MasteryConnect Reviews | Glassdoor

Mick Hewitt

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Weed and Feed"

I have been working at MasteryConnect full-time

Pros

Great people to work with and for. Strong sense of Team and unified vision for the company. Finally have a mission statement and clear sense of vision. Executive Team loves their company and want to be around to help it grow in a strong and meaningful way that can provide careers for us long-term (instead of grow as fast as you can to sell). People at MasteryConnect are creative, supportive, approachable and encourage you to speak up and reach out.

Cons

Still feel some effects of previous selfish and poor management that caused the 2 RIF's.

Advice to Management

Stay the course. The last RIF hurt many good people but also helped get rid of those that were only in it for themselves and taking the company down. Make sure everyone knows your commitment to the health and welfare of the company, the product and the people who work for you. Make sure everyone knows the roadmap and path to long-term success. Hearing directly from the board that they continue to be in full support of the leadership will help. Keep the positive, mission-driven people who believe in what we do and are in it for the long-haul. Don't forget the past - but use it to keep humble and transparent and serving while protective of the culture and people who are committed to what we do and why.

"Lost it's way"

Former Employee - Sales in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Sales in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at MasteryConnect full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company, great product, great vision

Cons

Bad apples hired in leadership, unwillingness to accept responsibilities for mistakes led to a nosedive for the company

"New Direction / Still A Great Place to Work"

I have been working at MasteryConnect full-time

Pros

Business has gone through some big changes over the last year which have been tough on all of us, but the end result is a refined and simplified product roadmap and company vision and a clear path to sustainability. There are really good people here who largely care just as much about the mission of the company (help teachers improve student learning) as they do about helping the company succeed financially. Competitive pay and amazing benefits. Work life balance is better than before but still very busy.

Cons

Still figuring some things out, trying to operate efficiently with a smaller team, but missteps are probably a normal part operating a newly restructured company

Advice to Management

keep communicating clearly and concisely progress against goals, be willing to adjust the plan when misses happen

"Company is not where it should or could be"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Orem, UT
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Orem, UT

I worked at MasteryConnect full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people
    Apple products
    Office location
    Beer and pizza on Friday
    Slack
    Ping pong table
    A young crowd

Cons

Layoffs because sales didn't hit their numbers
    Clients that make the most noise got what they want
    They chase dollars and get into trouble
    SFAT was promised and wasn't built
    XBOX only, no PS4
    Most of the Nerf guns don't work

Advice to Management

Focus on what matters
    Use data to guide the company
    Keep things simple
    Recognize a good thing when you have it

"Seriously?!"

I worked at MasteryConnect full-time

Pros

Nothing. But really, nothing. The MasteryConnect that once was could be considered the best place in town. Now? Not even close.

Cons

Even after leaving the company they continue to bad mouth and bother previous employees. Actually, the bad mouthing is shared with current and previous. It's like that crazy ex-girlfriend you just can't shake.

Advice to Management

They won't take any advice.

"Terrible Management"

I have been working at MasteryConnect full-time

Pros

Salary is ok. Health insurance is good. The hours are good.

Cons

The product is not very competitive anymore and salespeople are struggling to get new customers. The morale is very low, and there is very little communication. The elephant in the room is the management team. They are the worst I've worked for. It's impossible to trust them because they are so negative, and arrogant. They talk bad about people that leave. Many employees are looking for other jobs.

Advice to Management

You are in over your heads. Find someone to save this. You don't seem capable of listening to anyone but yourselves.

"Miss it"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at MasteryConnect full-time

Pros

I truly loved working for MasteryConnect. It felt like there were huge opportunities for growth for me individually, and the company encouraged that growth. My coworkers were bright and great to work with. Great amenities, equipment, office and benefits. Inspiring product. It was probably the most exciting place I've worked, and I felt it important for others to know that.

Cons

Despite claiming to be transparent and not reporting much negative news, the company was forced/decided to lay off over half of it's employees in 2016 over two separat RIF, and I still don't fully know what happened. Even the CEO was voted out by the board, so I can't offer any outlook on where it will be going. I always had a feeling that it was "too good to be true", and that turned out to be right.

8. "Time Well Spent"

I worked at MasteryConnect full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work was rewarding with knowing that what I did directly helped teachers and students. Co-workers were excellent, positive people who I loved working with. Lots of good benefits/perks (unlimited PTO, nice computers, snacks. etc). Very open work environment that allows freedom to explore and try new things that can improve the product.

Cons

Like a lot of the recent reviews state, it has become apparent that there were/are a lot of issues with company management. The founders had thought they'd work on MasteryConnect for several years and then sell it off to move on. While I definitely don't understand all the intricacies of their goals, it does seem like they are still trying to figure out what to do now that it hasn't sold. They speak optimistically about it's future, but I think for most employees, there is a lot of uncertainty.

Advice to Management

The employees need some solid belief that things will work out. They don't just want blind optimism; talk to them realistically about how things are going. You need to find a way to get everyone mentally (and emotionally) re-invested in the company again.

"Management Needs a Revamp"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at MasteryConnect full-time

Pros

This is an awesome platform that can have a tremendously positive impact on schools and districts. There are a lot of very passionate people who are dedicated to the success of the company (but those people are fading out).

Cons

- Massive layoffs over the past year; 2/3 of employees have been let go or have left the company.
    - Most of the leadership team lacks leadership skills and are not utilizing, valuing, or recognizing employee contributions and skill sets.
    - Strategic, long-term product vision and project plans are not being developed (or just not being communicated with staff).
    - LOW morale.
    - Lack of cross-functional team collaboration.
    - Bugs and product issues not being addressed in a timely manner (also not strategically).

Advice to Management

Poll current staff anonymously to determine inefficiencies and incompetencies of leadership team and management ... also poll staff on what would boost morale. Address concerns and suggestions proactively and fast -- people are leaving (or looking to leave) in droves. This needs to be addressed immediately. There is a lot of talking in circles, and things are not being addressed that should be addressed. There is a lot of talk among employees, and it would be good or employees to be able to share concerns candidly and without repercussion. I am fearful that this company is going to lose some key employees and not be able to recover.

"ok company - terrible executives"

I have been working at MasteryConnect full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Rank and file are great. Customers are teachers. Health insurance is good, but other benefits are not good anymore. It used to be a great company.

Cons

Beware. This company is dying fast. The current management believe they are smarter than anyone else, including teachers. As long as you kiss their ring you won't get a dagger in you, but it will still be a very unpleasant experience, and you'll be living in fear, and they'll still talk badly about you when you're not around. They do not know what they are doing and it shows. Many of the employees have quit recently, or are looking for a better company.

Advice to Management

Treat support team better so they are positive with customers. Pay attention to customers and listen to them like we used to. Hire someone that knows how to run a business. That's the only hope.