Herman Miller Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Herman Miller President, CEO, and Director Brian C. Walker
Brian C. Walker

Pros
Cons
  • Senior Management lacks diversity and understanding of real employee issues and needs (in 5 reviews)

• New hires must be ambitious, and dedicated to succeed (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Company to Work For"

I have been working at Herman Miller full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very creative and empowering environment -- I have a lot of independence and am encouraged to try new things and take risks.

Cons

With any big company, getting things done through corporate can take a very long time, involving too many people and too many steps. The inefficiency can be frustrating.

Advice to Management

Our industry is changing and consequently, we have to shift with it -- better communication from our executive leadership would be nice.

2. "Work Team Leader"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Holland, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Holland, MI

I have been working at Herman Miller full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, family environment, and great development.

Cons

None that I can think of

Advice to Management

Keep it up

"Really disappointing and sad"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Zeeland, MI
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Zeeland, MI

I have been working at Herman Miller full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

People trying their best and helping one another through the mess, Hard workers, People, People, People. Can't stress this enough the people are great

Cons

Management cares more about stock price to boost their portfolio and get bonuses, cutting the people off at the knees for the "opportunity" to save 25-35 million over the next few years. Basically killing the company.

Advice to Management

Quit focusing on the stock price; Quit hiring managers, directors and VP's and hire workers; Focus on the contract business and not on being a "design company"; Quit wasting money on pipe dreams (flagship) and fix what needs to be fixed (energy center); abandon this savings "opportunity" and focus on production inefficiency. Working 10 hour days and OT every Saturday for months wears on people; promote from within not hiring this outside people who make idiotic changes that have been tried 100 times before and then they leave in a year or two, this happens WAY too often. Just basically get out of the Design Yard and your bubble and see what is actually going on.

"Sr. Program Manager, Talent Acquisition"

Former Employee - Senior Program Manager Talent Acquisition in Zeeland, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Program Manager Talent Acquisition in Zeeland, MI

I worked at Herman Miller full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company that allows and promotes employee development, professional networking, and is a tremendous community partner and advocate.

Cons

Sr. and Mid-management professionalism, integrity, leadership abilities vary greatly.

Advice to Management

Invest in the whole employee by truly caring for others and their well-being and not only your personal success. Every good leader knows their success is only as good as the overall success of the team and ensuring their team members are doing value-added work. Coach and mentor your people

"Great people. Political leadership."

Former Employee - Director in Holland, MI
    Former Employee - Director in Holland, MI

Pros

Amazing people with very high intellectual horsepower. Wonderful products with an amazingly open and inviting culture. Great work-life balance (abused by many).

Cons

The pace of work is agonizingly slow. Not because people aren't working hard or they don't want to move fast, but because everyone in the company's management is allowed to second guess every decision without being involved in the process. This leads to some really nasty politics at the senior and executive levels - gamesmanship and positioning which unfortunately tears up good/smart employees.

Advice to Management

Define. Empower. Hold accountable. Stop the executive 'drive-bys' that kill autonomous thinking and destroy employee morale. (Not only does it damage the people but it REALLY slows down your development cycles.) You have an unbelievable organization with amazing people. Let them shine and punish the political leaders that are out for themselves.

"I worked at Herman Miller 16.5 yrs"

Former Employee - Fabrication Tech in Spring Lake, MI
    Former Employee - Fabrication Tech in Spring Lake, MI

I worked at Herman Miller full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good Benefits. They have a Great, buy an extra week of Vacation option.Fairly clean environment (171st Plant A). Some friendly employees

Cons

If your a hard worker. You'll go NO where in the company. Because you are the person that is expected to get the production done. If your a slacker/do nothing type of person. You'll move right on up the company ladder. And women........Lets just say I wouldn't let my Mom or Sister work there.

Advice to Management

Communicate to your employees. Your Really not that far "above" them. Judge/Promote people by how hard they WORK. Not on their Gender.

8. "SMB Sales Representative"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Herman Miller full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is an amazing, supportive company

Cons

Working with dealerships was tricky and creates some negativity

Advice to Management

None! Had an incredible experience

9. "Great company culture. Awesome benefits."

Current Employee - Material Handler in Zeeland, MI
    Current Employee - Material Handler in Zeeland, MI

I have been working at Herman Miller full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits are great. My health insurance premiums are half the cost of my last employer. Lots of physical comforts, its warm in the winter, cool in the summer. Very safe, clean work environment.

Cons

Their workforce is close to retirement. They can be a bit tricky to navigate. New hires must be ambitious, and dedicated to succeed. They've got high expectations, personally i think that could be under pros.

Advice to Management

Not sure. They are a large, multi national company. I cannot pretend to know any better than professionals they have in charge.

"Great company to work for! Their positive reputation is completely accurate."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Zeeland, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Zeeland, MI

Pros

Herman Miller is a great place to work! They have so many different perks and benefits - I learn about new ones everyday! They are very good at changing with the times, while still having a hometown/family feel. Herman Miller also is really proactive about having a Flexible work environment which is really attractive.

Cons

Not all of Herman Miller's buildings are physically attractive on the inside. I feel they need to do a better job of updating the environment to match the creativity and design of our products.

Advice to Management

Management needs to do a better job at updating the databases that we use. The current systems are out of date and can be difficult to work with and get information out of.

11. "Sales"

Current Employee - SMB Sales Representative in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - SMB Sales Representative in Boston, MA

Pros

Great culture, work life balance and environment

Cons

not too many cons, could have higher salaries

Advice to Management

good management at certain levels.