Learning.com Reviews

Updated Jan 8, 2021

4.6
Learning.com CEO Keith Oelrich  (no image)
Keith Oelrich
Pros
  • "They understand and support each employee's work/life balance with allowances given when necessary(in 16 reviews)

• "The company focuses on creating a positive work environment, where work/life balance is prioritized(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Huge legacy technical debt that is eating up valuable developer time(in 5 reviews)

• "Smaller company which means more responsibility for success(in 3 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. "Always striving for the best"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Learning.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Learning.com is a company full of talented, hard-working, caring, and playful people who do what it takes to provide the best for our customers.

Cons

There has been a lot of personnel change.

2. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Agile Product Owner in Portland, OR

I have been working at Learning.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible hours, company culture - benefits, Inclusivity, great people

Cons

It's a smaller company so the pay isn't as competitive as a larger one, but the culture and benefits help make up for that

3. "Where People and Purpose are Valued"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Learning.com full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Collaboration, Teamwork, Family, Flexibility, Mission are just a few of the ways to describe how things go at Learning.com. While you may work in a specific department, the company works as a team to ensure that we are providing learning experiences for students and teachers that prepare them to thrive in a digital society. As an employee you are more than just a team member you are a part of the family. Whether working remotely or in the office, each person is made to feel an integral part of the company mission and the team.

Cons

Smaller company which means more responsibility for success. Though that is a con it is also a pro because you have more opportunity to learn and use different skill sets.

4. COVID-19

"a double-edged sword"

Former Employee - Director, Customer Experience in Portland, OR

I worked at Learning.com full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Lots of passionate, intelligent people who will bend over backwards to assist customers and coworkers alike. Headed in the right direction with scaling internal processes, making data-informed decisions. Opportunities to wear lots of different hats and work cross-functionally. Leadership made more effort to communicate with employees during COVID by closing the office starting in mid-March and holding weekly(ish) company-wide remote meetings. David Mills, VP of Technology, genuinely cares about his employees.

Cons

CEO is short-sighted, always looking for a shiny object or big new sale that can keep the ship afloat. No long term vision, no specific business goals or objectives to strive toward, no product roadmap. Lack of focus on retaining existing customers, long-standing technical debt and outdated product content. The company laid off over 20% of staff in July due to projected economic impact of COVID, eliminating roles in almost every department except new business sales.

5. COVID-19

"More than most companies, it is what YOU make of it"

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Portland, OR

I have been working at Learning.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Like many good small companies you have the abilty to make a difference, and to advance your career. But to do that you need to have the drive and initiative to make it happen. Even then, it won't happen overnight. Management listens to new ideas and allows individual contributors to pursue them. Learning.com has adapted to COVID-19 well with a very functional virtual work environment that still captures some of the essence of what made the physical workplace so great.

Cons

Typical cons of a smaller business. Learning.com is mindful to run leaner, everyone is trusted to pull their own weight.

6. "Great company to work for."

Current Employee - Senior Accounting Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Learning.com full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Professional yet friendly and family-like environment, so many great people and great talents in the company to inspire and motivate individuals that we grow together, the company lives of one of its principles of work-life balance, employees are valued and appreciated and we feel it.

Cons

Its location in downtown that it is quite a traffic during rush hours, but with remote working, that is not even an issue anymore.

Continue reading
  7. "Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Learning.com full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great place to work and Learning.com is helping students gain skills that will benefit them for a lifetime. Work-Life balance is highly respected and advised. Input is always welcomed and management is accessible. Great HR department with nice benefits package.

Cons

Being a small to mid-size company, the number of product enhancements are limited but the company does a nice job of prioritizing.

Continue reading
  8. "Wonderful place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Implementation Specialist in Georgetown, TX

I have been working at Learning.com full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I love the company culture at Learning.com. Eventhough I work remotely, I still feel connected to everything going on in the office. I am treated with respect and importance. My director and above make me feel special every day. My work is valued and I love coming to work every day. Learning.com listens to me and their customers and makes decisions based on both--I love that.

Cons

I can't think of anything.

9. "Doing the Good Work!"

4.0
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Success Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Learning.com full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

When I started at Learning.com I was simply happy to have a great job! And, all these years later our focus and solutions are changing the world for all students and teachers implementing our materials. Today's digital world requires the foundation of strong skills on using digital tools in many ways and Learning.com supports students from Kindergarten through High School with the transferable digital skills to be successful in any environment - no matter what software solution. Learning.com's software development team is the strongest it has ever been and our leadership is fully supportive of input from our partners in schools as well as input from our Customer Success team for an outstanding digital skills curriculum. Our mission is to support teachers and students to excel in a digital world and we do that everyday with all of our school/district partners. Digital skills are as critical as phonics and Learning.com is the only company to truly support that skill. Moving forward in today's digital world requires digital skills and most teachers are not prepared to integrate digital skill instruction with core instruction. Learning.com brings equity for all students and teachers to excel and expand using digital tools for improved execution of goals and outcomes.

Cons

Growing pains are always a challenge and Learning.com needs to focus on supporting new hires. Simply pairing folks with longer tenured team members would be a good start then moving on to a more formal on-boarding/training so that the company's vision is the basis for what we do every day in our positions. Leadership vs. management may also provide opportunity for change. Supporting the management team with leadership skills learning would also continue to impact our business in positive ways.

Continue reading
  10. "9 Year anniversary - Highly recommend!"

Current Employee - Senior Database Administrator in Portland, OR

I have been working at Learning.com full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The culture is like none other I have ever experienced in my 30+ years in the workforce. They understand and support each employee's work/life balance with allowances given when necessary.

Cons

The temperature in the office can waver greatly. They contact the building management, but these issues persist. Have a warm jacket handy.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 52 English Reviews