NineSigma Reviews | Glassdoor

NineSigma Reviews

Updated Feb 13, 2017

Found 13 reviews

3.5
NineSigma CEO Andreas M. Zynga (no image)
Andreas M. Zynga
  1. "Healthy Work Environment"

Former Intern - Research Intern in Cleveland, OH

I worked at NineSigma for less than a year

Pros

Friendly People; Flexible Accommodations; Interesting Work

Cons

Somewhat lacking in work accountability

NineSigma2017-02-13
  2. "Graphic Designer"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Cleveland, OH

I worked at NineSigma for less than a year

Pros

Excellent direction and feedback from Marketing Director. Interesting and varied projects. Open to suggestions, quick feedback, pays on time. Developed very productive working relationships with nice people.

Cons

The only con would be that their structure and/or personnel evolved over time and interns performed some of the work I had been doing and/or other people came into favor, as can happen. I maintain some connections with this company, which can lead to other work. So this is not really a con. Must reveal that it's been a bit longer than 2012 since I worked with them, but I did not have that choice on this form.

NineSigma2016-12-09

"Great Company, Average Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at NineSigma full-time for more than a year

Pros

The clients and the projects are interesting, and the outcomes are at times inspirational.

Cons

Unorganized management. Big ideas and vision, but not enough focus to see them through.

Advice to Management

Adding some level of middle-management could help fill the communication gaps between the SMT and the rest of the employees. This would also create advancement opportunities that are currently missing.

NineSigma2016-08-13

"Good People, Shoddy Management"

I worked at NineSigma

Pros

The people working at this company are young, dedicated, and talented. The atmosphere is laid back, open, and friendly.

Cons

Management seems to be making things up as they go along.

Advice to Management

More transparency is needed. Pick a direction and stay with it.

NineSigma2016-07-26
  5. "Good experience"

in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at NineSigma for less than a year

Pros

Forward thinking company helping many companies to innovate their product line and improve innovation

Cons

Not really any. Not exposed to their employers to write about it.

NineSigma2016-02-08
  6. "Very rare place to work."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I worked at NineSigma full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you value intelligence, heart, and grit in your coworkers, you will find NineSigma a very welcome workplace. I spent two years alongside some of the greatest minds around - both in the local office and with the international team. The program managers are extremely talented, relatable, and passionate about their work. Senior management tries to listen to employees and welcomes input... and also tries to deliver... on what they promise. The technical community of solution providers is really incredible and fascinating. It's a cliche to say that you learn something new every day on the job or you enjoy work that's never boring, blah blah blah. But this is actually true at NineSigma. You WILL do lots of things that aren't in your job description, you WILL learn about everything from hydrophobic surfaces to blockchain technologies, and you'll never be bored. And you really have to work somewhere else before realizing how nimble things were at NineSigma. Trying new things was a constant mantra and often put into practice (how rare is that!?). My small team worked well together, and my boss - part of senior management - was a fantastic mentor. I had lots of room to explore, grow, and take on new responsibilities every week. Very grateful to my boss for that opportunity and guidance. Always felt like I was daily learning more than MBA classes ever offered.

Cons

There is tension between a few departments in the organization, and I'm wagering that some negativity here stems from that. However, I completely disagree with the previous reviewer that "Almost everyone is unhappy in their job and it shows" - this is patently untrue for most of the company. An anonymous HR survey revealed that the vast majority of the company was pretty happy with their work and their colleagues... but frustrated with universal issues - lack of communication between departments, compensation could be higher, etc. On that note, I did leave NS in pursuit of higher compensation and career growth, but I had to sacrifice a work culture and people that I really miss. It's easy to complain that the company/people are slow to change, but you don't realize how great the culture is until you get to a bigger company. And while NineSigma's culture is great, my other concern was the scalability and long term outlook of open innovation in general. I think there are some exciting opportunities for NS in the future, but it may need to be nimble enough to iterate its business model again.

Advice to Management

Continue to explore and embrace new paths of open innovation. Find another gamechanger like GCs. Expect that your scientific community is changing demographically and will start to need a different form of engagement. Can't wait to see a NineSights app!!

NineSigma2016-01-27
  7. "Trying to stay alive"

I worked at NineSigma full-time

Pros

Interesting projects and topics, smart coworkers.

Cons

Management is all over the place with their decision making one quarters strategy is completely different than the next. At this point they seem to be doing things out of desperation and not because they are doing what's best long term.

Advice to Management

Gain more insights from your employee's it seems like decisions are made based solely on outside opinions not those actually doing the work and interacting with the clients.

NineSigma2016-01-24

"Internet Researcher"

I have been working at NineSigma

Pros

Requires a specialized type of thinking that is generally not taught anywhere else. Fun people to work with.

Cons

It feels there can be a disconnect between SMT and the employees. Unless you make it a note to go out and talk to SMT, you only see them at monthly company meetings.

Advice to Management

More transparency to employees

NineSigma2015-06-23

"Lack of Communication Leads to Frustration"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I worked at NineSigma full-time for less than a year

Pros

Individual employees are diverse and fun to work with. Most are respectful of others.

Cons

Almost everyone is unhappy in their job and it shows. There is a negative energy around the office that affects daily work environments. Senior Management is very disconnected from the rest of their staff and do not do a good job communicating with one another or their employees.

Advice to Management

There is much disconnect from senior management to junior-level and associate-level employees. There is no clear path forward to reach achievable goals, and the strategy often shifts by the "initiative of the month". Management needs to create a clear strategy on an annual basis and inform employees of that strategy and how their tasks translate to those specific goals.

NineSigma2015-06-26
  10. "Fast-paced and fun while constantly learning"

I have been working at NineSigma

Pros

The culture is incredible and the people are top notch. I've not been anywhere before that allows employees to forge a path the way that flexibility is afforded at NineSigma. The culture is quirky-cool and the business is fascinating. Like being in the leading edge? This is the place to be.

Cons

High growth environment and the desire to be easy to do business with means steady adaptation and change based on market feedback. This can cause some stress, but it will definitely cause personal development.

Advice to Management

Stay connected to your teams. The collaboration and closeness of professional relationships are key to the success of the business.

NineSigma2014-07-02