Matlen Silver Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Jim DeSilver

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Transparency - there is no transparency with this company (in 3 reviews)

• Upper management is a complete joke (in 2 reviews)

1. "Awesome Experience"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Matlen Silver full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I would say that Matlen Silver is the full package. They respect their employees and promote a postive enviornment with opportunities you can take advantage of if you work hard. Upper management cares greatly about how the people below them, and they treat them with respect. This was my second job and suprised me because after my first job I felt work could never be exciting. I would recomend working at matlen silver to anyone because of the lessons you learn and the foundation for the exciting culture that is being built everyday.

Cons

The coffee machine is not that great.

Advice to Management

Keep working hard and pushing your employees to be the best they can be.

"Below average staffing firm"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Matlen Silver full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people - I did meet and work with some great people during my 4+ years at Matlen Silver.

Work/life balance - if you are a hard worker and prove you can get your work done without being micromanaged, some flexibility with work schedules is allowed (depends on your branch manager).

I don't know if I would really say it's a pro, but the commission structure is a pretty standard commission structure for the staffing industry. The more money you bring in, the more money you make. The commission structure they had a few years ago was much better than what they have in place now.

Cons

Transparency - there is no transparency with this company. You never know if what leadership is telling you is the truth or some story they are selling you. Open communication goes a long way with your employees and this simply doesn't exist at Matlen Silver.

Client base - they have a handful of large enterprise clients, but not enough clients to balance the ups and downs in this industry. They rely so heavily on a few accounts that if one client has cuts or a hiring freeze, it significantly impacts the business. They closed the Chicago office in part due to this (as well as poor leadership).

Turnover - they really struggle to retain talent. Most people work there for about a year to gain industry experience and then move on to opportunities that pay more or have better growth potential.

Advice to Management

Commincate and be transparent with your employees.

Learn from your mistakes (and actually take ownership of mistakes). When someone quits, find out why they quit so you can get better instead of brushing it under the rug and telling the rest of the employees that it's a good thing they are no longer with the company.

"Technical recruiter"

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Matlen Silver full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some really great coworkers. Great training in New Jersey. Great place to learn if you put the work in yourself! Your coworkers will help!

Cons

Turnover! I worked there about a year and saw about 10 people get fired or put on a plan so they would quit. Instead of trying to help people get better they just give up on them and let them drown.

Bad attitudes! Negative environment. Recruiters get spoken to like dogs by account managers.

Pressure to move into sales. If you’re doing well in recruiting they push you into sales with false pretenses and convince you it’s the right move and once you make the move once again, you’re left to drown with hardly any help from management.

No HR- if there was a problem or conflict in the office there was never any sit down and trying to solve it, even if people requested it. Just the manager playing both sides.

Lack of trust in management. Anything said to management was repeated even if asked not to be. On the other hand management made remarks and comments to employees about other employees that was totally inappropriate.

Advice to Management

Realize that you are responsible for setting the tone and attitude for your employees. If you are having problems with employees it’s lack of leadership. Take conflict head on instead of avoiding it.

“Attitude reflects leadership”

"Stay away. Ignore the fake positive reviews on here!"

Former Employee - Resource Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Resource Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Matlen Silver (Less than a year)

Pros

Free coffee and free happy hours. There are some good people and coworkers within this company, but usually the good ones are the ones who leave to go onto bigger and better gigs.

Cons

There is a ton of turnover at this company and an overall toxic environment. The Client Resource Managers are very catty and love to play both sides to their advantages. Also, there is an extreme lack of HR and no one ever addresses the issues within the office and corporation.

Advice to Management

Realize that you are setting the tone and lack of professionalism for employees. There are some good people at this company, but for every good person, there are 10 more bad and catty people who will not hesitate to throw you under the bus.

5. "Senior IT Consultant"

I have been working at Matlen Silver full-time

Pros

Compensation package is very competitive

Cons

Insurance coverage options are limited

Advice to Management

Improve health care coverage

"Over three years and I hope for another fifteen"

Current Employee - Client Solutions Manager
    Current Employee - Client Solutions Manager

I have been working at Matlen Silver full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I started as a recruiter and promoted to sales. I have worked at other places in the industry and this place hands down gets it. They pay well and promote the smartest and hardest workers. I have been here for the growth and look forward to more. I am the type that engages and when you do here there is no limit to what you can reach or get.

Cons

There really are none that stick out. I see the complaints on here and I get it. Hire less of the trainee model. This generation has to always blame someone else when they fail.

Advice to Management

Ignore what people write here. Keep promoting from within. I love that my manager has been there and done my job. Builds a special bond.

7. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Matlen Silver full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been at Matlen Silver for several years and have had a great experience. I've been promoted into several different positions during my time here. IT Staffing is not an easy industry to be in, but I feel like at Matlen I've always had the support I've needed to not only enjoy my job, but to grow in it as well. If you work hard, put the company first, make sacrifices to be successful, upper management will see that and they promote from within. They are great about acknowledging employee's success and do a great rewards trip to Cancun every year. Everyone, from the owner, to the COO, to sales, to recruiting is approachable, helpful, and in it with the same common goal in mind. It's a great organization to be a part of if you are focused and in it for the right reasons - to make money and be successful!

Cons

Everything is what you make of it. This job, like any, can be stressful and challenging, but the rewards far exceed any negatives!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Keep up with trainings, keep getting the teams connected, and keep growing the company and putting strong leaders in place.

8. "Great company and terrific people"

I have been working at Matlen Silver full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been at Matlen Silver for a little over a year and have been very happy. There are a lot of opportunities for me to grow and be promoted and the people I work with are passionate about what they do.

Cons

There are no cons for me.

Advice to Management

Please keep doing what you're doing. It was tough for me in the beginning but the conversations and open door policy is tremendously helpful. I've always felt my manager has been there for me when I needed it most day or night and the enthusiasm is inspiring.

"STAY AWAY"

I worked at Matlen Silver full-time (More than a year)

Pros

????? ??? ??? ???? ????

Cons

Performance means nothing here. Become friends with management and you'll go far! Doesn't listen to concerns. "Branch managers" serve more as puppets than actual management.

Advice to Management

Actually read these comments on here to see where you can improve. The positive reviews on here are primarily fluff - just look at your turnover rate within the last year.

"Unimpressed"

Former Employee - Recruiter
    Former Employee - Recruiter

I worked at Matlen Silver (More than a year)

Pros

Not a terrible training process - go to NJ for a week and learn about role and company. Young, fun group of recruiters to work with.

Cons

Don't care as much about employees as they let off - make decisions that don't benefit anyone but upper management. As recruiters, they know what to say to get you in the door, but promises are empty and it isn't what you expect.

Advice to Management

Be the company you say you are in the interview process.