ICF Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.6

1. Featured Interview

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at ICF (Fairfax, VA) in November 2016.

Interview

The interview process I went through was fantastic. My recruiter was thorough and highly organized. I never had to worry where I stood or what was going on, she always updated me on whatever was going on. I also felt very prepared throughout my interview process thanks to my recruiter.

Interview Questions

• Why are you looking to leave your company?   2 Answers

Technical Expert Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ICF (Fairfax, VA) in May 2017.

Interview

Inconvenient and a waste of time. I mentioned a day during the week when I was off, but they wanted another day. My impression is that they do not consider your time at all. I had Friday off and they said it would need to be a Wednesday or Thursday because the interview would take approximately 2.5 hours. I told them: fine, please just as late as possible on one of those days. They chose Thursday at 1 pm (middle of day). I had to take off another day just to go. Fine. I lost another day's pay just to meet with them. They mentioned the job was 30 hrs per week, salary approx 85,000 a year and I could work from home. All of that fit with my other projects happening. During the interview, I met with people that were pleasant and easy going. After the interview, the HR rep, told me they closed out the job and didn't know what they wanted. They also were going to shift people around internally to fill different roles. Basically, I heard a lot of reasons why I shouldn't have even gone there because they still needed to figure out what was going on internally. Big waste of time. This was actually the 2nd interview. For the first interview, it was with other HR reps at columbia, md branch. After the first round of interview (meeting approximately 5 people each time), they took 3 weeks to get back to me . They stated: I am sorry it has taken so long to get back in touch. I wanted to let you know that the team really enjoyed meeting with you, but I have closed the position. An internal candidate coming off contract has stepped into the position. I am sorry the timing did not work out. I will hold on to your resume for future openings. Thanks,

Both of these interviews were a waste of time. It sounded like they really wanted you, but then they closed the position not even for an outside candidate. They wasted my time, costed me money, and were inconvenient with timing for second interview. I can only imagine how it is once you work with them. They seem flaky, indirect, indecisive, and unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• If you could go back in time, who would you like to meet? What era would be your favorite? What is your future goals? Where do you see yourself in the future? Why do you want to work for ICF? What is your experience with Air Quality? Are you familiar with our current program with respect to this position?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ICF (Fairfax, VA) in May 2017.

Interview

I initially applied online and was contacted about a week and a half later for a phone interview. I completed the screener and within a few days was called back to schedule an in-person interview. The in-person was at ICF's main office in Fairfax and was quite long--I was on-site for 3.5 hours meeting the team I would work with. While that was something of a marathon, it paid off. The next day, my recruiter called back and extended an offer. The total interview time from application to offer was 3-4 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in ICF?   1 Answer

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at ICF.

Interview

From first conversation to accepted offer, the process took 2-2.5 months. My hiring manager and POC on the recruiting team were both professional and communicative throughout the process. I had two phone conversations and two in-person interviews, during which I met eight members of the department. This helped me form a robust picture of the personalities and top-level priorities I would encounter upon joining the team. All of my interviewers were receptive to my questions and committed to helping me understand the role. About two weeks passed between my first- and second-round in-person interviews, but I received my offer very quickly after the second one. This process was extremely smooth and bolstered my confidence in the company as a whole.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in five years?   1 Answer

Project Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ICF in April 2017.

Interview

Very quick and organized interview process. I had a brief phone screen with the recruiter, followed by a group interview the week after. The group interview was primarily conversational with some behavioral questions thrown in. Two days after the group interview I had a phone call with the hiring manager, which was also conversational. Everyone was very friendly and professional.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time you used critical thinking to solve a problem.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at ICF (Irvine, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

It was simple and not as intimidating as other interviews I had been through. The first call is from a recruiter who asks you a series of generic questions that help them determine if you would be fit for a second interview. Second interview is in person or Skype depending on location.

Video Producer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at ICF (Rockville, MD) in April 2017.

Interview

met with the creative team, talked about my past experience and how I view clients and working with creatives and different size budgets. how past experience would fit in with opportunities here and how I like collaboration. What area would I like to grow in

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ICF.

Interview

First interview is over the phone, second in-person, and than the third/last interview is also in-person with project leads and project managers. All interviews are scheduled very promptly and professionally. The team at ICF is great and very welcoming; interviews can be very informative along with a memorable experience.

Production Artist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at ICF.

Interview

I was contacted by one of ICF's recruiters who conducted a brief phone screen and set up an in-person meeting. One week later, I interviewed with another recruiter followed by a group of 3 department heads. Everyone was respectful and there were no trick questions. I received a job offer the following week and accepted.

The recruiters were great, they were informative and very responsive - I emailed one of them on a Saturday and she got back to me the same day. The entire process was quite smooth and professional, no complaints whatsoever!

Energy Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Martinsville, VA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at ICF (Martinsville, VA) in March 2017.

Interview

The hiring process was pretty straight forward. There was an initial review with a secondary phone interview that followed in the upcoming days. Everyone was extremely nice and professional during the entire process.

Interview Questions

• What were some things that I thought the program could improve upon?   Answer Question

Public Health Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ICF in March 2017.

Interview

Heard back about 10 days after applying online, and was offered a job about 2 weeks later (thanks for making the process so quick/smooth ICF)!
    A 20-min. phone screening with HR; 60min. phone interview with my hiring manager; followed by a 45 min. interview at the office, and finally a 45min. phone interview with 2 technical specialist who could potentially be remote colleagues. The interviews were mostly discussing snippets of different programs/projects, where they tried to see if I was interested/ offered skills/knowledge that matched. No curve-ball questions at all - everyone who interviewed me was relaxed and already seemed interested in my past experience and potential for growth in ICF. Don't be afraid to (politely) interject every so often, and chime in to say how a project could be similar to a previous one; or if you have little experience in that specific area, how said project still matches/aligns with skills used for a past program which may have ran similarly. Everyone was very interesting to talk to, and was open to answering my questions about their day-to-day and expectations. The whole process felt like it was as much about the 'job', as it was about making sure I'd be comfortable/would thrive in the company's culture. I really enjoyed it.

The HR recruiter was helpful and kept me updated on which stage of the interview process I was in. They also shared what to expect moving through the interviews, and made sure I'd feel prepared. After a super week of interviews, I received a job offer (about 4-5 days after my final interview).

Quick side note: If offered a job, there'll be a short video that tells you which documents you might need for the background check. In my case I found it super useful to just gather ALL of those from the start as soon as I accepted the offer, and not anticipate emails requesting them. Regardless - the whole interview/hiring process is quick and efficient. ICF balanced looking for a candidate whose skills matched ongoing/upcoming projects - while making sure projects aligned with the professional/research interests that I wanted to pursue. I'd say if applying for a research/evaluation role - create a list and KNOW the range of research areas you've worked on, along with research skills that you're very proficient in/would like to expand on (because they do offer opportunities for training).

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your resume/'xyz' experience; Tell me about yourself; What do you know about ICF/Why work with ICF; Tells us about your qualitative research skills; Are you comfortable with technical writing; Where do you see yourself in 5 years; How do you stay organized; How do you handle stressful situations; Tell us about a challenge you've experienced; What type of team setting do you like to work in?.   Answer Question