ICF Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.6

1. Featured Interview

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at ICF (Fairfax, VA) in November 2016.

Interview

The interview process I went through was fantastic. My recruiter was thorough and highly organized. I never had to worry where I stood or what was going on, she always updated me on whatever was going on. I also felt very prepared throughout my interview process thanks to my recruiter.

Interview Questions

• Why are you looking to leave your company?   2 Answers

Technical Expert Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ICF (Fairfax, VA) in May 2017.

Interview

Inconvenient and a waste of time. I mentioned a day during the week when I was off, but they wanted another day. My impression is that they do not consider your time at all. I had Friday off and they said it would need to be a Wednesday or Thursday because the interview would take approximately 2.5 hours. I told them: fine, please just as late as possible on one of those days. They chose Thursday at 1 pm (middle of day). I had to take off another day just to go. Fine. I lost another day's pay just to meet with them. They mentioned the job was 30 hrs per week, salary approx 85,000 a year and I could work from home. All of that fit with my other projects happening. During the interview, I met with people that were pleasant and easy going. After the interview, the HR rep, told me they closed out the job and didn't know what they wanted. They also were going to shift people around internally to fill different roles. Basically, I heard a lot of reasons why I shouldn't have even gone there because they still needed to figure out what was going on internally. Big waste of time. This was actually the 2nd interview. For the first interview, it was with other HR reps at columbia, md branch. After the first round of interview (meeting approximately 5 people each time), they took 3 weeks to get back to me . They stated: I am sorry it has taken so long to get back in touch. I wanted to let you know that the team really enjoyed meeting with you, but I have closed the position. An internal candidate coming off contract has stepped into the position. I am sorry the timing did not work out. I will hold on to your resume for future openings. Thanks,

Both of these interviews were a waste of time. It sounded like they really wanted you, but then they closed the position not even for an outside candidate. They wasted my time, costed me money, and were inconvenient with timing for second interview. I can only imagine how it is once you work with them. They seem flaky, indirect, indecisive, and unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• If you could go back in time, who would you like to meet? What era would be your favorite? What is your future goals? Where do you see yourself in the future? Why do you want to work for ICF? What is your experience with Air Quality? Are you familiar with our current program with respect to this position?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ICF (Fairfax, VA) in May 2017.

Interview

I initially applied online and was contacted about a week and a half later for a phone interview. I completed the screener and within a few days was called back to schedule an in-person interview. The in-person was at ICF's main office in Fairfax and was quite long--I was on-site for 3.5 hours meeting the team I would work with. While that was something of a marathon, it paid off. The next day, my recruiter called back and extended an offer. The total interview time from application to offer was 3-4 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in ICF?   1 Answer

Energy Efficiency Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at ICF (Columbia, MD) in May 2017.

Interview

I was referred by an internal employee. The initial email contact occurred about a month after the referral. The immediate next steps were very clear in the email. The HR staff scheduled the initial interview promptly and answered my questions about the meeting time and who the interviewer was. After my first interview, I received a follow up from HR a day later. Appx. 2-3 days later, I was invited to a second interview with a group and was provided a conference number. Unfortunately, the HR staff provided the incorrect number but it was resolved during my call after I contacted HR. I received a final decision about 3 days later via email and phone and was asked to chat about the job terms a day later. Both interviews were behavioral. The entire process took 2 weeks.

Interview Questions

• How do you manage competing priorities?   Answer Question
    • What is your favorite Excel function?   Answer Question
    • The work can sometimes be mundane; how will you cope with the repetitive nature of some of your tasks?   Answer Question

Copy Editor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ICF in May 2017.

Interview

HR rep #1 contacts you via e-mail and phone to discuss your interest; tells you it's your job to call into the phone meeting for your own interview (in my experience, companies which do this tend to be disorganized and unprofessional). You're told an e-mail will follow from HR rep #2, whose name you're not given (clearly, it takes two people to set up an interview...with two other people whose names you will also not be given. What could go wrong?).

When HR rep #2 didn't contact me, I had assumed they thought better of this procedure. B/C of the odd setup, I was uncertain how to proceed, so I waited for interview day.

On that day, two mins past interview time, my phone hadn't rung, so I e-mailed HR rep #1 explaining no e-mail was received (granted, I perhaps should have done this sooner, but I was simply hesitant to make a move considering the bizarre two-HR-rep/no names given setup).

Seven mins later, HR rep #2 e-mails me for the first time, asking why I've not called in. I tell HR #2 that no information had been sent. She sends me a 2nd e-mail, telling me "Here it is again." The "again" being a clear lie considering these two e-mails came through immediately.

The interview seemed to go well. The women who interviewed me were very professional and seemed to be aware that the HR dept has issues. HR however continued their streak: I never heard back, and, when I reached out, was told they wouldn't be proceeding with me "in the interview process" -- a phrase which made no sense since interviews were complete by this time. This level of ineptitude is astounding.

All in all, I'd say the company is probably a good one; the HR dept. completely inept, unprofessional, and unable to recognize what their duties are. They are not serving the company well, no doubt.

Interview Questions

• The interview itself -- which did not include either of the two above people -- was quite nice. The interviewer laid out her interview approach and outlined what we'd discuss and in what order.

The only two questions I recall were something akin to, "How do you approach a writer when you see errors in their work?," and there was another about learning/using editorial style guides.
      1 Answer

ICF Response

Jun 19, 2017 – Project Analyst

We apologize you had an unfavorable experience during the recruiting process. Sometimes process can break down and we regret you had this experience. We pride ourselves as a reputable HR ... More

Environmental Planner Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at ICF (Irvine, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

Before I interviewed, I reached out to several employees who were alumni from my university. One of them referred to the regional recruiter, who gave me an over-the-phone informational summary of the position title that I had inquired about. A week or so after, I interviewed in-person with the recruiter, a project manager (my supervisor), and two other senior employees. After the interview, the recruiter contacted me weekly to update me that they were still interviewing other candidates and I would have a final answer the following week.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about our company?   1 Answer

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at ICF.

Interview

From first conversation to accepted offer, the process took 2-2.5 months. My hiring manager and POC on the recruiting team were both professional and communicative throughout the process. I had two phone conversations and two in-person interviews, during which I met eight members of the department. This helped me form a robust picture of the personalities and top-level priorities I would encounter upon joining the team. All of my interviewers were receptive to my questions and committed to helping me understand the role. About two weeks passed between my first- and second-round in-person interviews, but I received my offer very quickly after the second one. This process was extremely smooth and bolstered my confidence in the company as a whole.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in five years?   1 Answer

Project Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ICF in April 2017.

Interview

Very quick and organized interview process. I had a brief phone screen with the recruiter, followed by a group interview the week after. The group interview was primarily conversational with some behavioral questions thrown in. Two days after the group interview I had a phone call with the hiring manager, which was also conversational. Everyone was very friendly and professional.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time you used critical thinking to solve a problem.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at ICF (Irvine, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

It was simple and not as intimidating as other interviews I had been through. The first call is from a recruiter who asks you a series of generic questions that help them determine if you would be fit for a second interview. Second interview is in person or Skype depending on location.

Video Producer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at ICF (Rockville, MD) in April 2017.

Interview

met with the creative team, talked about my past experience and how I view clients and working with creatives and different size budgets. how past experience would fit in with opportunities here and how I like collaboration. What area would I like to grow in

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ICF.

Interview

First interview is over the phone, second in-person, and than the third/last interview is also in-person with project leads and project managers. All interviews are scheduled very promptly and professionally. The team at ICF is great and very welcoming; interviews can be very informative along with a memorable experience.