ICF Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.6

1. Featured Interview

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at ICF (Fairfax, VA) in November 2016.

Interview

The interview process I went through was fantastic. My recruiter was thorough and highly organized. I never had to worry where I stood or what was going on, she always updated me on whatever was going on. I also felt very prepared throughout my interview process thanks to my recruiter.

Interview Questions

• Why are you looking to leave your company?   2 Answers

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ICF (Fairfax, VA).

Interview

Took 4+ weeks, I had an initial screening, two back-to-back phone interviews, and an in-person interview in their Fairfax office. Everyone was very friendly, however they said they would get back to me about a decision and did not contact me for 2 weeks. When I followed up, they immediately told me they decided on another candidate.

Interview Questions

• What are 3 things you bring to the team that are different from other candidates?   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Interview

After sending in an application in October 2016, they scheduled a phone interview in early December and I was then asked to come in for a final round interview in mid-January. Up until the final round interview, the process was relatively smooth and pleasant, and I enjoyed the over-the-phone interview with a current employee.

In mid-January I traveled to the Fairfax office for an all-day interview and met a number of people, from lower-level to senior employees. In the interview they told a group of us interviewees that there were multiple positions open and we should hear from them within two weeks (typical). I never heard back, despite sending individual thank you letters through the mail and sending three follow-up emails to the HR coordinator January-March.

I would expect a large consulting firm to not follow-up after a phone interview or even a short in-person interview, but the lack of decency to even send a rejection email astounded me considering the amount of resources they devoted to scheduling a six hour interview in their Headquarters. Since interviewing, I've spoken with multiple former employees who are happy they left, citing increasing disorganization and hierarchical tension.

Interview Questions

• What are your greatest strengths and weaknesses?
      Why do you want to work at ICF?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ICF (Atlanta, GA) in June 2017.

Interview

The interview was exactly 30 mins and the time was mostly spent describing the position and all that it will require. It was a behavioral interview so there we a few scenario based questions. I would suggest pulling from all of your experiences, whether work related or not, and actually writing them down and identifying how you handled it and why- just to prepare yourself. The conversation was very comfortable and it didn't make me nervous at all. Overall it was a great interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe one of the challenges you faced in your last position, and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question

Contract Administrator Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ICF in June 2017.

Interview

I applied online and received an email from Lauren Price for a telephone interview. Lauren gave me 2 dates from which to choose and she was unwilling to work with my availability schedule. After my interview with Lauren someone else contacted me for another interview with someone else in the Contracts Dept. These interviews took place mid June and to date I've received no reply to an inquiry email I sent to check on the status of my application. Lauren Price seemingly dropped off of the planet. HR Recruiters are the company's' front line and if they can't be bothered with updating candidates on the stats of their applications it sends a bad message about the company as a whole.

Business Processing Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Martinsville, VA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at ICF (Martinsville, VA) in June 2017.

Interview

The day after I submitted my resume, I received a phone call. We set up an interview date and time. It was a relaxed interview with the Manager in his office.

Interview Questions

• How well do I handle "CHANGE"?   1 Answer

Computer Science Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ICF (Washington, DC) in June 2017.

Interview

It was a standard interview. Interviewer informed me of company and job requirements. It was pretty easy going and I learned a lot about the company during the process. As long as one prepares on should be fine.

Copy Editor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ICF in May 2017.

Interview

HR rep #1 contacts you via e-mail and phone to discuss your interest; tells you it's your job to call into the phone meeting for your own interview (in my experience, companies which do this tend to be disorganized and unprofessional). You're told an e-mail will follow from HR rep #2, whose name you're not given (clearly, it takes two people to set up an interview...with two other people whose names you will also not be given. What could go wrong?).

When HR rep #2 didn't contact me, I had assumed they thought better of this procedure. B/C of the odd setup, I was uncertain how to proceed, so I waited for interview day.

On that day, two mins past interview time, my phone hadn't rung, so I e-mailed HR rep #1 explaining no e-mail was received (granted, I perhaps should have done this sooner, but I was simply hesitant to make a move considering the bizarre two-HR-rep/no names given setup).

Seven mins later, HR rep #2 e-mails me for the first time, asking why I've not called in. I tell HR #2 that no information had been sent. She sends me a 2nd e-mail, telling me "Here it is again." The "again" being a clear lie considering these two e-mails came through immediately.

