Learning Tree International Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Learning Tree International CEO Richard Spires
Richard Spires

Pros
Cons
  • Did butt heads with a couple of upper management (in 18 reviews)

• Poor Senior Management, all Canadian company decisions come out of USA (in 8 reviews)

"Alternate Fact: Disgruntled one-way communication credible?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Learning Tree International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Right strategy under CEO, well communicated and consistent. Product of helping people learn and organizations realize ROI in performance is gratifying. Skill advancement - readily available. Surprised at lack of professionalism with people using this forum to vent, when there is no opportunity to respond. Disgruntled people often are not wrong, culpable or distorting "truth"?

Cons

Weathering financial ups and downs is not easy, doing more with less. Legacy systems create more manual work/processes, but there is an upside to legacy...having to do work-arounds makes you really understand why you're doing what you're doing, which means you'll eventually be a super-user when you replace legacy. Bet most organization don't get their return on new tools/systems.

Advice to Management

Continue with various methods of communication on strategic and tactical plans, not all managers are good communicators. And communication is key to maintain high productivity and motivation.

2. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Learning Tree International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Through my two years of working at Learning Tree I can say I have never felt a more positive atmosphere in a work tormentor. Our HR director Cheri Hosteler makes an effort to take care of her employees and makes this working tormentor positive. She cares about the people who work here and is their for our best interest. Learning Tree is a great place to work.

Cons

Cant think of any cons to be honest.

Advice to Management

Nothing that I can think of at the moment.

"Learning Tree"

Former Employee - Remote Support Technician in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Remote Support Technician in Herndon, VA

I worked at Learning Tree International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good company to work for.
    Plenty of opportunities
    Free training ( and they offer classes for everything...)
    Managers are good, and communication flows as intended

Cons

There were no cons on my time

"Don't EVER Make An Error..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I worked at Learning Tree International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very Nice Upscale Work Place. Clean and Modern convenient location in Herndon.

Cons

Don't EVER make an error or mistake, because if you do at Learning Tree.. you will probably out the door.. quick fast and in a hurry!

In a 24 hour period I went from Amazing and Awesome ... to Incompetent, Careless, Sloppy and the WRONG person for my job. I worked for Learning Tree for 18+ months, my work was always called "perfect and outstanding". On many occasions I was told " I was one of the best in my field" ...... and I always took great pride in my work and accomplishments.

However, I experienced something unbelievable and horrible, when I made a simple error, an error that was and is easily correctable.

I received a call on my way into the office on my personal cell phone at which time I was torn into by an unnamed Director (this per Glassdoor instructions).

NOTE: this happened even prior to my manager being advised of the error/situation. Through the chain of command.

On my personal cell phone on my way into the office I was yelled at, screamed at and told ... " HOW BAD MY WORK QUALITY AND ACCURACY WAS" . Besides of being subject to this tryst on the phone while commuting to work in Northern Virginia traffic, this action was done in front of other Learning Tree employees in the office where the call originated. When I did arrive to the office, and once my feet hit the 4th floor. The same thing occurred again, but in person, so that many other employees were now privy to the conversation and error... (Screaming Match). Let me remind you again, I was the BEST OF THE BEST in my job just the evening before "word for word".

This person "counseling" me is a professionally trained individual and educated in-depth on how to handle these types of sessions and situations .. However, I will say this, I have never experienced what I did that morning. I would tell any Learning Tree staff member, I was SHOCKED and EMBARASSED by this person's handling of my situation. I see this individual who attacked on me is as being 2 faced, having traits of a back stabber. This individual constantly tries to make themselves to be perceived as friendly and caring and on your side. NOW, it makes one wonder who you can trust? in the company. if you can't openly speak to... who in the organization's is suppose to be there to support the employee's needs and issues.

Another issue with this individual, is they love to brag on their personal wealth and all their belongings, trips, all their high $$ purchases. This person is quick to complain though about their salary being the lowest of all within her position rank within the organization, this behind closed doors for to all ears in the room that will listen.

One of the most UnProfessional experiences in my life... that I will soon never be able to forget. Never before have I been treated so badly or talked to so rudely and I have been in the work force many many many years.

