Paycor Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Robert Coughlin

Pros
  • Fast growing company with lots of room for personal development (in 19 reviews)

• Fast-paced, innovative, focus on the client and each other (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of work-life balance due to ever-increasing workload (in 16 reviews)

• A few growing pains, but work out the issues quickly (in 16 reviews)

"Grass Is Always Greener- I'll stay a long time"

I have been working at Paycor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a young professional, grass is always greener on the other side and people focus on the negatives. Paycor has invested in me as a young professional, advanced my knowledge of the industry, pays me very well and has great health benefits in the scary ACA world right now. My manager is stellar and treats me with respect. I've only thought of leaving once and when I made it clear I was unhappy I had a lot of support to help me. At the core of all of it, Paycor wants to support people so they can help their clients better. People will always complain and people will never be happy. But this company is a shining star after working at many places that don't care about their employees as people, just as a number to make money.

Cons

There are cliques and a lot of high school stuff because of how young a lot of the workers are. Advising management not participate in that behavior would be the best thing I can imagine as a solution.

Make sales people treat others with respect instead of treating everyone like their workhorse. This place needs support and sales in order to run smoothly, stop treating your salespeople like they're Gods gift to earth....they're some of the most uneducated people in the company on the products.

Less siloed workforce between sales and support. Break down those walls, make them communicate in a neutral environment so there's less finger pointing of who messed up a client or who is worse to deal with. They need to work together, or Paycor will ultimately fail.

Advice to Management

Plan better for the future and try to get ahead of the growing pains instead of trying to play catch up. The layoffs were one of the most terrifying days I've ever had. More visibility and transparency in what's to come.

Apr 5, 2017 – CHRO

Thanks for the very constructive feedback. You mentioned that there was a period where you were unhappy, talked it out, and got the support you needed. That's a great example for others! Paycor wants ... More

"Total Nightmare"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Paycor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some truly kind and helpful people in this organization.
    There are clearly defined career paths.
    It is a paycheck.

Cons

*Sales paychecks are nearly almost calculated incorrectly. Indicative of the company at large, they can't get the most basic thing done correctly.

The company's plan to go public by simply scaling in sheer numbers backfired, evidenced by the recent lay offs.

The estimated earnings shared during the interview process is deliberately misleading.

Company culture is a facade. The sales team largely was miserable and resented middle management for their duplicitous stories and opaque reasoning.

The offer volunteer trips that are held for the photographic evidence that Paycor is indeed a company that cares. Right after these events employees take surveys asking if they feel like the company's culture and volunteer focus are genuine.

Middle management that was in place during the initial scale was inexperience and simply unable to handle the pressures of growth or managing people in general. Office favoritism dictated who can come in late and who can't.

HR is a purely a rubber stamp for the company.

Advice to Management

Clear house with middle management. Any manager who has openly gossiped about the young female SDRs or has done illicit drugs with their subordinates shouldn't be in power.

Fun story: A new hire female on inside sales was berated by a current client. Client threatened to "put a bullet in her head." After crying, female new hire was ordered to get back on the phone with client and offer discount. Current manager is still there today.

May 8, 2017 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. It’s great to hear that you valued the kind people with whom you worked; our culture truly is defined by the great people who work here. We live by Guiding Principles ... More

"Benefits"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Paycor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, competitive pay, internal organizations that you can join, benefits, gym

Cons

Being in another building separated from the rest of the company can be hard

Advice to Management

I was disturbed last year in my orientation when an employer was going over benefits with the group, and threw out several foul curse words while explaining benefits. For as well known and successful as Paycor is i was surprised to sit through an orientation like this. Futhermore, when I have reached out to their benefits team, a certain individual is very short with me and made it come across like I'm bothering them or asking a question that I should "already know". I feel that a lot of us in the sales office feel that HR at HQ is not personable when we need help/have questions.

May 8, 2017 – CHRO

Thank you for offering insights on your experience with Benefits. We know that choosing and using benefits can be confusing at times. There's no excuse for not getting personal service or the help ... More

"I never want to leave!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Paycor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast-paced, innovative, focus on the client and each other. This is hands-down the best place I've worked and I'm proud to be a part of this organization. The leadership is truly focused on the development of their associates and allows the freedom flexibility to make decisions and impact results.

I've never found a better fit that hits all buckets - culture, people, manager, position. All four are what I want and need at this point in my career. Knowing there is runway for the company to grow, I'm excited to blaze my own path at Paycor and continue my career here in the many possible ways there are to do so.

This is the first place I've worked that I would recommend to a friend!

Cons

Coming from a Fortune 500 company that is well over 100 years old, I hated the conservative, rigid, structured culture and environment. One thing that I now know was good about that was that there were processes in place for everything. I didn't like that at the time because they felt suffocating, but I see why some of them were necessary now. As a newer, rapidly growing company, many processes aren't in place. There has to be a balance between the two and I think paycor's focus this year is to find that balance. They've brought in top-notch talent who can apply structures and processes that will work, while still allowing for flexibility, innovation, and quick pivots that employees need to be successful.