The interview seemed to go well. The women who interviewed me were very professional and seemed to be aware that the HR dept has issues. HR however continued their streak: I never heard back, and, when I reached out, was told they wouldn't be proceeding with me "in the interview process" -- a phrase which made no sense since interviews were complete by this time. This level of ineptitude is astounding.

All in all, I'd say the company is probably a good one; the HR dept. completely inept, unprofessional, and unable to recognize what their duties are. They are not serving the company well, no doubt.

Interview Questions

• The interview itself -- which did not include either of the two above people -- was quite nice. The interviewer laid out her interview approach and outlined what we'd discuss and in what order.

The only two questions I recall were something akin to, "How do you approach a writer when you see errors in their work?," and there was another about learning/using editorial style guides.   1 Answer

ICF Response

Jun 19, 2017 – Project Analyst

We apologize you had an unfavorable experience during the recruiting process. Sometimes process can break down and we regret you had this experience. We pride ourselves as a reputable HR... More

Technical Expert Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ICF (Fairfax, VA) in May 2017.

Interview

Inconvenient and a waste of time. I mentioned a day during the week when I was off, but they wanted another day. My impression is that they do not consider your time at all. I had Friday off and they said it would need to be a Wednesday or Thursday because the interview would take approximately 2.5 hours. I told them: fine, please just as late as possible on one of those days. They chose Thursday at 1 pm (middle of day). I had to take off another day just to go. Fine. I lost another day's pay just to meet with them. They mentioned the job was 30 hrs per week, salary approx 85,000 a year and I could work from home. All of that fit with my other projects happening. During the interview, I met with people that were pleasant and easy going. After the interview, the HR rep, told me they closed out the job and didn't know what they wanted. They also were going to shift people around internally to fill different roles. Basically, I heard a lot of reasons why I shouldn't have even gone there because they still needed to figure out what was going on internally. Big waste of time. This was actually the 2nd interview. For the first interview, it was with other HR reps at columbia, md branch. After the first round of interview (meeting approximately 5 people each time), they took 3 weeks to get back to me . They stated: I am sorry it has taken so long to get back in touch. I wanted to let you know that the team really enjoyed meeting with you, but I have closed the position. An internal candidate coming off contract has stepped into the position. I am sorry the timing did not work out. I will hold on to your resume for future openings. Thanks,

Both of these interviews were a waste of time. It sounded like they really wanted you, but then they closed the position not even for an outside candidate. They wasted my time, costed me money, and were inconvenient with timing for second interview. I can only imagine how it is once you work with them. They seem flaky, indirect, indecisive, and unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• If you could go back in time, who would you like to meet? What era would be your favorite? What is your future goals? Where do you see yourself in the future? Why do you want to work for ICF? What is your experience with Air Quality? Are you familiar with our current program with respect to this position?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ICF (Fairfax, VA) in May 2017.

Interview

I initially applied online and was contacted about a week and a half later for a phone interview. I completed the screener and within a few days was called back to schedule an in-person interview. The in-person was at ICF's main office in Fairfax and was quite long--I was on-site for 3.5 hours meeting the team I would work with. While that was something of a marathon, it paid off. The next day, my recruiter called back and extended an offer. The total interview time from application to offer was 3-4 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in ICF?   1 Answer

Energy Efficiency Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at ICF (Columbia, MD) in May 2017.

Interview

I was referred by an internal employee. The initial email contact occurred about a month after the referral. The immediate next steps were very clear in the email. The HR staff scheduled the initial interview promptly and answered my questions about the meeting time and who the interviewer was. After my first interview, I received a follow up from HR a day later. Appx. 2-3 days later, I was invited to a second interview with a group and was provided a conference number. Unfortunately, the HR staff provided the incorrect number but it was resolved during my call after I contacted HR. I received a final decision about 3 days later via email and phone and was asked to chat about the job terms a day later. Both interviews were behavioral. The entire process took 2 weeks.

Interview Questions

• How do you manage competing priorities?   Answer Question
    • What is your favorite Excel function?   Answer Question
    • The work can sometimes be mundane; how will you cope with the repetitive nature of some of your tasks?   Answer Question