Highmark Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great career move"

Current Employee - Strategy Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Strategy Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Highmark full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I find Highmark to be a company of integrity and am proud to work here and support its mission. I trust leadership and there is a clear commitment to making it a better place to work. I have seen many positive changes in culture, technology, and strategy in my time working here.  There are always opportunities to advance my career and people that care about each other. Good pay, health benefits, 401k, and PTO.

Cons

We still have a lot of work to do to enhance our technology which can be limiting. The industry will remain stressful as healthcare is demanding and lots of fundamental industry change is needed. As a healthcare company I would like to have the best healthcare benefits package available at low cost; in my time here employee health insurance has become either more expensive for same coverage or same price for less coverage and parental leave is fairly minimal.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep focused on the strategy and the people that are supporting it.

"Nice people. Awful bureacracy"

Current Employee - Data Engineer
    Current Employee - Data Engineer

I have been working at Highmark full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work-from-home, flexibility. Good yearly raises and bonuses.

Cons

Corporate bureacracy. IT policies that restrict creativity. 400 forms to fill out to get anything done. Nearly impossible to be creative. Even though you can work-from-home, you basically have to work 12 hours a day to be successful at anything, due to slowness of systems and navigating the bureacracy.

Advice to Management

As someone who develops analytics using tools such as Python, SAS, Tableau, etc, it is nearly impossible to be creative here. The enterprise data warehouse data dictionary hasn't been updated in years. The IT policies adopted by our sister company, Highmark Health Solutions are so hairbrained and restrictive, that you need to fill out a multiple page form for basically anything, then you get an email three weeks later by some random admin pointing out how you're violating x, y, and z HMHS IT policy by doing what your management told you to do, yet our security system is based on an insecure decade old Java applet that only runs in legacy Internet Explorer, and our service request catalog runs on Flash which was deprecated years ago for its known security issues. IRONY. All information on how to navigate any of these forms are housed on random sharepoint sites that aren't searchable because you probably don't have access to them (yet are expected to know what information they contain).

Management likes to keep the developers in project management meetings half the day, while claiming to be "agile". Requirements are never set in stone. We buy any random software that includes the terms AI or Enterprise-grade in the description, even if it doesn't work (especially once hamstrung by HMHS IT Policy).

3. "Great Place to work!"

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Highmark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Work/Life Balance
    - Rewards/Recognition
    - Opportunities for advancement/development

Cons

- Some dated workspaces and technology

Advice to Management

- Manage out underperformers
    - Provide more training options

"More work than pay in a Unprofessional atmosphere."

I worked at Highmark full-time

Pros

You can learn insurance benefits

Cons

Lack of professionalism, horrible immature staff, extremely poor management, poor training , unprofessional environment and lack of responsibility by upper management and poor human resources, Please don't expect this company to practice what they preach/teach when it comes to professionalism and if you have a friend in management your surely protected. Be sure to pay attention to the current workers complaining and bad mouthing management as unfortunately the complaints are true, listen while in training for the inconsistency that they later blame staff for even though its poor training. I could go on but no need.

Advice to Management

Find better management/trainers/ and evaluate the horrific training.

5. "Nice people, Slow to Change"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Highmark full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People
    Comp
    Opportunity to Grow
    Make an impact on others

Cons

Process
    Comp equity
    Speed to Market

Advice to Management

None

"Customer Service"

I worked at Highmark full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They have a great employee cafeteria lol

Cons

You have to fit into their cookie cutter ideals
    They hire you as a temp first and then see how you work out and if you fit in

7. "Great people who work hard for a Company that cares"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Highmark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is focused on achieving results which includes making its people feel valued.

As an insurer, the company is redefining what it’s means and how to bring value to its member customers.

Cons

Office space is old and teams don’t always sit near or with each other.

Advice to Management

Remove roadblocks for your employees.

8. "Good mission"

I have been working at Highmark full-time

Pros

Like the company’s values and the people are nice.

Cons

My commute is not always fun.

"Good people doing good things"

Current Employee - Director in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Director in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Highmark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Highmark's culture has evolved and continues to do so. The first priority was to define (or redefine) the noble mission with which everyone aligns and senior leadership has done a really solid job of this.

The financial turnaround involved all sorts of initiatives, but it was the reinvention of the culture that enabled the changes that keep this large diverse organization financially healthy. Disruptive innovation and a relentless pursuit to transform healthcare is front and center and this legacy organization is thinking and acting more like an insurgent than an incumbent which is the most enjoyable part of working here.

From my vantage point this gives everyone in the organization a shared ambition and purpose

Ways of working.

Highmark is a stronger competitors, rewards better innovators and is faster to respond to changes in the market.

Cons

The work we do to change member experience isn't always easy and we have a lot of challenges ahead in order to deliver. We also still have a lot of work to do in order to break apart the complexity. Some areas have very heavy bureaucracy and are loaded with antique processes.

Advice to Management

Stay the course. Be relentless in bringing in top talent.

"Care manager"

Current Employee - Care Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Care Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Highmark full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work from home benefitsare good

Cons

Unable to train employees well to do their job well. Think twice too many chiefs

Advice to Management

I have nothing to say.