Imperva Reviews | Glassdoor

Imperva President and CEO Chris Hylen
Chris Hylen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • New CEO made a lot of changes that impacted the overall atmosphere and made some good people to leave (in 7 reviews)

• The growing pains of a growing company puts on a bit of a work load, but I don't know that I really see that as a "CON" (in 5 reviews)

"Its a great time to be at Imperva!"

Current Employee - Sales Engineering in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Engineering in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Imperva full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company is changing as a result of our new leadership. Imperva is evolving as part of our next phase of growth; it can be an exciting time, with lots of opportunities if you're engaged. "If you are engaged" is the key; not, "if you are in some inner circle".

Chris (CEO) is establishing from the top down an environment of Integrity and Openness, with a culture of transparency, collaboration, and communication for all employees. A recurring comment internally is that Chris is doing all of the right things, in the right way.

I find that I value what Chris is clearly stating are Imperva's values.

Imperva's products and solutions have always worked and delivered what they promise to deliver; all of which makes your job as a sales engineer easier (both personally and professionally). Multiple employees left years ago and have returned because of the quality of people and products at Imperva.

Product direction and vision has always been and appears to be very strong.

Cons

The company is changing as a result of our new leadership. Change can be scary; and feels uncertain at times. We've lost good people due to the changes going on throughout the organization. It always takes new staff time to get up to speed.

Imperva solves a lot of difficult problems across multiple discrete technical and security disciplines and does so with a great story but, professionally this createst a search for sales engineering unicorns that are experts at: networking, linux, security, selling, application security, cloud engineering, data security, API integration, and more. Long term, sales engineering can be a challenging role at Imperva as you're working to be an SME in production and solution areas.

Advice to Management

Stay the course; with relation to our transformation.

Continue the Infocus Forums and similar to align the organization with our new vision.

Keep hiring and retaining top-notch talent; at all levels.

"Management? What management?"

I worked at Imperva full-time

Pros

Strong engineering and historical brand

Cons

Management changes are terrible for the company's future.

Like any company, Imperva has had its ups and downs. But the new management is unlike any management I (or you) have seen before. The new CEO has no security industry experience, has never been a CEO of a publicly traded company before, and has never ran a global firm. It did not take very long for Imperva's top sales (and other talented individuals at HQ) to see that there is a mismatch. For us in sales, we lost confidence when we realized there's not much he can do for us. Too many good eggs to count in this recent wave of departures.

Advice to Management

You're letting your fabric leave. I hope the board of directors has some grand plan!

"Great time to be at Imperva!"

Current Employee - Marketing in Redwood Shores, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Redwood Shores, CA

I have been working at Imperva full-time (More than a year)

Pros

New CEO is about 6 months into the role, and is bringing more focus, discipline and transparency to the company. It is exciting to be a part of this next phase of Imperva’s evolution

Imperva offers market leading cybersecurity products backed by a friendly team of smart, hardworking people. The company provides many opportunities for employees to interact with other groups and departments and solid benefits. I’m happy to see the company add a matching percentage to the 401K plan.

Cons

There is a lot of change, which can be stressful.

"Used to be great..."

Former Employee - Director in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Imperva full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

New CEO implemented some overdue changes and trying to align all groups. Some good people are still there.
    The Incapsula product line is highly successful, customers love it.

Cons

If you're not in the CEO's inner circle (or been hired by someone in that circle) your voice is likely to not be heard.
    Company in transition, lots of changes should be expected.
    Average benefits.

Advice to Management

Keep the strong people who can help the company succeed. Hire more leadership with cyber security experience.

"Steer clear of this company!!! More changes are coming and it's not looking good!"

Former Employee - Marketing in Redwood Shores, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Redwood Shores, CA

I worked at Imperva full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get a laptop, free snacks & a gym

Cons

This company is going through a huge reorg. Two rounds of layoffs. New Management. People are leaving left and right. There's so much uncertainty. The new CEO is not very transparent, does not make eye contact with employees, does not say hi or bother to try to get to know any of the Imperva team. It was a very toxic and sad environment working there, not knowing what was going to happen every day is not the way live. My advice to anyone applying here, you could do so much better! Go to a stable company!

Advice to Management

Be more transparent with what is really going on!

"Could be so much better"

I have been working at Imperva full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Technology, great sales organziation

Cons

Underwhelming executive team, no marketing, not very customer centric

"Challenging place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood Shores, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood Shores, CA

I worked at Imperva full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work life balance
    Good people

Cons

Lack of new products
    Management is in place because they knew someone not necessarily because they are good
    Good people have left or were asked to leave

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees
    Create better marketing messages
    Need new products

Imperva Response

Mar 23, 2018 – SVP of People

Thank you for your candid feedback. We are sorry to hear you didn’t have the best experience, we are always working to improve. At Imperva, we are on a journey to transform the company for future... More

"Cultural Disfunction To Say The Least"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Imperva full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good product line, lots of potential but...

Cons

Boys club, dysfunctional culture. Spending a day on the sales floor is like hanging out in a frat house. Misogynist and sexual orientation jokes are prominent and bullying is common place. Careful what you say to HR, it will get back to your direct manager. Not a great place to be.

Advice to Management

Be aware, your perception of what is happening in your company is not reality.

"TextBook Example of Failure"

Current Employee - Sales Leadership in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Leadership in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Imperva full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The rank and file employees are generally interested in the success of the organization.

Cons

Lack of organizational communication, lack of direction, leaders with little to no external experience outside of Imperva or a single leadership role in the past. They literally fire successfully contributing team members, promote underqualified managers and reorganize solely based on consultants recommendations versus needs of the organization or industry expectations.

Advice to Management

You cant cut sales leadership, sales commissions, reorganize with little regard for the employees and truly expect to be successful in the long term. Simply saying "We Communicate Well", or "Employee First" means nothing unless you act accordingly.

"Nepotism and Hiding Behind Consultants"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Engineer

I have been working at Imperva full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent products and at least some nice people remain.

Cons

Little respect for employees and performance. Recent large layoffs had no substance behind them with many let go simply because of re-org recommendations from consultants brought in by the new CEO. Many talented leaders and employees let go with every excuse to walk them out the door.

Advice to Management

Treat people with respect and look at yourselves and your actions before standing up and telling people everything is roses. Don't hide behind others when you let go of so much talent!