MobilityWare Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Absolutely Amazing!"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Irvine, CA

I have been working at MobilityWare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Perks, benefits, culture! Such a great company to work for.

Cons

Thankfully, I don't see any flaws in this company or its leadership.

2. "Good people, well meaning, top down, reactionary"

I have been working at MobilityWare full-time

Pros

- The company has a heart. Two hearts actually, John & Dave. They are humble, strategic and genuinely have good intentions. This is felt by the entire staff and I hope they continue to be a part of the day to day company leadership.
    - The company is in it for longevity. I've never had a conversation, or got a sense, they're looking for an exit. This is heartening for the staff as you know they're willing to invest in you.
    - There's a family feeling. The company feels like a closer unit than just a group of coworkers, and as a result the employees frame things as 'we' instead of 'the company'.

Cons

- Leadership is often seen to not be demonstrating the espoused company values. Providing transparency at All Hands isn't helpful when the general feeling from the staff is that we're getting a watered down version of what's actually going on. For instance, there was no engineering representation in the studio restructuring discussions. There wasn't a single engineering leader on the core restructuring team, so engineering had no visibility into why/how decisions were being made. In fact, we still don't have it.
    - I think the general feeling among the mid level staff is that the company needs some C-Level help. The specific recommendation that's bounced around is a permanent COO to help resolve disputes among senior staff and streamline the E2E processes of the company.
    - Getting serious about data. To say we are a data driven company has been perceived, to date, as lip service as we haven't seen an actual data vision or strategy emerge from the company. The leadership and ownership of data has been muddy and the team is looking for next level infrastructure and a clear road map.
    - Executive interference can sometimes demoralize the team. More specifically, the CEO will often step in and lower the bonus reward of mid to lower level employees based on lunchroom perceptions. Despite having little to no interaction with these individuals their end of year take home pay can get dramatically affected based on the few interactions they have had with the company CEO. This disheartens the managerial staff and the perception is that it is unfair to the employees.

Advice to Management

Don't act in a reactionary way, you don't need to refactor the studio every 3 months. Let product owners manage their people.

MobilityWare Response

Jul 10, 2017 – Sr. HR Admin

We really appreciate your taking the time to share your thoughts. We take feedback very seriously here, and use it every day to continue to support the amazing culture that is MobilityWare.
    We would... More

3. "Great place to work"

Pros

MobilityWare's culture is unbelievably. Never have I worked in a location where the owners of the company would sit down with you and talk about topics outside of work. The staff is incredible and upper management is fantastic!!!

Loved the work that I did at MobilityWare and do miss the people, culture and my boss very much!!!

Cons

None that I have seen!!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!!!

"Yay MobilityWare!!!"

Current Employee - Game Artist in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Game Artist in Irvine, CA

I have been working at MobilityWare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love working at MobilityWare. The culture is awesome - free lunch on Fridays, unlimited PTO, no dress clothes, and everyone is really nice. I don't know anyone who doesn't enjoy coming to work. Even if something upsets them at the moment, they still say that MobilityWare is the best company they've ever worked for (and I'm talking about even those who worked for Disney).

Privately owned. Don't have to worry about getting laid off in masses if you don't please your public shareholders.

Trying to tap into different markets beyond just Solitaire.

Cons

No AAA titles. (This might be OK since we don't have to worry about failing the shareholders.)

Slow to ship games. Solitaire is their big money maker, along with BlackJack and a couple new games they recently acquired, so there is no huge consequence if we don't ship the game on time. I know they want to, and we do discuss this repeatedly. Right now, it seems more like - do we make the game perfect or ship it. Always seems to be revisions and then the release date gets pushed back.

Advice to Management

Before starting on another project, research the game you want to make before designing to save headaches - get the right people who know how the game works on the team at the beginning. (I know you've hired people to fix this already. :) This is just retrospective.)

5. "Great company!"

I worked at MobilityWare full-time

Pros

I enjoyed my time there and thought it was a wonderful place to work with smart and easy people to collaborate with!

Cons

Their team has been slow to innovate and create any successful titles outside of their golden egg suite of Solitaire apps. They can't rest on their laurels!

"People First, Product Second"

I have been working at MobilityWare full-time

Pros

As the title would suggest, Mobilityware really does put its people and culture first. The benefits and pay are great, they do a lot to really treat their workers (parties, company trips, etc.), and not surprisingly have a wealth of talented people in their employ as a result.

The company is privately owned and has a golden egg (Solitaire) that keeps them from ever worrying about deadlines, on any project. Crunching is unheard of, and work pace is steady at its fastest.

Cons

Prioritizing everyone's happiness results in very little discipline for people who are actually terrible workers, leaving others to pick up the slack (though again, this is not an issue since there is zero urgency to actually get anything done).

Game and product design don't seem to follow an actual strategy-- just copy a random successful mobile game and rejoice wildly if it makes even a cent (and if it doesn't, just shrug and make another copy).

As a result most of the games are barely fun or interesting, but Solitaire will always keep the lights on, so making boring unsuccessful games doesn't really matter to them.

Advice to Management

Take advantage of the security Solitaire affords you and come up with something really amazing, innovative, and actually FUN so that your employees can take pride in the product they are working on.

"Greatest place I've ever worked!"

Current Employee - Marketing Artist in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Artist in Irvine, CA

I have been working at MobilityWare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people, the food, the culture, the fun and the passion; Everyone has something to offer and the mindset to enact it. The strength of our company lay in the unity we maintain by staying a resourceful and open minded entity. Together we lift each other up, push our ideals forward and share in the positive energy generated by one another.

Cons

There's no shower on the premises, so I'm forced to go home from time to time.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to each employee as an equal while remembering that a wealth of experience does not mean that there isn't room for growth.

"Great compay, great people."

Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Irvine, CA

I have been working at MobilityWare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work-life balance is a core value, not just a slogan. Profitable, stable company with awesome people making fun games for mobile.

Cons

Growing pains due to some rapid growth but that is smoothing out nicely.

Advice to Management

Be brave, take risks.

"Great company culture. I enthusiastically recommend this company."

Current Employee - Senior Game Artist in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Game Artist in Irvine, CA

I have been working at MobilityWare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company Culture is not just a talking point but is a core value as we try to maintain our small company feel even though we've been growing by leaps and bounds.
    We are well taken care of here, comfortable working ours with no crunch hours, Friday lunch, yearly Game Jams, Christmas Parties and Company Trips.

Cons

Because of the high value on company culture there definitely is a high standard for hiring here.
    The teams are highly collaborative because of this it can get a bit noisy at times. Thank goodness for the Quiet Rooms!

"We Got Game"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at MobilityWare full-time

Pros

People are treated with compassion
    Work life balance
    Amazing leadership
    Incredible perks
    Free lunch Friday
    Great work and some good problems to solve

Cons

Growing rapidly and processes are lacking or breaking
    Roles are not entirely clear on all games
    Some communication challenges, particularly where there are new team members
    Need more empowerment outside of the leadership levels

Advice to Management

Let your leaders and team members make more decisions. Many of us having been doing this for some time now and want to move faster.