Advice to Management

As the company grows, do not lose sight of the culture that has been built. People look one another in the eye and smile when passing in the hallway. Associates are happy to stay late for happy hour with their colleagues. Coworkers aren't pointing fingers at one another when something goes wrong - they work together to find a solution. This is the best culture I could ask for and hope that with growth and outside executives coming in, that doesn't change.

Mar 25, 2017 – CHRO

We appreciate the energy you have for your role at Paycor and for the culture. You're so right about finding balance - we want to grow efficiently and effectively for clients and Associates. You have ... More

"Growing Company"

Current Employee - Client Services in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Client Services in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Paycor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of growth opportunities. Great pay. Strong supporting teammates. Great atmosphere. Everyone likes to have fun and enjoy themselves. People are always willing to help.

Cons

Some growing pains. All in periods where you can't take consecutive vacation days. Still trying to balance sales volume and employee count so some part of the year you are very busy and other parts you are not as much.

Mar 29, 2017 – CHRO

Thank you for sharing your Paycor experience. The challenges that come with growth are good challenges to have. Thanks for all you do to take care of clients and colleagues.

7. "Paycor Proud!"

I have been working at Paycor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

What is not to love? A gym onsite, convenient location, large pavilion area, amazing people, growing company, celebrate doughnut days, affinity groups, active in community as well as giving back, great benefits and flexibility. This company really does take care of the client, take care of each other, gets the job done and has fun along the way!

Cons

Growing company. There are always highs and lows in any company and Paycor is definitely seeing some change. Change isn't always a bad thing (growing company is also one of my pros), sometimes this can lead to long nights. Like any job there are busy seasons (quarter end and year end for Paycor). I have been here almost two years and seen incredible results from the people Paycor employs.

I believe in our people, our products and process! We make changes where needed and get the job done.

Advice to Management

Spotlight members who are doing a great job. Each Manager should have some sort of team recognition.

Mar 29, 2017 – CHRO

Thanks for sharing your enthusiasm about Paycor. Thanks too for the reminder about taking more time to celebrate and to recognize performance. You're right - we can do better!

"Implementation Consultant"

I have been working at Paycor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, great job overall

Cons

There's an extreme disconnect with sales and implementation, causing the projects to start off track almost always.

Advice to Management

Sales aren't always the all-stars. Understand they are also part of the problem.

Mar 16, 2017 – CHRO

First, glad you love the job of consulting with our clients on activating their new software. It's a demanding role. Thank you too for sharing your concerns about the relationship between Sales and ... More

"What you see is not what you get"

I have been working at Paycor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

HQ facilities are great with the cafeteria & free gym onsite, casual dress code

Cons

no clear vision for the future, management doesn't truly support associates in terms of actual work load. They won't jump in the queue to take calls or schedule meetings - even though they have access to our calendars and the ability to schedule meetings. Expectations are not managed from the top all the way down to clients. No formal training. inconsistent policies and procedures, inconsistent communication, bench seating is not productive. Products are released and implemented before everyone is trained and supportive. Causes miscommunications with sales, client dissatisfaction and ultimately hurts retention.

Advice to Management

When you ask your employees if they can take on additional workload, listen to them when they tell you we need to hire more people or push back the release a year or two. Also, slow down product releases. Make sure employees are fully trained and capable of supporting before implemented and sold with clients.

Mar 5, 2017 – CHRO

Thank you for your candid feedback and advice. As a leadership team we recently committed to an initiative to increase the Paycor business and product acumen of all of our Associates. We recognize ... More

"Great company, okay pay"

Former Employee - HRP Consultant in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - HRP Consultant in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Paycor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Workplace culture is truly great

Cons

Salary is not as competitive to large corporations

Mar 5, 2017 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback and for contributing to the Paycor culture. Paycor sets salaries based on market conditions, Associate skills and knowledge (experience) and Associate performance. We ... More

"Don't be fooled"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Paycor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, better than normal pay. Have to put one more sentence to meet the minimum in pros because there is not any other pros to this terrible company

Cons

Where to start? First off, don't be fooled, this company is not growing. They just laid off 10% of their staff because sales are down. They never went public about the layoffs and only sent an email to clients that their current specialists "unexpectedly left Paycor" and lost a ton of clients and current employees because of the way they did the layoffs. They did them throughout the day on March 7th and once all the employees got whiff that when a manager came and tapped you on the shoulder you were gone, the employees were shaking in their boots all day because of it. Everyone that works here hates it and is looking for another job. The stress level is absolutely insane, you get way more than you can handle in implementation.. All management is clicky and has their favorites, it's a super unprofessional environment where they go out drinking with their favorites every night.. Every negative review on here is 100% accurate and all the other reviews are fake. Trust me stay far away from this company. They are not growing and I see an ADP buyout in the future. Spread the word about the layoffs, they deserve the negative publicity for messing up people's lives and also since they are not being honest with the clients.

Advice to Management

Stop picking favorites.. If you still want to party and drink all the time perhaps management is not the role for you. Look deeper into stats not just what the flawed Salesforce stats show, people are more than numbers. Don't sneakily layoff people and lie to your clients about it. Stand up for your team and your people.

Mar 29, 2017 – CHRO

Paycor employs nearly 1,500 Associates who put clients first every day. Our client base and our workforce has grown steadily year over year and is projected to continue to do so. We continue to ... More