NJM Insurance Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.4
Bernard M. Flynn

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Free soup; nicely subsidized lunch - low cost to employee" (in 48 reviews)

• "Good benefits, lots of time off, mostly pleasant people to work with" (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • "That the way upper management wants it" (in 18 reviews)

• "Unfortunately though, management has no idea how to keep those millennials from leaving since work from home options are only given" (in 7 reviews)

"My NJM Journey"

Current Employee - Business Technical Analyst, Senior in West Trenton, NJ
    Current Employee - Business Technical Analyst, Senior in West Trenton, NJ

I have been working at NJM Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

NJM loves to recognize and promote talent from within, so shortly after joining the company straight out of college I was selected for a highly competitive technology tract. I spent nine great years as a licensed producer and as a software developer gaining a unique insight into both customer facing and internal, business critical processes. But when presented a unique opportunity in a different field, I made the difficult decision to leave NJM - on the best of terms. I expanded my knowledge and gained technology experience at a far more rapid pace than if I had stayed. But I missed it. I missed the culture, the commitment to the values set forth by a driven leadership team. Strong executive leadership committed to a vision to serve the interests of its policy holders while advancing those of the its greatest resource - its employees. I've thought about that and appreciated how fortunate I am every day since my return. After 13 years away, NJM welcomed me back. So much has changed - I'm impressed particularly by how far NJM has come from a technology standpoint. But that culture and commitment to its employees is stronger than ever. I've been back at NJM for almost a year and without a doubt it's the best career decision I've ever made.

Cons

Being busy is a great thing. Sometimes the balance of attending meetings and having time to act on decisions made in those meetings can prove to be tricky even for the most adept managers of time. NJM is no exception to this common workplace rule.

Advice to Management

Continue to offer new and exciting roles and engage your best and brightest. Opportunity is what retains talent. Recognizing this is one thing; committing to it is the key to effecting positive change.

"Good company, good leadership"

Current Employee - Personal Lines Contact Center
    Current Employee - Personal Lines Contact Center

I have been working at NJM Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I’ve worked for this company for almost 20 years in various positions as part of my career progression. The joke used to be that it took years & years for NJM to make a change. Management was stale, unqualified people were promoted from within based on desperation, and yes, sometimes nepotism. The company has done a complete 180 over the past 4-5 years. There’s new, dynamic leadership who have implemented various processes improvements. Positions of authority are being filled by experienced, qualified leaders recruited from outside the company and interview processes have been put in place internally to make sure the best people are placed in open positions. Our technology has improved by leaps & bounds. Performance requirements make sense, align with other companies in the industry, are clearly communicated, and are no longer arbitrary or abstract. In short, NJM is a good company to work for. Executive leadership & front line leadership are actively working on a daily basis to improve the employee experience and motivate staff. This is my first time reading reviews on this platform & I’m shocked at how many people use their review as an opportunity to vent rather than objectively provide information. My advice to prospective applicants is to take the negative reviews with a grain of salt.

Cons

The process of improving our procedures has obviously led to a ton of changes that are communicated at a rapid fire pace. It’s hard to digest and apply new procedures as they’re released. This is frustrating. A lot of front line management’s time is spent in meetings for on going projects which detracts from the time they can spend with staff. It’s all part of a necessary process but it’s hard to work through the growing pains.

Advice to Management

Keep making process improvements. Find a more effective way to communicate change. Reward those who contribute valuably to improvement projects by placing them in appropriate positions so they’re able to focus their efforts & attention.

"Unhappy with new incentive program"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Trenton, NJ
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Trenton, NJ

I have been working at NJM Insurance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Stable industry, physical environment, coworkers. Benefits are largely generous. Onsite amenities such as Wellness Center and Cafeteria. Friendships with coworkers.

Cons

The New employee incentive program stacks the deck against regular employees while ensuring a greater divide between those fortunate enough to be considered part of the elite-- in particular, Officers and Managers.  Sorry Supervisors, you’re lumped in with the rest of the peons despite having, in theory, more responsibility and exerting more effort.  Don’t believe it, then why are the already overcompensated Officers being offered a target of 20% while the lower echelon stays with 7.5%?    Such a program might work elsewhere but under NJM’s current environment of micromanagement and favoritism with no clear career paths and opaque guidelines relative to promotions, it’s a nonstarter.   Also, don’t forget the bar has been raised so high that obtaining an “exceeds performance expectations” or heaven forbid “outstanding performance” rating is near impossible.  That is, unless you are one of the favorites that can do no wrong because you’re buddy buddy with your manager.    This is just another example of HR designing a policy that is pro-company under the disguise of being industry standard.  Will there be oversight of this subjective program? – highly unlikely.

Advice to Management

Try to be more progressive like other companies that are doing away with annual performance evals.  Remove the restrictive HR governing team that fails to think outside of the box and does little to ensure employee satisfaction. Engage employees through surveys.

4. "Claims"

I have been working at NJM Insurance full-time

Pros

Great employee benefits are offered

Cons

Traditional work environment lacking drive for innovation

"Avoid Njm like the plague."

