MarkLogic Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 116 reviews

4.1
MarkLogic CEO Gary Bloom
Gary Bloom
Pros
  • "Great product you can believe in(in 10 reviews)

• "Mostly great people with the exception of a few managers(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "provides an almost useless 401k match(in 9 reviews)

• "Winning the hearts and minds of developers who gravitate to open source can be hard(in 4 reviews)

1. "Great Team"

Current Employee - Social Media Marketing Manager in San Carlos, CA

I have been working at MarkLogic full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great team Engaged management Good benefits including pet insurance and unlimited* PTO

Cons

The soda machine has too many options.

MarkLogic2019-02-25

"People who care held back by pockets of ineffective management"

I have been working at MarkLogic full-time

Pros

Great product. Sharp people. Customer focused. Some pockets of the company are still fantastic. Look for the stable high performing teams. Those are the ones still worth joining.

Cons

Certain teams are not currently able to retain strong senior talent. All have left for the same reasons.

Advice to Management

Employees are not heard, or are heard but dismissed, or heard but no real changes are made. Easy to understand why affected teams are seeing heavy attrition among their strongest contributors.

MarkLogic2019-04-24
  3. "Probably the best company culture I've ever seen"

Former Employee - Technical Leader in San Carlos, CA

I worked at MarkLogic full-time for more than a year

Pros

Top to bottom, very collaborative and innovative culture. Great people doing great work.

Cons

Not that this is their fault, but San Carlos is an expensive place to live. The alternative is a long commute.

MarkLogic2019-02-06

"Mostly Positive"

Former Employee - Sales Director

I worked at MarkLogic full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice People overall. Good Technology. Strong CEO.. Not great Sales Leadership. Hard Working Sales Reps and Pre-Sales.

Cons

Wonderful organization that is still trying to find its niche outside of Federal space

Advice to Management

Need to grow US business with strong, no nonsense US Sales Leadership. The strong Sales leaders are outside the US creating the CEO to run run sales in the US and US sales leadership to be very tactical.

MarkLogic2019-02-17

"Lucky me!"

Current Employee - Engineering Staff in San Carlos, CA

I have been working at MarkLogic full-time for more than a year

Pros

. Real cubicles and not an open office. . We work on state-of-the-art technology. . Diverse and competent co-workers. I have yet to come across any "dead weight." . Free coffee, tea, cappuccino, a Coca-Cola Freestyle machine, and diverse munchies. . Thursdays are "work at home" day. You can also work at home as needed. . Dog-friendly work environment. . Free lunch on Tuesdays. . On-site weekly yoga classes. ....

Cons

Caveat: I have written some truly scathing reviews of former employers. I'm therefore trying to write this to be helpful rather than an "I drank the Kool-Aid" review. . The 401k matching could be better. . The commute sucks no matter where you come from. . It would be nice if the cubicle walls were a little higher and the cubes were more private. . No health club membership benefit. . Nobody brings in cats, birds,...

Advice to Management

It's refreshing to work at a company with competent management that cares about the welfare of its employees. I'm glad you're risk-averse when it comes to financial management. Better 401k matching and a real health club benefit would be nice, but I trust you'll give them to us when the company can handle the added expenses. Similarly, I trust that you'll wait until the time is right (if ever) to bring the company public.

MarkLogic2018-08-27

"Great Technology"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant

I worked at MarkLogic full-time for more than 6 years

Pros

Great technology and vision -- on what a database should be able to do.

Cons

The product is not easy to understand or use -- and the company seems to like to keep it that way.

Advice to Management

Invest in a user interface.

MarkLogic2018-07-24

MarkLogic Response

August 6, 2018SVP, WW Consulting and Training

Thank you for the feedback. I agree that our technology is amazing. MarkLogic is committed to making education for the product easily accessible and geared towards ramping new developers and technologists. MarkLogic University offers all of its materials and courses free to anyone ...

"Great company to work for; the future is cloudy"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Carlos, CA

I worked at MarkLogic full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

- The people are awesome, they're smart and great to work with. - Very horizontal structure so VPs and even the CEO are easy to talk to. - Technology is really good. - Schedule is flexible, just get your stuff done. - Awesome culture, it's a fun environment.

Cons

- Very low name recognition in the market. Mongo and Oracle doing well while AWS/Azure coming in from below. - What will happen? Acquisition? IPO? - Sad 401k match. - Many strong employees have left recently.

MarkLogic2018-06-21

"Great tech that customers don't know about"

I have been working at MarkLogic full-time

Pros

Excellent technology Great people to work with

Cons

Ineffective marketing (people who are looking for a solutions that MarkLogic can solve have still have a hard time finding us). Some management issues

Advice to Management

Figure out how to reach people when they are doing their independent research better. Get SEO right. Everyone googles.

MarkLogic2018-05-31

"Falling behind the pack"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at MarkLogic full-time

Pros

- Nice people. Collegiate culture - Better than average comp - Upscale offices - Product works as advertised - Landed at prestigious companies, but difficulty expanding

Cons

- Sr Exec team is stagnant and insular - Content to use PS and renewals as a cash cow at expense of investing for license growth - Battle with MongoDB is over and Mongo has won - No brand recognition or marketing

Advice to Management

Sell the IP to a legacy SW company who wants to tuck in a NoSQL product to fill out their lineup

MarkLogic2018-03-21

"Great Product, Great People, Very Enterprise Focused, Needs Better Marketing"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant

I worked at MarkLogic full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

I don't think I ever met anyone that worked at MarkLogic that didn't think the core product was outstanding. The culture at MarkLogic is very friendly and pretty much everyone is super smart. Leadership especially in consulting services is really helpful and supportive. Most people are very loyal to the product and the company. I've met many co-workers here that have become good friends here.

Cons

Burnout in professional services can be a problem even though there are very good vacation policies. From a company perspective, obviously everyone is getting eaten by AWS and Azure to a lesser extent. The company has basically decided to not really compete in that market, which may or may not work. The outlook is maybe not as bright as it was a few years ago, but I don't think the product is any less outstanding.

Advice to Management

I do think a managed MarkLogic solution on Azure and AWS is a must. The world is going to PaaS and SaaS and MarkLogic needs to embrace it at some point, even though that's not where the money is right now.

MarkLogic2018-03-23