MarkLogic Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
MarkLogic President & CEO Gary Bloom
Gary Bloom

Pros
  • Great product you can believe in (in 6 reviews)

• Great technology that is proven in specific industries (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • provides an almost useless 401k match (in 7 reviews)

• Winning the hearts and minds of developers who gravitate to open source can be hard (in 4 reviews)

1. "Great company"

I have been working at MarkLogic full-time

Pros

Great company, leadership, culture and people

Cons

None that I can think of

2. "I love working at MarkLogic"

I have been working at MarkLogic full-time

Pros

Great people/ place to work at

Cons

Nothing negative about this great company

"Great Technology but lacking effective leadership"

I worked at MarkLogic full-time

Pros

+flexible Technology
    +Good People
    +Highly Focused consulting group

Cons

-Middle Management lacks experience
    -Some Verticals lack direction
    -Technology is too flexible needs to be packaged as a "Product" for certain verticals
    -Technology Based on XML and an understanding of Xquery
    -Nothing is out of the box too heavy of a reliance on services

Advice to Management

You need to take a hard look at your middle management, otherwise you will lose your best people.

Mar 26, 2017 – SVP, WW Consulting and Training

Thank you for taking the time to review MarkLogic and share your feedback on your experience while at the company as well as your contributions while employed with us. As a fast growing ... More

5. "Title"

Pros

Great startup.. great company to work for.

Cons

None to call out at all

6. "VP of Sales"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at MarkLogic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great product, great management team, solid references, solid financials, high growth

Cons

customers may not know MarkLogic

Advice to Management

continue the effort, improve marketing and visibilty

"Great Product Company facing sales hurdles !"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY

Pros

1) Good feature rich database product
    2) Executive team and CEO are aggressive in terms of growing company
    3) Head office perks like lunch once a week and nice office
    4) Few marquee clients in defense/public sector, media and healthcare

Cons

1) Growth has been flat over the last two years. The management raised over $ 105 million tow years ago and went on a hiring binge growing the company from 300 employees to 500. But this rapid growth has led to a lower quality sales-force who have been unable to sell a really complex product
    2) Expenses have grown exponentially - and the firm has cut back on all expenses including travel, annual sales engineers meeting, recruiting has come down to nearly zero over the last two years. The firm clearly has a huge negative cash burn rate and losses are mounting
    3) International growth by adding new offices in France, Germany, Singapore etc. has not led to sales growth and come at a huge cost. Meanwhile there seems to be very poor sales coverage or management - especially in the South region e.g. Atlanta, Dallas, where there is no coverage. We have offices in Tokyo but not Toronto - and have no coverage in Canada !
    4) Marketing is largely a sham...the brand is un-known and no leads to sales from marketing
    4) Compensation in the form of Options could be at risk and the promised IPO is nowhere on the horizon !

Advice to Management

1) Improve Sales organization structure, management, and controls. Why are sales targets not being met ?
    2) Be honest with employees - who have a lot invested in the company via Options regarding the financial implications of continual losses. Are we going IPO or are we getting sold ?

Dec 16, 2016 – EVP Field Operations

Thank you for taking time to share your feedback. We are happy to hear of your confidence in our product and approval of our office perks. We sincerely hope that you will afford us the opportunity ... More

8. "Brilliant Engineers behind the Product"

I have been working at MarkLogic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The CEO Gary Bloom is a great leader who inspires employees and has a positive, realistic vision for the company. The founder is brilliant and continues to be a key architect of the product, ensuring the product does not stray from his initial vision. The engineering team behind the product is top-notch. The product itself is a pleasure to use to solve complex problems and it is unquestionably at the frontier of database technology. Compensation for consultants is competitive.

Cons

The product is so feature-rich and continues to evolve so quickly that a consultant requires substantial time and energy to keep up with the rate of change. There is also a very large ecosystem of software built around MarkLogic (some of it open-source) which consultants need to remain up-to-speed on to avoid "reinventing the wheel". As a consultant having all of these supporting tools is fantastic, though just the sheer number of them can be overwhelming at times.

Advice to Management

Focus on continuously improving the product's greatest strengths and market differentiators rather than broadening MarkLogic to handle every use case.

9. "Great Company for Consultants"

I have been working at MarkLogic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

For Consultants who wish to Travel and work in different places or who would like to Work From Home(depends on your Client), a great place to work. Company will reimburse a reasonable amount of all your expenses for a travel to work.

Cons

If you are a developer who would like to work in a fixed location for a period of time, please don't try for this job.

Advice to Management

Please go public sooner! I know you're getting there but would like to see it now!

Mar 26, 2017 – SVP, WW Consulting and Training

Thank you for taking the time to review MarkLogic and share your feedback on your experience. I agree that our consulting organization offers great opportunities for top technical consultants who are ... More

"Field Sales"

I worked at MarkLogic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Product is well engineered and has the strongest overall feature set vs.competition. Good resourcing help for sales opportunities - don't have to do it all yourself.

Cons

Competition is on the rise and the gap is closing in the NoSQL space. Marketing is not where it needs to be. It will be difficult to advance from within.

Advice to Management

The product is viewed as quality one, but perceived as more challenging to use than others. Marketing needs to address the challenges of more leads.

11. "Cutting edge"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at MarkLogic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with the next generation of document databases

Cons

I don't have any real cons at this point. The travel load could potentially be a con. But, to this point, it hasn't been bad at all.

Mar 26, 2017 – SVP, WW Consulting and Training

Thank you for taking the time to review MarkLogic and share your feedback on your experience. I agree, work travel isn't for everyone - but for those who enjoy it there are a lot of great ... More