Physio-Control Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Physio-Control President & COO Mitch Parrish
Mitch Parrish

Pros
  • Very innovative, life-saving company (in 11 reviews)

• Great work life balance with a solid 40 hour work week block schedule allowing to leave the office for personal appointments (in 6 reviews)

Cons

1. "Pricing and Contracts Analyst"

Former Employee - Pricing & Contracts Analyst in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Pricing & Contracts Analyst in Redmond, WA

I worked at Physio-Control (Less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers were great
    Short commute
    Nice outdoor view
    Affordable cafeteria food
    3 weeks PTO

Cons

The company culture is old school, hard to move up without putting in the time

2. "Assembler"

Former Employee - Receptionist in Renton, WA
    Former Employee - Receptionist in Renton, WA

I worked at Physio-Control (More than a year)

Pros

Good company to work at

Cons

Very poor management, and too much favoritism!

Advice to Management

As a professionals, you should know what to do, what to change.

3. "Schedules and ungency/ planning"

Former Employee - Senior HW QA Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Senior HW QA Engineer in Redmond, WA

I worked at Physio-Control (Less than a year)

Pros

Good location, good projects, friendly personal, Fair amount of test equipment with decent budgets, Good information monthly company results from senior staff and CEO. Onsite cafeteria with good variety of selections and nice campus

Cons

Lacks sense of timeliness of projects and priorities. Gets caught up in minutia and not making decisions, lack of sense of doing what is right and implementing it in a timely manner. 5+ years on same project and still need 1 year. All personnel below management laugh at new schedule after it is released.

Advice to Management

Get involved with Engineering meetings, actually go to engineering meeting and motivated personnel. Look at self for why high turnover of personnel.

5. "Nice Company"

Pros

They have a cafeteria, a gym, and even a recreation room.

Cons

A bit further from my home.

"Great People, Great mission"

Pros

-I love their mission Statement, "We make lifesaving tools for lifesaving teams..."
    -It makes you feel like you are really making a positive impact in the community when you go to work.
    -The Annex (Free beer on Thursdays, TV with Cable, classic arcade games, pool table, foosball table)
    -Gym and volleyball tournament

Cons

-needs to hire more young people
    -slow working environment

7. "Great mission, but pure management."

Former Employee - Principal Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Principal Engineer in Redmond, WA

I worked at Physio-Control full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Open work environment. Smart engineers. Good benefits. Good fitness center that cost only $10 per month for full time employees. Open work environment.

Cons

Upper management not have a vision about the future. Research is not appreciated at all and too much politics inside the company. All projects are delayed on significant time. Many recent lay-offs.

Advice to Management

Hope Stryker will bring more experinced high managers, who will be able to organize a right work and finish projects on time.

"Project Engineer"

Pros

Nice amenities for employees and smart co-workers.

Cons

Lack of professional management to lead company thru its growing pains and become more efficient in their processes. The work environment is toxic and political.

Advice to Management

Take an active role in helping your company grow. Take a sincere interest into resolving your organizations inability to truly expand and collaborate across teams;allowing projects to succeed within realistic timelines.

"Stryker and Physio Control"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Physio-Control full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great mission
    Improvements to facilities
    Desire to be a leader in the industry

Cons

In effective managers, which aren't removed and continue to cause turn over.
    Old boys club makes it hard for women to move up or even get fair pay.
    Disconnect between Global teams, where some teams get more improvement than others. Double standard on how budgets are spent under the same VP.
    Poor work life balance in many departments.
    Improvement projects are constantly stuck in IT, due to VP taking money out of IT for years.
    Outdated computers, IT infrastructure and operating systems. Team members spend a lot of time waiting on their computers, reducing productivity.
    Due to being so far out of date it will take years for Stryker to make any progress, even with sizable investments.
    Lower pay was justified by great benefits including healthcare, that now with Stryker is horrible healthcare, more expensive premiums, more out of pocket and smaller network. So the low pay is even lower and there is more people leaving.

Advice to Management

Take an honest look at your organization, look at all the people who are leaving. Some turn over is good, but you are losing a lot of talent, with a lot of knowledge that is needed.

"Management has Lost Their Way"

Pros

We make life saving products for life saving teams. The office in Redmond is decent, we have a cafeteria and a gym.

Cons

We were acquired by Stryker earlier this year and we're waiting to see how the integration progresses. Brian Webster is no longer CEO (a good thing in my opinion), but Mitch Parrish former COO stepped into the CEO position (or whatever he's called now we're part of Stryker). Also not a good thing. The leadership - I use that term loosely - is lost. Directors and VP's run around worrying about golf rather than helping the team members with direction and goal setting. Very white male culture, shockingly so. It's amazed me how they get away with all the unprofessional behavior (gossip, trips, affairs with employees, etc.). HR is floundering as well - they can't complete the most rudimentary tasks so that leaves the managers struggling with even more to do. Recent new hires at the Senior Manager and Director levels have absolutely no medical device manufacturing experience. Since they receive no training, they don't know how to contribute for a good 6-12 months after being hired. Some of the "leaders" don't like the idea of Stryker owning us and have become active obstacles to the integration. The acquisition has brought the worst out in some of the leadership team and they surround themselves with people who do nothing but stroke their egos. Until Stryker makes some changes, I'd stay away from Physio-Control.

Advice to Management

Please leave. If you can't or won't do that, then try to behave like leaders. Get a professional coach if you don't understand what behaving like a leader means. Stop hiring these incompetent managers and directors who either have no management or leadership experience and/or no medical device manufacturing experience. The rest of us (and our customers and the FDA) can't wait for them to play catch up to contribute. I'm tired of carrying the dead weight.

"moving out of the dark ages?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Physio-Control full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong mission
    Generally good people, although competence levels vary
    Installed base of products creates strength (but also complacency)

Cons

Hopefully Stryker will continue to clean house as appropriate. The top two leaders were quickly taken out by Stryker due to their affair and incompetence.
    Leadership has been notoriously removed from and/or unaware of issues. Hopefully this improves with the departure of the top two leaders

Advice to Management

Act as one team and support employees in reaching goals vs. simply being an armchair critic.