Cover image for ICF

Found 1,883 of over 2K reviews

3.7
ICF President and CEO John Wasson
John Wasson

What people are saying about ICF

Join the conversation on

Consulting

411.5K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/consulting/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Employer-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=ICF~18654
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "There are great people and you can get valuable experience if you seek it out.(in 170 reviews)
  • "Good benefits and strong on(in 107 reviews)
  • "The company has a good work/life balance and seems to really care about its employees.(in 87 reviews)
  • "Lots of expertise and great colleagues(in 68 reviews)
  • "The culture is good but varies from office to office.(in 56 reviews)
Cons
  • "low pay; raises not equivalent to increases in responsibilities and promotions; some tedious tasks(in 87 reviews)
  • "Low salaries and compensations not enough to keep people(in 86 reviews)
  • "Poor management and do not care about wellbeing of employees(in 71 reviews)
  • "Terrible managers and leaders with no actual skills(in 47 reviews)
  • "No bonuses and not much hike you will get.(in 29 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of ICF and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0

Amazing

Nov 4, 2022 - Partner
    Business Outlook

Pros

Everything is great - no worries

Cons

Nothing - all is very good

Employee Experience Community Manager

Thank you for sharing your experience and giving us a five-star review! We hope you continue to belong, grow, and thrive at ICF. Make sure you're following us on Instagram (@thisisicf) to see and read stories about your coworkers and our culture. - HS

2. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Management is the problem

Dec 2, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Remote work, flexible work schedules.

Cons

Management makes promises they cannot keep. I was hired to do Job A but did Job B for the entire time I was employed (almost two years). Job B paid 10-20k more than Job A. I was told I would be promoted to Job B. Three different levels of management promised me. It never happened. After months of back and forth they gave me a small raise but never addressed the underlying issue. As part of the negotiation for the raise, I was promised they would forward my name for promotion. I was explicitly told that the LOB lead was aware of the situation and supported the promotion. They didn’t even forward my name and then denied they had ever said that. Great employees do not stay at ICF because they are not valued. Great employees leave and move on to better positions because they can. Meanwhile, middle managers remain at ICF where they have been promoted to their level of incompetence because there is no accountability.

4 people found this review helpful
  3. Join the ICF team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 2.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Rude Management Fosters a Toxic Work Environment

Oct 27, 2022 - Cyber Coordinator in Fairfax, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

You meet a diverse range of people at ICF, and do develop strong relationships with some of your coworkers. Teamwork and good team dynamics are encouraged. It is also a good place to network, as ICF holds a prominent position amongst government contractors. Benefits are ok. You get ample PTO, but you do not get any sick days.

Cons

The culture of this company is that the client is king. ICF insists on appearing as perfect and professional to the client as possible, at the cost of not investing in their own employees professional development. and not giving employees clear answers to questions such as remote work policy. Senior Management is rude and unapproachable, and can act unprofessional. The senior level management did not invest in me or communicate with me until their was a misunderstanding. They handled the misunderstanding unprofessionally and even threatened to lay me off. Only at the end of my tenure in my role did my team develop good synergy and dynamics, at first the style was very vague and micromanagement was the norm. Lower level management was at times given stressful and unreal expectations by senior level management and this led to communication inconsistencies and a general stressful environment for everyone. Some lower level managers would micromanage their employees, which produced a stressful and at times toxic environment.

3 people found this review helpful

Employee Experience Community Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We’re glad to hear you’ve found belonging through a supportive team. I think it’s certainly what makes ICF unique for many. We also strive to create an environment where employees feel this support across all levels of those they work with, from teammates to managers. ICF expects people managers to create an environment that fosters belonging, embraces diversity, and prioritizes fairness and inclusivity at all levels. One of our core values is speaking up, and having open and honest conversations—even when it’s hard. Therefore, we encourage feedback and hope that you take the time to include this in the employee-wide survey, as well as take the opportunity to address your needs and set expectations as a contributing member of the team with your manager. It sounds like some of the concerns you had were mitigated, and your experience has improved over time. We hope that is the case so you can continue to belong, grow, and thrive at ICF with your work and your teammates.

5. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to build, maybe not the best for short term growth

Nov 30, 2022 - Appian Developer in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Exceptional technical staff. Very supportive learning opportunities for certifications and technical knowledge transfers "brown bags" for just about any tech you may be interested in. Strong client base for both large and small projects.

Cons

Higher levels of management can be a bit tone deaf. very difficult to get pay grade increases. You may find yourself wearing many hats within one or more projects at a time. Often tasked with learning entirely new technologies that often do not progress you in their desired career path structures.

6. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Respectful and smart co-workers, can wfh

Nov 22, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I lucked into working with a great manager and team. People in the larger group I'm in are all smart, respectful, and seem to enjoy their jobs. I'm in the environmental consulting part of ICF which means a lot of folks get to go outside for their work, so that helps boost mood/morale. I was hired on as a hybrid position, but I've been working mostly remote. This is my favorite thing about the job and company, that I can control when I go in (to a degree). So much easier to coordinate life stuff, and my cat is always nearby purring. I work 40 hours a week, haven't been asked to work more, and don't feel pressure to. Not micromanaged, pretty autonomous now that I got the hang of things. I liked the onboarding process, it was very helpful, since I've never worked for such a large company. Benefits and PTO seem ok. If you participate in the wellness program, you can knock a bit off your deductible (through an HRA). They'll pay for industry relevant course/conferences/professional memberships. Good 50:50 ratio of male/female in entry level to mid-management level. I feel respected here, as a woman. Always negotiate during the hiring process, I increased my salary offer this way.

