Meritor Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Meritor President & CEO Jay Craig
Jay Craig

Pros
  • Work/life balance is good in some departments but poor in other areass (in 9 reviews)

• Very active position and tons of opportunity to learn with a great group of people to learn from (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management to listen to the people on the floor (in 6 reviews)

• Revolving door management team, bringing their own people in to replace current employees (in 4 reviews)

"I wake up every morning looking forward to the journey."

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Meritor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management, work life balance, access to resources, and the feeling that you can have an actual impact in a global organization with +8,000 employees. Modern, safe, and fun work environment with extremely talented employees. All levels from low level management to executive leadership are committed to their employees and leading the company in a very transparent yet extremely competitive matter.

Cons

While the commercial vehicle industry is vital to the economy and in some fashion directly connected to almost every other industry it still is not the most glamorous industry.

Advice to Management

Run with the Bull is an amazing and transformational movement that has set a precedent for the commercial vehicle industry. Corporate and brand identity/awareness may not be as critical in terms of the nature of our business, but when it comes to recruiting young talent for roles in an aging industry there is nothing millennials desire more than working for a "cool" company.

2. "Proceed With Caution"

Former Employee - Information Technology in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Troy, MI

I worked at Meritor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pros of working for Meritor are pretty standard.
    -Decent Salary
    -Somewhat lenient with time off (PTO or personal)
    -More paid company holidays than any other company I've come accross
    -Nice Facility

Cons

Keep in mind that this review is from my perspective. It has been over a year since I left Meritor, so I write this with a clear head, but I can only speak to my personal experience.

A few cons I experienced working here are as follows...

There is absolutely no sense of organization. A project involving multiple people that should take a few days can take months. For example, I when I on boarded we were aware of a deadline that had to be met in 16 months. The work leading up to it should have taken maybe 3 months. But we had a year and a half to prepare, then at the final hour management and SDM's finally decided to start working on it. It was one of the most stressful experiences I have ever been a part of. Everyone was panicking, frantically trying to get everything ready before the deadline (which of course was missed). The whole display was an embarrassment.

Second con... One of the biggest red flags you should always pay attention to when starting a new job is how employee morale is. From the get go, it was blatantly obvious that everyone was stressed, overworked, and miserable. I can not even tell you how many times my direct boss told me he hated it there. Morale was low among most employees there. That should have been my first cue to get out.

It's just simply not a fun place to work. Sure, some of the coworkers are friendly, and it helps the day pass. But from my experience, I came in every morning, plopped down at my desk, spent about 90% of my day speaking to no one and manically performing glorified data entry, then booking it out of there as soon as the clock struck 5:00. It's just a job. Not an enjoyable one.

Overall, I truly did not enjoy my experience here. I enjoyed my salary, and that's why I stuck around as long as I did. Looking back, I wish I would have ran out of there much sooner. There are plenty of better jobs out there.

Advice to Management

I guess the one thing that sticks out most to me is to value your employees. Treat them right, and ensure that they are being treated with respect by their coworkers. Also, be involved! If your employee goes an entire week without seeing your face once, even though you only sit a few cubes away, you're doing something wrong. If you remain at least a little bit involved, you'll be able to observe the work that they are actually doing, and maybe gain some appreciation for them. Do right by your employees, and be not just a boss, but a leader.

3. "Senior Buyer"

Former Employee - Senior Buyer in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Buyer in Troy, MI

I worked at Meritor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Somewhat Flexible work schedules. Great culture within department. Opportunity to grow skills through training. Exposure to upper management. Promotes within before going outside.

Cons

Terrible College Reimbursement Program that requires an employee to stay 2 years after completion without paying full cost. Training new employees needs work.

Advice to Management

Stop preaching empowerment. Practice it.

"Favoritism at it's best. Certain upper management individuals look for reasons to blame."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI

I worked at Meritor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Real stuff, you'll be good at the job(but will come at the cost of hair loss and hypertension)
    Money was good but you can make $20K more at GM or Ford.

Cons

Sure, you'll be great at the job but you will not be recognized.
    -Blame games are super strong at this place.
    -If you are a pretty lookin' lady, you've all of a sudden got so much over the guys.
    -Few individuals are definitely on a power trip and want to use their newly acquired position/status to make peoples' lives miserable.
    Furthermore,
    -Your work will not be appreciated, if you found savings opportunities, you wont get pat on the back but rather a more ridiculous and unrealistic savings target.
    -The company believed in 2.5% YOY savings target, which is just an unrealistic target to achieve.
    -Lack of communication between department probably just like any other place.
    -Upper management always ends up being the savior/hero, Buyers who bust the butts will not get squat.
    -There are also groups of bullies that will treat college kids like absolute crap.
    Purchasing sucks everywhere but this place is just the worst. Absolute nightmare.

Advice to Management

Stop the favoritism, hiring just "hot" girls. Moreover, appreciate your employees.
    College kids come to learn there, not so you guys can intimidate and make them cry. They are just starting up, stop acting like a bunch of hypocrites. You also have children or will some day. Disciplining children vs. bullying; BIG DIFFERENCE!

"Aftermarket Supply Chain"

Former Employee - Supply Chain in Florence, KY
    Former Employee - Supply Chain in Florence, KY

I worked at Meritor (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good people working toward shared goals. Process alignment from sales, to planning, operations, finance and I.T.

Cons

Can be volatile related to Market changes in commercial vehical

Advice to Management

Set realistic goals

7. "ARVIN MERITOR REVIEW"

Former Employee - Forklift Operator in York, SC
    Former Employee - Forklift Operator in York, SC

I worked at Meritor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good schedule, good hours, decent money

Cons

Poor management, lack of communication through out company

Advice to Management

Communicate better with each other and employess

"Good company to learn but not to stay"

Former Employee - Purchasing in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Purchasing in Troy, MI

I worked at Meritor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of development opportunities and training; focus on results with clear goals. Team building and family events. Fair pay and because of the size of the company, you can learn about different areas and processes.

Cons

A lot of politics and personal interests in management. If you don't give quick results you are gone; they change and move people all the time and it creates fear in employees . Because they have so much turnover , they promote unprepared people to management positions.

Advice to Management

Don't fire people, develop them and give them the tools to succeed. Value the employees you have with recognition

"Old school culture - not going to change"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fenton, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fenton, MI

I worked at Meritor (More than 5 years)

Pros

The size of the company is good because you can still connect with most individuals at the HQ.

Cons

Every year they go through a change in management and weed out people. This activity makes everyone on edge and often times puts their customers at a loss for who is in charge. This type of old school culture does not bode well for Meritor's reputation in the industry and the Detroit area.

Advice to Management

Listen more to your customers.

10. "Good company to work"

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Troy, MI

Pros

Good company. Good exposure for people willing to take responsibility.

Cons

Too much resistance to change.

11. "Warehouse worker"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Florence, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Florence, KY

I have been working at Meritor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Overtime is optional GUARANTEED 40 HOUR WORK WEEK

Cons

No room for advancement. Limited growth opportunity.

Advice to Management

Fire everybody and start over