MobilityWare Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.3
Dave Yonamine

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The work-life balance is impeccable" (in 11 reviews)

• "Consistent and thorough communication from upper management to the company" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Growing pains of a small company growing exponential" (in 8 reviews)

• "The company is growing pretty quickly but the management and employees are doing a great job of keeping the company culture" (in 3 reviews)

"Something Special and Unexpected"

Current Employee - Producer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Producer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at MobilityWare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I joined MobilityWare approximately two years ago based on a recommendation from a previous coworker. I hesitantly applied as I knew very little about the company and was not experienced in mobile gaming, my expertise was in AAA console games and PC MMOs.

I was nervous at first, but the employees around me were extremely welcoming and spent time getting to know me and help educate me on the differences with what I had been doing before and what I was doing now. As time went on my work ethic and ability was quickly recognized and in the course of the past two years I've been promoted twice. I've never had that at another company and it's been amazing to work with such talented and interesting people.

The culture in the studio is great, there's lots of small groups that meet up after work for various reasons including D&D, an after work-shader club, and board game nights of various types. Employees just need to check the directory in Slack and join the channels that interest them. These activities are even more accessible as the company prefers employees are not crunching or putting in overtime, so you have a nice work/life balance.

The company also offers a solid benefits package, and on-site benefits like free provided snacks, sodas, coffee, anniversary trips, and catered lunches on every friday!

Cons

It's hard to find real cons with the company. I've been places where we didn't get paid, worked crazy overtime, all sorts of issues and I don't see any of those here. There were some temporary growing pains as the company increased in size quite a bit over the past few years, but overall the vast majority of the hires have been fantastic people who find their groove and work hard.

Management even goes out of their way to try and address concerns from employees during all hands meetings, taking questions on the spot and working to take action on concerns, even seemingly small things like requesting windows on our doors so we don't collide when rushing in and out, or using more ecologically friendly dishwares like recyclable coffee cups.

Advice to Management

Please continue to listen to employees, you've been building something great here and I expect it will continue as the years go on. I never knew I'd like this job so much but I have grown very attached to it and my team, and I have management to thank for the opportunities to grow in my career.

"Low Pay"

Pros

Has good reviews... but a truth nobody is commenting about.

Cons

The salaries they offer are low for an expensive market.

Advice to Management

Cut down on the employee trips and catered food and snacks and put it towards better salaries.

Jun 11, 2018 – COO

Hi there, thank you for taking the time to let us know how you feel about compensation at MobilityWare. We strive to stay competitive in the Orange County market place. We do so by utilizing... More

"TERRIBLE place to work and left me emotionally scarred for life!"

Former Employee - QA Analyst in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - QA Analyst in Irvine, CA

I worked at MobilityWare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They have a reasonable benefits package.

A place to hide and collect a paycheck for a while.

Cons

Company depends on success from one or two clients.
    Nepotism and cronyism in the upper management. Very 1950's attitudes.
    Leadership lacks direction, and ability to lead or innovate.
    Company culture is very poor or perhaps "poisonous", so employees and middle management are ignored, not allowed to contribute to helping the company succeed (just given marching orders).
    Leaders appear to make business decisions based on emotional and personal (non business related) reasons.
    Upper management continues to get bonuses even as profits decline fast.

Mar 9, 2018 – COO

We understand that you did not have a positive experience during your tenure with us and we are sorry that was the feeling you walked away with. We appreciate your feedback and acknowledge that you... More

4. "Amazing overall company"

I have been working at MobilityWare full-time

Pros

- Awesome workplace with really cool coworkers
    - Ability to produce great work
    - Evergreen games that will always keep the lights on

Cons

- Complacency among the workforce
    - Questionable morals
    - Questionable long term direction
    - Efficiencies

Advice to Management

Look to hire more technically sound candidates for roles outside engineering/production.

"Absolutely Amazing!"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Irvine, CA

I have been working at MobilityWare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Perks, benefits, culture! Such a great company to work for.

Cons

Thankfully, I don't see any flaws in this company or its leadership.

"Good people, well meaning, top down, reactionary"

I have been working at MobilityWare full-time

Pros

- The company has a heart. Two hearts actually, John & Dave. They are humble, strategic and genuinely have good intentions. This is felt by the entire staff and I hope they continue to be a part of the day to day company leadership.
    - The company is in it for longevity. I've never had a conversation, or got a sense, they're looking for an exit. This is heartening for the staff as you know they're willing to invest in you.
    - There's a family feeling. The company feels like a closer unit than just a group of coworkers, and as a result the employees frame things as 'we' instead of 'the company'.

