OpenMarket Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jay Emmet

"A good place to work"

I have been working at OpenMarket full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A medium sized company with the benefits of being owned by a much larger company. The larger backing gives stability, the smaller company gives more flexibility and room for innovation. Global presence often with options to travel, although not required. Good tech leadership at a high level. Most offices have room to grow, especially in the development and support org. Visible continuing investment in tech - good workstations, good servers, etc. Lots of open source software.

Cons

Great senior tech leadership, but some struggles with middle management - nothing horrible but not a lot of motivation or coordination, tend to look up at senior management and not so much with their reports. A little slow in many areas to innovate and try/adapt new technologies. Occasional pains with integrations with parent company for corporate issues but nothing unbearable.

"Great company!"

Pros

OpenMarket has a great management team and they truly follow the company's core values: value people, be authentic, take ownership and deliver as a team! Also, there is work-life balance.

Cons

Depending on your position, there's no room for growth.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work in truly caring about the success of your employees!

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at OpenMarket full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent culture. I feel respected by my peers and management. There is certainly an emphasis on work/life balance here. Employees are happy, and that's proven by the fact that many have been here over 5 years.

Cons

The parent company can be a burden at times. A lot of nonsensical policies and unnecessary bureaucracy.

5. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at OpenMarket full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work life balance, bright future, great management, growth opportunities, no ego's, no politics, invest in employees career, smart friendly people.

Cons

Sometimes being tied to parent company Amdocs limits our options. This impacts PTO the most.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing and try to improve PTO and hardware options.

6. "Software engineer"

Pros

Working at Open market had been a wonderful experience for me to improve my java and related technology development skills. It had been a unique experience of working with a team where most of the members were physically located in Seattle, but were always available and accessible instantly via a 24/7 connected virtual meeting using google hangouts. It was a privilege working with a team of talented developers, managers, quality engineers that gave several opportunities to learn and step up from where I started off. I was happy to have worked under a manager who's technically skilled and enjoyed being hands-on code. In addition, he was an excellent human being with great understanding the needs and priorities of his team members and gave flexibility with working hour time frames or remote working as needed.
    I was happy with the benefits provided for full-time employees either directly from open market or via the parent company Amdocs, inc. Finally, a great place for work/life balance.

Cons

A bigger software development team in the Detroit office would have been encouraging.

"My dream place to work"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at OpenMarket full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I skip to work because I love it so much. Amazing culture, people and we all get a huge say in everything we create.

Cons

I got nothing to say here because I can't think of a single thing I don't like about working for OpenMarket.

Advice to Management

You rock

8. "Great Company Culture!"

I have been working at OpenMarket full-time

Pros

OpenMarket has a wonderful company culture, which can be a tricky thing to find at tech companies nowadays- work-life balance is very important. OpenMarket has the more flat structure much like a startup with the sense of stability of a larger, more seasoned company. Since we're a smaller company (around 200 employees), you feel like you are more able to make a direct impact. Management is great about letting your voice be heard. There is a lot of flexibility to make sure that employees are happy. Beautiful views of the Sound, and a quick walk to Pike Place Market for lunch.

Don't forget free pizza the first Tuesday of each month!

Cons

Being a part of the larger Amdocs organization can cause some headaches at times, but I feel it's something management has to face more than employees.

Since we're a smaller company (around 200 employees), there aren't as many opportunities for title advancement. But that isn't to say that you don't have the opportunity to drive your own career growth. Management is very supportive of developing your skills and adding responsibilities to get you to the place you hope to be.

Advice to Management

Management at OpenMarket is wonderful! They offer the tools and resources needed to ensure their teams are able to be successful but allow their employees some freedom.

"A Positive Place to Work"

I have been working at OpenMarket full-time

Pros

I chose to come to work for OpenMarket almost eight years ago. I was impressed by the emphasis on teamwork, collaboration, and work-life balance. I found those things in place after I took my non-tech role in the company, and have appreciated the teams I have worked in and with over my time so far with the company. I love the good humor and positive outlook that I generally find at work each day, both in my own office and working with others in our various locations.

I am especially excited about the current Diversity Initiative where a group within the company is working on educating ourselves and our co-workers on diversity issues and actions we can take to improve our typical dismal tech company stats regarding women and minorities in our workplace compared to the general population.

Cons

As part of the much larger Amdocs organization it seems we have reporting or requirements at times that are not needed or don't make sense for our particular smaller division. In general though, because we have been profitable, we are allowed to function fairly independently.

10. "Best company to work"

I worked at OpenMarket full-time

Pros

Best culture and best environment where best people work.

Cons

None that I know during my employment there.

Advice to Management

Best of best so keep up the great work

"great place to learn...no advancement opportunities"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at OpenMarket (More than 3 years)

Pros

intelligent coworkers
    friendly atmosphere
    flexible hours
    company encourages learning new technologies

Cons

little to no room for advancement
    can be difficult to get promotions on low visibility teams