Paycor Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
Robert Coughlin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Fast growing company with lots of room for personal development (in 20 reviews)

• The work-life balance is excellent (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of work-life balance due to ever-increasing workload (in 18 reviews)

• Lots of growth so typical growing pains (in 20 reviews)

"Balance Entry"

Current Employee - Balance Entry in Norwood, OH
    Current Employee - Balance Entry in Norwood, OH

I have been working at Paycor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great Environment
    -Supportive Management
    -Opportunity for growth

Cons

-Peak Seasons
    -Agency Rule Changes
    -Tight deadlines

Nov 7, 2017 – CHRO

Thank you for sharing your insider view of working at Paycor in Client Service. It's Associates like you who help Paycor live up to its industry reputation of providing exceptional service to clients.... More

"Software Developer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Frisco, TX
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Frisco, TX

I worked at Paycor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work. Lots of learning opportunities. This is the company for those who likes fast paced environments.
    They use high-tech upto date technology to build the product.
    Fun place to work, lots of activities and celebrations.
    Good work life balance.

Cons

Too much fast paced environment.
    Priorities changes too often.

Advice to Management

There are people who are very talented and can bring great values to paycor. Please try to retain them.

Nov 7, 2017 – CHRO

From our Director, Program Management: Thank you for sharing your Paycor experience. While we are a fast paced environment, we do balance our workload with team celebrations, ability to learn new... More

"Over worked"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Paycor full-time

Pros

The salary is comparable or better than other payroll companies

Cons

No work/life balance, unless you are at the OH corporate office it’s horrible

Nov 6, 2017 – CHRO

From our Jacksonville Client Service Leader: At Paycor we pride ourselves on taking care of both our clients and employees, and appreciate you sharing your experience. Across the Payroll industry... More

4. "Great Sales Organization"

Current Employee - MMSE
    Current Employee - MMSE

I have been working at Paycor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent people, the leadership team supports reps and want to see them succeed.
    Technology is great, and very rare that we lose opportunities due to feature functionality.
    Competitive wages, and monthly/quarterly incentives.
    Strong thought leaders.

Cons

Over complicate things at times, and can put a lot of information on sellers.

Advice to Management

Keep it simple, and don't forget what makes Paycor a great organization - great people, service, and technology.

Oct 23, 2017 – CHRO

Thanks for sharing your Paycor experience. Thanks too for the advice about keeping it simple. We're looking at all of our people practices - hiring, onboarding, training, and communication - to make... More

5. "Amazing place to work!!!"

Current Employee - Sales in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Sales in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Paycor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've been with Paycor going on 6 years in 3 different roles and 2 cities and still love coming to work every day. It's amazing to know the solutions we sell truly make an impact on our clients. Sales isn't easy but it's a great feeling when you talk to a client you sold 5 years ago and they are still thrilled with their decision to use Paycor. Any one in sales knows how rare that can be and Paycor truly takes care of their clients and their employees.

Cons

Paycor is growing and changing every day. Not a con but a fact that change can be difficult and isn't always for everyone.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing - take care of the clients, our employees and have fun along the way.

Oct 23, 2017 – CHRO

Thanks for sharing your insights on working at Paycor. You're a great example how growth brings opportunity. In any given year, 35% or more of Paycor Associates take on new roles via promotion or... More

"MMSE"

Pros

Great mid market product, great sales support if you also stay up to speed, great benefits, good company vision and controlled growth.

Cons

VPs and Manager clicks overlook the truth when you escalate issues from the front line and you are on your own as they sweep it under the rug. All talk and no action, of course this can change from location to location. The usual response from a company yo negative feed back I have seen is PAYCOR is not for everyone. Yet the hard working ethical good employees often leave because managers and upper level do not follow their own mission statements or show the front door out to those who consistently violate the ground rules set forth. Shame on the leaders.

Advice to Management

If their are issues on the front line who brings in revenue for the company , I would listen hard to those comments and be proactive and not defensive. I would still be there if numerous attempts were no ignored, especially when the surveys from entire teams say the same. You need good leaders to lead good sales people not discourage them.

Oct 23, 2017 – CHRO

Thanks for offering feedback on your Paycor experience. Sales leaders play an important role in supporting sellers through the highs and lows of the sales process and in coaching to top performance... More

"Major Market Sales"

Current Employee - Major Market Sales Executive in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Major Market Sales Executive in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Paycor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice looking technology that gets upgraded quarterly. I really enjoy working with my teammates. The offices are very modern looking. If you are looking for a job, they are always hiring because there is so much turnover.

