Mary Kay Reviews | Glassdoor

Mary Kay President and CEO David B. Holl
David B. Holl

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • There is always a push to be full time, even if you started out as part time (in 12 reviews)

• The dress code is ridiculous and outdated (in 11 reviews)

1. "Independent Sales Director"

Current Employee - Sales Director
    Current Employee - Sales Director

I have been working at Mary Kay full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Freedom and flexibility to work your business around your life not your life around your business. Multiple bonuses available including vehicle award, wellness benefit, travel bonuses, team advancement bonuses to name a few. Leadership very helpful in achieving career goals. Corporate vision and influence is unparalleled.

Cons

As with any independent sales position, you must be able to generate new leads.

2. "Sales Director"

I have been working at Mary Kay part-time (More than a year)

Pros

flexibility of your time

Cons

Investing in product can be confusing

Advice to Management

Reach more on prospecting

3. "Great company"

Pros

Flexible be your own boss. So fun to work with people helping them feel and look better. Great structure to allow you to do as much or as little as you want

Cons

I don’t have any negative comments to add here the company has been and continues to be a wonderful organization

"Independent Beauty Consultant"

Current Employee - Independent Consultant in Cottonwood, MN
    Current Employee - Independent Consultant in Cottonwood, MN

I have been working at Mary Kay part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Best commission in the country, positive co-workers, enthusiastic directors, great prizes for reaching your goals and next to free training - anything that costs is tax deductible. It works when you work and sometimes has residuals even when you don't.

Cons

Occasionally reading comments from disgruntled former consultants who were too rebellious to follow the proven career path.

Advice to Management

Don't belittle "Personal Sales Reps". They can come through for you when the clock's ticking. And when the time's right, they could even blossom into full-time team members for you -- if you treat them right.

5. "Mary Kay"

Current Employee - Consultant in Omro, WI
    Current Employee - Consultant in Omro, WI

I have been working at Mary Kay part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible
     Has a lot of people who will help you learn.

Cons

Times time to move up

Advice to Management

Continue to help people grow quickly!

"You make money when you have money."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Fe, NM
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Fe, NM

I worked at Mary Kay (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working for yourself independently. You are your own boss that you get to plan the hours you work that makes it really convenient . Decent money if you have a good customer base & You team build & promote yourself to director. You can earn tons of prizes from the company as well as your director. Training entrance which is always wonderful. A lot of wonderful amazing women you get to work on side of every day. You make women young & old feel like a million bucks- feel gorgeous-feel pretty-AND look instantly younger! A lot of happy people that will look stunning as they age. Guiding other ladies down the path of self care. Giving back to the community through fundraisers, etc. I’ve helped the Boys & Girls Clubs, nursing home residents, hospital patients, school children, contestants on gameshows, the list goes on & on. Finally, personal growth. You can team build anywhere in the US, and when/if you become a Director you can team build around the world. I believe it’s 33 countries that MK sales in. Love the 90% buyback guarantee. The opportunity to earn the use of a FREE car isn’t so bad either!

