HealthPartners Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Andrea Walsh

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Guidance/example by upper management for work/life balance for non-union employees is poor" (in 11 reviews)

• "Promotions are based on seniority" (in 4 reviews)

1. "Sr. Administrative Assistant"

Current Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at HealthPartners full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good work/life balance, great benefits, great culture

Cons

no cons as of now

Advice to Management

None

Dec 31, 2018 – Recruitment Manager

Thank you for providing us with this great feedback!

2. "Great Benefits"

I have been working at HealthPartners full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Wonderful place to work with great benefits package

Cons

May sometimes encounter discrimination regarding language and race.

3. "Intern"

I have been working at HealthPartners full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome

Cons

Nothing which can be changed, good

Feb 4, 2019 – Recruitment Manager

Thank you for taking time to review our organization!

4. "great place to work"

Current Employee - DevOps Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - DevOps Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at HealthPartners full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

good learning, not a lot of pressure

Cons

upper management still hold traditional style of working.

Feb 4, 2019 – Recruitment Manager

Thank you for taking time to submit your feedback!

"Leadership is key to success - and certain department are extremely lacking"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN

I worked at HealthPartners full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits (medical, dental, 401K, PTO)

Cons

Salary, merit increases, annual performance review process

I believe the organization as a whole means well and does good work for the community and the people they serve.

However, within the corporate culture - specifically at the 8170 HQ location, things within certain departments are a mess. The department in which I worked had 6 people resign in less than 4 months as a direct result of the way the department director and manager treated people. Training was nearly non-existent and in some cases, supervisors/managers didn't even know how to do the work their team members were expected to do.

Organizational "re-structuring" occurred two times in less than 6 months between May and October of 2018. When new members were on boarded to offer fresh insights and ideas for the team, leadership shut those ideas down, ignored the suggestions and continued to do exactly what they'd been doing all along. Ultimately, both of those new team members resigned after less than 6 months because of the lack of respect they were afforded by the department leaders.

Team members regularly requested clearly defined opportunities for growth (i.e. the creation of "sr. roles" within the department) from the department director and manager over the last two years and promises were made but never kept. When I left, after nearly four years with the organization, that department still had done nothing to move those requests forward - even though leadership continued to promise they were "working on it."

Merit increases were nearly non-existent and even team members who were consistently going above and beyond never saw more than a 2.5% merit increase on an annual basis. Some team members who had received great quarterly reviews and feedback from clients even were offered 1% merit increases - with no justification of why they weren't "meeting expectations." While 2.5% was the max our department was apparently able to give for merit increases, I know other departments were able to offer up to 5% for their employees.

There was a lot of inconsistencies within the department where I worked as it related to merit pay and when questioned, leadership said it was a "company wide standard", but after talking to other people across the organization, it was easy to determine leadership was not being truthful about that.

The culture on the team in which I worked was extremely childish and unprofessional when it came to people who resigned or decided to pursue new opportunities outside the organization. In some cases, team members who announced their resignations were celebrated widely - with leadership planning their going away happy hour celebrations and announcing to the entire team how proud they were of those individuals and their contributions during their tenure with the organization. In others, once a person submitted his/her resignation, leadership ignored that person for up to two weeks (literally walking right past them without acknowledging them), pulled them out of all client meetings, refused to notify the rest of the department until that person's last day of employment and essentially black-listed them from everything and anything for the last two or three weeks of employment.

Finally, if you are client facing and manage clients in any way, know that certain leaders are happy to do whatever is necessary to retain that client - even if it comes at an immense cost to the the overall health and well-being of the HealthPartners employee/s managing that client. I can not say this is true for all departments and certainly hope this is not the case for all areas of the organization - in fact I'm sure it's not. However, it was blatantly evident within the department where I worked and it disappoints me to no end to share that.

Advice to Management

Overall leadership at this organization means well and I believe in the values and mission of the organization. However, in order for all departments within the organization to be successful, leaders need to truly put their egos aside, empower their team members and utilize the key strengths each person brings to the table. Until this happens, certain areas of the organization will continue to see the immense turnover they have been experiencing over the last several months and ultimately, will never achieve the potential that is there with the extremely talented employees that make up so many areas of the organization.

