Herman Miller Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Herman Miller President, CEO, and Director Brian C. Walker
Brian C. Walker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work-life balance (abused by many) (in 31 reviews)

• Great benefits, family environment, and great development (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior Management lacks diversity and understanding of real employee issues and needs (in 5 reviews)

• New hires must be ambitious, and dedicated to succeed (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Company to Work For"

I have been working at Herman Miller full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very creative and empowering environment -- I have a lot of independence and am encouraged to try new things and take risks.

Cons

With any big company, getting things done through corporate can take a very long time, involving too many people and too many steps. The inefficiency can be frustrating.

Advice to Management

Our industry is changing and consequently, we have to shift with it -- better communication from our executive leadership would be nice.

2. "Great Learning and Development"

Current Employee - Talent Management in Zeeland, MI
    Current Employee - Talent Management in Zeeland, MI

I have been working at Herman Miller full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I started here five years ago in manufacturing but it wasn't my long-term goal as a career. Herman Miller paid for my remaining college classes and I was also selected for an internal paid internship. After that internship ended I was hired to continue working with that team. I enjoy the variety in my work and the friendships I've gained here. Feels more like family than business.

Cons

Depending who your work team leader is, your experience can vary greatly. There are pockets of negative and positive within teams and leadership. Sometimes it can be difficult to navigate and develop here without a large network of supporters. But if you manage to break through, it's worth the struggle.

Advice to Management

Don't forget our roots and rich history of caring for people as individuals.

"Large and slow corporation"

Former Employee - Marketing in Holland, MI
    Former Employee - Marketing in Holland, MI

I worked at Herman Miller full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great design and culture story, amazing and well developed products, perks and benefits

Cons

Average to below average salaried pay, excruciatingly slow processes within marketing and brand to the point where sales are affected, siloed departments with poor communication and apathy to do anything outside their job title, little opportunity to develop and move into other positions/promotions even though development is what everyone talks about, management reorganizes themselves every ten minutes, expect to compete with an outside contractor for an internal job and don't expect to get it.

Advice to Management

Figure out a way to retain younger talent that wants to work hard because they're leaving for companies where they'll make a difference. Too many are being sucked into the dream that they'll work at HM for 30 years like others have done in the past and just coast without ambition. Get some fresh ideas on ELT, some energy, some excitement, some risk takers! Yes, that means some executives should exit.

4. "Great Place"

I have been working at Herman Miller full-time

Pros

Very clean. Friendly staff and supervisors.

Cons

Bonus programs could be better.

"Once great, now average at best"

Former Employee - Senior Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Manager

I worked at Herman Miller full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits package
    Good brand recogniton for designers & industry
    Great history

Cons

Slowly trending downhill
    IT department is undervalued & understaffed
    Leadership seems a "good old boys club"
    No longer an innovation industry leader
    Actual support of diversity is lacking (they don't walk their talk)

Advice to Management

- Restore diversity to executive committee - it looks like the 1980s up there now.
    - Put more value in IT.
    - Clean up marketing - most people do not know who does what over there - even those who work in it.
    - Stop hiring people with ego and start hiring people that want to serve a once great company.
    - Stop using "times change" as an excuse. The same principles that made HMI great can make it great again.

"Territory Manager"

I worked at Herman Miller full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Inclusive culture, good benefits, competitive salary, great products, innovative design, great sustainability practices.

Cons

Recent shifts in management focus. Becoming more top-down. Ongoing internal change based on shift strategy of the company causing some longer term people to leave voluntarily, others have been let go.

"Really disappointing and sad"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Zeeland, MI
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Zeeland, MI

I have been working at Herman Miller full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

People trying their best and helping one another through the mess, Hard workers, People, People, People. Can't stress this enough the people are great

Cons

Management cares more about stock price to boost their portfolio and get bonuses, cutting the people off at the knees for the "opportunity" to save 25-35 million over the next few years. Basically killing the company.

Advice to Management

Quit focusing on the stock price; Quit hiring managers, directors and VP's and hire workers; Focus on the contract business and not on being a "design company"; Quit wasting money on pipe dreams (flagship) and fix what needs to be fixed (energy center); abandon this savings "opportunity" and focus on production inefficiency. Working 10 hour days and OT every Saturday for months wears on people; promote from within not hiring this outside people who make idiotic changes that have been tried 100 times before and then they leave in a year or two, this happens WAY too often. Just basically get out of the Design Yard and your bubble and see what is actually going on.

"Human Resources"

I have been working at Herman Miller full-time

Pros

Strong benefits and compensation package

Cons

Executive leadership is out of touch

9. "Work Team Leader"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Holland, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Holland, MI

I have been working at Herman Miller full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, family environment, and great development.

Cons

None that I can think of

Advice to Management

Keep it up

"Good story ruined by the truth"

I worked at Herman Miller full-time

Pros

Pays well compared to market, excellent benefits, good work/life balance (can only speak to office setting), some really smart progressive thinkers being hired in

Cons

CEO who still runs the balance sheet and not the org, many decisions made due to short term financials as opposed to long term goals, leadership not aligned nor working together towards corporate objectives, many highly tenured people resistant to change or new hires with proved skillsets, constant change and restructuring

Advice to Management

You have become too myopic as a leadership team and make decisions to protect the utopia you have in your bubble as opposed to serving the good of all your employees. You need to lead your business, not just your quarterly financials, and run the business like you are actually in charge as opposed to letting disparate business units do what they want.