Monotype Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Monotype President and CEO Scott Landers
Scott Landers

1. Featured Review

"A great company to work for"

Current Employee - Sales in Woburn, MA
    Current Employee - Sales in Woburn, MA

I have been working at Monotype full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company has made some exciting acquisitions in the past few years and is currently tying it all together. The sales team has been reorganized and set up to aggressively hunt for new business. There are a lot of new faces on the sales team (including myself), along with some very tenured people who are always willing to help when you have questions. It's not uncommon to see senior management walking through the office and conversing with any employee, regardless of role. They're very approachable and care deeply about the organization. There's a ton of opportunity to come in here, be creative, and grow professionally.

Cons

None.

The organization is going through a transition, like almost every other technology company out there. In order to stay relevant, companies need to be flexible which means employees need to be flexible. An "adapt and overcome" mindset is a must at any organization.

Advice to Management

Stay the course. Continue to communicate. Continue to train on products and leadership skills.

"Exceeded my expectations"

Current Employee - Engineering Management in Woburn, MA
    Current Employee - Engineering Management in Woburn, MA

I have been working at Monotype full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Have been here for more than a year. Has truly exceeded my expectations. Company is going through a change ... change is hard and takes time, effort and commitment. Many of the newer people are excited, but takes time to turn the old guard around.

Cons

Many people have been at Monotype for a long time. They don't understand that the old revenue streams will go away and the company has to re-invent itself. Many are having a hard time making the change that is needed.

Advice to Management

Change is hard, but its needed. Figure out the folks that are willing to go along and have them help the rest of the troops

"Sinking Ship"

Former Employee - Sales in Woburn, MA
    Former Employee - Sales in Woburn, MA

I worked at Monotype full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most people are great to work with, laid back office environment / casual dress, the font industry itself is genuinely interesting.

Cons

The company uses stock and benefits as an excuse to pay employees mediocre salaries which is no longer an effective tactic as the stock price has been cut in half in the last 2 years. The HR department is beyond incompetent and painful to work with. Company perks (holiday party) are slowly disappearing. Jobs are being outsourced to India and work quality is suffering as a result.

Advice to Management

Your vision is worthless if you lack the ability to execute upon it. Focus on maintaining the core business before wasting money on questionable tech startups. Pay top performers well or risk losing them.

"Unstable –High Attrition -Poorly Mg - Do not recommend at all"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woburn, MA

I worked at Monotype full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

None that I can speak of. It is a sad demise of a great company, dedicated group of people and industry leader in a mater of a few years.

Cons

Monotype is in a downward spiral focusing on the bottom line, not their employees or customers best interests and not quality product dev anymore. The CEO left and the CFO filled his spot. Making money has replaced quality. Many Monotype employees that had a long tenure at the company, have left on their own/fed up or been pushed out by upper management in the last few years. They are left with a hard mkt as worked in a niche area and in their older yrs of employment. These folks are whom the younger new employees refer to in the reviews as being friendly/helpful. Left is a shell of the previous wealth of industry knowledge and connections to customers.
    MT has rebranded to a younger (Lower salaried) team spearheaded by a very toxic mkting grp. It has been a long and poorly executed process with resentment by employees and clients as well. Management teams add odds and have no symmetry. Everyone in mid mgt fearing for his or her jobs.
    Training is poor with no upward movement. You remain in the same position forever– no cross training and many hrs. of work. Sr Mgt is making money hand over fist while employees are left short changed.
    Product development has a lower quality level with now jr. experience engineering teams off shored. Stocks way down… HR and Sr Mgmt. must be writing the positive Glassdoor reviews!

Advice to Management

Sadly to much to say... I had loved working for MT…

6. "good with bad"

Former Employee - Associate Software Quality Engineer in Woburn, MA
    Former Employee - Associate Software Quality Engineer in Woburn, MA

I worked at Monotype (Less than a year)

Pros

Close working group, fair share of exposure.

Cons

Work life balance, Compensation can be better.

Advice to Management

Better Management.

"A manufacturing company slowly becoming a modern tech firm"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Woburn, MA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Woburn, MA

I worked at Monotype full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I really liked working for Monotype. The projects are good if you're a technically-minded creative person, or a creatively-minded technical person. A lot of the people there are really great, and the company is growing (relatively logically). Lots of vacation time!

Cons

I worked at Monotype for five years and went to one conference and met no clients. I was so far removed from the work and the community that my connection to my work was poor: not a good motivator. Also, I had to fight to be taught new things. They really had no interest in taking care of my career and helping me to become a better employee. Even if it all went well, there was zero room for career advancement for me.

The compensation needs improvement: the salaries are utterly non-competitive from the perspective of software development, which is what they're trying to become. Raises are minimal, barely cost-of-living, with most compensation coming in the form of bonus. This is awful, as bonuses are taxed at a higher rate than salary. If there's a logical reason for this, it has no perceivable benefit to employees.

Some managers are overworked and stressed and you'll be lucky to get any positive feedback from them.

Advice to Management

Straighten out that bonus/salary situation pronto. It's honestly insulting to be told you did a good job and will get a nice bonus, only to lose 10% more of it to taxes than your paycheck.

"Monotype - a great company to work for"

I worked at Monotype full-time

Pros

I enjoyed my tenure at Monotype. I was there for a long time. I had the opportunity to hold multiple positions and report to a few different people. Monotype is a great place to work. The company has an outstanding work/life attitude. The people are great. Management is focused and forward thinking. I trusted management always had the best interest of the company in mind. There's definitely opportunity there. The culture is diverse. The corporation has high ethical standards. It was a fun company to work for!!

Cons

I really don't have anything negative to say

"Great, stable company!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woburn, MA

I worked at Monotype full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Wonderful coworkers, strong management that cares, and fonts are fun! Pay and benefits were great and the work environment is flexible and easy going.

Cons

For a smaller company, spread all over the globe and they haven't adequately invested in the right technologies to ensure the right connectors for global teams.

Advice to Management

Listen to the workforce and take the time to hear their thoughts and ideas.

"Monotype is a well run company with good opportunities for making a real contribution."

I worked at Monotype full-time

Pros

Management is fair and ethical. Products (fonts and software) are developed in several US offices as well as UK, Germany, India, and China so you may find that there is an office near you. Good engineering and quality practices. Reasonable flexibility regarding work hours and where you work.

Cons

The culture is good but could be better. There isn't much outside interaction with colleagues.

11. "Really enjoyed working here"

Former Employee - Support Specialist in Woburn, MA
    Former Employee - Support Specialist in Woburn, MA

I worked at Monotype full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great staff at HQ. No one was "un-approachable"

Cons

Career growth opportunities were somewhat lacking