To Sr. Leadership: I encourage you to pay attention to what your directors and managers are doing and how they are viewed by the employees who work for them. Talk to the teams. Get honest feedback - listen.

The feedback in the annual engagement survey is real and honest from the employees who take it. If a department is seeing consistent decline year over year in their survey results, go to the employees - don't listen to the excuses the director or managers are giving you for the survey results. It's too easy for them to spin something that isn't true.

And remember, if someone has to tell you how "high his moral standards and values are", his actions will most-likely tell you something completely different. People like that are more-often-than-not the ones who truly lack in moral value and character. Pay attention to the way your directors and managers treat their employees - their actions truly speak louder than their words and if you pay close attention, you'll be appalled at the behavior of some of those leaders.

Feb 4, 2019 – Recruitment Manager

I'm sorry to hear you didn't have a so positive experience in your department. Feel free to discuss this further with a Human Resources Representative by calling our HR Service Center team at... More

6. "Great benefits, great colleagues, confusing systems"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at HealthPartners full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great health and retirement benefits; great co-workers

Cons

Things are changing! New senior leaders recently on-board. Stay tuned.

Jan 21, 2019 – Recruitment Manager

Thank you for taking time to submit your positive experience working at HealthPartners!

"Disappointed with where the company is going"

Former Employee - Pharmacist in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Pharmacist in Bloomington, MN

I worked at HealthPartners part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Union can be beneficial in terms of being protected. Great healthcare benefits. I was in the SEIU union, $135 a month capped for the family medical premium option. If it’s just you, you get free healthcare through Healthpartners. My coworkers are great, and very knowledgeable.

Cons

Union can bite you in the butt. Union means everything is based on seniority hours. If you’re trying to get a spot somewhere, you have to wait in line until you’ve reached seniority. SEIU union members do not have short-term disability. Your parental leave is unpaid for. You have up to 4 months to stay with your newborn, but it’s all unpaid for, so as a newer employer, if you don’t have PTO, etc, you’re going to be unpaid. Most parents will just do the bare minimum with their children. There are no ophthalmic coverage, just a “discount” at the clinics. If you are on-call, you may not even get hours for months. D/t, seniority employees get dibs on hours first. You can have someone who was working full time for years, who decides that they just want to float around now. They have the most hours in your bidding pool. During holidays or when kids are back in school when everyone wants more money, you can guarantee that those seniors will pick up all the shifts and you’ll go months without working.

Advice to Management

Training needs to be improved. I was told I would have a few weeks to train, but I was trained a few days only. I didn’t even have credentials yet, so just watched what was being done, then expected to do everything on my own.

Jan 21, 2019 – Recruitment Manager

Thank you for taking time to submit this feedback, we greatly appreciate it.

"No training; unless you have seniority you'll get no time off."

Former Employee - CMA in Arden Hills, MN
    Former Employee - CMA in Arden Hills, MN

I worked at HealthPartners part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Insurance benefits are great (but you pay for it with Union dues)

Cons

They require SIX MONTHS notice for vacation!!!....Union protects the wrong people. I was required to work outside of my scope and eventually made a mistake and was fired for it. Union did NOTHING to protect me when I complained of being required to work outside my scope of practice. They again did nothing when I was fired for doing it wrong. High union dues. Required to attend meetings on OFF time.

Advice to Management

2-3 months notice for vacation is enough time for support staff! Follow up and if more training is needed - give it!

Feb 4, 2019 – Recruitment Manager

Thank you for letting us know about your experience.

"Could be great...."

I worked at HealthPartners full-time

Pros

Fantastic Benefits that make it hard to leave

Cons

Leadership is clueless (clinic and corporate). Hopefully new senior leadership will make some changes because HP is very outdated.

Advice to Management

Value the employees that you have.
    Don't hire leadership based on personality alone - hire based on knowledge as well.

Jan 14, 2019 – Recruitment Manager

Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate your concerns and will take it into consideration.

"Poor management expectations"

Pros

Great patients, super co-workers, good choice of supplies

Cons

Poor management support. Extensive hours . Bottom line is graded in maximum productivity. Average day is 12-14 hours( salaried at 8) . Focus off excellence and satisfaction and on monetary bottom line.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees

Jan 7, 2019 – Recruitment Manager

We value and consider all feedback and we will continue to find ways to improve.