Cons

Turnover is high. I've worked at other payroll companies, and the industry has high turnover, but it's at a different level here. From Senior leadership all the way down. Micromanagement is taken to an all new level. Leadership from the top down needs changed. I'm sure the HR response will be that we are a growing company, BUT, know that sales are down, and as a sales organization we are not hitting numbers. Why? Because our implementation team cannot start deals. They are completely overworked, and have super high turnover too. The only growth this company see's is from their current client revenue. Not sure how managers are chosen, but if you have any experience in a management role (in any industry) you could be a manager here. What stinks about that is the skills are not always transferable. 2nd line leaders come into each office and ask for more, more, more, without giving any ideas on how to produce more. I'd love to do more, but would also like guidance. If you are a new rep, you will get some training. Hopefully you pick up things quickly and you get some deals in your pipeline because if not, managers will almost "disown" you, and you won't be receiving s commission check for 4-5 months, as implementation can take a very long time to get a sale started.

Advice to Management

You need to look at your own processes and change your ways. You ask too much of your sales reps without giving direction. It's one thing to make everyone out stuff into salesforce, it's another to actually coach them and give guidance.

"Empty Promises"

Former Employee - Sales in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Sales in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Paycor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are so many great people at Paycor that offer a sense of comfort and support whenever you're at the office. It's growing and they're working to develop and cement a strong national brand.

Cons

-Empty promises about open roles and promotions, even for top-performers that have well exceeded their responsibilities for a long period of time.
    -C-Suite executives dip their hands into matters that don't concern them because they're scrambling to recover from the fact that they're massively under-performing with their own metrics.
    -Micro-management is rampant as sellers aren't trusted to hit their numbers even if they've shown consistency.
    -Animosity across departments.
    -Prefer to hire externally, many roles are dead-ends.
    -Been trying to go public for 3 years but unable to make actionable progress.

Advice to Management

Practice the 9 Guiding Principle's that you publicly preach, including "take care of each other." Stop alienating your own people by halting their professional growth when it's been mutually agreed upon by employee/manager that they would be thriving in their next role. Trust the people that you hire, get out of their way, and take care of them with a lens for the future.

Nov 10, 2017 – CHRO

From Paycor's Vice President, Sales: Thank you for your feedback – it is truly unfortunate to learn of your negative experience. As you shared, Paycor is in high growth mode and that is typically... More

"Solutions Consultant"

Current Employee - Solutions Consultant in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Solutions Consultant in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Paycor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture, Leadership, Community Partnerships, Product, Client Retention, Employee Retention and Internal Career Development. I have never worked for a company that gives back to the community like Paycor does and uses its clients for various opportunities. It is a joy to volunteer at current clients that are using and providing feedback about our services. I have enjoyed my experience since coming on board and am looking forward for whats to come. This was my 3rd corporate career change, and also I enjoyed my career prior, Paycor offered something that was far more valuable and appealing. I love the people I work with and the leadership and advice I get on a frequent basis.

Cons

I wouldn't necessarily call this a Con, but I would advise anyone that is applying, if you are not used to a fast paced, growing technology software company that believes in hiring self sufficient sales professionals, then this is probably not the best place. Every company has it's issues, but I have read several reviews on here, negative in which those probably weren't a good fit for Paycor or didn't give it a chance. Also do your research. I have referred many, and some that really wanted to come to Paycor, but did no research on the company or the industry, and may not have liked it. Know what you are applying and interviewing for!!!

Advice to Management

Continue what you are doing around our growth and expansion. Continue to also keep the employees in the know of what is going on currently and what the future looks like. This is great already, but in working with previous companies, this is one area that can either start rumor mills or have an negative impact on employee engagement and morale.

Sep 26, 2017 – CHRO

Thank you for sharing your Paycor experience. The pace of our business moves at the pace of our clients - quickly. Associates who have a bias for action and for getting the job done thrive here... More

"Major Market Sales"

Current Employee - MMSE in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - MMSE in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Paycor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Technology is very good if it is fully baked out before release.

Cons

When I started with Paycor 5 years ago it was the last place I wanted to work. I loved the culture, enviroment and believed in the culture and mission statement. Now I am looking to leave due to horrible management, implrmentation and engagement issues. I worked in small business sales and entry level advertising sales and have never been micro managed like this in 20 years of sales. Managers that have no business being employed by this company in control of my career is absolutey astonishing to me. A manager hired that has never sold or managed a major market process before telling me how to sell major market accounts. UNBELIEVABLE!! Not to mention from ADP the worst company of all.

Advice to Management

Learn how to hire and if you are going to hire make sure they can be upcoached, because that is not the case today. Learn management styles and behaviors because blanket management is not the way to lead a team. Senior management realize when a tenured rep is telling about issues do something versus turnover which cripples any company. Fix implementation issues and service problems and listen to frontline sales since they are your conduit to the market.

Nov 10, 2017 – CHRO

From Paycor's Vice President, Sales: Thank you for your transparency. The environment that you describe is not the one we aspire to create, nor is it consistent with other feedback that we hear. Our... More