Highmark Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great career move"

Current Employee - Strategy Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Strategy Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Highmark full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I find Highmark to be a company of integrity and am proud to work here and support its mission. I trust leadership and there is a clear commitment to making it a better place to work. I have seen many positive changes in culture, technology, and strategy in my time working here.  There are always opportunities to advance my career and people that care about each other. Good pay, health benefits, 401k, and PTO.

Cons

We still have a lot of work to do to enhance our technology which can be limiting. The industry will remain stressful as healthcare is demanding and lots of fundamental industry change is needed. As a healthcare company I would like to have the best healthcare benefits package available at low cost; in my time here employee health insurance has become either more expensive for same coverage or same price for less coverage and parental leave is fairly minimal.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep focused on the strategy and the people that are supporting it.

2. "Highmark"

Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Highmark full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits package, peers. Location, size

Cons

Growing pains, size, work life balance

Advice to Management

Employee appreciation

3. "Great Employer! Grass isnt always greener on the other side"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Highmark full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexibility with WFH
    Great company benefits (401k, health benefits, wellness, etc. ) all of which is Much Appreciated!)
    Free gym to employees
    I work with great senior management that really cares about your growth and work goals. They also strive to make our department and team better

Cons

HMHS sister company. Cant complete a project under 750 hours or less than 1.5 million. terrible. High turnover so we lose our project contacts as well as very knowledgeable people.

Advice to Management

President & CEO David Holmberg is great and so approachable! he know employees are special and hard workers and he is for the employee.
    Deb Rice Johnson is awesome too! she is so passionate about our stance in the industry and being advocates for healthcare.
    HR really needs to be for the employee. They take management's side over the employee even when they have proof of being harassed and bullied.
    Highmark used to be THE place to work! unfortunately certain areas have a high turn over because of lack of respect towards their employees. To me, it is till THE place to work. I love working here!

4. "Senior"

Current Employee - Senior Service Advocate
    Current Employee - Senior Service Advocate

I have been working at Highmark full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Customer service helps others.

Cons

Management needs to help more rather than sit back

5. "Salary"

Current Employee - Care Management Associate
    Current Employee - Care Management Associate

I have been working at Highmark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are great (of course)

Cons

Brand new department looking to close after less than a year. Very disorganize from switching management

"Positive place to work"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Pitts, PA
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Pitts, PA

I worked at Highmark full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great professional atmosphere, motivation to succeed by leaders and equipped with tools to successfully achieve your responsibilities.

Cons

Pay for parking if you prefer to drive into work or you pay for some type of transportation if not in walking distance.

"Highmark Outsources Its Own IT"

Former Employee - Software Engineer-II
    Former Employee - Software Engineer-II

I worked at Highmark full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Salary is better than average.

Cons

No concern for employee regards. Several people sent to hospital, or actually died, during 12/7 push to complete a phase of their legacy mod project. When no outsource company would take on the main system, they outsourced the entire IT department.

Advice to Management

Self policing of your peers would be a good place to start.

8. "Customer Advocate"

I worked at Highmark full-time

Pros

Great benefits, excellent training program

Cons

Extremely difficult to move out of customer service department, you feel like a number

"If you value your sanity don't work here"

Former Employee - Healthcare Representative in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Healthcare Representative in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Highmark full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I had medical and dental and a 401k

Cons

The job itself isn't hard you answer calls help members understand benefits, claims, etc... the supervising staff are not qualified to lead people, they treat employees with disrespect, they are not open to new ideas, and they , lose more people than they can keep, i have a BS in Health admin and i am more qualified to run the customer rep dept than the 2 chuckled heads who are running it now. they demand mandatory OT then they call off or work from home, the programs to submit complaints, document calls, etc, are so jumbled in their CSD system, they spend billions of dollars on a program that sucks and they could have gotten it done better if they hired the right IT programmers to begin with. you would think a billion dollar company like highmark that offers plans accross the east coast would have a better quality and efficiency to meet medicare standards, if you think they do its wrong they don't

Advice to Management

start hiring managers who are qualified to do their job and don't bully their employees into OT, and hire people who actually know how to lead. start choosing people by education and not experience because just because someone meets stats, and phone goals of the phones doesn't mean they have the leadership skills needed to do the job they need the education too. start updating your computer systems its 2019! we have the tech to make programs run more efficiently i wouldn't have 5 mins of ACW(after call work) if i didn't have to write a damn novel to submit one complaint

"Nice people. Awful bureacracy"

Current Employee - Data Engineer
    Current Employee - Data Engineer

I have been working at Highmark full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work-from-home, flexibility. Good yearly raises and bonuses.

Cons

Corporate bureacracy. IT policies that restrict creativity. 400 forms to fill out to get anything done. Nearly impossible to be creative. Even though you can work-from-home, you basically have to work 12 hours a day to be successful at anything, due to slowness of systems and navigating the bureacracy.

Advice to Management

As someone who develops analytics using tools such as Python, SAS, Tableau, etc, it is nearly impossible to be creative here. The enterprise data warehouse data dictionary hasn't been updated in years. The IT policies adopted by our sister company, Highmark Health Solutions are so hairbrained and restrictive, that you need to fill out a multiple page form for basically anything, then you get an email three weeks later by some random admin pointing out how you're violating x, y, and z HMHS IT policy by doing what your management told you to do, yet our security system is based on an insecure decade old Java applet that only runs in legacy Internet Explorer, and our service request catalog runs on Flash which was deprecated years ago for its known security issues. IRONY. All information on how to navigate any of these forms are housed on random sharepoint sites that aren't searchable because you probably don't have access to them (yet are expected to know what information they contain).

Management likes to keep the developers in project management meetings half the day, while claiming to be "agile". Requirements are never set in stone. We buy any random software that includes the terms AI or Enterprise-grade in the description, even if it doesn't work (especially once hamstrung by HMHS IT Policy).