NVIDIA Hardware Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

US - All CitiesHardware Engineer

4.4

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • If you want to do challenging work then work life balance can be bad (in 178 reviews)

• Pathetic intern events, no space to sit, no work life balance (in 22 reviews)

1. "Senior Systems Hardware Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Hardware Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Hardware Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at NVIDIA full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedules
    Great director
    Caring coworkers

Cons

Old equipment
    Urgent task can pop up anytime
    Offices in different time zones

Advice to Management

Manage down as well
    Invest in new equipment

2. "Good momentum"

Current Employee - Hardware Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at NVIDIA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good momentum. Everybody is excited and looking forward to the future. The company is expanding. Working environment is good. Cafe menu improves since last year and food quality is going up. Benefits are okay.

Cons

Benefits could be better. 401k could be more generous. Break room sucks - I'm surprised that there is no espresso machine in my building! No free snacks or soda drinks. No onsite gyms.

Advice to Management

Yes Nvidia stock is climbing which makes the ESPP program looks attractive and it seems a lot of juice for the employees. However, there are so many items that Nvidia still acts like years ago like the Cons I listed. Those items could make employees feel less satisfied. Those items make Nvidia not that generous to its employees.

3. "Big Company that thinks it is a startup"

Current Employee - Hardware Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

smart people everywhere! Opportunities to change roles with in the company. Founder still running the company (this may be a con as well) Pretty flexible about telecommuting.

Cons

plans change very fast. If you are the kind of person who doesn't like change, this is not the place for you. Chips are cancelled and changed all the time. Workload can be very high in crunch times

Advice to Management

Keep the culture of very capable people at all levels, it's better to need more people than it is to have people who bring the rest down.

"Pay below market"

I have been working at NVIDIA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice work environment. The cutting edge technology. Play a very important role for the future. Nothing else I can mention....

Cons

Lower pay, no promotion for a really really long time. I had work for nvidia for many years but still not get promot or any RSU.

Advice to Management

Treat older employee better!

5. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Hardware Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at NVIDIA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Rapidly growing company; not a bloated work force means everything you do counts.

Cons

More meaningful and exciting work per employee; can affect work/life balance.

"Fast work environment, Innovative company"

Current Employee - Senior Hardware Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at NVIDIA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. Fast paced work environment - I mean really fast. Hardware is productized like its a piece of sw!
    2. Lots to learn and growth mindset from management means that if you want to work on something and show the technical competencies lateral and diagonal moves are possible so great place if your are looking to develop the skills and progress in your career.
    3. Honest and empathetic upper management - you would know what I mean by honesty when you listen to Jonah's all hands meeting - you will have to join Nvidia for that (we are hiring btw). I have seen that when some businesses were downsized all the workforce was absorbed into other business units.
    4. Innovative mindset
    5. Dog friendly place - my puppy loves coming to work with me and I can take him to most places around the office.
    6. Almost no red tape

Cons

No free stuff - no free lunches, no fancy coffee places in campus, no free laundry and the list goes on.
    Lot of work - teams across time zones mean that function leads have to work essentially 24 hours.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

7. "Not just another Tech company"

Current Employee - Senior Hardware Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at NVIDIA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Get to work with the best in class peers with plenty of learning opportunities
    -Excellent work ethic
    -Company is always set to solve interesting and difficult problems which matter
    -Unity among employees to provide the best in class product/solution
    -excellent leave benefits including maternity/paternity

Cons

-Limited perks and pampering compared to other tech companies

8. "Awesome place!"

I have been working at NVIDIA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, flexibility in working remote/on site, great talent around to learn from, good workflows that promote efficient engineering, allows ease of balancing work and personal life, stock performing well

Cons

emails can get overwhelming at times, teams are geographically diverse which may need night/early morning meetings

9. "My experiance with Nvidia"

Current Employee - Senior Hardware Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Hardware Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at NVIDIA full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

This is one of the most dynamic and self correcting companies I have ever seen. Its rightly categorized as a big startup. It is amazing to work here as things move at a reasonable speed and practical decisions are arrived at in almost no time. I also love the culture of being honest and straight where work has higher precedence then who proposes it. Move-on is the culture... :)

Cons

Speed comes at its disadvantage of having to take many decisions and constant learning. This also adds to overall work which means you got to love your work else may cause frustration.

Advice to Management

Overall there is less time to think about growth or ranks here but that's something most employees strive for. Which is hard to come by.

10. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at NVIDIA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is a fast-paced, exciting company to work for. You do not get "comfortable" here. You are always learning and being challenged. Everyone works professionally, which is expected of everyone, regardless of position. There is practically no bureaucracy here (at least in my department). There's no time for politics. We are always on the move for creating new solutions and getting things done. You get rewarded for your hard-work, both in compensation, career growth, and in personal satisfaction. This is definitely the place to work if you want to be in the cutting-edge of technology and bring contribution to the society.

Cons

This is a very thrifty company. You do not see any flashy extravagance. If you pride yourself in working at a company that throws big parties and expensive company events, this may not be the best place to work for you.

Advice to Management

One of the easiest ways to satisfy a worker is to fill his/her stomach with good food. This may be a low investment for the company to achieve high employee satisfaction (low turn-over rates + high productivity). Please take into consideration.