MarkLogic Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
MarkLogic President & CEO Gary Bloom
Gary Bloom

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great product you can believe in (in 7 reviews)

• Flexibility, smart people, new office, free lunch (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • provides an almost useless 401k match (in 8 reviews)

• Winning the hearts and minds of developers who gravitate to open source can be hard (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Experiences in 6+ years working at MarkLogic"

I have been working at MarkLogic full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've spent over 6 years working for MarkLogic. I enjoy it, otherwise I would have moved on and wouldn't be here writing this review :).

I enjoy working with some really smart and talented people and the chance to work with an exceptional product that can really do some amazing things for customers.

I've also enjoyed the challenges and career development opportunities that one can earn at MarkLogic. If you work hard and succeed, management takes notice and you will be given opportunity.

Cons

In any growing company there can be challenges on time and resources required in order to achieve your objective. Sometimes I wish there could be more time in a day!

2. "Cautiously Optimistic for Once (Consulting)"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA

I have been working at MarkLogic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Management is very focused on finding and retaining talent. If you perform well you'll quickly be recognized and rewarded.
    - Unique product crossed with high profile clients means the work is always interesting and fast paced. Again- if you perform well bench time is practically non-existent. (This could be a con for some people?)
    - VERY smart coworkers. Management has done a good job so far to not be tempted to inflate contracts by hiring masses of bench warmers. Everyone must pass a high bar and the quality shows.
    - Great support system and training. Tons of resources both human and documentation to pull from. Culture is very much one of helping others without hesitating.
    - No BS 'silicon valley' 'tech-bro' culture garbage. Everyone here is an adult and acts like one. (This could be a con for some people???)

Cons

- Product is both niche and due to some competitors screwing things up you'll have to overcome the 'nosql stink' prejudice that some clients understandably have. Most of your difficulty on many projects will be in getting clients to both understand and adopt the 'MarkLogic way' of approaching and solving problems. Don't underestimate how baked in the traditional way of thinking is in the industry. It takes *a lot* of work to overcome.
    - Not much of a con because there's no way to get around it but there's a general uneasiness about the company's future. Most people believe we're in good hands with our current upper management but we're concerned about what happens post-IPO or buyout. Again, not much anyone can actually do about that though.
    - Travel can be demanding and projects can get heavy. If you're an experienced consultant and know what you're getting yourself into you'll do fine- this place is great. If you're new to the field however it can be a bit overwhelming.

Advice to Management

To upper management : Keep up the good work. Continue to communicate openly and honestly to the whole company, it's greatly appreciated. Recent announcements show that you guys are keeping a long term view. Obviously can't go into details about them here. It'd be nice if we could have more information about our future IPO or whatever but I understand why we can't be in the know.

To middle management : Also keep up the great work. The open and consistent communication is definitely appreciated and shows that there's a lot of trust in us. It's difficult to find qualified candidates who can handle all the aspects of this job so don't be tempted to lower standards. Continue fostering the sense of community we have.

Oct 19, 2017 – SVP, WW Consulting and Training

Thanks for taking the time to write this detailed and thoughtful review. I'm very proud of our team and am thrilled to hear you think so highly of your co-workers. Our people are our most important... More

"Inside Sales Representative"

I worked at MarkLogic full-time

Pros

Great co-workers and nice office location.

Cons

leadership has no idea what they are doing or how to get out of the way. Pricing, marketing, and pitch change constantly. Furthermore, there is no communication so you feel like you are working in a black hole. The drastic changes mentioned above, create an anxious workforce with lots of speculation and fear-based decisions.

Oct 10, 2017 – Regional Manager, EMEA Inside Sales

We thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We most definitely agree with your comments regarding great colleagues and nice office locations. In response to your concern about frequent... More

4. "Great career opportunities solving mission-critical problems"

Current Employee - Senior Principal Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Principal Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at MarkLogic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Amazing career opportunities. Strong on the job performance is regularly recognized and rewarded.
    - MarkLogic's customers use the product to solve their toughest problems and look to MarkLogic Consulting Services for successful implementations. This affords a great variety of exposure to interesting and challenging business problems.
    - Great company culture with regular social and team building activities.

