Hallmark Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 21, 2017
1,168 reviews

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Hallmark Vice Chairman, President, and CEO Don Hall Jr.
Don Hall Jr.

1,168 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Sales assistant"

I have been working at Hallmark full-time

Pros

Flexible schedule, easy work, short days

Cons

average pay, catty employees, ornament season in Summer

Advice to Management

Don't be so crazy and power hungry, my manager was both and I was scared to work with her

2. "Territory Supervisor"

I have been working at Hallmark part-time

Pros

Flexible work hours, responsible for own stores

Cons

Hours vary, cannot count on hours

3. "Retail Merchandiser"

I have been working at Hallmark part-time

Pros

Part Time, Fast-Paced, No Weekends, Ability to Work Extra Hours During Off Season

Cons

Demanding At Times, Low Pay for Amount of Participation

"Great company to work for"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Douglasville, GA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Douglasville, GA

I worked at Hallmark part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Supportive work environment, high pay compared to other stores in the area, management really values input, friendly co-workers who seem to value company

Cons

Traffic is practically nonexistent during non-holiday seasons, leading to fewer hours for employees, tasks can get tedious fast, not much room for growth

Hallmark Response

Aug 17, 2017 – Hallmark Representative

Thank you for sharing your experience at Hallmark. Glad to hear you are enjoying your co-workers, too.

5. "Part time sales associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Hallmark part-time

Pros

Flexible hours, good people, okay discount

Cons

Low pay, boss favored certain employees

"Hallmark will still be around for a long time."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Hallmark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-KC is awesome, Crown Room is awesome, very good intern program as well.
    -Hallmark has a proud legacy and great brand reputation. The cards and retail businesses are in decline, but Hallmark is so good at what it does that it's not dead yet.
    -401k/profit sharing and other benefits are good, pay seemed pretty average.
    -Good work-life balance (lots of moms with young kids), generally no culture of working more than 8-5 as long as you get the job done.
    -Tries (at least superficially) to be loyal to its employees. Average tenure is probably over 15 years.
    -Opportunity to work with/in many different roles/areas within the business
    -Lots of talented and experienced employees from the top to bottom, everyone is very nice and welcoming to everyone, very few people aren't good at what they do.

Cons

-Typical "big" company negatives: lots of bureaucracy, corporate politics, non-existent HR, constant rumors of downsizing/reorganization, most of the building is a cubical farm.
    -You're on your own for career development, they hire very few young people and don't train very well, so if you want to grow you have to seek opportunities
    -Lack of diversity. It can be difficult to fit in if you're not in the typical Hallmark demographic (middle age white woman who is from the area).
    -Thick layer of middle managers who are all talented/experienced but are misused as shields between senior management and the peons.
    -No clear strategy from upper management, most people spend their time trying to blame someone else and nobody will take sustained risks
    -Most of their technology and business processes are >5 years behind the times, every piece of supply chain/data warehouse/ creative software is hacked together and requires more time to learn/maintain than it does to actually use effectively. There are armies of IT and data entry employees that shouldn't be needed.

Advice to Management

-Bring in a more diverse, younger crowd. They're younger and probably cheaper.
    -Take more risks and actually commit to a long term strategy for the company, even if that means getting rid of long-time employees.
    -Update technology to make the business run more efficiently, even if people complain.
    -Update the office space. More windows.

Hallmark Response

Aug 17, 2017 – Hallmark Representative

Thank you for such a comprehensive review. We appreciate hearing your thoughts on what went well and what we can improve on. Your thoughts will be shared with the appropriate teams.

7. "Not for eeryone"

Former Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Hallmark part-time

Pros

Decent hours, for me was close to home, basically work alone, mostly clean work

Cons

too much lifting of heavy boxes, critical lower management, nowhere to go - I think this job is good for a non-bread winner who has kids and can work during the time their kids are in school

Advice to Management

Pay better, give a good worker a raise after the first month

"Could be better could be worse"

Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Monticello, NY
    Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Monticello, NY

I have been working at Hallmark part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Day time hours, always on the move, excellent work life balance, pretty flexible

Cons

Not enough time allotted for work that needs to be done, too much wear and tear on personal vehicles and certainly not compensated fairly for using our own vehicle, upper management really needs to get out in the field more, supervisors play favoritism, absolutely no room for advancement whatsoever..

Advice to Management

Get out into the field more, and speak with your merchandisers and not just our territory supervisors, please. The product waste is astronomical. Its very aggravating to scan out and throw away all that product and to see that the total amount being thrown in the trash is twice more than our salaries, just sad and extremely wasteful especially when its the same stuff being sent again the next holiday over and over. Consider higher mileage reimbursement these are our personal vehicles that are taking a lot of wear and tear. Xx amount cents per mile doesn't even pay for the gas we need to even get to our home stores or even a quart of oil at that. Our pay is twice below the median level of retail merchandisers. All those emails about how well the company is doing but your merchandisers are struggling. Not saying we should be making 65k a yr for part time work but less than 5k a year is just horrendous. Many companies offer benefits for their pt employees maybe you could look into that for us.

"A lot of stress for very little money"

Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser
    Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser

I have been working at Hallmark part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice to work alone. Some of the tasks are easy, almost enjoyable. You get to decide what time you start, hours are pretty flexible.

Cons

Too few hours stretched out over 5 days hardly seems worth it, barely breaking even with the amount you'll spend on gas. Too much work to fit into such a short amount of time, you never get everything done, and then you get attitude from territory supervisor for things not being 100% perfect. Many of the store managers and other workers can be rude and unpleasant.

Advice to Management

Cards are way overpriced, seems like sales would be better if prices were more realistic. Way too much product is being wasted and sent to the dump, it's sickening. You should look into either recycling the cards or donating some products to places like nursing homes. Also it's ridiculous that employees are not allowed to have ANY merchandise that is just being thrown away anyway.

10. "Sales associate"

I worked at Hallmark part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was very fun, their stuff is cute.

Cons

They say it is flexible gours, but u don't get a lot.

Advice to Management

Give employee more hours, 25 will be ideal, so we can support ourselves

Showing 1,168 of 1,199 reviews