Cons

-Major con is billable hours, and the hassle of tracking/entering into the time program when you work multiple projects at the same time. Knew this when I was hired, I still will always hate the concept of billable hours with the heat of 1000 billion suns. -The salary/promotion/review process is opaque and mysterious. -Wish there was more diversity as you get above mid-management (age/gender/culture/ethnicity/etc etc). This isn't an issue at lower levels in my group though. -My office is downtown in a large city, so I have to pay my own parking. The cheap parking garage a block away is creepy to walk to when it gets darker, and I'd much rather park in the garage attached to the office building, but it's expensive!! -It should be casual (in reason) instead of business casual in offices, when you clients won't ever see you/not in a meeting.

1 person found this review helpful

Employee Experience Community Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We strive to create an environment where people feel they have balance in their work life, and it’s great to hear you have the flexibility and autonomy. Diversity and inclusion are a continuous, ongoing journey for us, and can take time in a large organization. While we are proud to have received awards recognizing our efforts in diversity and inclusion, we are constantly reevaluating our team structures, taking steps to close gaps, and identify data-driven solutions to invest in hiring people with dimensions of difference. We have established Mentor Connect to develop two-way professional relationships to build connections. Join programs like this and our Employee Community Networks to foster inclusion, advance skillsets, and inspire career growth among all employees. Have you addressed your parking concerns with anyone? We'd recommend reaching out to your HR business partner to see if there is anything that can be done to improve this experience. Consulting certainly has its challenges when meeting client expectations, including tracking billable hours. We encourage you to take part in quarterly Impact Conversations, two-way discussions where you and your manager can discuss real-time challenges and opportunities. Impact Conversations is our approach for managing performance, contributions, and career growth. - KZ

7. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place but needs some improvement

Nov 7, 2022 - Analyst
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great team. Rewarding work. Autonomy. Pay is decent.

Cons

Benefits are quite expensive for those of us with families. Also, those in charge of referral bonuses will find any reason for you to not get paid. I had a referral start on time, do great work, and they're still employed but the man in charge of paying out referral bonuses refuses to pay out my bonus because this (internal, permanent) employee works less than full-time due to ICF not meeting his salary requirements. This, despite the fact that my referral is a massive contributor to our project. In fact he eventually just ignored me after multiple attempts to solve it or compromise for a lesser bonus amount. That's the sort of thing that will make you either stop helping or leave altogether so I suggest it improves.

Employee Experience Community Manager

Thank you for bringing your talent to our team. Sorry to hear this is causing frustration. You can find the bonus eligibility requirements on the HR Hiring section of the intranet. Employee referral bonuses are generally provided for full-time, permanent hires at ICF (and most companies). Employee referrals remain our largest source of hire every year for all hires. We’re so grateful that so many people want to refer their peers to have the opportunity to experience the culture, people, and work they get to enjoy at ICF. We hope this helps clarify things for you and we hope you continue to recommend people to ICF. -HS

8. 4.0

Good work, medium benefits

Nov 28, 2022 - Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Remote work options, socially conscience project work

Cons

New "reward" program gives employees access to a catalog of items and not cash. While cash incentives can be taxed, the catalog options are often less than desirable. They also took away the holiday for the day after Thanksgiving in order to "give" us Juneteenth as a holiday. In an attempt to boost their DEI credibility, they "gave" us a holiday by taking one away.

1 person found this review helpful

Employee Experience Community Manager

Thank you for sharing your review. Being able to work remotely is a great perk that I know a lot of ICFers, myself included, truly enjoy. The project work at ICF makes an impact on the world around us in so many ways and it makes me proud to see the company live out our purpose to "build a prosperous and more resilient world for all". Diversity and inclusion are a continuous, ongoing journey for us, and making Juneteenth a US fixed holiday is only part of that. For US-based employees, each year there are 10 holidays that include both fixed (Juneteenth, Independence Day, Thanksgiving, etc.) and floating. The total number didn't change, just the day included in the set of fixed days. I'd recommend you plan to use a floating holiday for the day after Thanksgiving each year to ensure you have that 4-day (or more if you add PTO) break. If you haven't yet, I encourage you to take part in some of the programming offered by our Employee Community Networks who work to foster inclusion, advance skillsets, and inspire career growth among all employees. -LL

9. 5.0
    Current Employee

Not a bad place to start

Dec 1, 2022 - Account Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Manageable pay. Work from home.

Cons

Understaffed, low wages, management can be hit or miss.

10. 5.0

UX Designer

Dec 7, 2022 - Senior UX Designer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great company, culture, worklife balance,

Cons

no real cons at this time

11. 4.0
    Former Employee

Smart colleagues

Nov 30, 2022 - Director
    Business Outlook

Pros

Teams at ICF include smart savvy highly educated professionals.

Cons

It’s a consulting firm- so high utilization is always the highest priority

Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,883 Reviews
</>Embed

ICF Reviews FAQs

ICF has an overall rating of 3.7 out of 5, based on over 2,062 reviews left anonymously by employees. 76% of employees would recommend working at ICF to a friend and 73% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 2% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, ICF employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.3 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at ICF. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

76% of ICF employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated ICF 3.7 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.8 for culture and values and 3.7 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at ICF to be culture, benefits, career development and the cons to be management, compensation.

Popular Careers with ICF Job Seekers