KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

MAA Reviews

Updated Jan 8, 2022

Found 428 of over 440 reviews

3.8
MAA Chairman, President, and CEO H. Eric Bolton Jr. (no image)
H. Eric Bolton Jr.
Pros
  • "MAA is very thorough and sets you up to succeed for your first day on the job(in 30 reviews)

• "Great benefits, solid leadership, personal growth opportunities(in 22 reviews)

• Cons
  • "MAA offers absolutely no security to their employees(in 46 reviews)

• "Very high price increases with no room to move for residents make hard conversations for long term(in 40 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    Talk anonymously with Real Estate professionals

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of MAA and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years
      Featured Review

Positive Company Culture

Oct 13, 2021 - Leasing Consultant in Bedford, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Promote from within. Responsive support from corporate. Yearly raises. A lot of employee benefits.

Cons

Position can be mentally and emotionally exhausting. Job can be demanding during busy seasons.

Human Resources

We appreciate your feedback!

2. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Good company

Nov 1, 2021 - Leasing Consultant in Raleigh, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great pay & benefits Promotions available

Cons

A lot of work for one person offices Residents can be a lot to deal with

3. 2.0

Unappreciative Company

Jan 8, 2022 - Leasing Consultant in Houston, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Stable job with great training and teaching resources. Good work life balance.

Cons

I can't say much positive with my experience. I was literally #1 on their star sales (leasing incentive list) in Houston in 2021 and I felt very unappreciated. I received no recognition from anyone in the company other than what I consider some good friends I made. The pay is very uncompetitive with the commission structure + base pay. This was my first job in property management but I am VERY familiar with the industry and pay standards as I have numerous family in manger/corporate positions in other companies. The company feels very unorganized with trying to incorporate so many changes to the leasing/on site processes that just don't work. When giving feedback they do nothing to fix the reported issues. I find that many of the employees (while not toxic) simply do not care. I worked at a few properties with MAA and each time it was either unorganized with little communication within the team and I shouldered much of the load. MAA is very okay with doing the bare minimum and following trends. They do not push the envelope. They even had me come in to work while I was tested positive with COVID! MAA only cares about their outward appearance and not their employees.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Great company with continued growth

Jan 6, 2022 - Service Manager in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Started from entry level and advanced over past 9 years. Transfers and promotions were supported. Steady growth in company leading to more opportunities and continued innovations to keep up with new technology. Lately an aggressive push on incentives have taken employment with the company over the top, especially if you live on property. The properties all vary so you can choose newer properties or old, fully staffed or not. These can lead to more of a consistent laid back preventative maintenance type property or a high stress responsive community with renovations and overtime and more learning opportunities. It’s all up to where you go and there’s always flexibility to cross over from maintenance to leasing even. Sit downs with the CEO and CFO during tours of such a big company is a rare and welcome perk. Most of their stories are ground up employees and very humble and confident leadership.

Cons

Tribal knowledge can be limiting and sometimes hold back the highest potential for development so it is encouraged to go in with as much background as you can bring or to take classes in spare time. The challenges are changing every day and so you find yourself googling a lot and can hit some hard walls. You find a lot of support but also are expected to figure it out one way or another. Calling contractors can really effect your budget so in house as much as possible really can put the pressure on. Cost of living is escaping some of the wages. They are definitely fair and catching up with the times as far as base levels and I have seen alot of incentives and bonuses that help curb overall but some areas are hit so hard with inflation there needs to be consideration of location for salary. Otherwise maintaining staff may be hard as prices drive them out. Initially I had a lot of troubles with micromanagers working up in the company. As soon as I had trust to make some decisions and mistakes I started to grow a lot faster. This can be solved by moving around after open communication doesn’t work.

Human Resources

Thank you for your time, dedication over the years and your service to your teammates, residents and MAA. We are hopeful that some of the initiatives we are currently working on will speak to the things you've raised up here. We appreciate hearing from you.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great with keeping good communication

Jan 3, 2022 - Leasing Consultant in Nashville, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

We have very great communication with our corporate reps, and if we ever need anything they are easy to access. We are taken great care of with bonuses if you are performing well, and tips if you may need any help.

Cons

Have to work saturdays and sundays, so work-life balance is tough

Thanks for your review!

6. 4.0
      Current Employee

Great company for growth

Dec 3, 2021 - Property Manager in Scottsdale, AZ
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Base pay -commissions - properties - corporate support -PTO time

Cons

- lack of training - maintenance staff have issues with job descriptions which I believe has to due with lack of training and ability to hold staff accountable as you have to give a lot of verbal warnings before write ups can happen -if you are a property manager and it’s your off day- if a staff member calls off you are expected to come in, meaning you can never have weekend plans or go out of town.

Human Resources

Thank you for submitting this review. We very much appreciate your feedback.

7. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great company to work for!

Jan 8, 2022 - Resident Property/Manager in Little Rock, AR
      Business Outlook

Pros

Strong leadership Paid time off Tuition reimbursement

Cons

Some micromanagement at the district level

8. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great Company to work for

Jan 4, 2022 - Accounts Payable in Glendale, AZ
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fair, consistent, giving, fun, engaging

Cons

moved office several times, indecisive

9. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

Great company

Jan 3, 2022 - Leasing Consultant in Gilbert, AZ
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay, benefits and training.

Cons

As with most apartment communities, you are required to work weekends.

10. 4.0

Great people

Dec 21, 2021 - Property Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

I had one of the best regionals that was super helpful and really made me confident in my role

Cons

Property management is just not a good industry. Weekends and on call are the biggest cons

Viewing 1 - 10 of 428 Reviews
    </>Embed

MAA Reviews FAQs

MAA has an overall rating of 3.8 out of 5, based on over 440 reviews left anonymously by employees. 75% of employees would recommend working at MAA to a friend and 77% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -1% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, MAA employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.6 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at MAA. This rating has decreased by 0% over the last 12 months.

75% of MAA employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated MAA 3.3 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.8 for culture and values and 3.8 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at MAA to be culture, career development, benefits and the cons to be senior leadership, management.

Popular Careers with MAA Job Seekers