Learning Tree International Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Learning Tree International CEO Richard Spires
Richard Spires

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Excellent product and great people (in 8 reviews)

• Flexible work environment (flex hours, work from home, etc (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Did butt heads with a couple of upper management (in 18 reviews)

• Poor Senior Management, all Canadian company decisions come out of USA (in 9 reviews)

"Promising group of leaders and great team of account executives.."

Former Employee - Training Advisor in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Training Advisor in Reston, VA

I worked at Learning Tree International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay, pay, and pay! Learning Tree knows how to compensate sales reps unlike some other places so do not take this for granted and hit your quota and you'll find yourself with a 5 figure paycheck.

Benefits - PTO

Room for advancement

Cons

They've fixed a majority of what I addressed in 2015, they seem to be doing great since the new CEO came on board.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!! Follow the trends!! Hire back folks who you may have lost to older management :-)

2. "Not What It Once Was"

I worked at Learning Tree International full-time

Pros

This used to be an okay company to work for. They put out a great product, pay was good, and most people were good to work with.

Cons

Culture was really bad due to senior managers who micromanaged and motivated by fear. New management the last couple of years but they have a new problem. The training market has changed and they are downsizing to the bone. Quality is now a real problem and I'm not sure they'll survive.

Advice to Management

You should engage more instructors who are experts in their field to run the business better.

3. "Outlook Improving!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Learning Tree International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Learning Tree has a great product, loyal customers and a great staff. The significant change in the last 2 years show innovation and flexibility equally demonstrated by management and the staff.

Cons

Still some resistance for interdepartmental cooperation but improving. Not much else comes to mind but all companies can find ways to improve.

Advice to Management

Find ways to bridge the gap between sales and operations.

"Software developer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I worked at Learning Tree International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

you can get some free trainings.

Cons

IS department leadership is second to none. CEO hired an expert in 2014 trying to re-shape the software development and database teams but failed by the resistance from top level people in the department. Majority of people at that department either being let go or left.

Advice to Management

Find qualified people in CTO and directors level.

"Needs Serious Improvment"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Reston, VA

I worked at Learning Tree International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- good courses
    - Ed Centers are good

Cons

- very cliquey
    - promote/hire unqualified people
    - overwork the people who actually work
    - spend money on products that are useless

"Sinking Ship- where sales people go to die and work 10+ years in same role- 100 dials a day every day"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Herndon, VA

I worked at Learning Tree International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free fruit, decent pay, low expectations, decent benefits, get your own cubicle, long lunches, commission can fall into your lap

Cons

You are going to make a 100 calls leave 80 voice mails, you have to hit a 2 million quota and what you sale is between $1500 and $2000 Typically. It's hard to have any type of strategic relationship because everyone sees you as a replaceable vendor as the market is flush with competition. There is little vision and learning tree is year over year losing market share and going through lay offs. It's a company that uses its own CRM that it created and its horrible, still uses lotus notes, still has paper forms to make changes to classes. It's painful and stuck back in the 90's. If you want to make a little money and get a little experience work there. If you want a career look elsewhere. There is almost not career path for you and the outlook for the company is bleak.

Advice to Management

Hire an outside consulting firm- you do not have the experience or the expertise to right this ship. The sales organization within learning tree is dated. You should hire a firm to rework and retool the whole system. I can't believe how better run the place I am at is now compared to Learning tree. Jut because it's the way you have always done it doesn't mean it's the way it should still be done. You should make more outside hires in leadership positions from the corporate space and listen to their recommendations.

"Don't Join a Failing Company"

I have been working at Learning Tree International full-time

Pros

Well, upper management pays attention to their reviews, and it's obvious which 5 star reviews they have written themselves. The reality at the company is pretty grim. However, one pro is that you get by as long as you don't speak up or try to improve the company. It is possible to just get a paycheck by not standing out. That way you won't get any attention to yourself and get fired.

Cons

The fact is that Learning Tree is not making any money. You can go to their website and look at their Finance link to see their quarterly revenues. If it wasn't for the renewal of their government contracts, they would be really under. However, who knows how long they will be able to continue to get the government contracts when better option and more efficient solutions are coming out.

At first, you might think the moral is good here. However, the facade soon fades as you'll realize many people are not happy here...well, except when they get their paycheck every two weeks. So, if all you are looking forward to is your paycheck, then this would be the right company for you.

People who get promoted are not the ones that actually help the company. They are the ones that are able to manipulate senior management into believing what they are doing is right, even though it's wrong and they do not even know what to do.

The bottom line is that the company is failing. Do you want to be a part of that and everything that goes along with it?

"Cost cutting does not apply to everyone"

Pros

Regular paycheck (at the present time). Unfortunately, I am unable to think of other pros at the time and the review requires 20 words in this section.

Cons

After the FY '16 earnings were posted, it was crystal clear the company is in a heap of financial trouble. A mandate was proclaimed (and rightfully so) we must cut costs wherever we can. No more paper course materials, no more overtime for hourly employees, etc. We as good employees accept that and are doing our part - however, it is starting to feel one-sided. I get the impression some of the folks in upper management underestimate the common sense and intelligence of their workforce. Trust me when I say we are scratching our heads at some of the EXCESS spending we see going on as well as how some employees are taking advantage of the (much) more relaxed environment on the 4th Floor. Our first quarter earnings showed we lost a lot less money compared to FY '16 first quarter. That's all fine and dandy, but we are still in the red. Given that, why have there not been ANY changes in upper management? When do their feet get held to the fire?

Advice to Management

Use common sense and make some REAL changes in this company. Bottom line is we are top heavy. (How does that even make sense given our financial landscape?) There are individuals in upper management that have no business being in the positions they are in. Respect your workforce and don't ask them to cut costs and forgo raises while still spending excessively on your end.

"Alternate Fact: Disgruntled one-way communication credible?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

Pros

Right strategy under CEO, well communicated and consistent. Product of helping people learn and organizations realize ROI in performance is gratifying. Skill advancement - readily available. Surprised at lack of professionalism with people using this forum to vent, when there is no opportunity to respond. Disgruntled people often are not wrong, culpable or distorting "truth"?

Cons

Weathering financial ups and downs is not easy, doing more with less. Legacy systems create more manual work/processes, but there is an upside to legacy...having to do work-arounds makes you really understand why you're doing what you're doing, which means you'll eventually be a super-user when you replace legacy. Bet most organization don't get their return on new tools/systems.

Advice to Management

Continue with various methods of communication on strategic and tactical plans, not all managers are good communicators. And communication is key to maintain high productivity and motivation.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Learning Tree International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Through my two years of working at Learning Tree I can say I have never felt a more positive atmosphere in a work tormentor. Our HR director Cheri Hosteler makes an effort to take care of her employees and makes this working tormentor positive. She cares about the people who work here and is their for our best interest. Learning Tree is a great place to work.

Cons

Cant think of any cons to be honest.

Advice to Management

Nothing that I can think of at the moment.