Hallmark Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 21, 2018
1,365 reviews

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Hallmark CEO Don Hall Jr.
Don Hall Jr.

1,365 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Very part time work that will never yield to full time" (in 66 reviews)

• "RM's have no room for advancement unless you work very hard under budget" (in 24 reviews)

1. "Production Coordinator"

Former Employee - Production Coordinator
    Former Employee - Production Coordinator

I worked at Hallmark (More than a year)

Pros

A great learning environment.

Cons

No cons, a great experience

2. "Keyholder"

I have been working at Hallmark part-time

Pros

I loved the company and the people I worked with.

Cons

The low work hours & no fulltime.

3. "Enjoyable but not great"

Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Hallmark part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Enjoyable work, flexible schedule, supportive managment

Cons

Overwhelming workload at times, not enough time allowed to complete work at times, company waste, sometimes dealing with store employees and management is difficult

Advice to Management

It would be awesome to find a way to donate or recycle discarded product.

4. "Retail Merchandiser"

I worked at Hallmark part-time

Pros

Set own hours, flexibility, meet different people

Cons

Less hours during the week

5. "No work-life balance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Hallmark full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People are generally nice and respectful. Consensus culture, which is good and bad. Lots of meetings to an extent you get nothing done during normal business hours.

Cons

You’re always on fire drill. There is no work life balance. Very siloed. No documentation or training. IT help desk is mediocre at best. Many people work here for over a decade, so there are lots of antiquated ways of doing things that don’t get changed.

"Company as a whole is okay, my territory is great!"

Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Attleboro, MA
    Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Attleboro, MA

I have been working at Hallmark part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The schedule is very very flexible. You can pretty much choose when you work, within reason. There are times (Christmas, Valentine’s) where things need to be done on certain dates, but your weekly service visits are up to you. All territories are different, but in mine, each RM is assigned between 1 and 5 stores to service weekly. Each store gets a set # of hours per week and a required number of visits. For example, you may be assigned a CVS that gets 6 hours per week and needs to be serviced twice weekly. So essentially you’d service on Monday or Tuesday for 3 hours and again Thursday or Friday for 3 hours. That’s really up to you and often depends on when the orders arrive. You get a phone that logs hours and has everything you need to do your job in the phone. Very convenient.

Cons

Hours are extremely light if your territory has a lot of merchandisers. The hours are not as consistent as I’d like, because the store’s weekly allotted hours vary depending on the time of year . I’ve worked 30 hours in a week and then not at all. When seasons come and need to be set, it’s a lot of work if you service a few stores. My territory has recently become quite strict with corporate allotted hours. Before we were able to work as much as we felt we needed to so that the store was “retail-ready.” Now we need to clock out before our time is up or we are scolded. Sometimes, things can’t be done because of the strict time limits. Also, my state requires that I work minimum 3 hours per day... which is inconvenient with a job like this because sometimes I need to do a quick 20 minute straighten and I can’t because of the hours.

Advice to Management

Give merchandisers more freedom with hours. I realize you can’t let people stay on the clock for 60 hours a week for no reason, but most of these stores need more hours.

7. "Retail Merchandiser"

I have been working at Hallmark part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Allowed you to make your own schedule to a certain extent. Great for moms.

Cons

Other than sometimes you would only work 7 hours a week, not really many cons

"Retail Merchandiser"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Hallmark part-time

Pros

It is fun to interact with the staff of Walmart. I appreciate how hard they work. Working alone. I love this job. It is perfect for my schedule as I am a full-time student.

Cons

The trainer is controlling and expects you to follow her steps and when you don't she reports you to the manager. For instance, every store receives their Hallmark shipments at different times but she expects the shipments to be done first then straighten the shelves. When I arrive, I straighten the cards first and do other duties. The shipments from Hallmark doesn't arrive until late morning and that doesn't include when the store's warehouse team has time to check in the boxes. That is when I work on the shipments. So basically you are wasting your time until the shipment arrives if you follow what she wants. It would be better time management to service a store the way the RM sees fit as they work the store on a daily basis. They don't take this into account so when you leave early and boxes arrive after you leave, then it looks like you aren't working efficiently.

Shortened hours if another staff member works in your store: They don't mention that if the trainer or any other Hallmark staff work in your store, their hours worked takes away from what you have left for the week. The trainer will show up unannounced and this will take away from the hours I have for the rest of the week and will push me over the allotment. So if you have ten hours for the week and she shows up and works five, you will not have enough hours for the remaining of the week. I think she finds reasons to work in the store so she can get hours for herself. She is doing this with other RM's too. She will find something wrong when there is nothing wrong. But she will come into the store anyways, taking hours. It would be easier if the trainer sent a email.

Shifts: Split shifts on the holidays. I was told I had to work a split shift the day before Mother's day and on Mother's day. This wasn't mentioned a few hours in advance but several hours before. I had to work Saturday morning, and couldn't return to service the store until four hours later. I couldn't make plans and I only got paid .35 cents additional for traveling 30 minutes.

Advice to Management

Encourage new staff to read manuals first before attending training instead of a week or two later. Allow RM's to service the store the way he/she thinks is best instead of following steps because every store is different. As long as I get the work done, there shouldn't be a problem. No need to micro-manage. Stop thinking it isn't important to have cards organized and shelves dust free. My manager cared more about getting the product on shelves. How can an RM recommend a card if they don't know what is there? It is embarrassing. Customers do notice the dust and the disorganization and eventually, they will stop shopping Hallmark cards if pride isn't taken with the product.
    When you say flexibility, mean it.

9. "Nice Job"

Current Employee - Key Holder
    Current Employee - Key Holder

I have been working at Hallmark part-time (More than a year)

Pros

40% off discount for employees
    Pretty easy work most of the time
    Great coworkers
    Got promoted within 6 months

Cons

Nasty customers sometimes
    High turnover for managers leaves our store chaotic

10. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Key Holder
    Former Employee - Key Holder

I worked at Hallmark part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great products, good hours and flexible

Cons

They ask a lot of their employees and they don't pay that great.

Advice to Management

pay better

Showing 1,365 of 1,411 reviews