Cons

- 401k match is could be better

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Aug 9, 2017 – SVP, WW Consulting and Training

I appreciate you taking the time to write this review of your experiences at MarkLogic. I agree that MarkLogic is a great place for top technical consultants who want to help customers solve their... More

"Sales Engineer"

Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Fairfax, VA

I worked at MarkLogic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very capable software. Open communication internally.

Cons

Product marketing has been lacking for a long time. Mature, capable software that most have never heard of. Unclear messaging.

Advice to Management

Focus. Adding features won't help unless you have clear, concise messaging.

6. "unspecified"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at MarkLogic full-time

Pros

Collaborative Culture.
    Smart Engineers in development, qa and support.
    Very little politics in the Engineering Organization.

Cons

You need to be self motivated to succeed at MarkLogic. Company is too small for someone that is satisfied with a 9-5 job - requires people to manage their own work life balance.

Advice to Management

more transparency from the top

"Principal Consultant"

Former Employee - A I Consultant in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - A I Consultant in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at MarkLogic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great product - far better than any other NoSQL system. Mostly great people with the exception of a few managers. Learned a huge amount.

Cons

Management team has a big ego and wants to be like Oracle. Very little training for new hires. Had to be billable within two weeks. Few partnerships.

Advice to Management

Don't be like Oracle. Let your great engineers do their jobs. Find some great integration partners.

Jul 29, 2017 – SVP, WW Consulting and Training

Thank you for taking the time to review MarkLogic and share your feedback on your perception of your experience while at the company. And thank you for your contributions while employed with us... More

"Company Culture"

I have been working at MarkLogic full-time

Pros

If you like the current culture at Oracle, you'll like MarkLogic's culture.
    It's a vendor's consulting service company vs a license/support stream company.

Cons

Marklogic's out-of-the-box ability to search content immediately (similar to Microsoft FAST Search) vs the typical delay accessing data due to the ETL process is its value.

MarkLogic's proprietary method of ETL over-time represents the culture well since it's niche but it's niche value can be customized for any popular ETL tool by searching its "data-load error table" on ingestion.
    Basically everyone at the company has the job of hiding the ETL workaround and it's culture is Silicon Valley's hire/fire so if you get lucky distracting customers focus away from this customization you're perceived as doing well.

Advice to Management

Move away from Consulting revenue.

You've not provided classes on how simple it is to go from notepad/vi to a basic application where you can add feature/functionality.

Make the product Simple through training so your Consultanting group starves vs just making training free.

"Great company to be a part of"

Current Employee - Senior Pre-Sales Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Pre-Sales Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at MarkLogic full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing product
    Great team.
    Very interesting use cases, we are trying to solve some really interesting and real world business problems.

Cons

None which are critical enough to come to mind

"Great place to make a difference"

Current Employee - Practice Manager
    Current Employee - Practice Manager

I have been working at MarkLogic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A "We" culture and not a "Me" culture, ability to contribute at all levels and know you are making a mark, chart your own path, solid product that sells itself, a management team that values culture and employee growth, and a constant excitement of a start-up type atmosphere while ensuring steady measured growth in a rapidly expanding market segment. As a member of the consulting organization I go to work each day knowing I work with some of the best and brightest and I never cease to keep learning from those around me. We are a group and culture that all bond together for common goals and everyone pitches in no matter their role or title and this is the best that has ever occurred during my 20 year career!

Cons

Finding even more talent to join the team....we need you!

Advice to Management

Continue to check the pulse of the workforce, continue to grow the company in a careful measured pace as you have been doing

May 21, 2017 – SVP, WW Consulting and Training

I really appreciate you taking the time to write this review of your experiences at MarkLogic. We strive to empower our team to contribute on many levels. And I agree, we need more talented... More