NJM Insurance Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.1
Bernard M. Flynn

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Free soup; nicely subsidized lunch - low cost to employee" (in 48 reviews)

• "Good benefits, nice parking lot" (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • "That the way upper management wants it" (in 18 reviews)

• "A micromanaging army style work environment with people sitting in a hostile" (in 10 reviews)

"My NJM Journey"

Current Employee - Business Technical Analyst, Senior in West Trenton, NJ
    Current Employee - Business Technical Analyst, Senior in West Trenton, NJ

I have been working at NJM Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

NJM loves to recognize and promote talent from within, so shortly after joining the company straight out of college I was selected for a highly competitive technology tract. I spent nine great years as a licensed producer and as a software developer gaining a unique insight into both customer facing and internal, business critical processes. But when presented a unique opportunity in a different field, I made the difficult decision to leave NJM - on the best of terms. I expanded my knowledge and gained technology experience at a far more rapid pace than if I had stayed. But I missed it. I missed the culture, the commitment to the values set forth by a driven leadership team. Strong executive leadership committed to a vision to serve the interests of its policy holders while advancing those of the its greatest resource - its employees. I've thought about that and appreciated how fortunate I am every day since my return. After 13 years away, NJM welcomed me back. So much has changed - I'm impressed particularly by how far NJM has come from a technology standpoint. But that culture and commitment to its employees is stronger than ever. I've been back at NJM for almost a year and without a doubt it's the best career decision I've ever made.

Cons

Being busy is a great thing. Sometimes the balance of attending meetings and having time to act on decisions made in those meetings can prove to be tricky even for the most adept managers of time. NJM is no exception to this common workplace rule.

Advice to Management

Continue to offer new and exciting roles and engage your best and brightest. Opportunity is what retains talent. Recognizing this is one thing; committing to it is the key to effecting positive change.

2. "IT Intern"

Pros

- Helpful coworkers
    - Work in the same room with other interns
    - Work you do gets put to use
    - Lunches are cheap

Cons

- Experience largely depends on the project you are assigned
    - Some days are slow, supervisors are busy or not available
    - Intern program project is not relevant to what I was doing and was mandatory

Advice to Management

Make the intern project optional

"Business Analyst and Cost Control"

I have been working at NJM Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, nice parking lot

Cons

Micro managed, strict work hours

Advice to Management

Start hiring real business managers

"A terrible place, and getting worse"

Current Employee - Personal Lines Representative in West Trenton, NJ
    Current Employee - Personal Lines Representative in West Trenton, NJ

I have been working at NJM Insurance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are no longer any.

Cons

Management, leadership, morale, treatment of employees, etc.

Advice to Management

Stop being so blatant in your disregard of long standing, hard-working employees (especially females). You are actively messing with your employees ability to provide for their families.

"WORK HERE IF YOU ENJOY SUFFERING"

Pros

You get to wear jeans on Fridays.

Cons

Micromanagement is beyond ridiculous. You literally have every minute planned out. And if you need time between calls to do work it counts against you. Also there are no sick days so if you call out it looks bad to the company and can hinder you from getting promoted. Also if you GOD FORBID ask for help you get dinged in your monthly evaluations. It hurts the company really but they’re too stupid to realize that the reps just won’t ask for help when they should and in return the customers suffer. Looking to apply here? Just don’t do it man. There is no sunshine in this place only dark gloomy skies.

Advice to Management

You guys need to be fired. Yesterday.

"Saddest place to work"

Pros

Benefits are good but at this point that is all they have going for them.

Cons

Communication is terrible even though I work in an IT department where “team” work is supposed to be promoted. Supervisor level & above is like a secret club & those of us that actually work don’t know what’s going on or what the direction is. Then when you receive your yearly review they tell you you are not team or goal oriented & we all have communication problems (yes we do talk amongst ourselves). Pretty much fear is high here. And our roles changes often so we really don’t know what we are suppose to be doing. Our manager doesn’t leave her office & doesn’t speak to us. There are many times she walks by head down & asks as if she has never met me even though I have been here for 15+ years.

It’s like a bad sitcom. It’s so bad it’s almost laughable. There are people leave our department faster then they can higher them yet nothing is changing. You would think it would be a red flag to someone that their is a problem. ????

Advice to Management

Wake up!

"DO NOT WORK HERE"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in West Trenton, NJ
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in West Trenton, NJ

I have been working at NJM Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The free soup was ok. You're not penalized for breathing. And when you leave you don't have to take your work with you if you're able to shake off the stress of the day. Mind you I'm in great standing with everyone from the representatives to higher management.

Cons

Pretty much everything else to be honest. You're watched by several layers of management constantly. Micromanagement goes to the extreme here. If you're taking a second longer then they think you need as you do your work, they'll have you take on something new and give you very limited time to go back to what you were working on and be upset it wasn't done already. They penalize you for using the bathroom in that any time you take off the phone counts against you and your annual performance reports, which then impacts whether or not you'll get a bonus. You get penalized for calling out sick (they call it an "occurance" where you're only allowed three times, and you have to use your own PTO. And if you use a fourth they'll give you a written warning, if youre allowed to work from home some days they take that away, etc, and you can very well be terminated if you go past thay). The moral is low and getting lower amongst employees (you know it's bad when supervisors are saying they're happy for you if you're looking for careers elsewhere and that it's in your best interest). You'll also never be told you did a good job on anything, but god forbid if you didn't cross a t on a report a year and a half ago, you'll have a meeting about it. Also, with working from home, unless you're an executive they don't pay for any of the equipment. You're expected to pay for your own computer, phone, land line. It's the equivalent of working in a modern day sweat shop.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the fact that most of your new hires leave after a couple years. Listen to them, try and understand what it's like being in their shoes as you're working under a microscope. We're not robots. Don't penalize people for being living human beings.

8. "Claims"

I have been working at NJM Insurance full-time

Pros

Great employee benefits are offered

Cons

Traditional work environment lacking drive for innovation

"A nightmare"

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in West Trenton, NJ
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in West Trenton, NJ

I worked at NJM Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Free soup, health benefits

Cons

In the past year, 5 people were fired after they went to HR to advise that they felt harassed by their supervisor. A company that claims there is no retaliation after speaking up for yourself fires you within a month of going to HR. The harassment claims were relevant because their management will scream at you for a mistake or put you on a warning. A micromanaging army style work environment with people sitting in a hostile work environment on top of one another. It used to be a great place to work but after 10 years I felt like I was going to jail every day. It’s a man happy place and treat women like a prop with no voice.

Advice to Management

Management won’t take any advice from anyone because they have an ego the size of New Jersey.

"Good place to work"

I have been working at NJM Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They treat their employees with respect. They value their employees. It is a nice environment to work in.

Cons

They do not give much paid time off. They do not provide any sick time. If you are sick, they expect you to use your personal time. I think they should pay more for certain postions

Advice to Management

Consider giving your employees some sick time. So when they are sick they can stay home to get better. Also, a few more paid holidays would be nice.