NVIDIA Reviews | Glassdoor

NVIDIA Founder, President, and CEO Jen-Hsun Huang
Jen-Hsun Huang

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance may not be great in some of the teams" (in 202 reviews)

• "Pathetic intern events, no space to sit, no work life balance" (in 23 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best Technology company of my career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at NVIDIA full-time

Pros

- I have worked in many big tech companies in the past but Nvidia is different and its own charm. Great engineers work here. It is growing exponentially.
    - R&D oriented, Advance technology, Future vision. Quality over Quantity.
    - Good medical benifits, food, 401K, office shuttles.
    - Strong leadership.
    - Pay for performance culture.

Cons

- All bonus in the form of RSUs only.
    - Getting to SC office is taking more time these days due to traffic.

Advice to Management

- Management should motivate employees to get new technology training. Workload doesn't allow it.

"What a work culture"

I have been working at NVIDIA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nvidia might not be as big as some other big players of the Bay Area, but I love the work ethics. They really seem to care about you, about the environment, about charities, about helping society.
    I love the culture of transparency, where everything is shared with everyone.
    You really never feel like they are cheating or trying to take advantage of you, except maybe when it comes to "unlimited vacations", which essentially means that the more you take, the worst you feel.
    Another strong point is to feel heard. Whether through the suggestion box, through yearly surveys or any other channel, at Nvidia you have a voice.
    Overall a great place to work!

Cons

Vacation policy. It would be so much more honest to have a set number of days, with flexibility around it, instead of a vague and abstract concept of unlimited vacation.

Advice to Management

Since Nvidia praised Europe for its GDPR policies and implemented it worldwide,
    why wouldn't Nvidia follow European practices for vacations by setting a fixed 20-30 days of vacation per year for every employee?
    Hear that, Jensen? :)

3. "Good ,could be Great!"

Former Employee - Technical Program Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Program Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at NVIDIA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very collaborative environment. People will find time to help, whatever you need.

Cons

CEO is hands on everything

Advice to Management

Let go some

"Meh"

I have been working at NVIDIA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good 401k Match - flat 6k contribution
    ESPP plan is good

Cons

Unlimited vacation is a ripoff. Its a trick to not pay unused vacation. Manager still determines how much vacation you take.
    No RSU refreshers / low RSUs.
    No annual bonus.
    Lower compensation / hikes
    Employees need to pay healthcare premiums for most plans.
    Software processes and practices are not efficient.
    Huge number of teams without revenue.
    One trick pony : GPU

Advice to Management

Diversify in areas other than GPU. Prioritize software, your customers will bless you.

5. "The dream of the product"

Former Employee - Computer Technician in Canada, KS
    Former Employee - Computer Technician in Canada, KS

Pros

You create all the product and design that you want and also it is satisfying and agréable

Cons

Only the design of the pc not the specs . Only hardware not software

6. "Sales Analyst"

Current Employee - Sales Operations Analyst in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Operations Analyst in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at NVIDIA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

New building, dog friendly, unlimited PTO, lenient schedules

Cons

not much structure in sales org. Culture has a hard time adapting to fast growth.

Advice to Management

Provide incentive to employees.

"Good culture but overworked"

Former Employee - Senior Hardware Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Hardware Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at NVIDIA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good communication between manager and IC's. Opportunity for growth given

Cons

Although they try to plan carefully, too much work and too little resources.

"Nvidia is the real deal"

I have been working at NVIDIA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'll be up front and say that it has always been my dream to work here. With that in mind, I came in telling myself to look at this place as objectively as possible to not cloud my judgement. After working here for over a year, I must say, the hype is real.

* Super transparent and surprisingly egalitarian

I've worked at other tech companies where it's all double-speak. Here, the hire ups are just regular dudes with added responsibilities. It's surprising how you'll be chatting with some random guy and you find out later he's a director or something. I've never experienced this before and it's awesome.

* The technology is incredible and so are the people who work on it

I know everyone is "Making the World a Better Place! ™" in the valley, but seriously though, what a time to be alive! Processors that were developed for insane graphics are now used for the world's most powerful supercomputers. What's even crazier is you meet the people who develop all these tools and again... they're just regular, humble dudes doing their life's work. Outstanding.

* You're not a peasant, you are an engineer at one of the best tech companies in the world

Coming into Nvidia, I was worried it would be a turn and burn shop like Amazon or IBM. A sort of "We own you, now work 90 hours a week, drink this kool-aid and love us", but it's not like that all. You're an individual and you determine your involvement/focus. This sort of freedom is incredible.

* Have I mentioned how awesome people are?

Seriously though. I show up to work so I can work on cool things and hang out with people.

Cons

There are a few, minor ones that are just kind of annoying rather than a hindrance

* Some of the Newer Hires

So I'm a recent hire, but I've noted some trends with the newer hires. Nvidia has made it to the big time and with that, we can start pulling in people who were originally gunning for the FANGs. The problem is, a lot of those people just care about RSU's, insane perks and literally nothing else.

* More on some of the newer hires

They whine about the dumbest, most entitled, first-world problems. I'm not entirely sure if that Orange Mocha Frappuccino that you were served at nvcafe is entirely vegan, gluten free and fair trade certified. I'm sorry Nvidia is so awful that we don't have personal butlers at our stand by, ready to get us a kale/tofu/avocado toast that other tech companies obviously do. I'm sorry the stock dropped a little so you can't get gold rims for your jet-ski. Oh the humanity!

I could go on, but you'll see these complaints on Glassdoor and Blind. They just care about perks and RSU's. I don't really feel like they're employees, just mercenaries ready to hop onto next thing once all their RSU's vest.

Advice to Management

Literally just keep doing what you're doing. There's a reason why Nvidia keeps adapting and pivoting to the top. Don't evercahnge into a turn and burn shop that focuses quarter to quarter. I've been at one before and it simply doesn't work. The true way to win in the valley is to build a passionate, high-powered, talented team that can overcome anything. Don't ever change this aspect about Nvidia!

"Here for the work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at NVIDIA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Exciting work. Interesting problems to solve. Coworkers are mostly easy to talk to and mostly everyone is trying to get things done instead of doing politics. So things actually get done quickly, which is already better than a lot of other companies in general..

Cons

Food is horrible. HR responses to various suggestions are very political -- nothing gets done until higher management takes notice.
    Mis-managed/dead projects teams do not work. Company POR changes quickly so it's sometimes hard to avoid such teams when you first join.
    Compensation is less than peer tech companies.

"Conflicting"

Former Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at NVIDIA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent salary, good benefits and stock had a great run

Cons

The new Endeavor building is so sterile and souless. Someone, please plant a tree or add a throw pillow somewhere.

Management tends to punch downward onto the team, rather than stick up for them.

Basic tools are nearly impossible to aquire, at least in the creative department, due to strict budget constraints, despite each record-breaking quarter.

Much of the old guard is WAY over their heads and were not prepared for such rapid growth. They seem to spend more energy protecting their positions than propelling the company forward.

Our department had the struggles of an underfunded start-up while retaining the beauracracy of a large company at the same time.