Imperva Reviews | Glassdoor

Imperva President and CEO Chris Hylen
Chris Hylen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Company in transition, lots of changes should be expected" (in 6 reviews)

• "New CEO made a lot of changes that impacted the overall atmosphere and made some good people to leave" (in 9 reviews)

1. "Best employer I've had"

I have been working at Imperva full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been with Imperva for more than 4 years, and I really like the company, what we do, and the people I work with.

Cons

A lot of changes recently in organization and messaging - I think this has made a lot of people nervous/uncertain where they stand.

Advice to Management

Try to stabilize a bit - even good change can be done too fast.

"Heading in the right direction"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Imperva full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great, dedicated talent within the company
    - Transparency throughout the company
    - Overall strategic vision is spot on
    - Solid benefits and pay

While we’ve gone through a ton of change lately, everyone feels we are heading in the right direction and that this was long overdue.

Cons

- Not everyone is handling the amount of change well
    - Fast pace and high stress (I see this more as a challenge than true con)

Advice to Management

Continue focusing on employees first. There are lots of talented, hard working, dedicated employees here. With the fast pace and recent changes, we can all use some extra attention. Stay the course!

3. "Great Company. Moving in the right direction"

I have been working at Imperva full-time

Pros

Great people. Great Team. Great product.

Cons

Nothing really other than I wish the kitchen was more stocked and we had catered meals.

"Great Product but with recent changes, gloomy atmosphere"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Imperva full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hands down the best cloud WAF product in the market!
    There are still some good people left following all the changes, hopefully they’ll stay.

Cons

A lot of changes recently caused a lot of good people to jump ship.
    Gloomy atmosphere in the Redwood Shores HQ.
    Other good people constantly looking at outside opportunities.
    Turnover so significant that the CEO is calling former employees trying to get them back.

"People Leaving In Droves Due To Management or Lack There of"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Imperva full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Imperva makes a great product.

Cons

2 layoffs and several managers in a short period of time says a lot about a company and it's commitment to retention.

Management has had almost a 100% turnover in less than an year. New CEO is arrogant and does not mingle with the "little people". Unless you are in the "inner circle" you don't exist.

He hires like minded people who are more worried about being the "Cool Kid on the Cool Team" than actually doing anything meaningful.

Upper management are rude and often throw temper tantrums when things are not going as expected. Employees are not treated with respect, but rather punching bags for managers.

There is a lot of inner fighting amongst teams and goes ignored by management. Makes working together a chore and does not allow for productive or effective results.

Imperva was once a great company to work for, but those days are long gone and as long as the current management is in place you will see a revolving door... unless they continue to hire the minions with the "yes man" mentality.

Advice to Management

Take your heads out of the clouds and look around. You are not big enough to live in an Ivory Tower. People want leaders who listen and actually care. A lung once a month is not going to help the moral is the gesture is not sincere. You will continue to lose really good people due to your ignorance and ego.

Imperva Response

May 25, 2018 – Imperva Leadership

Imperva has gone through a significant amount of change to transform our business for profitable growth. We recognize that change is not easy. Our goal is and has been to undertake this journey in a... More

"Its a great time to be at Imperva!"

Current Employee - Sales Engineering in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Engineering in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Imperva full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company is changing as a result of our new leadership. Imperva is evolving as part of our next phase of growth; it can be an exciting time, with lots of opportunities if you're engaged. "If you are engaged" is the key; not, "if you are in some inner circle".

Chris (CEO) is establishing from the top down an environment of Integrity and Openness, with a culture of transparency, collaboration, and communication for all employees. A recurring comment internally is that Chris is doing all of the right things, in the right way.

I find that I value what Chris is clearly stating are Imperva's values.

Imperva's products and solutions have always worked and delivered what they promise to deliver; all of which makes your job as a sales engineer easier (both personally and professionally). Multiple employees left years ago and have returned because of the quality of people and products at Imperva.

Product direction and vision has always been and appears to be very strong.

Cons

The company is changing as a result of our new leadership. Change can be scary; and feels uncertain at times. We've lost good people due to the changes going on throughout the organization. It always takes new staff time to get up to speed.

Imperva solves a lot of difficult problems across multiple discrete technical and security disciplines and does so with a great story but, professionally this createst a search for sales engineering unicorns that are experts at: networking, linux, security, selling, application security, cloud engineering, data security, API integration, and more. Long term, sales engineering can be a challenging role at Imperva as you're working to be an SME in production and solution areas.

Advice to Management

Stay the course; with relation to our transformation.

Continue the Infocus Forums and similar to align the organization with our new vision.

Keep hiring and retaining top-notch talent; at all levels.

"Management? What management?"

I worked at Imperva full-time

Pros

Strong engineering and historical brand

Cons

Management changes are terrible for the company's future.

Like any company, Imperva has had its ups and downs. But the new management is unlike any management I (or you) have seen before. The new CEO has no security industry experience, has never been a CEO of a publicly traded company before, and has never ran a global firm. It did not take very long for Imperva's top sales (and other talented individuals at HQ) to see that there is a mismatch. For us in sales, we lost confidence when we realized there's not much he can do for us. Too many good eggs to count in this recent wave of departures.

Advice to Management

You're letting your fabric leave. I hope the board of directors has some grand plan!

"Great time to be at Imperva!"

Current Employee - Marketing in Redwood Shores, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Redwood Shores, CA

I have been working at Imperva full-time (More than a year)

Pros

New CEO is about 6 months into the role, and is bringing more focus, discipline and transparency to the company. It is exciting to be a part of this next phase of Imperva’s evolution

Imperva offers market leading cybersecurity products backed by a friendly team of smart, hardworking people. The company provides many opportunities for employees to interact with other groups and departments and solid benefits. I’m happy to see the company add a matching percentage to the 401K plan.

Cons

There is a lot of change, which can be stressful.

"Redwood City HQ a mess"

I worked at Imperva full-time

Pros

Imperva used to be great... before we had a recent CEO change.

Cons

The company has taken a downward spiral since the new CEO joined Imperva. Almost all top level executives has stepped down from their roles because they disapprove of the new CEO. We saw board of directors, executive staff, VPs, directors etc running for the hills within the past few months. HR hides this fact from it's employee and pretends everything is great.

Overall, Imperva has a great product but with the new CEO and executive staff management has gone down the drain.

Imperva Response

May 10, 2018 – Imperva Leadership

Thank you for your candid feedback. Imperva is indeed on a transformation journey to position us for our next phase of growth. Change and reinvention is not easy, but necessary to achieve success in... More

"Used to be great..."

Former Employee - Director in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Imperva full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

New CEO implemented some overdue changes and trying to align all groups. Some good people are still there.
    The Incapsula product line is highly successful, customers love it.

Cons

If you're not in the CEO's inner circle (or been hired by someone in that circle) your voice is likely to not be heard.
    Company in transition, lots of changes should be expected.
    Average benefits.

Advice to Management

Keep the strong people who can help the company succeed. Hire more leadership with cyber security experience.