Cons

- Leadership is often seen to not be demonstrating the espoused company values. Providing transparency at All Hands isn't helpful when the general feeling from the staff is that we're getting a watered down version of what's actually going on. For instance, there was no engineering representation in the studio restructuring discussions. There wasn't a single engineering leader on the core restructuring team, so engineering had no visibility into why/how decisions were being made. In fact, we still don't have it.
    - I think the general feeling among the mid level staff is that the company needs some C-Level help. The specific recommendation that's bounced around is a permanent COO to help resolve disputes among senior staff and streamline the E2E processes of the company.
    - Getting serious about data. To say we are a data driven company has been perceived, to date, as lip service as we haven't seen an actual data vision or strategy emerge from the company. The leadership and ownership of data has been muddy and the team is looking for next level infrastructure and a clear road map.
    - Executive interference can sometimes demoralize the team. More specifically, the CEO will often step in and lower the bonus reward of mid to lower level employees based on lunchroom perceptions. Despite having little to no interaction with these individuals their end of year take home pay can get dramatically affected based on the few interactions they have had with the company CEO. This disheartens the managerial staff and the perception is that it is unfair to the employees.

Advice to Management

Don't act in a reactionary way, you don't need to refactor the studio every 3 months. Let product owners manage their people.

Jul 10, 2017 – Sr. HR Admin

We really appreciate your taking the time to share your thoughts. We take feedback very seriously here, and use it every day to continue to support the amazing culture that is MobilityWare.
    We would... More

7. "Great place to work"

Pros

MobilityWare's culture is unbelievably. Never have I worked in a location where the owners of the company would sit down with you and talk about topics outside of work. The staff is incredible and upper management is fantastic!!!

Loved the work that I did at MobilityWare and do miss the people, culture and my boss very much!!!

Cons

None that I have seen!!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!!!

"Yay MobilityWare!!!"

Current Employee - Game Artist in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Game Artist in Irvine, CA

I have been working at MobilityWare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love working at MobilityWare. The culture is awesome - free lunch on Fridays, unlimited PTO, no dress clothes, and everyone is really nice. I don't know anyone who doesn't enjoy coming to work. Even if something upsets them at the moment, they still say that MobilityWare is the best company they've ever worked for (and I'm talking about even those who worked for Disney).

Privately owned. Don't have to worry about getting laid off in masses if you don't please your public shareholders.

Trying to tap into different markets beyond just Solitaire.

Cons

No AAA titles. (This might be OK since we don't have to worry about failing the shareholders.)

Slow to ship games. Solitaire is their big money maker, along with BlackJack and a couple new games they recently acquired, so there is no huge consequence if we don't ship the game on time. I know they want to, and we do discuss this repeatedly. Right now, it seems more like - do we make the game perfect or ship it. Always seems to be revisions and then the release date gets pushed back.

Advice to Management

Before starting on another project, research the game you want to make before designing to save headaches - get the right people who know how the game works on the team at the beginning. (I know you've hired people to fix this already. :) This is just retrospective.)

9. "Great company!"

I worked at MobilityWare full-time

Pros

I enjoyed my time there and thought it was a wonderful place to work with smart and easy people to collaborate with!

Cons

Their team has been slow to innovate and create any successful titles outside of their golden egg suite of Solitaire apps. They can't rest on their laurels!

"People First, Product Second"

I have been working at MobilityWare full-time

Pros

As the title would suggest, Mobilityware really does put its people and culture first. The benefits and pay are great, they do a lot to really treat their workers (parties, company trips, etc.), and not surprisingly have a wealth of talented people in their employ as a result.

The company is privately owned and has a golden egg (Solitaire) that keeps them from ever worrying about deadlines, on any project. Crunching is unheard of, and work pace is steady at its fastest.

Cons

Prioritizing everyone's happiness results in very little discipline for people who are actually terrible workers, leaving others to pick up the slack (though again, this is not an issue since there is zero urgency to actually get anything done).

Game and product design don't seem to follow an actual strategy-- just copy a random successful mobile game and rejoice wildly if it makes even a cent (and if it doesn't, just shrug and make another copy).

As a result most of the games are barely fun or interesting, but Solitaire will always keep the lights on, so making boring unsuccessful games doesn't really matter to them.

Advice to Management

Take advantage of the security Solitaire affords you and come up with something really amazing, innovative, and actually FUN so that your employees can take pride in the product they are working on.