Advice to Management

Don't believe everything that this individual relays and states. They are quick to judge and humiliate. The general employee population of LTree does not like the individual, and feel that there is no exhibit of compassion or caring. And as previously stated this individual complains about "their salary" in comparison to others and the company's financial position to MANY Learning Tree Employees.

"Bright future ahead"

Current Employee - Training Advisor in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Training Advisor in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Learning Tree International (More than 3 years)

Pros

BEST Training in the Industry, selling a product is easy when 99% of the time customer feedback is raving about Instructor/Delivery/Content/Experience.
    Opportunity for those who work hard & dedicate themselves
    Remote work policy
    PTO/Holidays
    Great Insurance/benefits/compensation/Work Environment

Cons

Old Legacy Systems continue to hinder performance, lots of work put on IS
    Lack of communication can lead to inefficiencies

Advice to Management

Continue to move forward in modernizing the Company and our training delivery.
    Challenge/question policies & procedures to ensure we're heading in the right direction
    Hold Sales accountable (especially higher salaried Reps)

"Going down"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Learning Tree International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free training when requested, autonomy not a lot of management nagging you, low work load. Excellent benefits, all sorts of coverage.

Cons

Too many, old school management, business model that is not quick enough to adapt to the change environment. A company that teaches technology but is years behind in their own use of technology in terms of course delivery.

Advice to Management

Go out there and see the competition. Try to attract more customers by having more competitive prices and stop paying inflated rates to instructors and pay your staff a little more. You will not retain any young staff that the business so desperately needs with your salaries.

8. "Billing Specialist"

Former Employee - Billing Specialist in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Billing Specialist in Reston, VA

Pros

Flexible with schedule, paid holidays, relaxed environment, great benefits

Cons

Constant company downsizing and changing in upper management

"Not out of the woods yet but definitely moving forward."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Learning Tree International (More than a year)

Pros

I have been with Learning Tree for three years. Yes things have been a bit scary but I truly believe the company is headed in the right direction and for the most part has the right leadership in place; we still have a few weeds to pull but it will be difficult as those individuals have been here so long and there is little documentation, cross training being done in the company so it is hard to make changes. Management is however finally putting a stop to the bleed and bringing this company into the future. We have excellent products, excellent people and I for one feel good about the future. The employees are wonderful and regardless of what a previous review said, we have a very diverse staff. HR works really hard to motivate employees and I think they are going a great job given that a lot of employees are nervous after our most recent layoff. Given I came from a company that has a layoff once a year, I understand it where I think a lot of long term employees took it hard. I for one, am not looking for a new job. I love my job at Learning Tree.

Cons

I think there needs to be more change management within the company. The recent layoff left things in a tailspin and it could have been managed better. Also some employees are way overworked while others seemingly are not and there are things that could be done to change that but we have to get past the "that's the way it has always been done" mentality first.

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward with modernizing the company. Please get further involved in the amount of money that is being spent. Instruct lower level Managers that they need to crack down on people who are spending the majority of their time on the Internet watching movies etc. The Managers know who they are but will not do anything about it. If you are not willing to Manage your people, you need to step down as it is hurting those of us who do work hard.

"Get out while you can salvage your PTO and 401k"

Former Employee - Glassdoor Troll in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Glassdoor Troll in Herndon, VA

I worked at Learning Tree International full-time

Pros

Share some of the best reasons to work wha? Seriously? Ok, perhaps that's too hasty. Let's think for a moment. Ummm....

Cons

Max still has a job? Well actually no, he's working remotely and we all know he doesn't trust anyone to be productive from afar. He certainly can't be trusted except to continue collecting a paycheck until he's soaked the company for every last dime.

Advice to Management

To the good people still there: think about the last dime. It's going to be spent soon. Get out while you can before your self worth is in the toilet along with your PTO balance and 401k company match.

"Development Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I have been working at Learning Tree International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Used to be a family environment. No more

Cons

Racist and Chauvinistic. Two African American Managers. CEO is a puppet of the board - no leadership. Financially failing.