Paycor Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 15, 2019

3.6
Robert Coughlin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The work-life balance is excellent" (in 11 reviews)

• "Fast growing company with lots of room for personal development" (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • "They preach the work/life balance but there is absolutely zero" (in 22 reviews)

• "With fast growth comes growing pains" (in 21 reviews)

1. "Control Your Own Destiny in a Top-Notch Company Culture"

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Paycor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture, Product, Service, Growth Opportunity

Cons

We've outgrown our parking lot.

Advice to Management

Continue listening to, prioritizing and investing in bottom-up ideas. There are a lot of smart people with great ideas on the front lines of Paycor's business.

2. "Exceptional Learning Team"

Current Employee - Principal Instructional Designer in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Principal Instructional Designer in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Paycor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been with Paycor for over a year, and purposely waited until I passed my one-year anniversary to add my thoughts to Glassdoor. After experiencing all four seasons at Paycor, I can truly say, making the move to this company was a great one for me professionally and personally.

Prior to joining Paycor, I worked with the same company for over ten years. My prior company employed tens of thousands of employees, and I often felt like nothing more than a number. I had hit the ceiling regarding how far I could progress my career because of my work location, and I felt like I was often told what to do, rather than being able to collaborate, and share my ideas in coming up with the strategy and approach for a project.

This is where Paycor enters the picture for me. I came in for my interview and met with four senior leaders who shared their perspective and role within the learning team. Everything I heard had me excited about the potential impact a different company smaller workplace and department could have on my career.

Shortly, thereafter, I joined the Paycor Learning team. My experience with Paycor has been nothing short of a whirlwind for the past year. I have had the opportunity to share my opinions, ideas, and strategize on very large scale, high-visibility projects while working hand in hand with Senior Management and the Vice President of the Learning team. The direct result of these opportunities is that I have become a more well-rounded, confident team member. I brainstorm and work on large-scale training plans and projects with leadership and subject matter experts to ensure we are meeting the needs of our learners. My voice and ideas are always heard.

From the beginning, I made it known to our VP and my Senior Manager that my goal is to ultimately join the leadership team. This was not just a goal of mine that was shared and then put to the side. Rather, my goal is something that my manager helps me to stretch toward every time we meet, and our VP takes the time to meet with me to provide feedback and areas for growth. I feel that for the first time, my goals are being taken seriously, and I am given the opportunity to grow and get closer to my goal with every task and project that I am assigned.

The Leadership team and the direct members of my team are awesome. I have honestly never worked with a smarter, more innovative team. Every single person has something unique to offer and our collaboration together has helped us to surpass our goals and deliver a huge amount of efficient and effective learning deliverables to our internal and external learners.

While every individual has a different perception of their workplace and work experience, I firmly believe our team has nothing but the greatest intentions and truly strives to drive us to be the absolute best we can be. And yes, we have received quite a few awards and recognition over the past two years, and that is nothing but a direct reflection of the passion, expertise, and dedication every single person brings to our team.

Cons

If you arrive past 9 am or leave for lunch, finding a parking spot becomes extraordinarily challenging. I have come to the building before and all spots are full, including overflow parking.

Advice to Management

Continue to embrace flexible work arrangements. In a role where creativity and deep thought is key, it is not always something that happens during typical business hours from a cube with many disruptions throughout the day. The ability to work in a way that fosters creativity and allows team members to tap into when they get their best work done would be appreciated and likely result in a bump in productivity.

3. "It's like family"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Paycor full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You get to identify a problem and help solve for the greater good. That is one easy way to advance your career within Paycor.

Cons

We are not spoiled with a Parking garage.

Advice to Management

Keep doing awesome work and grow the company more.

"Great people...terrible work life balance"

Former Employee - Associate Implementation Consultant
    Former Employee - Associate Implementation Consultant

I worked at Paycor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are the reason I stayed as long as I did. They are truly family and each one of us were in it together. If it weren't for the amazing friends I met, I would have left the company much sooner.

Cons

If you enjoy a personal life... you can forget about it. Black out dates, 10-12 hour days 2/3 of the year. This position is discussed as a project management position but all it is, is a big baby sitting gig. Calling clients that have no intention of ever reaching back out to you and getting dinged on your bonus because you failed to "start" enough people for the quarter. If you're contemplating this position... think long and hard. The grass isn't always greener.

The turn over is also a HUGE issue... at the rate people leave, they can't replace them fast enough, you will have 1 person hired for every 2-3 leaving. The vast majority of the team is tenured at 1 year....

Advice to Management

Value your employees. They are working their tails off to make the business succeed. Realize that they are more than just a number.

"Really happy I made the move to Paycor!"

Current Employee - MMSE in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - MMSE in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Paycor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very focused on client service experience. I am confident knowing that after the sale, my clients are in good hands. Great energy, excellent training, terrific comp plan, great benefits, always evolving

Cons

I have no complaints whatsoever.

Advice to Management

None, I think they've done a great job with the on-boarding and training. The resources and marketing we have at our fingertips is amazing.

6. "Sales Exec"

Pros

Flexible schedule, great benefits & competitive salary for the industry

Cons

None at this time. Great compant

"Culture of Fear is Alive and Well in P&IT"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwood, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwood, OH

I worked at Paycor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is not a bad company overall. They do a lot of community outreach and volunteering, which is great. They have decent benefits, a free gym, and a reasonably prices cafe with decent food. I am hopeful the product and IT department will change their culture for the better (see cons). There are a lot of good people there and as far as a technology company they are always pushing the boundaries from a technical perspective.

Cons

Paycor is very fast paced. A lot of other companies I worked for where not slow by any stretch but comparatively Paycor has them beat. Due to this pace there is a lot of stress and issues. There are 22+ scrum teams that all have different priorities and inner-team dependencies becomes a huge problem that they have not been able to solve. I will also mention that it is a not a great culture (only speaking of the product and IT department, but I heard bad things from other departments as well), when things go wrong the first order is business is to determine blame (this is ultimately what caused me to leave). I think this has been made worse by a new CTO that joined last January. A lot of the old guard (mostly director and VP level) are scared and there is a lot of CYA going on when things go wrong. They also have a large and cumbersome change management and release process that everyone needs to adhere to. They do have a DevOps group that is slowing making progress but they struggle implementing the changes that the company needs due to the leadership that have been there a long time that have a preference to keep things status-quo.

Advice to Management

Focus on building a culture of trust and empowerment (based on trust not role authority).

Stacy, the president, in a quarterly company presentation by the executive leadership acknowledged the culture of fear and declared victory over it. Only to be followed by the CTO who said that those on the incident call understood that there jobs were on the line if they did not engage. What?

8. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Paycor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Talented people, good culture, diversity

Cons

Silos, Women in minority upper management/executive positions

9. "Great People, bad technology choices"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Paycor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly people, decent benefits, reasonable work life balance. Work from home benefits.

Cons

Shaky agile practices, reliance on new, untested frameworks and technologies driven by developers more interested in building resumes than robust applications

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Principal in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Principal in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Paycor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Team atmosphere - respects diversity

Cons

Parking can be difficult at times