Cons

It felt like I had become a member of a cult. My family & friends felt the same way too. It was MK this, MK that, MK, MK, MK everything. Every waking moment I was engrossed with it in some fashion. There’s A lack of training in many areas. On the business side it’s a disgrace! As far as the training on taxes, having your office in order, and how to run a successful business -it is pretty much nil until about a month before tax time. Even then there is very minimal training- one hour tops. And they waste more paper! Everything has to be printed, because the training for everything is online just go and look in the filing cabinet on any Dierctors MK team page. Omg! I can’t tell you how many times I needed just a little help, non the less my Director would just toss me to the side & send me down the wild goose egg aisle. Once in said filing cabinet, you’ll peruse until you can’t peruse anymore. There is SO many awesome ideas, themes, omg it’s every woman’s wonderland! Except you’ve spent 4 hours looking for something that you never found, you can’t remember why you went there in the first place, you’ve wiped out 3 large oak trees that are happily now pieces of paper that are strewn across your lap, the couch, half the living room floor, into the kitchen stealing your entire kitchen table & all semblance of peace & order in your home. Now you have 22 SUPER ideas, that when you speak to & run past your Director she interjects before you can even get momentum-no, the reason why blah blah blah take this out do that different etc, spend 2-4 hours on the phone with her confusing your brain that’s already busting at the seams from information download to immma gonnnna blow! And indeed there she blows- my time, my emotions/ego, my spirituality, me-everything I have-a heart willing to do the job to the best of my ability-change the world one face at a time, make a difference, make everyone feel special, loved & cared...except me. I was a number. My ExDirector is part of the cult heritage that sadly has dictated this amazing company for many a decade. They have you invest as much as you can in inventory (5K retail investment in inventory is the golden goose of MK-that’s $10,000 in retail worth of makeup & beauty products. That’s a heck of a lot! This product mainly all has a shelf life, so it’s been sitting in a warehouse 2-4 years, you get it, it has to be sold before expiration. That should be easy enough to know-The expiration date – you would think, but nope it’s some Davinci code that’s so complicated & weird. Impossible! Once I figured it out (I think I did anywho) it seemed like my product only had about a year to two years left to sell it. You don’t sell it, it expires...you’re the brand new owner of old beauty products you can’t sell-you can’t wear, it’s useless & now trash-garbage yep.heres a good question: Why would you punish your loyal Independant beauty consultants? Why have us write off the loss? Wouldn’t a big, huge company whose sales annually are in the millions- wouldn’t it be beneficial for everybody if they would write it off? Here’s what happened to me- Everything trickles down to the person that invests in themselves to become a part of Mary Kay- as an independent beauty consultant who invests everything they have in their heart- their songs- their dreams and passions and every time it comes out of our Pocket. Lots of prizes, but they’re cheap little trinkets that are sparkly and shiny oh so pretty-for a few times that you wear it then the copper starts rubbing off- from China for our prizes and then they don’t even have thebdecency to takeThe tacky round Made in China stickers off. This company feeds off of their salesforce that is their bread-and-butter. The lack of training -true training and having a quality leader someone that isn’t a cult queen- my ExDirector literally teaches that people are numbers & you have to just go through them-next, next, next in order to earn the car or become director. Not all are like her and most of the Mary Kay cult is finally retiring & leaving. Thankfully! Excellent company & a great way to make money if you have money. if you don’t have money do not get into direct sales. go get a regular job, get on your feet-meet people at that job and you’ll be meeting your future customers that will be the catapult to you leaving your 9-5 & being a lady BOSS-operating your very own business! Be smart work smart & Good luck!

Advice to Management

There are so many things I’ll have to come back & do this later...lol seriously this is taking a lot of my time. I’ll be back!

7. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Addison, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Addison, TX

I have been working at Mary Kay full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mary Kay is a great company to work for. Good benefits and good intentions from the Leadership teams. Some periods may be harder/busier than others, but this can be expected everywhere.

Cons

Interactions within the company among the various business groups can be very political, which will get in the way of getting things done. I have not before worked in a company where politics had been taken to this degree.

8. "Technical Consultant"

I have been working at Mary Kay full-time

Pros

Compensation, benefits, worklife balance and top executives.

Cons

Depending on the managers, employees do get lost and unrecognized in the shuffle.

9. "Horrible"

Pros

The only pro is you get to choose when you work. That's all I got out of it. You can get benefits but it's near impossible.

Cons

Hard to make money
    The other people working there try to sabotage you
    You hear about all the great benefits you CAN get but rarely do
    It costs more than you make
    In order to do anything you have to recruit new people

"Be careful of that pat on your back as it probably is a knife"

Pros

Nice gate around the property

Cons

There are too many to list

Advice to Management

Remember the golden rule