OpenMarket Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.4
Jay Emmet

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work life balance is always a priority (in 19 reviews)

• OpenMarket has a large focus on its core values and the GM goes out of his way to reiterate them often (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes being tied to parent company Amdocs limits our options (in 7 reviews)

• The main con I can think of is the difference in company culture that OpenMarket has in comparison to their parent company Amdocs (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Very Capable Teams and Supportive Leadership"

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at OpenMarket full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leadership supports the entrepreneurial spirit. Trying and rejiggering isn't frowned upon. As a senior program manager, I have a lot of freedom/independence to enhance my role across teams and have opportunities to reach across teams outside of Engineering and in other locations. As a result, I'm learning a whole lot about our services and technologies.

When I have questions/concerns, regardless of the topic, e.g. security requirements, platform, etc., there is plenty of support from all levels of the organization -- from Product to Engineering to Ops and from devs to PMs to senior directors. Ironically, in a place where folks actually offices with doors, communication happens very fluidly and openly.

The teams and leadership are supportive of work-life balance. There's no clocking in or out, just get your work done and go about living life. (Your pets, kids and/or mental health will appreciate this company.)

Cons

Not an ideal work place for someone who needs a lot of specific/explicit directions to get tasks done. Initiative is important for development.

Advice to Management

Maintain transparency and communication channels as the company continues to grow/mature.

2. "teams enjoy working together on interesting tech"

I have been working at OpenMarket full-time

Pros

Openmarket is really about the people. Development teams enjoy working with each other. Everyone works as a team and there are many great technical discussions and fun banter. The work is always interesting with different problems to solve involving High Availability across many locations and high throughput. Work life balance is always a priority.

Cons

the view can be distracting ;)

3. "Best tech job I've ever had"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at OpenMarket full-time

Pros

Everyone is respectful of others' opinions. The company is small enough that you get to make a real impact, and contribute significantly both to software design and implementation. Very little "red tape". You can really get stuff done. Great culture too, with lots of outings, and a "no jerk" hiring policy (no matter how good their tech skills might be).

Cons

Honestly not much to say here.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. Those one on ones with managers are really important.

"Good people involved in terrible product"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at OpenMarket full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Good mid-management - think before acting
    * Good pay - meets market average in my city
    * Nice office building
    * A company with a heart of gold

Cons

* Very old school in every aspect of the business
    * No true vision for product - the world is changing, the product is not
    * No interest in developing individuals skills if it means leaving your cubicle
    * No one joins OpenMarket if they have other options. It's a refuge for those struggling in other companies
    * From day 1 you're taught to hate Amdocs, the owner of OpenMarket

Advice to Management

Every company looks beyond tomorrow but it feels like OpenMarket doesn't have an idea what to do long term. Start listening to what the world is telling you about the future of SMS. Don't be the next Yahoo, Nokia, Blockbuster or Polaroid.

Millenials would hate working here. It's dry and boring in nearly every aspect. A developer without a gaming space or places to hide is like keeping a duck without water. The average age of the company I think reflects this.

"Lots of free food & projects that never go to market"

Former Employee - Technical Program Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Technical Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at OpenMarket full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very less work load. Lots of life. Tons of free food. Great morale events. Flat heirarchy. Good pay. Great for steady income while you engage in entrepreneurship 😉

Cons

No growth. If you like to be happy having a job which doesn't go anywhere this is the company for you. Absolutely no mentoring. The company is very flat so no one is really their to mentor you. Constant layoffs. They lay off folks every 3 months. Back in 2013 their was a big lack of direction not sure how it is now . They laid me off during maternity leave, that's pretty awful. Extremely few options to switch roles.

Advice to Management

Please have a growth plan for employees. Product managers please use lean methods to launch products. Don't make dev do the work before you have customers.

Jul 21, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We're glad to hear you enjoyed the work-life balance, flat structure and competitive pay many of our OpenMarket employees enjoy. On the other hand, it sounds like you... More

6. "Good"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at OpenMarket full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility, benefits and the people

Cons

Hours are a bit too long sometimes

"Bad experience in software engineering"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at OpenMarket full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Upper management has great vision and product direction. Sound engineering principles are a major part of this vision. Friendly coworkers. Teams are free to work as they see fit. Specifications are extremely detailed. Good architecture based on REST and microservices.

Cons

Benefits are awful. Vacation and sick time are combined and very low. No HSA-compatible health plan available. Supervisors are former devs: people skills need improvement & they sometimes make short-sighted decisions. Foundation teams produced buggy libraries with major, unannounced API changes. (This happened on several occasions.) Limited career opportunities due to small company size. Diversity program only covers women.

Advice to Management

Group meetings and orientations are very well run.
    If supervisors want to treat everyone like a junior dev, hire junior devs!!

Jun 28, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We can't improve as an organization unless we know what we need to improve upon. We're sorry to hear that you didn't have a positive experience at OpenMarket, that... More

"Great people company with a flat org structure."

Current Employee - Lead User Experience Designer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Lead User Experience Designer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at OpenMarket (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work/life balance. Opportunity for new product creation. Mostly Senior people who were smart to work with. Opportunities for personal development like conferences and book allowances.

Cons

Reporting to a vice president as an individual contributor. Too much emphasis on development and feature bloat and not enough on customer experience.

Advice to Management

No opportunity to move up. Mostly all senior positions. The flat org is great for communication and collaboration but not good for advancement and leadership opportunities.

Apr 28, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We couldn’t improve as a company without feedback from our employees. Over the past year we have conducted a number of trainings on career development, including how to... More

"A good place to work"

I have been working at OpenMarket full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A medium sized company with the benefits of being owned by a much larger company. The larger backing gives stability, the smaller company gives more flexibility and room for innovation. Global presence often with options to travel, although not required. Good tech leadership at a high level. Most offices have room to grow, especially in the development and support org. Visible continuing investment in tech - good workstations, good servers, etc. Lots of open source software.

Cons

Great senior tech leadership, but some struggles with middle management - nothing horrible but not a lot of motivation or coordination, tend to look up at senior management and not so much with their reports. A little slow in many areas to innovate and try/adapt new technologies. Occasional pains with integrations with parent company for corporate issues but nothing unbearable.

"Great company!"

Pros

OpenMarket has a great management team and they truly follow the company's core values: value people, be authentic, take ownership and deliver as a team! Also, there is work-life balance.

Cons

Depending on your position, there's no room for growth.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work in truly caring about the success of your employees!