Primark Reviews | Glassdoor

Paul Marchant

1,818 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "No staff discount also younger workers paid less" (in 109 reviews)

• "No discount for any of the items" (in 111 reviews)

"Good"

I have been working at Primark part-time

Pros

Plenty of overtime, good training

Cons

Managers are all on different pages— each days something different and it confuses the employees

2. "Primark"

I worked at Primark part-time

Pros

Consistent Schedule
    Travel Opportunities
    Extra Hours Available

Cons

High Work Load
    Unmotivated Coworkers
    Passive Management

Advice to Management

Manage the employees

3. "Completely Ridiculous"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Primark full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

+great coworkers
    +store managers can be friendly
    +great PTO policy (if you could take it)

Cons

+upper leadership does what they please when they please
    They are so far removed from the stores and no chance of them realizing what it’s like to have to work nights and weekends and/or function in a live store environment. Lack of respect towards personal lives is out of this world. They consistently arrive late to visits due to them “partying” the night before. They may say we will be at your store by 11am and not show until 4pm. They expect everyone to still be there ready for them at a moments notice. We’ve had to work from 5am until 11pm because of these so called visits and you are told “it’s your career, do what you want”. You’re expected to be at their beck and call 24/7.
    +P&C managers are a joke
    Your P&C department (HR) is a joke. Managers are more concerned with saving themselves or worrying about how they can afford their next car because their lease is up rather than supporting the store in making beneficial decisions such as helping the multitude of associates who have substance abuse issues or maybe staffing the store with quality talent rather than telling the managers “I have a body count I need to hit” or maybe addressing the issue of sexual harassment in the workplace? When several underage workers complain about an employee and the response is “he is seasonal, he will be gone in a few weeks”. On top of all that they consistently make up “labor laws” such as only salaried employees can conduct interviews for positions which is ironic because the amount of labor laws they break is astronomical. Minor violations much? How about the lack of breaks they provide for associates or the fact that you can be denied a bathroom break.
    +upper field leadership is so distant and unapproachable and probably not from this country.
    Most senior leaders are from overseas if not all of them. They forced all American leaders out because they just all suck at their jobs. The mentality is America = Bad. Scotland = Great. They will also talk to you however they please. Forget about being polite or saying thank you. I’m talking downright disparaging remarks such as making fun of your sexuality or possibly even telling “I will drop you in a pool of your own blood” forget about reporting it. It does no good, in fact it would literally cause them to make you a target because you opened your mouth.

All I’m saying is think twice before you join America’s fastest growing retail brand. The pay might be competitive and they might sell you a dream but it turns into a nightmare and I’m speaking from personal experience. Once you drink the kool-aid everything seems great until the kool-aid runs out and you realize that you’re miserable. Just think twice. :)

Advice to Management

Read the comments and change. My review is not the only one and I’m sure it won’t be the last. Read the comments and make a change.

4. "Floor assiten"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malden, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malden, MA

I have been working at Primark part-time

Pros

The best reason to work at primark is because you get to experience new things.and you get to experience how to answer customs and it will help you for the future

Cons

Theres norhing bad about working

Advice to Management

If you come to work just work

5. "It was a good experience"

I worked at Primark part-time

Pros

It was a good experience

Cons

long hours but it was ok

"Good for first job."

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Staten Island, NY
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Staten Island, NY

I worked at Primark part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the managers are nice and the other employees are young and kind.

Cons

Didn't let me switch schedules, wouldn't tell anyone any information about when the season ended, employees are childish and many flirt way too much. Accused me of hiding things in the stock room.

Advice to Management

Be more understanding to schedules.

7. "Simple"

I worked at Primark part-time

Pros

It's a break from typical american clothing stores.

Cons

Unique schedules. Some tension between staff due to changing leadership

8. "Working at Primark"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Assistant in Downtown Crossing, MA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Assistant in Downtown Crossing, MA

I worked at Primark (Less than a year)

Pros

flexible time, 12/hour, generous Paid-time off, relatively good upper management

Cons

Repetitive, tiring, fast-paced, (retail so)

9. "terrible management"

Former Employee - Department Manager
    Former Employee - Department Manager

I worked at Primark full-time

Pros

the pros are good pay,benefits,401k,culture and pricing .

Cons

lack of sympathy for personal problems. predominantly white and poor diversity on the top level. will target you if they don't like you. The manager that i had the experience of working with was rude, lack empathy and intellectually dishonest. If you get on their bad side they will create a bully atmosphere to push you out once they deem you to be a target. Also fraternization in the work place seems to be excepted since the store manager and lower level manager are in a relationship working in the same store/location.

Advice to Management

Learn better management skills. Big egos, one way communication and resistance to change will only give your company a revolving door and bad reviews.

10. "One-Year Review"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Primark part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Honestly not much. They boast about a $12/hr pay and a flexible schedule, and compared to a lot of other retail stores those are great, but $12 is not cutting it, and sometimes they won't even give you a flexible schedule anymore.

Actually, a pro could be that everyone is to some extent, friendly.

Cons

Sometimes supervisors don't get along (there is so much gossiping and badmouthing). The fact that supervisors don't get along shows that management is lacking in their leadership skills and that P&C is not doing a good job at hiring competent people.

In addition to the incompetent new hires, the turnover rate is ridiculously high; out of an orientation of 10 people , honestly only 1 or 2 will stay.

Advice to Management

At this point in time, I think there needs to be major work done to management/supervision and sales associate morale. I would hire a professional consultant to pinpoint areas of conflict and help us better the company.

Showing 1,818 of 1,888 reviews