Monotype Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Monotype President and CEO Scott Landers
Scott Landers

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Stable, profitable, clear direction, great benefits, flexible work-life balance (in 4 reviews)

• The company is going through an exciting period of growth and transition (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance, Compensation can be better (in 3 reviews)

• Senior leadership is very far removed from employees, teams are building products no one wants (literally (in 2 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A great company to work for"

Current Employee - Sales in Woburn, MA
    Current Employee - Sales in Woburn, MA

I have been working at Monotype full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company has made some exciting acquisitions in the past few years and is currently tying it all together. The sales team has been reorganized and set up to aggressively hunt for new business. There are a lot of new faces on the sales team (including myself), along with some very tenured people who are always willing to help when you have questions. It's not uncommon to see senior management walking through the office and conversing with any employee, regardless of role. They're very approachable and care deeply about the organization. There's a ton of opportunity to come in here, be creative, and grow professionally.

Cons

None.

The organization is going through a transition, like almost every other technology company out there. In order to stay relevant, companies need to be flexible which means employees need to be flexible. An "adapt and overcome" mindset is a must at any organization.

Advice to Management

Stay the course. Continue to communicate. Continue to train on products and leadership skills.

2. "Cool Company"

I worked at Monotype full-time

Pros

Great company and going in some exciting directions. Awesome and modern office to work in.

Cons

The commute for me was not ideal

"Needs better vision"

I worked at Monotype full-time

Pros

There are so many good people working at the company.

Cons

The vision is lost. They don't have their new vision in mind and as a result, had to make many cuts this December. I was there for almost 3 years and the transformation I saw was just utterly confusing. I think the idea to evolve and not rely on fonts forever is a good one, but I think that the process of acquiring and then trying to nurture two subsidies was poorly executed.

Advice to Management

Not much, its a really tough working environment now, fueled by fear and negativity. I think its really unfortunate what happened to the company in the span of 3 years. Work out the plan better and really stick to it.

"Damaging company to work for"

I have been working at Monotype full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free coffee, fruit, and $0.25 snacks, nice office and campus, outdoor and garage parking.

Cons

If you value your identity, work/life balance, and sanity, I would highly suggest you choose another company to work for.

First moving to identity:

You are only as good as the work you do. You are not a person. You are a machine intended to produce.

Work/Life balance:

There is none unless you negotiate it into your offer or you are working in Sales. You come in when you want, but they pay attention to every detail about you leaving for the day. This is because the CEO pitched a fit at one point because he was looking for someone that was working from home one day. Completely did away with the policy.

Sanity:

Open office space is making everyone... miserable. No one wants to feel nervous when they talk to their coworkers for fear of someone overhearing you.

If you don’t mind being a number, not having flexibility, and losing your stable mental state, this is the place for you.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees well and give them what they need. The numbers and success will follow.

"Build products people want to buy"

Pros

Some of the smartest and funniest people I’ve ever worked with, good budgets and resources as well as office spaces. Opportunities exist for career advancement if you wait long enough and have the right manager.

Cons

Senior leadership is very far removed from employees, teams are building products no one wants (literally no one wants them) bad hiring decisions and an old school attitude from the management team.

Advice to Management

Take the company private or sell off the underperforming pieces and go back to what works.

"Lack of business ethics, poor business model, strange acquisition strategy = bad news for investors and employees"

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Monotype full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Woburn office is pretty nice!

Cons

I worked here for a short time and I found it to be, honestly, quite terrible. Without going into absurd detail, their business model is essentially to hunt down big businesses looking for tiny samples of Monotype font violations (the fonts are downloadable for free) then corner their prospects from a legal standpoint, ostensibly for 'infringement violations'. They essentially play a card that says "Look, we want to make sure you're compliant...we're just looking out for you..." while the threat of legal action quietly looms in the background. The truth is (in my opinion) the LAST thing Monotype actually wants is to have to go the legal route - it's as expensive and time consuming for Monotype as it is for the suckers they're chasing. What (I believe) they prefer to do is to coerce businesses into giving them large sums of money without actually having to threaten them with legal action. I do believe that if companies/prospects decided to push back or ignore Monotype, Monotype would have no choice than to drop their prices significantly in order to avoid getting nothing or getting mired down in legal action.

In any case, I found the NYC office to be pretty brutal (my advice: if you're over 40, don't even think about working in the NYC office - you'd be better off at corporate headquarters). For anyone a bit older, inquire with HR about the NYC office demographics before accepting any offers.

So clearly - I advise anyone and everyone to steer clear of this place. Hope this helps someone avoid making a mistake (like I did).

Advice to Management

Think about the potential problems you could have there - there's lots of dysfunction. I

7. "Great first job out of college!"

I have been working at Monotype full-time

Pros

If you want to sell type and font this is the place to be. You can get lots of experience and learn about fonts. You can also get a good salary and matching 401k. Great job if you are recently out of college.

Cons

Very transactional low level job. Reminds me of ADP and Pitney Bows. Also Fonts are not interesting and not a lead into marketing technology. This is important to note because this firm will tell you they are in the marketing space - but they sell fonts. Also depending on the manager you get - well the experience is very different. Mine was all about being mr cool and using his expense account.

Advice to Management

Not much good luck selling fonts. Its boring as can be. But being a boring business can be very profitable.

8. "Exciting times for a 125-year old company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woburn, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woburn, MA

I have been working at Monotype full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is going through an exciting period of growth and transition. Management has expressed a clear growth strategy and appears to be taking action against it. It’s hard to go through change, but the company’s future opportunity is compelling and I’m happy to be a part of its exciting journey! The benefits are great and even as the company has grown, the benefits have stayed the same with a few more perks added each year. We recently got AnyPerks, which offers a bunch of discounts and promotions on everything from movies to gym memberships and wellness programs – it’s been an awesome new benefit. I have been able to take classes at university with the tuition reimbursement too. My salary seems on-par with other job opportunities I get contacted about in my market. Overall, I’ve had a great experience here at Monotype.

Cons

With transition comes change – which is exciting to me – but is not always well received by certain folks. There are a lot of new people joining as the company is growing quite fast. Sometimes it is hard to keep up with all of the new names! The good news is, the company is growing which means lots of opportunity for me to move up and grow.

Advice to Management

I appreciate the ongoing sales training and professional development. It’s helping me be a better leader! Please keep it up!

"A company going a lot of changes in this few years"

Current Employee - Type in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Type in Boston, MA

Pros

If you have any interest in type, it's probably the largest and a legendary company to work at. The company is going through many changes in these few years, I feel like half of the employees left and the new ones came in. (including acquisition)

Cons

Communication between regions and sections is extremely poor. You feel like you are part of the company, but you feel less that it has to be you. Stock price is getting lower and lower.

Advice to Management

Attention to improve communication obstacles and awkwardness among regions and sections.

"Exceeded my expectations"

Current Employee - Engineering Management in Woburn, MA
    Current Employee - Engineering Management in Woburn, MA

I have been working at Monotype full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Have been here for more than a year. Has truly exceeded my expectations. Company is going through a change ... change is hard and takes time, effort and commitment. Many of the newer people are excited, but takes time to turn the old guard around.

Cons

Many people have been at Monotype for a long time. They don't understand that the old revenue streams will go away and the company has to re-invent itself. Many are having a hard time making the change that is needed.

Advice to Management

Change is hard, but its needed. Figure out the folks that are willing to go along and have them help the rest of the troops