Monotype Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 102 reviews

3.5
Monotype CEO Scott Landers
Scott Landers
Pros
  • "Work-life balance is a real thing here(in 13 reviews)

• "Fonts are critical to brands worldwide(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Slowly-shrinking legacy revenue base (printers, fonts) shifting into questionable new investments (rent-a-font websites, ad-banner imagery, emojis)(in 6 reviews)

• "(in 4 reviews)

1. "Great company , Good place to grow and learn more in your career"

I have been working at Monotype full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work-life balance, easy communication with senior management and great opportunity to grow. Friendly, supportive and helpful team members and management. Amazin benefits and events. Flexible working hours and work from home add an extra edge to the flexibility.

Cons

Compensation, Raise and Bonuses are low as per the cost of living and pay in the "Boston area".

Monotype2019-03-08

Monotype Response

June 21, 2019Global Manager of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. Work-life balance is one of the great benefits we offer at Monotype and it’s wonderful to hear you value this flexibility as an employee! In terms of compensation, Monotype reviews market data annually to be sure we're offering competitive salaries, bonuses, and professional development training opportunities. We take a holistic approach to provide a competitive total compensation package and will continue to monitor the market to ensure our offerings are aligned. Again, thank you for your feedback and for spending the last two years employed with us! All the best, Jen

"Overall good"

Current Employee - Finance in Woburn, MA

I have been working at Monotype full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits and fun atmosphere.

Cons

Some managers let personal grudges get in the way of business.

Monotype2019-09-24

"Stay away if you can"

Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Monotype full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great work life balance/ get your work done and leave.

Cons

They hire managers just because the manager has great numbers. A great manager doesn't only have great numbers. They should be a people person, should have a high level of emotional intelligence, should be able to build relationships, and you shouldn't feel stupid to ask a question.

Monotype2019-09-12

"Beware"

Former Employee - Pre-Sales Engineer

I worked at Monotype full-time for more than a year

Pros

I gained a lot of personal growth here, but that was mostly because people kept quitting and I started taking on their roles in addition to managing my own. By the time I left, I was a pre-sales engineer, project manager, and director of partnerships all at once without the recognition or respect. They offered 401k matching which is hard to come by these days so that was a plus. And they were fairly lenient with... travel / expensing (but perhaps this is why they are struggling financially). WFH policy was good and I had a great manager who enjoyed working with.

Cons

A very old-fashioned company who is reluctant of change. Leadership constantly tried to gloss over matters that should have raised red flags for many. Pay is not competitive, and not willing to negotiate or even give a raise when it's due. Hiring unskilled salespeople with even worse personal skills is likely a big factor in the company's downfall. Few perks outside of the standard healthcare / 401k offerings.

Monotype2019-08-07

"A constant struggle"

Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Monotype full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Its an interesting business niche

Cons

the 'vision' seems to be foggy at best. Not certain why you think you can continue to make missteps and how you make investments in companies that were never aligned.

Advice to Management

Get new management

Monotype2019-04-30

Monotype Response

June 21, 2019Global Manager of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your perspective. We strive to communicate a cohesive vision that encompasses all of our brands. We recognize the importance of communicating our long- and short-terms goals in a way that is understood at all levels and will continue to focus on this moving forward. Thanks again for sharing as we are constantly looking to improve our approach. All the best, Jen

"Company is moving backward"

Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at Monotype full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Good work life balance. People leave by about 5. It's a ghost town by 6.

Cons

-Healthcare plans are not great. They all have high deductibles - Culture in NYC is atrocious. In Woburn, it feels like a company from 1982. -Stock price continues to fall. -The product team doesn't seem to be in touch with the sales org on what the market actually needs -It seems like each month brings some sort of new cut - be it the snacks (hello vending machine), lay offs, etc.

Advice to Management

The expectations you've had about growth have been consistently wrong, and yet you continue to make bolder goals, and bigger missteps. Regroup, and make a new plan as the ones you've laid out for the last few years are not working. People are leaving and looking in droves.

Monotype2018-11-16

"Company struggling to stay relevant"

Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Monotype full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Relaxed pace. Life is good especially in sales

Cons

Steady employee churn and layoffs of experienced employees. Jobs being outsourced to cut expenses to make up for lack of revenue growth. Nepotism! If you are part of the old boys club you can coast by and having everything handed to you on a silver platter - if not, you need to slog to just keep your job. Landscape has changed so the company is trying to keep itself relevant but continues to struggle. A bunch of... failed acquisitions, constant reinventions haven't helped.

Advice to Management

You are totally disconnected from the reality. Flashy presentations, and marketing goals don't translate to success. Listen to what your employees are telling you and stop patting yourselves on the back for nothing

Monotype2018-10-28

"Great place to work"

Former Employee - Senior Field Applications Engineer in Woburn, MA

I worked at Monotype full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very talented people Large variety of skill sets Focused on new technologies

Cons

Quick to initiate layoffs to make room for new skills

Monotype2018-08-20

"Was a great place to work, but has gone through some changes for the worst"

I have been working at Monotype full-time

Pros

There are some really amazing and talented people that work here and it can be a real joy to learn from each other and work collaboratively. Monotype has a lot of opportunities for growth, but to a point. If you are looking to start your career and get some experience, this could be a great place. It is also highly flexible for some departments, offering work from home days, a huge amount of vacation time and... holidays making it easy to balance work and life. The location is also very convenient for most of Boston Metro.

Cons

Leadership seems to have fallen a part a bit with not a lot clarity around priorities. There are big overarching goals that everyone works towards, but not a lot of clarity around team priorities to meet those goals. Teams are extremely under resourced so it is difficult to get work done and respond dynamically to company needs. Salaries are not very competitive, but there are stock awards that sort of make up for... it. It is difficult if not impossible to move from manager to director or get any sort of management experience if you don't have some already.

Advice to Management

Clarify your vision and admit your losses. Focus resources on innovating the core of the business and you might have a shot at turning this ship around. It is a great company with A LOT of potential, just seems like it's lost its way a bit.

Monotype2018-06-04

"Not that "Type" of company anymore"

I worked at Monotype full-time

Pros

Great People, Good HR group, perks are decent and locations for relocation are in hot spots

Cons

Was at Monotype for 10+ years in finance, operations and engineering. Seeing it evolve from a friendly, low turnover, high margin company to a HIGH turnover, thin margin and inexperienced team makes me sad. The past 2.5 years is not a refreshing wind-up period; it’s the New Monotype. When the stock drops 30%, when the board is looking to sell the company but keeps it a secret while saying "we're doing just fine... from the investments we made" only the $ is from slapping everyone on the wrists for using fonts without a license implying a legal suit behind it if they don't pay-up, when the majority of growth is coming from already closed deals but asking them to pay up 3/5 years ahead for a slight discount, when your largest investor pulls close to $10M out of your business saying the CEO is incompetent, when new management needs to be trained by current low level employees and the veterans of this company are jumping ship...trouble is a brewing. [This is all public information]

Advice to Management

Not promoting from within makes everyone start over. Your veteran employees are the Type experts in the industry; after all, the revenue pre/during/post acquisitions have been from the core anyway. Their experience, knowledge and account relationships came from being on the frontline with the very companies who use Monotype products. These are now the very companies who are eating your lunch and scooping up your... former employees spreading the warning of using Monotype IP. Advice: STOP putting new hires in managerial positions; hired by people who are also new employees themselves that are still learning from the people jumping ship. ***As noted in multiple other reviews. Monotype sales managers should really stop telling employees to write fake good reviews here to lure job seekers into a high churn high pressure sales jobs***

Monotype2018-05-16