MAA Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
H. Eric Bolton Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great company with good benefits (in 11 reviews)

• They offer great benefits and training for each employee (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • You cannot communicate with upper management without it going through your superiors (in 16 reviews)

• More work less pay than other property management companies (in 13 reviews)

1. "N/A"

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

There are no complaints

2. "Great place to to work"

I worked at MAA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved working for this company. They offer great benefits and training for each employee. As an employee your not just a number you matter.

Cons

The only con I have is the Longevity of employees. It's hard to move up. The pay is not really competitive.

3. "Poor Company Culture"

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Memphis, TN

I have been working at MAA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We just merged with a luxury management company.

Cons

-poor company culture: you're an employee number to corporate and not a human being
    - they pay less than their competitors
    - corporate is clueless and sets unrealistic goals for operations

Advice to Management

Increase pay, value you your employees like you value residents, and allow operations to make decisions based on property-to-property needs.

4. "Great Company"

I worked at MAA full-time

Pros

Company is very organized and offers excellent training. Opportunities for growth are excellent!

Cons

Have to work on Sundays and most holidays

5. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Assistant Property Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Property Manager

I worked at MAA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Recognition program and well-structured!

Cons

I THINK they scale on the low side of compensation compared to other property management.

Advice to Management

None- I really enjoyed working for the company and only stopped because I relocated.

"Not a good experience"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at MAA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is ok, room for advancement

Cons

Management that has no idea on what they are doing at times, shady business practices leaving themselves open for lawsuits, gossiping and favorites played no matter how well you do your job

7. "Leasing Consultant"

I have been working at MAA full-time

Pros

I was a part of Post Properties before we merged with MAA and there are a few pros and cons that came about.

Commissions are great, especially since we were not getting $100 a lease and $75 a renewal before. So the change is nice and if you are a good leaser then you will definitely see it on your paycheck.

A great thing about being a leasing consultant is creating your schedule monthly. Since you work weekends, you can ask to use your 2 days off for important events and add them to a PTO day for a longer vacation.

Cons

Open Monday-Sunday, including most holidays. Don't expect to have a normal work schedule nor work/life balance. If you have a social life and love being with friends on the weekends, forget it. You mostly work 3 out of the 4 weekends a month and majority of your days off are during the week, which all your friends are working.

From my experience with Post prior to MAA, I felt like we were taken care of and that the company wanted to get to know us. Anytime Post's upper management visited our property, they would buy us lunch and eat with us and spend time getting to know us. Now, with MAA, they visit and want to know our numbers and then leave. There's really no relationship between the floor employees and executives.

Overall, the employees of MAA are nice and the company is doing well.

Advice to Management

Stop cutting corners in the budget and take care of your employees. Take the time to get to know them.

"Keep looking"

I worked at MAA full-time

Pros

The benefits package is pretty robust.

Cons

Very disorganized environment. Growing so rapidly but with no real concern for the employees. Culture is one of hostility as a result.

Advice to Management

Slow down and pay more attention to your employees

"Sketchy Business Practices"

I worked at MAA part-time

Pros

The pay was good and I really liked most of the people I worked with, commissions on leases are a good incentive.

Cons

Insane micromanagement and misleading job descriptions led to workdays being insufferable. Corporate bureaucracy leads to incompetent people in management positions as well as complete inertia in terms of modernity of company culture. "MAA brighter view" mantra borderline cult-level propaganda. Not very much space for individuality or flexibility within rigid corporate hierarchy.

Advice to Management

Appreciate employees and recognize strengths and weaknesses to create a better, more well-rounded team. Definitely ease up on some of the micromanagement and strict adherence to corporate policies to retain talent and make work more pleasurable for everyone involved.

"Leasing Consultant"

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant

I have been working at MAA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had a great manager; great leader, positive, drama free, great teacher, always had my best interest at heart.

Cons

The company itself only cares about making money, they don't promote within, doesn't matter how well/ bad you do, how long you're there for. If the property you are working at isn't doing " well enough" (we have stayed over 95% for the past 2 years) for corporate standards then the employees wont get transferred anywhere. Zero regards for employee life needs or changes. Leasing pay is petty...$13 maybe $14 an hour and leasing commissions are only $80. Not enough for the amount of work you do.

Advice to Management

Allow your employees to grow and develop as promised when onboarding, if you don't allow people to move around and gain experience you wont have well rounded staff. They wont respect you either.