KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Found 2,591 of over 2,621 reviews

3.7
Great Clips CEO Steve Hockett
Steve Hockett
Pros
  • "Stylist can ask for coverage from other great clips salons if needed (bigger team)(in 201 reviews)

• "I love the fast paced environment getting to do what I love each day(in 161 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Stylists don’t always play nice when I’m not at the shop(in 254 reviews)

• "Haircuts have to be done Within 8-11minutes and the pay is low(in 160 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Great Clips and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Family

Aug 1, 2021 - General Manager in Jacksonville, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Teamwork, culture, stability, caring , talented stylists, franchisees care about every person genuinely and whole heartedly!

Cons

I can say I don’t honestly have complaints ! I love watching the organization grow along with myself .

2. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good job

Aug 3, 2021 - Stylist in Moorhead, MN
      Business Outlook

Pros

You get benefits. And I like the fast pace setting. The people are great, but depends on the salon.

Cons

Not very high base wage here. But you can make decent in tips. The schedule can be a pain because you don't get many weekends off.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Great career opportunities

Jul 26, 2021 - Manager in Fort Wayne, IN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fun atmosphere, family values, flexible schedules, built in clientele in busy locations that make you lots of money. Pay incentives vary from franchise but high competitive base wages always to earn you the most money possible and great tips!

Cons

Not too many, most salons are understaffed and looking for talented stylist to add to their teams/families. More stylist would help with most of the cons like excessive wait times which come with bring short handed.

4. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

You are literally part of an assembly line

Jun 23, 2021 - Hair Stylist
      Business Outlook

Pros

Yes, with tips, the money can be good. I have had to resort to this work a couple of times due to recession in 2009 and Covid in 2020. With the right manager and franchise owner, it can be tolerable ... even at times kind of fun.

Cons

The most recent location I worked at was miserable most days. Team members walked out right and left. They would leave their key and disappear. This left the remaining stylists with long hours that the franchise owner demanded us to cover. I am older but strong and capable. It almost broke my back to do a 7 hour shift and work as fast as I could, sometimes with a 15 minute break. I am a creative person and hair designer who needed a ready made client base so I put up with it as long as I could. Customers are often rude or noncommunicative, sometime with no tips. During 6.99 sales, you work like a dog and feel like one too. Start your hair industry career somewhere else.

1 person found this review helpful

Great Clips Response

Since each salon is independently owned and operated, the franchisee would be the best person to address your feedback. If you would like to share more, please email customerservice@greatclips.com and we will forward it to your franchisee. Thank you.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Family- feel Work Environment

May 20, 2021 - Hairstylist/Manager in Chesapeake, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Mirus LLC Franchise group with Great Clips for hair Create rewarding Career path for each individual employee based on personal willingness to commit and grow and thrive!!! I appreciate personalised incentives that give me a reason to continue to be great every day . I also appreciate being able to raise a family with flexibility. I really appreciate being able to raise a family and have fulfilling purpose with a professional career! A huge selling point For me is the ability to have the support structure I need to accumulate a great amount of Savings that Mike Owen (owner)pays into as a contribution towards my retirement and all full time employees!

Cons

Working for a Company like Great Clips, Forces you to be very in tune with your health and body!! We are incredibly busy salon group!! Our customer volume is unmatched... The work is very Constant and repetitive. It can take a toll on your body, you have to be very Conscientious about how you eat, wear great shoes, take at least 20min of allotted break time get plenty of rest drinking water, exercise stretch, and using vacation time that the company allows! These simple strategies prevent burnout and poor moral!

6. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

If you have a family or health issues this is not the place for you

May 16, 2021 - Management
      Business Outlook

Pros

The tips are great. It's fast pasted work. Guaranteed paycheck even if there are no customers because of the hourly wage.

Cons

If you have a family do not plan on being able to attend any of their events in order to get hours you have to have open availability was full-time Flex. You also get a review every 90 days on your numbers and if you do not make your numbers you get a pay decrease and lose whatever raised you got a 90 days before so you never have a regular pay set hourly wage. You are expected to maintain a certain level and percentage of numbers in order to retain your raise and if you do not retain those numbers you do not get to keep your raise a causes hardship in a home when you are budgeted. I worked for the company for nine years I have currently had health issues and unable to work because my symptoms were also covid symptoms. After nine years of employment I was called over the phone and terminated. It's great money but it is a franchise they say they are family-based but it's all about the dollar bills to them. You will start feeling like a robot and feel like you work for a haircut mill.

2 people found this review helpful

Great Clips Response

Because each salon is independently owned and operated, the franchisee would be the best person to address your feedback. If you would like to share more, please email customerservice@greatclips.com and we will forward it to your franchisee. Thank you.

7. 4.0
      Current Employee

Good cut

Jul 28, 2021 - Barber in Fountain Valley, Orange, CA, Optional[CA]
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good cut and good customer service. Very professional and does a really good job with cleaning

Cons

I don't have any cons with this place but if I have to say one thing then it'll have to be the waiting time that's it

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

It's all about your owners

May 2, 2021 - Manager in Fort Walton Beach, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

No chemical services are offered and after being in full service for years it is a great break. Our owners care about their employees more than the bottom line. For example, during our layoff for Covid19 our owner called once a week to check on us. Unfortunately I came down with a severe case of Covid19 and have missed a ton of work my owners never missed a beat. They text and even though I am anxious to get back to my team and clients, my owners are not taking chances and giving me ample time to get better.

Cons

The hiring pool is dried up and although I have no. Complaints about the pay, I feel we loose alot of potential hires because we are hourly and explaining the extra pay can be quite cumbersome.

Great Clips Response

Thank you for being a part of our great community of stylists and managers!

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great job at Great Clips

Jun 20, 2021 - Hair Stylist in Modesto, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have been working as a hairstylist at one of the Great Clips in Modesto, for almost 6 years now, and I have had nothing but good things to say about my experience so far. The owners, Todd and Kim, are some of the most caring owners I have worked under. They care about their employees so much and it shows. Each of them comes in a few times a week to check in to see if we need anything and even helps sweep and fold towels for us. They offer a 401 k for all of their employees and the best part is they match the first 3 percent you put in.

Cons

We were closed for six months due to the coronavirus outbreak. So happy to be back working now!

10. 5.0
      Former Employee

Good hair

Jul 31, 2021 - Trader in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Nice folks to work with

Cons

Tv coms all over place

Great Clips Response

Thank you for sharing your experience working in the salon!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 2,591 Reviews