HealthPartners Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Andrea Walsh

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is good for hourly employees (in 7 reviews)

• No communication between upper management and middle management (in 8 reviews)

1. "Overall great place to work."

I worked at HealthPartners full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked in multiple areas & locations due to various advancements & education, and I can honestly say I really liked them all. Rarely did I ever have a day that I just didn't want to go to work, & if I did, it wasn't because of the people I worked with. When a company treats their employees well, they treat each other well.

Cons

I can honestly say there weren't any major cons when I worked here. I was let go due to a workforce reduction, & I could tell that my boss really didn't want to have to do it. As much as being laid off sucked for me, my boss definitely made sure it wasn't a personal decision, & she didn't enjoy having to do it.

Jan 8, 2018 – Recruitment Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate the feedback!

2. "Member Services"

I worked at HealthPartners full-time

Pros

They truly care about the Member and the training they do shows that. They also work with you to advance your career throughout the company

Cons

The pay isn’t equal to what other similar organizations offer

Jan 2, 2018 – Recruitment Manager

Thank you for sharing your experience!

3. "Happy Managers don't equal Happy Staff"

Former Employee - Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at HealthPartners full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Health benefits are good
    401k contribution is average
    Flexible work schedule/remote work options
    HR supports Leaders
    Leaders/Managers receive an annual bonus up to 15% of their salary

Cons

Leadership was so busy that they didn't have time to complete the tasks to ensure their staff are paid adequately and acknowledged. Their response was always, "I'll check on that!" The culture at HealthPartners is great at first in that it's very collaborative and forgiving. However, Managers/Directors need to understand that their happiness will not simply trickle down to their staff, unless they are paid well and respected.
    You will notice that Directors and above are taking week long vacations every other month. Middle management almost never have time for a vacation that long. That speaks volumes as to how much Directors and above care about the workloads of their staff. I took 1 week long vacation during my tenure of 5 years at HealthPartners.

Advice to Management

Start living and breathing the culture that HealthPartners values and show that you care about your direct staff and their well-being. Your Directors and above need to take the time to ensure their staff have what they need to be successful; this includes decent pay, pay raises when the job duties grow, and a balanced workload.

Jan 8, 2018 – Recruitment Manager

Thank you for sharing your experience. We are always striving to improve, so we genuinely appreciate your feedback.

4. "Sonographer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at HealthPartners full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, diverse patient base

Cons

Do not cover the cost of CME

Jan 2, 2018 – Recruitment Manager

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review!

5. "Started off nice...."

I have been working at HealthPartners full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits are good.
    My coworkers are great.
    Good starter company to get your foot in the door.

However, no real work/life balance. Not flexible.

Cons

Management is not as transparent as they say they are. They don’t like to put anything in writing (always ask that they provide you documentations otherwise it’ll be hearsay) and will sugarcoat a lot of what they say. Upper management will only look out for themselves and those they favor. They also are sneaky about a lot of things. If they want a certain someone to get a certain position, they will bend some rules to ensure that their person gets it. If they find you no longer beneficial to them, they will find ways to fire you.

HealthPartners pride on giving excellent patient care, inclusion, and being honest - however I’ve seen the worse come from management themselves. A little empathy for others will go a long way as we are the face of HealthPartners.

The lack of integrity from the higher-ups creates a low morale in the work setting. Sounds kind of hypocritical considering integrity is the basis of HealthPartners mission. I guess it’s the way of corporate life eh?

Advice to Management

Maybe get off your high horse once in awhile and experience what it’s really like working on the front end. Be real and get to know your team members. Be what you preach.

"Healthy Culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richfield, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richfield, MN

I worked at HealthPartners full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work-life balance is amazing at this company. Best leadership, community oriented.

Cons

Leadership might allow some of the old timers bully others - people who have been at the company a long time (from the Fire in the Bones Era).

Advice to Management

Put everyone on the same playing field - new and old. Everyone has a perspective there is no right and wrong or we have always done it this way. Challenge everyone to think a collaborative way.

Nov 30, 2017 – Recruitment Manager

Thank you for your input and putting in a review on Glassdoor; we appreciate it!

7. "Government Programs Representative"

Current Employee - Government Programs Representative in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Government Programs Representative in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at HealthPartners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This position allows you to learn a great deal about government program entities - CMS, DHS as well as the exchange plans if you have an interest in learning about the healthcare industry particularly the government funded side of healthcare.

Cons

High turn around in staff, which puts stress on current staff and availability for PTO.

Advice to Management

I recommend finding an effective way to maintain and retain employees more effectively.

Nov 27, 2017 – Recruitment Manager

Thank you for the very valuable feedback!

8. "Great company culture"

I have been working at HealthPartners full-time

Pros

- Flexible
    - Great benefits
    - Supportive culture

Cons

- Low pay and low annual increases
    - Minimal growth opportunities

Advice to Management

Establish more growth opportunities

Nov 20, 2017 – Recruitment Manager

Thank you for the feedback, it's really helpful!

"Non-Profit Type Culture"

Current Employee - Contract Writer in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Contract Writer in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at HealthPartners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. "Happy Days" benefit is a great perk available March-September allowing employees to work an extra hour for each day of the pay period and take the 10th day of the pay period off without having to utilize PTO.
    2. Great people throughout the organization who are thoughtful and understanding regarding work/life balance.
    3. Great benefits (low cost for health insurance, great 401k match)

Cons

1. "Get it Done" mentality: there is rarely an established protocol, when trying to learn a new process I was met often with "I just know" rather than a written or well articulated process.
    2. Laid back (sometimes to the point of procrastination) mentality.
    3. Bend over backwards for the client, never just saying "no".
    4. Over half the year I am without constant work, it makes for a long, purposeless workday.

Advice to Management

Review the sustainability of employees in each department, look at where positions can be condensed, how knowledge can be shared and passed on rather than focusing on tribal knowledge ("I just know").

Dec 4, 2017 – Recruitment Manager

"IT Leadership Is a Wrecking Ball"

I worked at HealthPartners full-time

Pros

Culture, family/work life balance, wonderful CEO, and company mission

Cons

The organization is naturally experiencing some growing pains; however, trouble is being enhanced for the organization with the current CTO in place. He creates unnecessary drama and empowers consultants to follow his lead of being abrasive to full-time employees. Additionally, the CTO is scatterbrained and does not remember what he has said to most people from one minute to the next. Leadership is not a strong point for him. The organization can benefit from change, but the current IT Leadership team is toxic and the departmenthas not successfully completed that can be considered if both value and quality. There are many flaws in the work that has been delivered thus far.

Advice to Management

Investigate what is happening to the organization under the direction of the CTO.

Dec 4, 2017 – Recruitment Manager

Thank you for taking the time to let us know your thoughts.