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at NJM Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are no pros to working here. You meet some pretty cool people as long as they aren’t supervisors or upper management.

Cons

First of all everyone loves the eagles so that right there should tell you something. Secondly all the supervisors do when you work in the call center is harass you to get back on the phone. forget about wanting to ask your friend how their doctors appointment went because if you’re not chained to your desk taking phone calls every single second they come looking for you. I guarantee you they will start having us wear diapers to make less time away from our desks. I’m not exaggerating. DO. NOT. WORK. HERE.

Advice to Management

We are not a hospital. We do insurance. Stop acting like you people are out there saving lives. It really isn’t that serious and the customers will survive if the building closes because of A STATE OF EMERGENCY. oh and we all know you have HR write those glowing reviews. Just stop. No one actually likes working here enough to actually leave a good review.

"A nightmare"

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in West Trenton, NJ
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in West Trenton, NJ

I worked at NJM Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Free soup, health benefits

Cons

In the past year, 5 people were fired after they went to HR to advise that they felt harassed by their supervisor. A company that claims there is no retaliation after speaking up for yourself fires you within a month of going to HR. The harassment claims were relevant because their management will scream at you for a mistake or put you on a warning. A micromanaging army style work environment with people sitting in a hostile work environment on top of one another. It used to be a great place to work but after 10 years I felt like I was going to jail every day. It’s a man happy place and treat women like a prop with no voice.

Advice to Management

Management won’t take any advice from anyone because they have an ego the size of New Jersey.

"Good place to work"

I have been working at NJM Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They treat their employees with respect. They value their employees. It is a nice environment to work in.

Cons

They do not give much paid time off. They do not provide any sick time. If you are sick, they expect you to use your personal time. I think they should pay more for certain postions

Advice to Management

Consider giving your employees some sick time. So when they are sick they can stay home to get better. Also, a few more paid holidays would be nice.

"Big Brother is Watching"

Current Employee - Auto Claim Representative in West Trenton, NJ
    Current Employee - Auto Claim Representative in West Trenton, NJ

I have been working at NJM Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Free soup, milk, ice tea, coffee,crackers and oatmeal. It used to
    be a great place to work and they took care of their employees and the employees would speak highly of the company. Those days are gone. They give the appearance of caring but that is all smoke and mirrors.

Cons

If you want to work your butt off and be scrutinized and told
    only about errors you made this is the place for you. If you only want negative feedback as a motivator come and work here. Mind you, the errors found have no affect on the outcome of the claim or service given and you can try your best but get used to being told “You’re doing ok but .....” If you are a conscientious hard worker who prides themselves on being thorough and efficient it will not be good enough. Your emails will be read. Your phone calls will be listened too and every detail of your work can and will be looked at and reviewed. They adhere to micromanagement like it is the best thing since sliced bread. All your excellent work will be viewed as Expected and any error no matter how minor will be brought to your attention personally or in a meeting. Meetings to discuss inconsequential mistakes are routine . Written warnings are given out like candy at Halloween. They fire good workers saying they aren’t productive enough. They repeatedly advise employees they are “at will” and can fire you for no reason. If you ever go back at them in any way they will target you. If you are young and pretty you’ll do ok but that’s a whole other story.

Advice to Management

Happy workers are productive, don’t take off as much and are healthier. People are stressed there. Why not ask people anonymously what they are feeling. Ask their ideas. Don’t ask on the computer. No one trusts that their answers are anonymous. Do an inter-company glass door on paper with pros, cons and advice to be filled out with no names and put into locked boxes in the cafeteria or stairwells. Unlikely you would because you prefer to stay in your glass bubble.
    It used to be that higher ups treated underlings like equals and with respect and valued their Co-Workers. Now it’s a caste system with lack of value or appreciation for the lowly worker bees.

"Brand New Day!"

I have been working at NJM Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I’ve worked for NJM for over 14 years and I’m excited to say that I see positive changes to procedure and morale on a daily basis! We have fantastic new leadership that has been a breath of fresh air and motivated members of management who genuinely care about staff, quality of life on the job, and work-life balance. Several of us have started participating in a telecommuting program that is growing and representative involvement in changes that affect their day to day jobs & the department as a whole is at an unprecedented high. I’m proud to work for this company!

Cons

Performance standards are extremely high and some of my coworkers, specifically those who have a negative outlook and are not receptive to change, struggle to meet expectations.

Advice to Management

Keep involving employees in the decision making process and offering new opportunities. This is the right direction!

"Negative atmosphere throughout the company especially if you have a pension."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Trenton, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Trenton, NJ

I worked at NJM Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Free soup and coffee. All the incentives to stay were removed. No more pension.

Cons

Micromanaging, bullying, constant monitoring. They have implementing redundant procedures that do not work and then blame the people who can't get it done. They are understaffed because when people leave they are hardly replaced and the people.

Advice to Management

This once was a great place for everyone, the employees, the policy holders and the claimants. Now it's about saving a buck and the quality of service is suffering. Respect is lacking. If you respect yourself, you would respect others.