ICF Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
ICF Chairman and CEO Sudhakar Kesavan
Sudhakar Kesavan

Pros
Cons
  • Not always good work life balance (in 43 reviews)

• If ICF wants to recruit the best and the brightest, rename junior staff titles to describe the actual work we do (in 26 reviews)

"Analyst"

Current Employee - Analyst in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Analyst in Rockville, MD

I have been working at ICF full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good hours, most of the time meaningful project work.

Cons

Salary, Salary, Salary. While upper management does speak with employee's it does not seem to act on some of the systemic issues, as it will ask about the problem and then when they look for a solution they do not always consult those of which the policy effects.

Advice to Management

Look at other salaries for similar work with the area and adjust salary accordingly. Look into regional salary adjustments. Also look into those who are 100% billable on one project for extended periods of the year, as sometimes their managers will hold their careers back just so they can keep the employee on their project at a lower billing rate. It also seems like it is easier to leave the company, and come back to get a decent pay bump, it doesn't make financial sense to let a good employee who is growing business go for a few thousand per year, especially when someone walking into the company might have a higher salary doing the same job, it does not show that you value your employees.

2. "Nice place to work"

Former Employee - Associate in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Associate in Rockville, MD

I worked at ICF full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked at ICF for six years and always experienced the utmost respect from leadership, managers, and peers. If you work hard, take risks to develop your skills, and show initiative then you will be rewarded. There are ample opportunities to learn and showcase your talents through participation in brown bag events and conferences.

Cons

I was very siloed into specific tasks and wasn't always involved in the full scope of I could have added value to capture, proposal, and spending plan tasks/activities.

Advice to Management

Keep up the friendly culture! Consider exposing new consultants to the full scope of project work even if they will not ultimately perform those tasks. This can create buy-in and engagement with the work and the company overall. Further, it supports the goal for employees to 'learn the business'.

"So far so good!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at ICF full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coming to ICF was like a breath a fresh air. There is no micromanaging here. The culture here is much like a family so all opinions/suggestions want to be heard. ICF provides a laptop so the option to work from home is available. Also, the benefits start from day one. There is so much to do and learn in this company. Coffee, tea, pop corn, and oatmeal is always readily available.

Cons

Currently due to construction of he highway, the commute can be a pain depending upon where you are commuting from.

May 10, 2017 – Project Analyst

Dear currently employee, Welcome to the ICF family! We are glad to read that your experience is positive so far and that you are able to take advantage of the work from home option. We hope that ... More

"Must bill 40 hours"

Current Employee - Associate in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Associate in Rockville, MD

I have been working at ICF full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free coffee, free hot chocolate

Cons

Ridiculous billing requirements for lower level employees. We must bill 40 hours a week, but we have to go to so many meetings and do so many non-billable tasks that we have to work 50 hours to get 40 billable.
    Flex time is only for higher level employees. The only time I received flex time is when they let me work from home because of snow. Managers use flex time so much they are never in.
    No specific sick leave. Earned leave must be used for any days off, including government shutdown if you are working on a government contract.

Advice to Management

Change your billing system. You claim to want innovation, but how can we innovate when we constantly worry about how to bill the time

"Not Enough Focus on the Employees"

Former Employee - Management in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Management in Richmond, VA

I worked at ICF full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Good compensation
    - Co-workers are great
    - Work is varied

Cons

- Replacing experienced employees with younger, less experienced employees just to make numbers look better
    - Management does not care about employees
    - Not enough communication
    - Employees are increasingly held responsible for additional work with little benefit

Advice to Management

Value your employees and let them know when they are doing well. Also let them know how they can improve.

May 10, 2017 – Project Analyst

Dear former employee, Thank you for your positive feedback regarding ICF’s benefits and compensation. We have also shared your feedback and concerns regarding communication with Leadership ... More

7. "IT Specialist/Software Tester"

Former Employee - IT Specialist/QA Tester in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - IT Specialist/QA Tester in Rockville, MD

Pros

A very eco-friendly, employee and management worked well. Company's internal survey shows very positive.

Cons

Fed project oriented in majority, needs to expand business to business.

Advice to Management

Very nice and really appreciated

May 10, 2017 – Project Analyst

Thank you for the review and all star rating! We appreciate the feedback and hope you will consider working with us again in the future.

"Great company, but keep an open mind!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at ICF full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

ICF offers the opportunity to work in some areas that can make a real difference in people’s lives. Cybersecurity, Energy, Climate, Social Programs, and Transportation are just a few of the markets we serve!

Cons

ICF is not for everyone and some of our leaders are not very nice. In fact, some of our leaders are rude towards other employees. We often hear that ICF does not tolerate mean spirited people, but we continue to employ people who can be overly difficult and obnoxious. This needs to change now!

Advice to Management

Don't let the bad apples bring down this fantastic firm!

Apr 3, 2017 – Project Analyst

Dear current employee, Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review. We would welcome the opportunity to further discuss the cons you listed above. Please feel free to reach out to your ... More

9. "Long Term Employee - Very Happy"

Current Employee - Energy Advisor in Martinsville, VA
    Current Employee - Energy Advisor in Martinsville, VA

I have been working at ICF full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Room for improvement, nice staff, upper management listens to your concerns/ideas, makes you feel appreciated.

Cons

Typical workplace drama can sometimes surface.

Apr 3, 2017 – Project Analyst

Dear current employee, We are delighted to read that you are happy at work and with upper management. Thank you for the stellar review!

10. "Great HR Staff and diversity"

Current Employee - Energy Analyst in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Energy Analyst in Columbia, MD

I have been working at ICF full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working at ICF is truly a once in lifetime opportunity, ICF takes a great amount of pride in providing a diverse work environment where multiple perspectives can be formed and developed to form a solution. ICF also has an exceptionally knowledgeable and proactive HR staff in particular Adriana Brockman.

Cons

Currently there are no major cons on working here, except it would be nice to have a fully stocked pantry with snacks and drinks, but if that happened I probably would never leave. =D

Apr 3, 2017 – Project Analyst

Dear current employee, Thank you for the raving review. We will be sure to share your compliments with Adriana directly. Welcome to the ICF family!

"Easy onboarding process"

Current Employee - Regional Resource Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Regional Resource Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at ICF full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It has been an easy and seemless onboarding process and working with Liz Yee has been great!

Cons

None to report at this time,

Apr 3, 2017 – Project Analyst

Dear current employee, We are glad to hear that your onboarding process was easy and seamless. We will be sure to share your compliments directly with Liz and the onboarding team. Thank you for the ... More