MAA Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 21, 2018

Full-timePart-time

H. Eric Bolton Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They offer great benefits and training for each employee (in 13 reviews)

• Great company with good benefits (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • You cannot communicate with upper management without it going through your superiors (in 21 reviews)

• I THINK they scale on the low side of compensation compared to other property management (in 13 reviews)

1. "Leasing Consultant"

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at MAA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible Schedule, Bonus Incentives, Commission and Hourly Pay, Goal-Oriented Environment, Hands-on training, discount for living on-site

Cons

Leasing works on weekends a lot

Advice to Management

More consistency on policies and procedures throughout different properties.

"Undervalued and overlooked"

Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at MAA full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

In the beginning we felt recognized and as though the company had a plan for advancing their employees. Smaller groups/portfolios allowed for more relatable and personal interactions between emails employees and their supervisors.

Cons

Being with the company many for several years means nothing. Constantly being pacified with false hopes and no tools to advance your career. Expected to do a lot for little to no reward.

Advice to Management

Promote from within. Value your employees and not the dollar. Generate a clear path to advance peoples careers. Employees don’t need to feel like they are just a number.

"My blood ran Orange for years! Company culture and true leadership no longer was priority!"

Former Employee - Property Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Property Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at MAA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Stability, well known company, training.

Cons

No room for advancement, no real leadership

Advice to Management

Drain the swamp!

4. "It was great and then it got okay..."

I worked at MAA full-time

Pros

Time off - good PTO (if your manager would approve)
    Hours - I had two days off during the week and worked Sunday only from 1-5
    Fun - The residents were so sweet

Cons

Pay - offered a pay raise less than 30 cents/hr after being there for a year
    Opportunity - I talked w/ several people that had been in the same position for years but the company wouldn't let them move up
    Understaffed - even residents would complain that there was never enough people so then your overworked

"MAA ruined Post Properties"

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant
    Former Employee - Leasing Consultant

I worked at MAA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discount on rent was nice.

Cons

I started working at Post Properties and it was awesome, MAA came in and changed everything for the worst. Quality or work changed, customer service changed. They cut our bonus program.

6. "Take care of your employees"

I have been working at MAA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only thing great is our Commissions.

Cons

There is constant issues regarding our pay and we’re never given our money immediately for their mistakes. We have to wait until the next pay period. This happens ALOT.

They only invest their time in the uptown post properties.

There isn’t any relationship with upper management and onsite employees. Your voice is not heard.

7. "Leasing Consultant"

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at MAA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are at a solid , larger, high turnover rate property you can make a solid amount of commission. At my property we receive commission for leases, on-site transfers, and renewals. On-site management is friendly and I do feel cares about it's employees. Most of the residents at my property are very easy to get along with and are appreciative of your hard work. I also receive a discounted rate for living at an MAA managed property.

Cons

With all the pro's stated, there are things you need to consider before working for MAA. Commission and base pay is below industry standards. If you are at a smaller property you realistically will make around $30,000 per year if you are an excellent leaser. As a leasing consultant you are the front-line of the property, which means most of the stress, complaints, and blame will be put on you. Especially during peak season we work every weekend. While assistant PM and PM's get every weekend off, longer lunches ranging from an hour and a half to three.

The worst part for me though (many others have stated this) we are just a number. While I've had a pretty solid experience thus far, this is not common from speaking to coworkers and colleagues. I honestly wish some of the upper management understood what we deal with on a daily basis. But hey, that's just my opinion.

Advice to Management

Money speaks. Perhaps reward your lower level employees for the hard work they do. Rather than a "thanks" or a pat on the back you actually do the right thing at the right time for the right reasons.

8. "service tech"

I have been working at MAA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

the location is a good fit

Cons

training is not available at present

9. "Supervisor"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at MAA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Not many pros working for this company.

Cons

Leadership is terrible. Starts from the very top and works it's way down . MAA used to be a good company years ago. Now they are terrible.

Advice to Management

Restructure company. Obviously MAA is money driven and doent care about employees. They upper management needs to be go. Moral in company is awful.

10. "Leasing Consultant"

Current Employee - Leasing Agent
    Current Employee - Leasing Agent

I have been working at MAA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The on site staff I work with are amazing. They have become my family. Okay pay + commissions.

Cons

Leasing Consultants are not recognized for their worth. We bust out butts and you see PMs get a huge gala and constant lunches and praise. We get a “leasing rally” that basically is just additional training for fair housing laws. We don’t get near enough praise for the hours of sweat we put in. We are expecting to fill in at others constantly and get no reward or praise at all. Our PMs will simply give a thank you but when you get so far behind and head under water because your doing a good job, no one stops to say your doing a good job. It feels as though it just isn’t recognized that we are the front line. We take on a heavy load of work. Pay is okay by not compared to some other companies.

Weekends. We work every single weekend. I personally get twelve off the whole year. Saturday and Sunday. None others. For 2 years now. I see other PMs that actually want to keep their staff and rotate every other but they leave that up to them. So there is nothing you can do that you WILL miss family birthdays, weddings, just being able to do things like ever. They need a better schedule. We aren’t just a number.

Advice to Management

Don’t treat LCs like a number.
    Force all properties to be on a similar schedule. Stop making us work every single weekend.
    Recognize good talent and a hard job well done. Not just your PMs.