NJM Insurance Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.4
Bernard M. Flynn

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free soup; nicely subsidized lunch - low cost to employee (in 47 reviews)

• Good benefits, lots of time off, mostly pleasant people to work with (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Of course 2 days a week of work from home would be great (in 11 reviews)

• That the way upper management wants it (in 18 reviews)

"Insurance Producer III"

I worked at NJM Insurance full-time

Pros

Excellent Benefits, including IRA with Dollar per Dollar Company Match up to 8% of Salary, 22 Days Off per Year, 2 Weeks PTO, 5% Annual Bonus

Cons

Extremely High Customer Service Level with Extremely High Call Volume required and the bar was raised even higher in last year I was with company. Was meeting /exceeding standards prior to last year of employment.

"Customer Service Representative"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Ewing, NJ
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Ewing, NJ

I have been working at NJM Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay and the company is trying hard to progress to the level other companies are at. Training is very good. Theres a wellness center here so if you’re not feeling well you can also go there to get checked out.

Cons

PTO is horrible. They give you hours and you can’t use them, you literally have to request off weeks- months ahead of time for a day off. Forget about an emergency doctors visit here. Although the company is progressing its incredibly slow progress. Their just now starting to let a small amount of people work from home but only once a week. No room to progress within the company. Some people here have been sitting in the same spot for 10 years + praying for some progression. Representatives are paid 10k less then reps at other companies.

Advice to Management

Value your employees by giving them things they actually need. Days off, better pay, ability to work from home.

"Claims"

Pros

You will get a paycheck. You will get benefits and at the end of the year you will get a bonus.

Cons

I urge you to not be fooled by the last few "glowing " reviews. Pay attention to what people are saying . They will micromanage you to death. This company is trying to grow too quickly and spreading itself and the employees way too thin. There's a reason why long term employees are leaving. You don't just leave a job of 20+ years Bc you're sick of the free soup. We are chronically understaffed and have been for years. They want to expand expand expand but they don't want to hire more People. I guarantee the job they hire you for will change as the time goes on. You will be required to do much more than you bargained for. But you will be paid the same - if not less due to the rising cost of health benefits. There is not an adequate training program. However if you don't know what you're doing they'll ask why. If you have other options I urge you to explore them.

Advice to Management

You'll be retired soon. That's the best thing you can do.

4. "Personal Lines Representative"

Pros

Great benefits, place for advancement

Cons

Hard to get time off, micro management

"Claims adjuster"

Former Employee - Claims Representative in West Trenton, NJ
    Former Employee - Claims Representative in West Trenton, NJ

I worked at NJM Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Savings fund is great with a dollar for dollar match.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations, they micromanage EVERYTHING. Low morale.

Advice to Management

Advice to upper management, your expectations are unrealistic. Happy employees = productive employees. Stop micromanaging everything. If you treated your employees respectfully they would be happier. When the employees are happy they are more productive. I am glad to be out of the NJM culture. It is micromanaged to the point you feel like your in prison. I was there over 25 years. I love my new employer and my new job. I am respected and treated like an adult. I am so glad I left NJM.

"Credit and Collections Department"

Current Employee - Credit and Collections Specialist in West Trenton, NJ
    Current Employee - Credit and Collections Specialist in West Trenton, NJ

I have been working at NJM Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great bunch of colleagues...

Cons

Micromanaging is all the supervisor knows how to do. Manager does not know how to speak to employees. Most of the unit has been out on stress or should be due to the manager. HR does nothing and neither do her managers. Everyone is aware and turns a blind eye! 14 employees in June ... 6 in January!

Advice to Management

Too many chiefs not enough Indians! Listen to your employees and do something with your RUDE, cocky, micromanaging supervisor. The only good manager is in the legal department of collections.

7. "Claims Adjuster - General Claims"

I have been working at NJM Insurance full-time

Pros

NJM is progressing. They now allow work from home one day a week - which has been amazing. I like showing up to work in my sweatpants! Also, I just joined the BPI team and I will get to work on special projects and have an impact on the future of the Department. Talk about feeling valued! I also heard they may be rolling out a tuition reimbursement program. They are growing their business and it's a very exciting time with lots of opportunities. They are also changing their review process which will be nice!

Cons

I wish we could go to more external training. Of course 2 days a week of work from home would be great!

Advice to Management

Keep moving along - I like the changes!

"Horrible joke."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

I worked at NJM Insurance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Health insurance benefits. That is the only positive thing about this company, and the only good thing you’ll get from them.

Cons

Literally everything besides your health insurance. Company does NOT respect their employees, or care about their well being. They put on a front to look like this amazing company, but guaranteed most employees hate working there and are currently trying to find a new job. Unprofessional upper management, crap raises, so many *rules* that you can’t even have your cell phone out during the work day - even if you have a sick child or something important going on in your personal life that you may need to sporadically check your phone for. To make a call you must leave the building. It’s absurd. Treated like children. Oh and if you call out sick? Be prepared to be punished for it for at least a year.

One word of advise if you’re look to apply: RUN.

Advice to Management

Learn how to be nicer, more compassionate people who actually appreciate and care about your employees.

"Not Recommended"

I worked at NJM Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Generous Pension, outstanding benefits, free soup. Some nice co-workers. Beautiful campus. The number of vacation days/sick days are good. Option to work from home for certain employees in certain departments.

Cons

This is a company with certain managers rule by fear. If you pay attention, You will notice people walk around with fear in their eyes. Being watched closely by management can make you feel like a prisoner sometimes. NJM advertises that they do not lay off people. However, I have witnessed three good people being harassed to the point of resigning. The only thing I regret is Not to have left sooner.

Advice to Management

Hire some forward thinking managers. Treat your employees with respect not like children.

10. "IT Intern"

Pros

Nice environment, good people to work with, lots of opportunity to learn

Cons

There was no con that I felt