bowling Green, KY).

Interview

Applied for the position in early January. After about a month and a half (almost 45 days), I reached out to see the status of my application. I was immediately contacted by a representative and asked to interview. The interview itself was pretty simple and the committee was able to accommodate to me and gave me a virtual interview, rather than an in-person interview. I was told to prepare a 10 minute presentation, but given no further instructions. Once the interview started, the committee did not know how to set up the webinar, so I was on webcam, but they were not. Ultimately, I did a phone interview and shared my screen for my presentation. During the interview I answered questions honestly and elaborated on certain questions. After about 3 questions, I was told “you’re doing very well, but you still have about 30 questions to answer and we still have to hear you presentation and we only have 40 minutes to compete this interview.” I felt rushed and was unable to answer questions honestly, which led to the rest of my interview being sub-par. I understood that they had to conduct interviews fairly and every candidate needed to have a similar experience, but I felt like the entire process was very unprofessional and they were just asking questions as a formality and not listening to what I was saying.

After the interview, I was told I would hear something back (with a yes or no) within a week. 3 weeks later I reached out because I had zero communication with the company. I reached out and immediately received an automated email stating that I had not received the position. At this point I had already received a few other interviews with other organizations and would not have accepted anyway, but it would have been nice hear something back from them sooner.

The organization is fantastic and I could tell that the employees love their jobs and are doing great things, however communication is very important when applying with this organization.

Interview Questions

• Most questions were formal interview questions. Ex: “tell me about a time when...” or “what would you do in this scenario...”   Answer Question

ADC Attendant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Henderson, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Goodwill (Henderson, NV) in March 2018.

Interview

I got there early, I found the manager I was told to find but she seemed busy so she had another manager interview me. Took me to the back office and started asking me things from a questionnaire. Very standard stuff, easy interview. Got a job offer, they needed people on another position more than I applied for so I took it as I am flexible